The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:43 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D View Post
well then how would you add more tilesets? if you can..
That's not really something I can answer in a few words. You're best off reading a tutorial on the subject, they can be found in the tutorial section. Use the forum search feature and search, "Tile inserting". I'm sure you will get tons of hits, just pick your favorite method :)

Hacks I support:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297199 --Legend of Anbuja
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200227 -- Pokemon Rose version

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:45 PM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
well then how would you add more tilesets? if you can..
There is a tut in the archives for adding excess titlesets. You can also draw tilesets in paint and over write current ones by importing them in A-maps block editor. I'll dig up the old tut if i can.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 19th, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM
The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D's Avatar
The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
I did, just haven't had time to reply. I had my wisdom teeth out over 10 hrs ago and the novicane still hasn't worn off and I'm on vikadin (spelling?) so I want to make sure I'm completely coherent before I get to your question. The other questions were super easy.
lol i completely understand and im sorry bout the teeth xD good luck man, i can wait :3

To be changed to Terror!
Ive been let aware of a Pokemon Nightmare Hack being released already, i waited to long, and i checked it out and it looks really cool
I wanted to keep a connection to Nightmare, so i thought of Night Terrors, and kept Terror!

Currently in Design Stage, will be begin to code in around a month!
Pokemon Dream will be the sequel and made Somewhat after.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:15 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gemello7 View Post
I'm trying to do a new animation for Giga Impact and I would like to know a thing: can I use the animation that in battle show the Pokémon when eating a berry? And where can I find it?
I'm not quite sure.... I can't quite remember what it looks like in FR, but in Ruby, it just looks like synthesis. So why not just use synthesis as part of your attack? Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubunkus View Post
How would I go about starting off a hack with a black screen. Can I do this with XSE?
Have your starting map be all black tiles and hide your character in a script (level script) as soon as you start. There is probably a better way, but this is easiest. Then, when you want the lights to go, just have that script warp and show the player. Movement commands for hide and show, I believe are 0x54 and 0x55 respectively.

Quote:
I changed the Script to where it will Accept it, and i get an offset with free space but when i paste the offset code, in plave of the 0s in the "0x00000..." it changes, and it wont stick to the one i chose.
In Advacned map.

And i was also asking,lets say i distrubte the rom for free like planned. And other people download just the GBA file im editing straight through instead of a patch, Would i have to keep the Saved RBC files with the scripts or does hitting compile in XSE save them into the rom without needing the external RBC files?

And thank you on the last question :3
When you hit compile, it turns all of your words into numbers and adds them to the rom. So, you do not need the rbc files, but they are good to keep as many scripts are similar. Therefore, you maybe able to use old ones as reference points or templates. I do this A LOT!

A-map doesn't use 0xXXXXXX, it uses the $XXXXXX instead. Then, you must click save:p.

When you distribute the patch, also include the game code (AXVE, BPEJ, BPRE) so that they know exactly which game and language to patch. Also include the version number (1.0 or 1.1) for FR.

Here is Lu-Ho's tut on how to add (not replace) new tilesets: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=156018

Here is a tutorial on adding tilesets in general: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186982
Like FBI said, just type in tile sets and hit search!:D

And another good tutorial, (I hope...): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193377

For animating tiles, this should be useful: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=260619

Now I am just going to use a spoiler:

As you can tell, this Vicodin is making feel really good so I didn't mind finding all of there tutorials. I'm also pretty bored too.:D

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 19th, 2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Finally coherent enough! Though my spelling still sucks:p
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:46 PM

but the script offset for a new one is $00000000 as a default to be switch,so how would i create a working script and instert it correctly? and thank you so much for your answers XD you do not know how much of a help you are being

To be changed to Terror!
Ive been let aware of a Pokemon Nightmare Hack being released already, i waited to long, and i checked it out and it looks really cool
I wanted to keep a connection to Nightmare, so i thought of Night Terrors, and kept Terror!

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:54 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
but the script offset for a new one is $00000000 as a default to be switch,so how would i create a working script and instert it correctly? and thank you so much for your answers XD you do not know how much of a help you are being
I added some links for tile insertion

First of all, it should only be 6 0's not 8 in A-map. Trust me, that makes a big difference. Now, when you compile something, your script should begin with #Dynamic 0x740000 (or any offset with free space) and then the next line should be #org @start. When you compile (click the gear button) it will show you a log and all of the offsets that it placed your script at. Take the offset for @start and copy it. Then, put it in the script offset box, preceded by the "$", so it comes out in the format $XXXXXX. You are going to replace the $000000 with this new offset.

Paired with Simba
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:58 PM

lol trust me ima check em all out XD too
Whenever i add the 6,i am apparently diong that part correctly, but when i add the offest of the 6 cuz i always take out the 0x to avoid the red text xD, it usualy moves the text around and adds some to fill the other 2 digits

and is there a specific way to go about adding different map tiles instead of coloring them to another palette, like say change a tree or what id like to do is put certain types of pokemon sprites as tiles? or new buildings

To be changed to Terror!

Last edited by The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D; February 19th, 2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:09 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
lol trust me ima check em all out XD too
Whenever i add the 6,i am apparently diong that part correctly, but when i add the offest of the 6 cuz i always take out the 0x to avoid the red text xD, it usualy moves the text around and adds some to fill the other 2 digits
When you write a script, never actually put in offsets by yourself, as you can easily break it if there aren't enough bytes in between two offsets. Always use unique @_____ labels and let XSE do it for you.

Consult diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial for more information on writing scripts.

I can tell you this however. The 7th and 8th digits in an pointer and offset, tell the location of the data as being in a part of the rom or of the ram. The 8 that is added before most script offsets and the 08 that are at the end of each pointer specify that the data is in the rom. The other numbers are in the ram.

For example, 01 is BIOS, 02 is External Working RAM, 03 Internal Working RAM, 04 is register memory/IO, 05 is Pallete Memory, 06 is Video RAM, 07 is Object Attribute Memory, 08 is the ROM, and 0E is the back-up memory. You don't need to know what all of that means, but it explains why rom offsets are preceded by an 8 and pointers are followed by a 08. This is not needed in A-map sinceit knows it is pulling from the rom.

Also, if you forget the "$" in A-map, it switches from hex mode to decimal mode, so don't forget it.

Quote:
and is there a specific way to go about adding different map tiles instead of coloring them to another palette, like say change a tree or what id like to do is put certain types of pokemon sprites as tiles? or new buildings
Just read the tutorials, the most I've ever done is change the shape of the rocks and pull in new trees.

I'm a scripter, beginner ASMer (is that a phrase? haha), and data manipulator. I like working with numbers much better than images.:D

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 19th, 2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: I know my double post was merged.... I did it that way on purpose:)
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:15 PM

you kno what idt i always kept the $ but ill keep it in mind

lol ima spriter xD that palette on the darkrai in my sig i made it :3 <3

Just a question, whats a good english hex editor i dont seem to have one, night! ill check later XD

To be changed to Terror!

Last edited by The Legacy of The Legends Creator :D; February 19th, 2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:21 AM
QuartierGenerale

Hello,

i'm trying to edit Birch's Bag (Ruby)...i've exported image from unzl, after i've exported palette from VBA, ad i've applied my palette to the exported image. what has happened is that the bag is correctly recolour, while the grass not.

This is the result image:

how can i do for seeing the correct palette also in the grass?

thanks a lot
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
How can I change LOW HP ALARM from Signal to Music like in Pokemon Black/White into pokemon ruby Rom?
- During Centuries... Whole worlds try keep in survive... Beafore the space start existing... In chaos eye appeared two eggs... One of mighty pokemon Arceus... Secound with less known Rejishan... Those two pokemon start build their worlds in other warps... Rejishan lose him mission... And undone world named now was TORN WORLD where now live Giratina... Arceus create world with Pokemons where live everywhere alongside with humans... What do Arceus after fail of Rejishan? He give him able to live in him world... But Rejishan want create something which been himself... And from biggest dessert upper than Unova Region start creating new region... This region is Thonsu... New species of Pokemons start locate at their region... Arceus fell angry... But forgive Rejishan and make with him friendship... But now... Is no one know... Rejishan hide in human body... Human name of Thonsu Creator is Sir Allan Newlight... - MYTH ABOUT REJISHAN (Pokemon Dirty Sun plot)

MY MUSIC SHOP - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296954
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:13 AM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

Im having mapping issues...

in every map I make... if I want to make a solid BLACK tile... I take the first black square from the block list and I place it where I want the black square to be in the game... makes since right... (works the same for the boarder tiles too)

but in game it comes out like this:

all those blue squiggleys should be black... how can I fix this (its like this for all my maps, not the nintendo maps)
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:29 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
Im having mapping issues...

in every map I make... if I want to make a solid BLACK tile... I take the first black square from the block list and I place it where I want the black square to be in the game... makes since right... (works the same for the boarder tiles too)

but in game it comes out like this:

all those blue squiggleys should be black... how can I fix this (its like this for all my maps, not the nintendo maps)

That first tile is not indeed black, but rather empty. Transparent. If you want a black tile, you will have to find a tileset like the ones inside of houses which have actual black tiles in them that you can use.

Quote:
you kno what idt i always kept the $ but ill keep it in mind

lol ima spriter xD that palette on the darkrai in my sig i made it :3 <3

Just a question, whats a good english hex editor i dont seem to have one, night! ill check later XD
HxD and GoldFinger. HxD is the best, however it doesn't support .tbl files which GoldFinger does. So, you can do everything you normally do for hex editing on HxD, and use GoldFinger just for any text editing need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
How can I change LOW HP ALARM from Signal to Music like in Pokemon Black/White into pokemon ruby Rom?
Wasn't this just answered a page or two ago by shinyquagsire?

Edit: My bad... It was answered in Research and Development by shinyquagsire not long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartierGenerale View Post
Hello,

i'm trying to edit Birch's Bag (Ruby)...i've exported image from unzl, after i've exported palette from VBA, ad i've applied my palette to the exported image. what has happened is that the bag is correctly recolour, while the grass not.

This is the result image:

how can i do for seeing the correct palette also in the grass?

thanks a lot
My guess is that there isa second pallete. Keep looking in VBA's pallete editor as there is probobly one pallete for the bag and one for the grass.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 20th, 2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:46 AM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

Quote:
That first tile is not indeed black, but rather empty. Transparent. If you want a black tile, you will have to find a tileset like the ones inside of houses which have actual black tiles in them that you can use.
thanks... here is another simple one...

do yes no questions HAVE to have a yes and no answer... could I just have a no answer and if its not no it was obviously yes...

instead of:
Spoiler:
callstd MSG_YESNO ' Yes/No message
compare LASTRESULT YES
if == jump 0x8800190 ' Equal To
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if == jump 0x8800160 ' Equal To

I use something like:
Spoiler:
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
jump 0x8800190
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:53 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
thanks... here is another simple one...

do yes no questions HAVE to have a yes and no answer... could I just have a no answer and if its not no it was obviously yes...

instead of:
Spoiler:
compare LASTRESULT YES
if == jump 0x8800190 ' Equal To
compare LASTRESULT 0x0

I use something like:
Spoiler:
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
jump 0x8800190
Exactly. If it doesn't jump for yes, then the answer was obviously no. Unless you use call and return, then you would need to have a second compare command since it is returning back to the script.

Paired with Simba
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

awesome... thanks... makes life much easier
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Doom Chaos
I don't have a title

Nature: Calm
Yo, currently hacking Pokemon Emerald and I'd like to do the following: change Wallace's battle theme (which is currently the champion theme) to the Regi's encounter theme. I'm not sure which tool I'm supposed to use for this. Help?
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:18 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Chaos View Post
Yo, currently hacking Pokemon Emerald and I'd like to do the following: change Wallace's battle theme (which is currently the champion theme) to the Regi's encounter theme. I'm not sure which tool I'm supposed to use for this. Help?
Most likely, a hex editor. Battle themes are not fun things to play with. You should find someone who knows a lot about music hacking.

Paired with Simba
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM
95gemello7
MrGarroz

Nature: Serious
I have a problem... How can I repeat the start of Dragon Claw's animation?
This is the animation's code i would repeat:
Spoiler:
002D 27 00 37 27 19 8F 00 C0 03 F9 A7 0B 08 0A 05 02 00 04 00 00 00 08 00 7F 0203 F9 89 09 08 05 05 00 00 00 00 02 00 0F 00 01 00 0E AD 31 1D 08 0E AD 31 1D08 02 54 4E 3D 08 02 02 06 00 04 00 02 38 74 3E 08 02 07

According to what I found in the tutorial of Chaos Rush, when the attack crashes you can end its animation and put another after it... But I can't repeat twice that animation!
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:34 PM
iDowngrade
Unhatched Egg

Please help!

When i import my front pokemon sprite with unlz.gba, it goes alright.
But when i import my back pokemon sprite with unlz.gba, when i test it ingame, the palette gets automatically messed up, any helps?

Please help!

But when i import my back pokemon sprite with unlz.gba, when i test it ingame, the palette gets automatically messed up, any helps?

Last edited by iDowngrade; February 20th, 2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 20th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Teh Blazer
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDowngrade View Post
Please help!

Please help!

The front sprite uses normal palettes and the backsprite (in unlz.gba) uses the shiny palette. When you import a new sprite, you are changing the palette (even if it's the same image, you're changing around which color goes first in the palette order) so instead of "blue green orange yellow" it becomes "yellow orange green blue"-- all of the blues in the original become yellow, all of the green's become orange, etc. even if the same colors were used.

There are other tools out there that specifically specialize in inserting front and back sprites (Wichu's Advance Sprite Editor, for example) and unlz.gba tends to mess up people when it comes to palettes.
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:11 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95gemello7 View Post
I have a problem... How can I repeat the start of Dragon Claw's animation?
This is the animation's code i would repeat:
Spoiler:
002D 27 00 37 27 19 8F 00 C0 03 F9 A7 0B 08 0A 05 02 00 04 00 00 00 08 00 7F 0203 F9 89 09 08 05 05 00 00 00 00 02 00 0F 00 01 00 0E AD 31 1D 08 0E AD 31 1D08 02 54 4E 3D 08 02 02 06 00 04 00 02 38 74 3E 08 02 07

According to what I found in the tutorial of Chaos Rush, when the attack crashes you can end its animation and put another after it... But I can't repeat twice that animation!
So, you cut the animation out to the point that it crashes. Now, did you remove the byte that caused it to crash? That could be your problem. Remove that byte and then duplicate the animation and see how it goes.

Paired with Simba
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM
QuartierGenerale

Quote:
My guess is that there isa second pallete. Keep looking in VBA's pallete editor as there is probobly one pallete for the bag and one for the grass.
Yes, probably there's a second palette...but neither bg nor obj are good for grass...where can i find a third palette?
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartierGenerale View Post
Yes, probably there's a second palette...but neither bg nor obj are good for grass...where can i find a third palette?
Go into the tile viewer and find the grass. Then look and see if it gives a number for "pal". Hopefully, this will be shown and it is the pallet row (if the top row is 0) in VBA. I'll give it a look also.

Edit:
Never mind, it doesn't tell which pallet. However, I believe it to be pal #1 (if the top row is 0) in the bg pallets. So, open up the memory viewer to the location of the pallet and search for those bytes in a hex editor.

Paired with Simba

Last edited by karatekid552; February 21st, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
QuartierGenerale

It's a terrible palette with 8 identical yellow ad a couple of green

is there a way to change it?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here