The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:26 AM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Here's what we do know about Eevee:

1. It's a pure Normal-type
2. It can evolve depending on the elements and what environment they're in
3. Has already evolved into 7 of the 17 types, that being Water (Vaporeon), Electric (Jolteon), Fire (Flareon), Psychic (Espeon), Dark (Umbreon), Grass (Leafeon) and Ice (Glaceon)
4. It has yet to evolve into a dual-type
5. It evolves with elemental stones or rocks, or time of day
6. It has not evolved into the following types as of yet: Normal, Flying, Fighting, Bug, Rock, Ground, Steel, Poison, Ghost and Dragon

Here's the type breakdown:

Normal - Most plausible theory. Its colors are white, light blue and pink, which seem fairy and angelic-like, which is characteristic of some Normal-types like Togetic and Clefairy. It also has bows which are closely associated with some Normal-types.

Flying - Second plausible theory. Its ribbons flow in the wind, which could mean its relative to fairies and can fly.

Fighting - Could possibly be but it doesn't have a tough appearance or seem to dress in any fighting-like attire

Bug - Does not have any bug characteristics, like antennae or stingers

Rock - Does not have a stone-like body or anything rock-related

Ground - Not sandy in color and does not look like one that'd live in the ground

Steel - Does not have a metallic appearance or anything metal on its body

Poison - Does not have dark colors like some other Poison-types and does not give the impression that it can use Poison moves

Ghost - Does not look transparent and is not eerie-looking like other Ghosts

Dragon - Does not look reptilian or dragon-like and has no visible claws or fangs
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
That all being said, that leads us to somewhat of a hole here between Normal and Flying. Is Gamefreak trying to tell us that maybe it can be both Normal/Flying? It'd still be a counterpart to Jolteon, seeing as it would still be flying, but Dual-type eeveelutions doesn't seem like a route that they would take, but you can never really tell with GF.
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Hm, well, there's also the possibility that it can be a new type because while it has very little evidence going for it, at least the only evidence it has AGAINST it is that a new type in general is quite a stretch. All the other types have pretty big incorrelations with them (mostly that Sylveon looks nothing like them and it's names don't correlate at all).

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

The only thing I hope for in this new type is that it isn't ridiculous, conceptually speaking here.
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Azure
» Just a cat and mouse game
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I'm hoping we get something half decent in next month's issue, the fact that we got Sylveon this month may effect it somehow in terms of how much more is revealed? idk does that usually happen. I'm half expecting the most that we'll get to be the revealing of Sylveon's typing, especially since they've got another eight months to give out information.

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I'm hoping we get something half decent in next month's issue, the fact that we got Sylveon this month may effect it somehow in terms of how much more is revealed? idk does that usually happen. I'm half expecting the most that we'll get to be the revealing of Sylveon's typing, especially since they've got another eight months to give out information.
By that point it'll also be two months into the speculation period, which definitely improves the chances of there being a lot more information, given that they have less to hold off on as it gets closer. :3
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:28 AM
AmericanWonderland
Sassmaster

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanWonderland
I honestly don't really care what Sylveon's type is, it's an eeveelution so I'm sure I'll love it! And I'm just excited in general for X and Y to come out, every new bit of information, or even just new theories, make me even more excited for the new generation!

White 2 Friend Code= 3010 6901 0098
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:43 PM
brica8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
This soooo much!

Of course, we already know that even by -looking- at Sylveon, there's not really much we can get, it's bodily features don't really reveal anything, and each and every eeveelution's colors usually match its typing. What's unusual here is that we have an eeveelution in which we can't necessarily find exactly what typing it is, because it's colors don't necessary fit a specific type. The closest thing it could possibly come to is either Normal or Flying, because Normal Pokemon don't have any distinct features about them, and Flying Pokemon more or less based on the type/weaknesses image that was posted either here or in the X/Y Discussion some time ago. XD

//wall of text

So far I'm leaning most towards Normal out of everything else. I mean, now looking at it, I want you guys to take a look at Serebii's B/W Pokedex, and go on "search by type" and click normal, and you'd find the results pretty surprising.

Now answer this question after you've looked at that list: How many normal types are Pink and White(or even just pink), and look similar in coloring to Sylveon here?

It has to be at least part Normal, if anything else.
With Eevee already being normal type, I don't see why a normal evolution would look so different
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brica8 View Post
With Eevee already being normal type, I don't see why a normal evolution would look so different
But again, Sylveon doesn't look so different after all. I mean, just throw some pink on Eevee and you would have Sylveon right there; minus the ears and all of that other fancy stuff. It's just that a lot of Normal types usually share similar coloring, giving away the type in itself, and the coloring is usually either white/pink/grey, something along those lines.
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Well more Sylveon info is coming next month, which means we're likely gonna get some news on evolution methods, and hopefully other old Pokemon evolutions. And if its a new type I would assume other Pokemon belonging to it would be revealed as well.
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM
brica8

Quote:
But again, Sylveon doesn't look so different after all. I mean, just throw some pink on Eevee and you would have Sylveon right there; minus the ears and all of that other fancy stuff. It's just that a lot of Normal types usually share similar coloring, giving away the type in itself, and the coloring is usually either white/pink/grey, something along those lines.
I have to disagree with you on that one. I think the only similarity between them I see is that they're both derivatives of dogs. The white and pink colour scheme is familiar to normal types though.
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
I have to disagree with you on that one. I think the only similarity between them I see is that they're both derivatives of dogs. The white and pink colour scheme is familiar to normal types though.
I guess we'll agree to disagree, then~ u_u It's just that it's coloring is strongly hinting at a Normal type, if not a Flying type(and if not both), so it has to be at least one or the other, otherwise it really just won't fit it's coloring, really.

Each and every single eeveelution matches the type's color. It would make sense either for Sylveon to be a new type completely or just be normal, something to go with it's color.
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
The only reason people think it's a Normal-type is because it looks like Audino, but it doesn't make any sense. The evolution of Eevee is susceptibility to the radiation around it, which comes from an evo stone or the environment. This way, how could Eevee change form and still be Normal? Normal is the "untouched" Eevee, with its DNA intact. If it changed form by evolving, it's no longer Normal.

I'll be very disappointed if it turns out to be a Normal-type, as the whole point of Eevee is to change type upon evolving... But I'm also 99% sure it won't be Normal-type. And I'm also a bit less sure it won't be Flying. Ask yourselves a question: how could it fly? I mean actually taking off by itself and flying. The absolute majority of the Flying-type Pokémon can take off by themselves. Birds and dragons flap their wings, Tropius uses its large leaves on its back, Mantine can glide over the surface of water after jumping out of it at high speed.

The only Flying-type Pokémon that needs the help of the wind to fly is the Hoppip line, but Hoppip and its evolutions weigh almost nothing by Pokémon standards, so they're light enough to float in the air and control their flight. Meanwhile, Sylveon weighs more than 20 kilos. He's the lightest of the eeveelutions, but he's not that much lighter than the rest, and not light enough to be caught by the wind, unless it's a hurricane.

Gyarados can't fly, but he's only Flying-type because of the legend of the carp.

If it turns out Sylveon is actually Flying, he'll have to be special biased, because most of the physical Flying-type moves are related to birds.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloysterOyster View Post
[...] Dragon - Does not look reptilian or dragon-like and has no visible claws or fangs
If you look at the left side of the scan here, you'll see Sylveon actually does have two small fangs. Not that it makes it any more likely to being a Dragon-type, but it definitely has teeth.
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:30 PM
brica8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
If you look at the left side of the scan here, you'll see Sylveon actually does have two small fangs. Not that it makes it any more likely to being a Dragon-type, but it definitely has teeth.
I think that the fact that it's the only eeveelution to have teeth must mean something. I also was thinking that maybe the streamers on Sylveon could be a reference to the whiskers of a chinese dragon. Perhaps this really is a dragon eeveelution a la Leafeon colour scheme (Heavy accent colour of typing).
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
The only reason people think it's a Normal-type is because it looks like Audino, but it doesn't make any sense. The evolution of Eevee is susceptibility to the radiation around it, which comes from an evo stone or the environment. This way, how could Eevee change form and still be Normal? Normal is the "untouched" Eevee, with its DNA intact. If it changed form by evolving, it's no longer Normal.

[....]
It's not just really Audino, it's just about almost -every normal type out there- that has a similar color to Sylveon. It might be Eevee's natural eeveelution, or something of that nature. /shrugs. Plausible, not impossible or anything like that.

Quote:
If it turns out Sylveon is actually Flying, he'll have to be special biased, because most of the physical Flying-type moves are related to birds.
I'd prefer if it was mixed. We have enough special eeveelutions as it is, and we need more physical ones bar Leafeon and Curse Umbreon(which isn't really that good offensively anyway).
Old February 19th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
I think that the fact that it's the only eeveelution to have teeth must mean something. I also was thinking that maybe the streamers on Sylveon could be a reference to the whiskers of a chinese dragon. Perhaps this really is a dragon eeveelution a la Leafeon colour scheme (Heavy accent colour of typing).
I've said this earlier in this thread, but, some eeveelutions do have teeth or fangs. At least Umbreon here does, if you look closely:

But maybe Sylveon could still be a Dragon type; some people have speculated it can be a Dragon type because of the colors of it's typing on top of the CoroCoro page.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
It's not just really Audino, it's just about almost -every normal type out there- that has a similar color to Sylveon. It might be Eevee's natural eeveelution, or something of that nature. /shrugs. Plausible, not impossible or anything like that.
I'd like to see a pink Ursaring, or Tauros. Or Kangaskhan.

Only the fairy group (Clefairy, Chansey, Whismur and Audino) have similar colors to Sylveon. None of them have fangs.

A Normal-type eeveelution would have to be physical based or defensive, because the strongest special Normal-type move is lolHyper Beam.

With this kind of logic, people would consider Dratini a Water-type Pokémon on first sight. It's blueish, shaped like a snake and lives in water. But it's not Water-type.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Yamiidenryuu

So am I the only one who thinks Sylveon could fly through some sort of wind control power?

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:

Only the fairy group (Clefairy, Chansey, Whismur and Audino) have similar colors to Sylveon. None of them have fangs.
Clefairy usually has an overbite snaggle tooth. Snubbull has some similar colors too, is fairy grouped, and has an underbite. Its not unheard of for them to have visible teeth. Teeth are rarely seen on any Pokemon unless its part of the outward design. If they didn't have teeth then eating anything hard for most of the mammalian Pokemon would be incredibly hard.
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:34 PM
brica8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
I've said this earlier in this thread, but, some eeveelutions do have teeth or fangs. At least Umbreon here does, if you look closely:

But maybe Sylveon could still be a Dragon type; some people have speculated it can be a Dragon type because of the colors of it's typing on top of the CoroCoro page.
I guess of all the previous eeveelutions, Umbreon having fangs makes the most sense since it's a dark type, and it's jet black colour gives it an evil/vampiric look.

Other than a dark type, the only eeveelution typing I could see being given fangs is a dragon type. I just don't understand if it is a dragon type, why is it so small and why does it look so cutesy?
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:

A Normal-type eeveelution would have to be physical based or defensive, because the strongest special Normal-type move is lolHyper Beam.

With this kind of logic, people would consider Dratini a Water-type Pokémon on first sight. It's blueish, shaped like a snake and lives in water. But it's not Water-type.
Actually, you're incorrect. I mentioned before that most normal types are either pink/white/grey, and the clefairy family is not the only one that's pink. You also have Skitty/Delcatty that's White/Pink, as well as a majority of normal types that are white-ish color, they're very similar in coloring here to Sylveon. There's also Lickitung, Wigglytuff, Porygon, Milktank, Blissey, etc that are all also pink, so...

And you're also kind of wrong on the strongest normal move. :x While Hyper beam is the strongest on base power, Hyper Voice(specially based)/Return(physical based)/Body Slam are actually one of the strongest based on overall usefulness. But I digress.

Also, about Dratini...well, it does have the first three letters of "Dragon" in it's name, so....
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Punnagg
Advanced Spriter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Punnagg
i think that sylveon is a normal
as flying pokemon moastly have wings nd sylveon doesnt

also it has cute kind og look with those ribbons which makes him look like audino or skitty

Old February 20th, 2013, 12:50 AM
MarinoKadame

We will maybe get a second Eeveelution with Sylveon since they are mostly released in pair.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinoKadame View Post
We will maybe get a second Eeveelution with Sylveon since they are mostly released in pair.
They've only been released in pairs twice before, not exactly enough to consider it an ongoing pattern. In my opinion, if there were going to be two new Eeveelutions this generation, they would have released them at the same time given how popular Eevee and its evolutions are.

Also, based on the upcoming new movie and Pikachu Short, there have been no implications of a second new Eeveelution; CoroCoro itself said that in next month's issue we'll learn more "secrets" about Sylveon ─ no hints or silhouettes were given to imply there would be another one coming. I'm not saying it's impossible for them to pull out another surprise and say, "Surprise! Here's another Eeveelution for you, and you, and you too!" but I'm doubtful.

Not to mention, each new Eeveelution has so far been based off of one of the eight "special" types, with one remaining (Dragon). Now we've been given exactly one new Eeveelution. A possibility to finish what they started? Maybe. Although there is reservation due to it not appearing very dragon-like.

Last edited by Guy; February 20th, 2013 at 04:23 AM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here