• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Which Generation is Your Favourite and Why?

Which Generation Was Your Favourite?

• Generation I (Red, Blue and Yellow)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Generation II (Gold, Silver and Crystal)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red and Leaf Green)

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold and Soul Silver)

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Generation V (Black, White, Black 2, White 2)

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 23
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
Well then, I want to know; Which gen? Why?
For me, I'd have to say Gen IV. Because,
1) It was the first gen I ever played; so nostalgia.
2) It has some of my favourite pokemon in.
3) Hell, the region was quite nice in D, P and PT.
4) To top it all, it had the Gen II remakes, which made all the awesome 10x more awesome.
5) THE POKEWALKER. BECAUSE HELL YEAH.

Anyway, what about you?
I'd like to know :)

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Gen 3, easily. Best Victory Road, best music, and arguably the better of the 2 battle frontiers. The region was amazing, and it easily could get you lost if you explored a tiny bit. Finding out how all the towns and routes connected after looking at the map was fun too, considering how many ledges you would come across.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
Definitely Generation I. Because nostalgia is powerful... Plus some of the coolest Pokémon ever are there: Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Abra, Kadabra, Alakazam, Mewtwo, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Kabutops, Scyther... I could go on... but must I? I suppose if I must pick a runner-up though, it has to be Generation III: because I love Hoenn, there are some very cool Pokémon there, and the Generation I remakes were well done.

A3R0D4C7YL

Dark Type Master
Years
  • WA
  • Seen Jun 18, 2013
Gen 3 was my favorite for the pokemon (Cause Manectric,Seviper,etc. all look really cool
Gen 2/4 was my favorite for the region (Johto AND Kanto)
Gen 5(2) was my favorite for the gym leaders (Roxie,Skyla,Marlon...coolio)
So yea...it's sort of a mix

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'd say Gen III followed by Gen V. The Hoenn region was so beautiful. From the high houses built on there of Fortree City to a city built on a Corsola colony to Sootopolis City the city inside a crater formed by a volcano, it's just an amazing place to explore. Plus there's lot of good Pokemon that were introduced, including my favorite Pokemon Treecko. Gen V would be in second because unlike lots of people I love lot of the Pokemon it introduced, one of my favorites being Braviary. The region may be the most linear but it also has amazing landscapes such as Castelia City , Nimbasa, Iccirus City, Virbank City and the Skyarrow Bridge. Plus BW has the best storyline of all the series.

Guest123_x1

Generation I for sure is my favorite generation. Most of my fondest memories of Pokémon are from Generation I-although the game mechanics weren't all that great (by most people's standards), it did provide a nice introduction to the franchise, and it was easier to remember all of the Pokémon since there were only 151 at the time (most people knew 150). Not to mention the Pokémon craze was at its height during that generation.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I would have to say Gen III just because I like the entire 'set', RSE and FRLG. Very close second is Gen IV though, because DPPt are some of my absolute favorites, but I never cared for HGSS.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Oh man, I LOVE 4th gen. Sinnoh is my favorite region by far, and HG/SS were good remakes. But man, I could go on for hours about how much I love Sinnoh. It's weird because my favorite Pokemon, gym leader, and city all belong to different generations, but Sinnoh is just my overall favorite.

Years
Unlike what most people here think, I'm actually heavily obsessed towards the 5th Generation, aka Black/White and Black 2/White 2. I happen to be a certified 5th Generation Fangirl.

This generation introduced so many awesome Pokemon (and my beloved Oshawott too!), new twists to battling, new competitive strategies, awesome characters, and also the most epic story in the franchise. Black 2/White 2's post-game was also very impressive.

Not to mention most of the Unova Pokemon were very handy to use in-game thanks to some beastly stats among most of them, and B/W having only new Pokemon pre-E4 was a nice twist I wanted cos it helped older players such as myself get refreshed with the game.

And if I were to live in any of the main regions I would definitely choose Unova. It's just so beautiful and picturesque!

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I personally think the game got better with every generation, but surely the most troublesome jump for me was from 2 to 3, because the new EV system and natures made it extremely annoying to play the story. A bad nature may make you not OHKO a threat and you may lose a battle because of it. I never cared for Hoenn, worst mapping in the series, and major wasted potential graphically speaking... Heck, when Crystal, an 8-bit game, looks good next to the supposed 32-bit games, you know there's something wrong with the graphics. Plus all the hiking that's necessary to get to certain places like Lavaridge and Sootopolis if you don't have Fly, and the attempt to stuff everything into one region. I prefer a coherent region like Johto or Sinnoh, not something that tries to be everything and fails at most of it. And, before I forget, the cutscenes with the legendaries were pathetic and primitive.

Qualitatively speaking, the jump from 3 to 4 was enormous. The region is better (my opinion of course but it has a degree of objectivity to it), the battle system started making sense for the first time, all Pokémon were actually given very good movepools... DP's faults are the slow battles and questionable Pokémon selection pre-E4, but IMO Hoenn had a worse selection because most of the then new Pokémon were worthless. Of course, you could get stuff like Flygon, but raising a Trapinch is a pain, and Vibrava's even more worthless.

Although I love 4th gen, my favorite has to be 5th gen. It's a gen I would keep replaying forever if given the chance. All new Pokémon during the story, but very few of them are bad. You can get by many parts in the game with stuff like Watchog since they actually learn USEFUL moves. Not like Hoenn where the early Grass-types couldn't even attack the opponent until, like, L20 or something. I just completed a Black playthrough, and the next time I could use different Pokémon and succeed anyway. The world is fairly simple, but in its simplicity lies its beauty.

So I vote the 5th gen as the best.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
For me, I would have to say generation II was my favorite, It felt like more of an adventure, and everything was still magical. I was old enough to understand the sense of danger from team rocket far more than in the first games, yet I was still young enough to lose myself in the story.

To this day I still don't dislike a single genII pokemon, and the majority of my favorites are from genII.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
My fave gen is always gonna be the newest gen due to the improvements it makes over past gens and the inclusion of more story and Pokemon and things to do.
Although I see all Pokemon from all gens as equal.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
Gen II, its the Generation that I spent the most time on and most of my childhood is spent on that game while other kids are playing 3rd/4th gen, (2003~2009!) until that save file got deleted. Loved G/S/C, but never played Crystal before.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Even though I grew up with the first gen it is not my favorite gen. That would Gen 4 of pokemon because it added so much to the series: GTS-Mean you did need Diamond and Pearl. Double battles?Vs seeker...more than I can remember but fourth gen changed the series for the better in my opinion.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I think my username is a bit of a give-off. Yes, I love Hoenn, and obviously Gen III more than anything else. I jumped sky-high when I saw the difference in graphics between Crystal and Ruby. Special Abilities, dive? That was the biggest development, EVER!

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
My favorite is the 5th generation. I thought the BW/B2W2 storyline was very nice and complex, and the characters were very interesting. I liked the substance that it had. Plus there was a lot to do and overall I found it very enjoyable.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Each Generation has its ups and downs, but if I had to pick a favorite, It'd be the 3rd one.

Fire Red and Leaf Green are, in my opinion still the best Pokemon games made so far. The games just felt so vibrant and colorful. I loved the little things they added like the cutscene you get everytime you used an item on a Pokemon, the recap of your adventure every time you continued playing, the vs seeker and so on.

It's a shame Emerald isn't like FR/LG, it would've been my favorite by far if it was. I believe that Hoenn has the best map, and introduced the most awesome new Pokemon. I believe that I would've enjoyed the 4th and 5th generations more if I hadn't seen every new Pokemon beforehand. Hoenn really felt like an adventure to me, I barely knew any Pokemon so I was continuously discovering new species.

Years
  • Age 23
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 5, 2023
I actually have a confession to make. I've never played a 3rd Gen game. Yeah. I know right. Know what, I'm gonna go buy one off E-Bay. Now. For my crimes.
But which to get....?

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Third Generation at its finest (Yeah, I've been praising RSE like it's the holy grail of the series compared to other generations.)

1. Introduction to the Abilities and Natures.
2. Double Battles introduced.
3. Very good Pokemon Roster (I have a lot of favorites in Generation 3.)
4. Very good soundtrack (my favorite being Route 104, 120, Surf music, and all the battle themes.)
5. Hoenn is my favorite region to explore (Even the water routes are good.)
6. 2 of the teams are good compared to Team Rocket and Plasma, but I prefer Team Magma.
7. Contest is very good to participate. A lot better than the one in DPPt which got butchered aside from new minigames.
8. (NOSTALGIA BOMB ALERT!) When I was around 12 years old, I got a copy of Pokemon Ruby version for my birthday, I also got a copy of Sapphire along with the strategy guide for Ruby and Sapphire.

Oh third generation. How I always love it.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Like Hikari and lollygag mentioned above, Unova, also like Hikari mentioned I'm a generation 5 fan more than the others. Large maps, forest - small cities - big cities, really love them, makes the game more realistic than the others.

50% of my favorite Pokemon, including my top 25 are from Unova - thats my main reason for choosing Unova.

End it, Roxie's music in Black 2!!

I really enjoy the triple battles and rotational battles, complexity of the gyms (got lost in one many times)

Back