The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
How "politically correct" are you? Do you select your words, or do you just blast through ****** and chinky like it's no big deal?

Alternatively, how do you view political correctness? Is it just a backwards form of racism?

Old February 2nd, 2013, 07:51 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I try to be as PC as possible, because that offends people. I don't care my own personal opinions about whether or not PC should be a thing, because it hurts people and I will go out of my way not to hurt people if I can.

But most of the time I don't have to think too hard about it. It just comes naturally to me.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Despite being around racist people quite often, I generally try to be careful to avoid offending people. If I'm referring to myself, however, it's a different matter. Or if it's directed toward me. If someone calls me a cracker, I'll just laugh.

Edit:
I don't want to spam up the thread, so I'm replying with an edit, instead.

@TornZero-
Your post actually made me laugh. I admit, for a while I thought that was the sense the word was used in. But even knowing what it really means, it doesn't really seem offensive to me?
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)

Last edited by ⊗Slenderman⊗; February 2nd, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
TornZero
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
If someone calls me a cracker, I'll just laugh.
Call 'em Polly. Clearly they like talking about crackers, and everyone knows Polly loves them crackers. |D

But yeah, I generally try to avoid offensive terminology like n*****, unless it has another (at least somewhat) well-known meaning. For example, I have no problem telling a friend how gay they look if they seem happy, or using chinks as a sound effect. (For Fire Emblem players, they hopefully know of all the ever-satisfying chinks when an enemy does no damage.)

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I try not to offend people, but there are times when being 100% PC would have me buy into some ridiculous stuff. If you look me in the eye and say your sexual orientation is aromantic demisexual then I will nod, change the topic, and laugh at you behind your back because you feel the need to use ridiculous labels.

Also aromanticism and demisexuality don't mix so that actually is a joke worth laughing at
Old February 2nd, 2013, 10:45 PM
Brynjolf
It's so overt it's covert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets Witch View Post
I try not to offend people, but there are times when being 100% PC would have me buy into some ridiculous stuff. If you look me in the eye and say your sexual orientation is aromantic demisexual then I will nod, change the topic, and laugh at you behind your back because you feel the need to use ridiculous labels.

Also aromanticism and demisexuality don't mix so that actually is a joke worth laughing at
Ugh, I agree with the ridiculous labels. Honestly, the only sexuality labels that NEED to exist are gay, lesbian, trans, bi, cisgender, and gender-fluid. Other than that, it's not a label, it's just your tendencies. Demisexual = I only do it with someone I love/stuff along those lines. Like, really? You're gonna say "oh I'm a demisexual lesbian"? Really? No. You're just lesbian. Stop. You are a lesbian who only loves your lover. Goodness.
That drives me insane.

Anyyyywaaayy... Back on track.

I'm not very politically correct. I am actually quite racist sometimes..

I try though. :\ I'm pretty arrogant sometimes.. Ugh.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:20 AM
shenanigans
GONE DANCIN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
do you just blast through ****** and chinky like it's no big deal?
ahahahah dying right now

...from that you could say that yeah, I'm generally not PC in the slightest - although I only really say non-PC things around friends who I know won't take too much of an issue over it. I just see it like... it's me saying what I want to say and if it doesn't offend anyone around me - which I generally make sure it won't - then there's no harm done at all. Everyone's a winner!

As for my views on political correctness, I... don't really care until someone starts shoving it down my throat at which point I feel they really need to lighten up. If someone wants to be politically correct then that's fine by me - but lecture me about it and I will promptly label you a ******. Oops.

...and regarding the above censored-and-beginning-with-f word, I'm reminded of how often political correctness goes flying out the window when different places mean different things with different words. I have a huuuuuuge set of words I could use which are just as offensive as the ones which people gasp and pass out at hearing which I could easily fire off without people really getting what's wrong, yet if I only want to say cigarette, or ***, that's automatically not ok. Political correctness isn't even transferable, and so since it's so varied between people and always interpreted and reacted to differently and whatnot, I'm kinda left thinking "well what's the point in the first place". Maybe I'm just rude lol.

Last edited by shenanigans; February 3rd, 2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Katholic Nun
of the Khristian Kollection

Nature: Adamant
I like to be courteous of other people's feelings, but at the same time I don't like being politically correct when I'm forced to be. I don't like being limited and if somebody tries to limit me I will push the limits as far as I can.

If left to my own devices and unrestricted, I am happy to be PC lol

Moderator of General Chat
PAIR(S)|NOW|TUMBLR
"like when AT&T was paying for our meals in dallas you bet your ass I ordered the lamb" - Oryx, 2014 A.D.
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Caelus
Gone

I try to be politically correct so I don't offend people but if I know they won't be offended by it then I'll say it like once every blue moon. While I understand why you should not use some words I don't like having a limit in what I can say and can't say.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I try my best to be PC but most of the time I fail to me sadly..
Old February 4th, 2013, 08:03 AM
daigonite
Ninjas Against Bottomless Pits
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I really don't give a damn about Political Correctness. I'm not gonna say anything that's OBVIOUSLY meant to offend someone and I wouldn't say something that's explicitly racist, but I'm gonna quote what I said in another topic that sums up pretty nicely about how I feel about PC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
A related example, it's like my best friend is a blind guy. I make jokes about it all the time - ranging from him shooting lasers out of his twitching eyes, killing everyone, to dumb drivers running him over. People stare at me and act like I'm an ******* but he's laughing with me, and I'm there for him when he needs help from me for whatever reason, and honestly isn't that the kind of **** friends do? It's our way of playing around with each other and it makes us both feel natural with each other. Political correctness is lame.
It's fairly unfortunate since these kinds of jokes and playfulness are restricted between us, because as soon as I tell people about our adventures, they stare at me like I'm some kind of horrible person, when in reality he's making half the jokes too.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I just blast through ****** and chinky like it's no big deal.

I hate political correctness, even if it's something that someone says that's really their opinion. I view it as them being politically correct and immediately think less of them for it. Happens all the time on PC and I think that's why my opinion of the memberbase isn't the best. Most recent case where it really bothered me was the thread I made here in OVP about murdering someone in your dream. Literally everyone who said they didn't have a dream like that (whether it stands to be true or not) I viewed to be being politically correct and I rolled my eyes and said "okay" sarcastically.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I try not to offend people, but most of the time I say what I thought because I generally have no filter. If that offends people, I apologize, but then I explain that's just how I am.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links