The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: 3D Graphics good or Bad?
Good 105 88.98%
Bad 7 5.93%
Dosen't Matter 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM
PoisonEmeralds
Rookie ROM Hacker

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Destler View Post
I feel a huge discussion with this generation is going to be the progression of the graphics in the series thus far. Personally, I love them. It just seemed like a natural advancement to me. However, what do you think? Hit or miss?
Well we're getting 3D models now which means sprites are abolished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fabio View Post
I would like to see more from the graphics before I make up my mind, but it looks interesting, that is for sure.

:::EDIT:::

For anyone who wants to see it again:
It kind of resembles final fantasy... Like the way the graphics are.... anyone else agree? or is it just me :s

Last edited by PoisonEmeralds; January 28th, 2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:12 AM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
alright just a quick note to the mods, this shouldn't be confused with the other pokedex thread. that one was asking about numbers, this one talks about the display. so yeah, no need to lock this.

in all the past gens, the pokedex was roughly the same each time. you would scroll up and down and see a pokemon's sprite, however, in X and Y the pokemon battles will be in 3D. do you think the in game pokedex will change to be like pokedex 3D? or do you think they'll make sprites or artwork for the pokedex like this one shown in the trailer?

discuss!

EDIT: huh? why was it moved here?

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu

Last edited by roosterman; January 29th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Oh my god, that would be perfect! I don't know why, but those old PokeDex bore me, the Pokedex 3D I bought in Eshop looks way better. So I hope they do an improvement on the pokedex.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:06 AM
pokefangames
Sinor Trainer

When I first saw the announcement, I thought it was sorta cool how they did the 3D Graphics for the 3DS. But I have to wander, is it going to receive the same kind of reception as Pokemon Colllosium or Pokemon XD? I personally thought Pokemon XD was cool because of the fact it was in 3D. but what do you think, 3D Graphics good or bad?
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:36 AM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

It was long overdue for the main games for some time now if you ask me, especially since we're at a point where a handheld can really handle it.

As much as I was expecting Colosseum and XD style graphics for the first 3D adventure(even if it wasn't this gen), I'd actually prefer that stay to spin offs, at least for the time being. The cel-shading look they're using helps to keep that cartoon-y feel Pokemon has had/should have.

Tl;dr I love the 3D, just waiting to see the final product.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:47 AM
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
I actually thought X&Y looked like Colosseum and XD. Some cell-shading here and there doesn't change much for me.

Personally, I'm all for 3D graphics like in Colosseum and XD, and that's what I see here, at least when it comes to the overworld. My only gripe with Colosseum/XD that has anything to do with 3D graphics is with the battle animations: they take freaking forever! But from what I see in the trailer, they fixed that, so now I have absolutely no problem with the games being in 3D.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.

PROTIP: If your "video game" can be replicated using only MS Word, then it's not a game, and you have no business calling yourself an indie game developer. Just saying... to no one in particular.
Old February 6th, 2013, 02:49 PM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

What real similarity is there aside from them being 3D and little bits of the battling animations we've seen?

I've watched the X & Y trailer countless times already and have played Colosseum and XD to death(they are among my favorite spin off series, only second to Mystery Dungeon) and I don't see where all of this similarity is coming from.

About the only thing that I'd say even comes somewhat close, from what we've been shown so far, is how the building in the desert area in the trailer reminds me of Realgam Tower. Everything else is completely different and we're still stuck with 4 directions it seems.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
With the new short trailer showing off Sylveon in battle, I can safely say that I'm absolutely loving the new 3D battle graphics. It certainly gives the battles more depth. Seeing more of the older Pokémon being used, I don't even miss the pixel animation. Actually, I'm glad they've moved forward from them now.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I'm glad Game Freak have finally moved onto 3D graphics. Kind of feels like a 3DS Colosseum or XD, and I like that. Especially the battles!

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Eh, as a spriter myself I can't help but feel a bit disappointed by the end of sprites. I mean, it was inevitable, but a bit sad, that the sprites would go sooner or later.

Unfortunately, though, the 3D doesn't even look adequate. The male protagonist looks like he's wearing a bucket on his head due to shoddy, low-res meshes, the anti-aliasing is just plain atrocious, and the frame rate is poor.

This is especially bad because the 3DS already proved with games such as Ocarina 3D that it can handle adequate 3D graphics.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.

Last edited by Atomic Pirate; February 14th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old February 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
That battle scene with Sylveon was amazing. And its not even final footage! With some work this game is gonna look and feel perfect, and I can only assume the OW is going to rock. Best part is that legendaries likely won't be small sprites, but huge lumbering beasts, awaiting your challenge, like it epically should be.
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:05 PM
jov0006
Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!

Nature: Modest
I presume the 3D will be present outside of graphics (I hope) so maybe we should have something similar to professor layton and the miracle mask where the 3D actually has a purpose other than graphics. What types of 3D use should there be in you opinion?

Participating in the following Roleplays:

Click on the images to see SUs

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:43 AM
pleb
Booted out - don't be like me!

I saw a video for this game. The graphics have improved a longshot since Black 2 and White 2. I noticed the character's heights are bigger too. The 3D looks great aswell. Do you agree?

PS. What is the meaning of that Duskull on the post icons?!
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:25 AM
B3andon
Unhatched Egg

I think the graphics look great!

Its a huge step from the black & white games.
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Plusleminun
Togepi

Nature: Quiet
It was about time they did something about the graphics. : )
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Azure
» We might aswell be lovers on the sun
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Judging from the trailer we saw with Sylveon, it seems the graphics have already began to improve on that Battle Scene we saw compared the one in January. Although it may not be much difference, it's still an improvement which makes it more promising for the outcome by October.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:05 AM
LMB10
Unhatched Egg

Whilst I'll definitely try the game out once it's released, I can't say I'm a fan of the way they're approaching the graphics this time around. Hopefully it looks better when actually playing the game.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

3D is the way to go! xD I think it's a really huge advancement. What you'd call 3D in B/W2 cannot be compared to this new 3D world. Sure, one might miss the classic 2D graphics, but who says one can't replay the previous generations? We can't stick to the old things forever; we have to move on to follow the ever growing technological advancements in this world. I'm certainly up for this new change!

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:40 PM
jellotime91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsige85 View Post
btw did any of you notice the the slider fo the 3d was off?
The reason why the 3D slider is off is because we are not watching 3D footage, and that's a simple way for Nintendo to reinforce that fact.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
Scarecr0wFixatioN

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecr0wFixatioN
Ever since the Sylveon video, I'm loving the battle graphics. The overworld graphics still don't look great to me, but I've been waiting for a 3D pokemon main installment for a while. I'm sure the overworld graphics will improve over the course of the next nine months, I mean like, the jump in battle graphics from the first trailer to the Sylveon one was pretty good.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Archeops12354
Smoochum

I think a 3D pokedex would be awesome, you could view the pokemon you have seen on the pokedex in 3D!!!!!

Gen 6.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Aslan
the pretender

I think the graphics of Pokemon games in general has taken a huge step, now moving up to 3D. I like the idea of 3D graphics and from the footage I've seen so far, it's been amazing, I'm particularly liking the new battle style,a close up of the Pokemon, improved sprites and all sorts of new surroundings including new plants, new sights. Also I saw the character crossing some sort of bridge in the preview, while swinging across vines and passing something that closely resembled the Eiffel Tower. I liked everything I've been seeing so far, I have absolutely no complaints honestly :3.

And yeah it'd be interesting to see what they'll do with the Pokedex in 3D, it sort of leaps out of you perhaps? I'm just really looking forward what they do with the graphics. :D
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I'm personally excited for the jump from pixel art to a 3D environment. I think after all these years it makes sense, plus all the trailers that have been released honestly look fantastic for what the limitations of the 3DS are. I don't know if I'd play with the 3D activated, but the models for the Pokémon look great and the cities look awesome as well!
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
First of all, i think the 3D art looks good so far, but I'm sure its going to improve until the final release, so it will look even more awesome. I have a 3DS, and it just feels like they havent used all the 3Ds potential yet...just my feeling.
I think this progression is natural, and why not use 3D graphics on a 3D console?
The graphics have improved a lot from the old Blue and Red to Black and White, but i think this complete re-do of the environment and the battle scenes is very fitting, being a whole new Gen on a new console.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Diversity Pumpkin
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Serious
Graphics should never come first
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here