Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page This thread is pretty gay.

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old February 9th, 2013 (02:33 PM).
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I try to avoid the word "gay" being used as an insult, though I have occasional slips.
Old February 9th, 2013 (05:45 PM).
Uh, I didn't do it
Crystal Tier

Nature: Brave
Am I truly insulted?

No.

I'm not the type to personally take things like that to heart. If it was meant to be insulting, yes, but otherwise, eh.

Do I find it rude?

Yes.

I don't like people to use it. I can deal with it occasionally, but if someone is using it all the time I will mention it in hopes they watch their language. I have no power over others, but common courtesy, you know?

(This is coming from the person who irl swears every other sentence. I am working on that thought.)

Do I feel some people can be oversensitive about it? Yes.

Ableism is a thing, but trying to be overcontrolling with it is more annoying than the people using it.
Old February 9th, 2013 (08:35 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I don't mind it, since I mostly use it when I see a cheap tactic or bad luck in games and sports matches.

But yeah, people use it as a synonym for "stupid" because being gay (as in homosexual) has a bad connotation, so the word gained a bad connotation and became associated with things you don't like.

It's like calling a ****** someone who isn't gay but is generally an ass.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old February 11th, 2013 (11:49 AM).

When my friend calls me gay, I turn it around by saying "I'm happy because you're wrong and you're the homosexual"

Of course you can call something that was supposed funny (Joke) gay like

"I like big wet boats with big decks" something like that...
Old February 12th, 2013 (09:36 AM).
Magic Manic

Nature: Quirky
Whenever I use gay, I usually use it to mean "corny." I actually have never had a person tell me to stop using it in that context, even when I use it around people who I have heard talk to people about how they shouldn't use that word. I guess it sounds a little less offensive in that context.

I don't really mind it, although sometimes people just say the word so... forcefully and passionately. I also hate it when someone says a sentence and they obviously mean it to be funny because of their "comical" use of the word gay.
Old February 18th, 2013 (11:17 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I think this issue really shows us the beauty of language: that it is simply what we make of it. Although I wouldn't call something gay for the sake of offending others, I don't feel the slightest of regret when someone else uses the term - other than the fact that it's socially unacceptable and I tend to tune towards what society wants.

What's funny is that homosexuality is still the stigma, and it's evident from the responses that people give when being called gay. I would say that the word doesn't even matter - as long as being homo is stigmatized, there's always going to be another word used in a derogative manner.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)