The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Advertise here

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy

Advertise here
Zubat learns Mean Look, but has no eyes. Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly yet they appear as though they have no wings. Which Pokémon do you think can learn moves they probably shouldn't be able to?
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Garoucher

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Doduo and Dodrio can learn Fly yet they appear as though they have no wings.
Doduo and Dodrio can learn fly because they spin their heads like a helicopter. Or they do a giant jump. It is the most logical explanation.
I never understood why Diglett and Dugtrio can learn Cut and other moves like that. Seriously, why?
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
It's got nothing to do with appearances, but I never really liked that a fair amount of Ground types learned Mud Sport. Its effect ends when the user switches out, so why even bother using it in the first place if you're immune to it?
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't get how lucario learns dragon pulse. I mean okay its the Aura Pokemon, but dragon pulse literally makes no sense. Other reptilian Pokemon sure, but a mammal, it makes no sense.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Geras32
Slightly less of a noob

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets Witch View Post
I never really liked that a fair amount of Ground types learned Mud Sport. Its effect ends when the user switches out, so why even bother using it in the first place if you're immune to it?
If I remember correctly, the sport moves showed up in gen 3. I just assumed they were meant for double battles, but I never used them anyway.
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Wooper + Ice Punch/DynamicPunch. It doesn't even have any arms to punch with! (unless it uses its tail for said moves). It does get arms when it evolves, though.

A similar situation would apply to Gastly and the elemental punches.

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:51 PM
ShinyUmbreon189
Never go full retard

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to ShinyUmbreon189
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Wooper + Ice Punch/DynamicPunch. It doesn't even have any arms to punch with! (unless it uses its tail for said moves). It does get arms when it evolves, though.

A similar situation would apply to Gastly and the elemental punches.
Gastly learns Sucker Punch because it doesn't require arms or anything. That's why Dugtrio can learn it too. It's kinda like a quick sneak attack. As for Wooper, I have no idea as you said maybe it uses it tail lol or it's head.

Rhydon and Surf.. It makes no sense, doesn't this thing hate water? Then Dugtrio learning Slash, with what? It's whack a mole horn that's invisible?
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:58 PM
myfriendraul
Unhatched Egg

jynx and attract no thank you
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Caelus
Gone

Evan though it's Diamond entry states that it created the universe with it's 1,000 hands I don't see how Arceus could use a move that involves punching the opponent. I figure since it's the creator it can do pretty much anything no matter how illogical it is, but it still shouldn't know them.
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:35 PM
GhastlyGastly
Crazy Pokémon Lady

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelus View Post
Evan though it's Diamond entry states that it created the universe with it's 1,000 hands I don't see how Arceus could use a move that involves punching the opponent. I figure since it's the creator it can do pretty much anything no matter how illogical it is, but it still shouldn't know them.
Arceus' Diamond entry says that legend says it created the universe with it's thousand arms. That doesn't mean that it actually happened; and given there's not a scrap of evidence that Arceus has even a single arm, it's quite plain that it's just a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyUmbreon189 View Post
Gastly learns Sucker Punch because it doesn't require arms or anything. That's why Dugtrio can learn it too. It's kinda like a quick sneak attack. As for Wooper, I have no idea as you said maybe it uses it tail lol or it's head.

Rhydon and Surf.. It makes no sense, doesn't this thing hate water? Then Dugtrio learning Slash, with what? It's whack a mole horn that's invisible?
Gastly is able to form hands (similar to Haunter's, but more fragile) from the poison gas around it. And Dugtrio and Diglett are moles: ergo, though you never see them, they do have claws, they simply remain underground. As for Wooper and Rhydon... they don't make sense at all.

Last edited by GhastlyGastly; February 14th, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Sonkitts

Yeah that whole Wooper Ice Punch... Mind boggles.
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Doduo and Dodrio do have wings IIRC, but they're really small and aren't used for flying. If they learn fly anyway, well, it's no less weird than Rattata learning Thunderbolt. Also, the reason you can't see them realistically is because it blends in with the rest of the fluffy feathers, and then literally because Game Freak doesn't like to take a whole lot of artistic liberties with Pokemon beyond the Sugimori standard for some reason. Instead, they'll play the "fans use their imaginations" card.

It's okay to show Doduo with its wings outstreched, guys. You won't be sent to prison.

Ice Punch plus Wooper, simply put, Wooper uses its tail. Using the definition found here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/punch
Punch when used as a verb, the second definition, states that to punch is to strike with a forward thrust, especially with a fist. It didn't say exclusively with a fist, though.

I've never heard of Dragon Pulse, so that depends on what the move really implies.

Gastly probably can form temporary hands with that gas around him, or at least make the gas around him dense enough, and then compact it into something to strike you with. That or he uses his tounge. Gastly seems to have shape shifting capabilities anyway, or at least the power of illusion.

If nothing else, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has a Diglett mentioning that it has feet. In the off chance that it doesn't have hands either (which I doubt, but again, GF loves the "use your imagination" cop out), Diglett/Dugtrio jump out of the hole and use the claws on their feet. Of course, if they have hands, it makes more sense because I don't see moles exerting all that energy just to use one move. So, they just Slash with their foreclaws instead. See Duduo for why you'll never see it officially.

Zubat can probably do a non literal Mean Look by contorting its face enough to be bone chilling. It has a mouth and fangs. If it can work up a nasty snarl, I'm sure the opponent would be in no condition to think on its feet.

Attract is all about manipulation using some kind of means. How it works, I have no idea, and can probably be taken to places no one wants to go, but the point is that it's insincere. Jynx using Attract doesn't mean she's coming on to the opponent, it just means she's bewitched the opponent using whatever she has at her disposal that puts the opposition under that spell. Two different things. Also, I find it hard to believe every last Jynx looks the same anyway, especially if they've been manipulated with Pokeblocks and whatever else, which instantly guarantees that they don't.

Don't know a thing about Arceus, no answers there.

Rhydon is the only one I can't really give an answer for unless it being a rock type is purely metaphorical. I forgot if its armor is made of literal rocks. Having said that, it could probably still swim if forced to. I mean, it's not going to just give up and drown if dunked into water. It'll probably swim slowly, though, just to keep impact low. So even if you could surf on Rhydon, I'd imagine the trip would take forever, and you'll have wished you taught surf to a proper water type instead.

:D

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 15th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
The ones that always bother me are the Pokemon that can learn moves that would be super-effective if used against themselves. There are plenty of examples, but the first few that come to mind are Ludicolo using Fire Punch, Mantine learning Bullet Seed and a good number of other Grass type Pokemon learning Aerial Ace.
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:31 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
Tyranitar being able to learn Surf.
This implies that it floats across water... even though it has a type disadvantage to water. Huh?

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2

Last edited by skyluigi2; February 16th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:50 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Ryhorn/Rhydon can learn surf, even thought they got a 4x weakness from water. How does that work?

Diglett/Dugtrio can learn scratch, where the hell are their arms?!
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

*tsk tsk*
Some of you guys just don't read, do you? ө_ǒ

Context, context, context.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 16th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Speaking of Pokémon who are clearly weak against water and / or too heavy to swim atop water all all; what about Aggron? The thing is made of steel and is one of the heaviest Pokémon around yet it can learn Surf. How does that work? Haha.
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:11 PM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
The whole "Rhydon using Surf" thing reminds me of rocks in a river. Maybe that's why it can swim.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 16th, 2013, 06:02 PM
The_Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garoucher View Post
Doduo and Dodrio can learn fly because they spin their heads like a helicopter. Or they do a giant jump. It is the most logical explanation.
What?!! Haha...
The kinds of Pokemon that can learn Toxic despite being about as poisonous as a healing antidote.
Mew can learn anything which is crazy...
Juat some from the top of my head.
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:06 AM
LightningAlex

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to LightningAlex Send a message via Skype™ to LightningAlex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Consumer View Post
The kinds of Pokemon that can learn Toxic despite being about as poisonous as a healing antidote.
I think that all Pokemon can learn Toxic, which is illogical IMO :\

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Cryogonal with Attract, how can a genderless Pokemon seduce other gendered Pokemon?
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Yoshistar64
Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!

Nature: Relaxed
Dunsparce learns Glare at level 12. Look at this thing!

Love Dunsparce though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfriendraul View Post
jynx and attract no thank you
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
How in hell Surf is "Water" typed when used by Pikachu, Snorlax (yes this fat guy can "surf"), ... in the middle of desert... ?!
Murkrow and Diglett can learn Sucker Punch... Punch... Punch... Punch...Punch... Punch...
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:25 AM
lineofdeath
...overuser of the ellipsis...

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Skype™ to lineofdeath
Yeah, too bad you need to look at the japanes3 names for fly amd sucker punch.

peace is key...

hey guys... check my trading shop...
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=305409
..........................................................................................................................................they call me red.http://www.pokecommunity.com/signatu...ic362557_3.gif
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Toutebelle
Banned

I still find it odd that the Seel line can learn Thief, but the Spheal line cannot.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here