The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 19th, 2013 (11:58 PM).
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Yahoo to ISNorden
I'm currently stuck in/around Floaroma Town, wondering how to get onto the upper ledges of the meadow so I can reach the Valley Windworks from there. Could someone please give me directions? I'd appreciate that very much. (For what it's worth, I'm playing Pearl on DeSMuME for Windows.) Thanks!

" Coming this fall to Jubilife TV: Lost Beyond Space!"
Old February 20th, 2013 (12:06 AM).
Sonkitts

Hello

I stopped playing short of the DS. Back in the day, I was the guru on Pokémon. Ask me anything about Gen III, II or I and I can tell you. I played them religiously, and still do.

I was recently given a DS (lucky me) along with Platinum and Diamond. I have just completed Diamond. Wow, what a game.

I have a question regarding the completion of the National Dex, something that has always been a blur to me. I Google'd plenty, but I get conflicting info.

Yellow is the only version I have completed, as in 150 Pokémon. It will automatically update to 151, without showing Mew. Therefore Mew isn't needed, and is unnecessary. Red and Blue too.

In Generation II, Event based Pokémon such as Celebi are treated the same as Mew.

In Generation III, Event legendary Pokémon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys as well as Ho-Oh and Lugia) are not required to qualify for any of the diplomas.

In Generation IV, Event legendary Pokémon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus as well as Ho-Oh and Lugia), are not required to qualify for any of the diplomas.

Is all this correct? Therefore in order to complete the National Dex in Gen IV, I need to migrate Kanto Pokémon from Fire Red and Leaf Green, Johto Pokémon (the ones not available in FR/LG and in the wild post Elite Four), Hoenn Pokémon from migrating them from Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire, and version exclusive Pokémon from Pearl/Diamond or Platinum respectively?

Yes I am a perfectionist! Making up for lost time...
Old February 20th, 2013 (02:41 AM).
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Brave
Quick questions belong in the 4th Gen Help thread; please post any further questions you have there!

Swoosh
Old February 20th, 2013 (02:46 AM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonkitts View Post
Is all this correct? Therefore in order to complete the National Dex in Gen IV, I need to migrate Kanto Pokémon from Fire Red and Leaf Green, Johto Pokémon (the ones not available in FR/LG and in the wild post Elite Four), Hoenn Pokémon from migrating them from Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire, and version exclusive Pokémon from Pearl/Diamond or Platinum respectively?
Yes it is correct. You need your 4th Gen game and also a copy of the 3rd Gen game (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) inserted into the second slot of your DS, located at the front bottom. You then have to select 6 Pokemon from the 3rd Gen game to transfer over, and it can only be Pokemon from the PC Box. And remember you cannot proceed until you select exactly six Pokemon for transfer.

Then you head to Pal Park (located on Route 221 in D/P/Pt, and Fuchsia City in HG/SS) where you can participate in a catching game to try and catch all 6 Pokemon, using Park Balls that are given to you. They have a 100% catch rate (similar to the Master Ball) so you'll catch the Pokemon without fail.

It's only on the DS and DS Lite though, so if you're using a DSi or 3DS you cannot utilize this feature.

More information on Pal Park can be found here. Good luck with completing your Pokedex!
Old February 20th, 2013 (07:50 AM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISNorden View Post
I'm currently stuck in/around Floaroma Town, wondering how to get onto the upper ledges of the meadow so I can reach the Valley Windworks from there. Could someone please give me directions? I'd appreciate that very much. (For what it's worth, I'm playing Pearl on DeSMuME for Windows.) Thanks!
Sadly, you don't get to access the ledged area in Floaroma Meadow, which leads from the Fuego Ironworks, until you get access to Surf, and once you do, you can surf from Route 205 to the left. Valley Windworks is all the way to the right from Floaroma.

Old February 20th, 2013 (10:12 AM).
Sonkitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Yes it is correct. You need your 4th Gen game and also a copy of the 3rd Gen game (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen) inserted into the second slot of your DS, located at the front bottom. You then have to select 6 Pokemon from the 3rd Gen game to transfer over, and it can only be Pokemon from the PC Box. And remember you cannot proceed until you select exactly six Pokemon for transfer.

Then you head to Pal Park (located on Route 221 in D/P/Pt, and Fuchsia City in HG/SS) where you can participate in a catching game to try and catch all 6 Pokemon, using Park Balls that are given to you. They have a 100% catch rate (similar to the Master Ball) so you'll catch the Pokemon without fail.

It's only on the DS and DS Lite though, so if you're using a DSi or 3DS you cannot utilize this feature.

More information on Pal Park can be found here. Good luck with completing your Pokedex!
Thanks !

Is this also the case in Gen III then? The Legendary/Unobtainable Pokémon aren't necessary for completing the Pokédex such as Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Things would be so much easier if we could trade with Gen II games... ¬.¬
Old February 20th, 2013 (12:26 PM). Edited February 20th, 2013 by Hikamaru.
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonkitts View Post
Thanks !

Is this also the case in Gen III then? The Legendary/Unobtainable Pokémon aren't necessary for completing the Pokédex such as Lugia and Ho-Oh.

Things would be so much easier if we could trade with Gen II games... ¬.¬
That's correct, Ho-Oh/Lugia and the Event Legendaries are not needed for 3rd Gen and D/P/Pt's National Pokedex completion.

Sadly you cannot transfer from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen, since the GBC is incompatible with the GBA.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (11:05 PM).
d00bt00b
Genxo

My trainer ID is 00217. Does this positively or negatively effect my ability to get a shiny? I've been soft resetting for about 15 hours and still haven't gotten a shiny starter.
Old February 23rd, 2013 (11:13 PM).
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
Ahhhh soft resetting for a shiny starter takes patience, fifteen hours is a long time but remember some people can go for months before they find one. D:

However just checking up on Bulbapedia, it did say the Trainer ID affected many things along with a secret ID that can be viewed by various methods. The SID does affect if a Pokemon is shiny or not but it didn't say much more other than that, but I don't believe your Trainer ID determines the shinies.If you still need clarifying or want to read more about it, you can go here and check out the info. :3

Hope I helped and good luck! :D.
. :p
Old February 26th, 2013 (06:35 AM).
ISNorden
Teddiursa

I've spent the past 3-4 days looking for a safe route to Pastoria City in the Pearl game, without success: the only unlocked paths lead straight through the Great Marsh, where I inevitably end up sunk up to my bleeping neck no matter how long I struggle. Those of you who've gotten that far before...is there a drier alternative that I'm overlooking? Please help if you can; what started as an addictively great game is becoming an exercise in frustration.

Old February 26th, 2013 (07:13 AM).
Totodilesteel99
Lord of Awesomeness

Nature: Jolly
No, sorry. I don't think there's another way. But if you walk, there's less chance of you get sunk. If you do get sunk, go Up, Right, Left, Down, Up ETC on your control pad, because that gets you out quicker.
Hope I helped!
If you are wondering why you are receiving cookies it's because i feel like it.
If you still reading now your just stupid. ;D

Join my Forum!
pokemasters.freeforums.org

Old February 26th, 2013 (09:38 AM).
Sydian
revolution

Nature: Timid
Take the route south of Veilstone. There's no mud on that route. Lots of trainers and grass, but no mud. It's the route I always take to Pastoria. I didn't even know people took the muddy one there. lol

Play the game to change the game
Old February 26th, 2013 (06:05 PM). Edited February 26th, 2013 by ISNorden.
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Take the route south of Veilstone. There's no mud on that route. Lots of trainers and grass, but no mud. It's the route I always take to Pastoria. I didn't even know people took the muddy one there. lol

Wow, you saved me--thank you so much! Somehow I thought all the roads near Lake Valor were closed until after the fight with Team Galactic; I stand corrected. Note to future confused newbies: you'll need a team that averages 25th-30th level (not to mention lots of healing supplies) to survive the fights on that beach south of Pastoria City. Fisherman Kenneth's Gyarados nearly KO'd my 19th level Roselia when I'd gotten the overgrown fish barely conscious!

Old February 26th, 2013 (07:43 PM).
ISNorden
Teddiursa

Thanks to Sydian's advice, I finally made it to Pastoria City and got ready to fight Crasher Wake. The water-maze with the colorful buttons is harder to navigate than it looks, though: Even with a guide from the GameFAQs web site, I always end up caught between a green and a yellow button in the southeastern part of the maze. Could a more experienced player please tell me how to avoid this problem? The only way I could start over was to open a save-state I kept before setting foot in the gym.

Old February 26th, 2013 (07:48 PM).
Sydian
revolution

It's really difficult for me to give directions to anything, driving somewhere, gym puzzles, you name it lol. So instead of trying to explain and use my shaky memory of this gym, have this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCCW9qi1Rjw

idk if you're playing DP or Platinum, but I don't think the gym changed for those games...the link is for the DP version though, if in fact they are different. If you're playing Platinum and it doesn't look the same, I guess just search for a Platinum one instead. Cheers.

Old February 26th, 2013 (08:59 PM).
curiousnathan

Please use the 4th Gen Help Thread for any future questions you may have.

Moved.
Old February 26th, 2013 (08:59 PM).
curiousnathan

Again, please use the 4th Gen Help thread for questions like these.

Moved.
Old February 27th, 2013 (02:18 PM).
RoreyG
Lizardon Man

Nature: Adamant
Hi everyone. I'm about to restart my Heart Gold and I'm thinking about what my final team would be:

If anybody has any ideas for potential movesets, I'd really like to hear them.

Old February 27th, 2013 (04:55 PM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoreyG View Post
Hi everyone. I'm about to restart my Heart Gold and I'm thinking about what my final team would be:

Feraligatr achieves good coverage with its level-up moves alone:
-Waterfall/Aqua Tail
-Ice Punch/Ice Fang
-Crunch
-Superpower/Earthquake

Arcanine (idk here):
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
-ExtremeSpeed
-Crunch
-Thunder Fang

Nidoking has a pretty wide movepool physically and specially, so really, go with what you want, but it must always carry a Ground STAB and have Poison Point as an ability; Rivalry is very unreliable.

Ampharos:
-Thunderbolt
-Power Gem
-Signal Beam
-filler

Pidgeot (use it as your Fly slave):
-Fly
-*insert filler moves in last 3 slots*

Heracross is amazing in-game and competitively:
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Night Slash
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Ability: Guts

But you're going to have to use something else as your Surf slave or have Feraligatr drop a coverage move for Surf.

Old February 27th, 2013 (06:38 PM).
Sydian
revolution

I'm sure competitive people would cringe at this, but Nidoking is able to learn Surf, and as PlatinumDude said, Nidoking has good attack and special attack, so you could always go mixed on his set and give him Surf. I don't think it'd be bad, and it'd allow Feraligatr to have Waterfall/Aqua Tail and get better use of either of those than it would from Surf.

Old February 27th, 2013 (08:56 PM).
curiousnathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoreyG View Post

Just a reminder that RMT questions (with incomplete teams) belong here. If you want any future help with your teams, that thread is your best friend! 8)
Old March 2nd, 2013 (10:32 PM).
ISNorden
Teddiursa

I've surfed over to Fuego Ironworks recently: the wild catches outside are great, the worker battles are OK, but those blasted spinning tiles are driving me nuts. How do I get the spin tiles to take me to that central room with the furnace and the boss? I keep missing that room no matter which path I choose.

Old March 3rd, 2013 (07:59 AM).
Lolcatcomics
Novice Geek

HI!
I recently got a copy of SoulSilver and have made it to the third, ghost-type gym leader already! However, it was harder than i thought it would be and eventually i was down to level 8 Ratttata whom i only keep around for cut and rock smash. I was totally prepared to lose, go back to the pokemon center, and try agian, but the foe's Grengar used mean look! None of my moves effect him and none of his moves effect me except hypnosis! Please advise! i really don't want to turn off the game and have to restart the whole gym.
Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2013 (08:11 AM).
Sydian
revolution

Quote:
I've surfed over to Fuego Ironworks recently: the wild catches outside are great, the worker battles are OK, but those blasted spinning tiles are driving me nuts. How do I get the spin tiles to take me to that central room with the furnace and the boss? I keep missing that room no matter which path I choose.
Here's a map of Fuego Ironworks. http://www.psypokes.com/platinum/map...oironworks.png

Quote:
HI!
I recently got a copy of SoulSilver and have made it to the third, ghost-type gym leader already! However, it was harder than i thought it would be and eventually i was down to level 8 Ratttata whom i only keep around for cut and rock smash. I was totally prepared to lose, go back to the pokemon center, and try agian, but the foe's Grengar used mean look! None of my moves effect him and none of his moves effect me except hypnosis! Please advise! i really don't want to turn off the game and have to restart the whole gym.
Thanks!
Are you like...in the battle right now? Sadly, there's nothing you can do if that's the case. You can maybe get Struggle to activate, but he might too, and he'd definitely be able to take out a Ratatta with it. Just take the loss, grind your levels more, and go back. Level 24 is the minimum I'd go in there.

Old March 3rd, 2013 (08:30 AM).
Lolcatcomics
Novice Geek

Quote:
Are you like...in the battle right now? Sadly, there's nothing you can do if that's the case. You can maybe get Struggle to activate, but he might too, and he'd definitely be able to take out a Ratatta with it. Just take the loss, grind your levels more, and go back. Level 24 is the minimum I'd go in there.
Ok, i just powered off and went pack to my last save( start of gym). this time, i'm leaving my Rattata in the PC. My problem was that i couldn't die, couldn't kill him, and couldn't switch out. i was stuck. actually, i'd better leave my Slowpoke behind too. Thanks for your help!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links