Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates
Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Esper

Advertise here
Kind of a broad topic, but how do you feeling about the line between public and private? Where do you think it lies (or where you think it should lie)?

If that's too broad, then here are some other questions: Should some things always be public or private? Do certain situations (flying on a plane or speaking to police) or people (such as politicians, celebrities, or children) change what should be public and private? What is privacy? Is privacy a right or privilege?

deviantart blog pair
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:29 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Privacy is a right. Those exact words don't appear in the Constitution, but it is implied in the Constitution.
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:31 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Privacy is a necessary human right. It's one of the few basic ways in which we can protect our own interests from others who would do us harm.
Doctors Without Borders: one of the few charity groups you can rely on to actually do real good in the world.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Esper

Okay, so if privacy is a right, how far does it extend? Should I be allowed to keep my name private or what kind of job I have?

deviantart blog pair
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
I'm in a very contradictory camp of, at first, on say some new measure of some sort being propose, I'd probably be like "Well, you have no reason to worry if you have nothing to hide"... until I end up being the group they're watching XD Even if I have nothing to hide.

The police (broad-term) should go back to full-fledged policing and detective work. Surveillance and waiting catch someone in the act is not really how they're supposed to go about it.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:32 PM
FreakyLocz14
Conservative Patriot
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
Okay, so if privacy is a right, how far does it extend? Should I be allowed to keep my name private or what kind of job I have?
That depends on who you are, and who is infringing on your privacy. You have the utmost right to privacy against government intrusion, such as surveillance by government entities, or laws that limit your rights to make your own decisions in life. Private parties also cannot trespass on your property, tap your phone calls or emails, etc. Your name isn't private information, since your name is what you want to be referred to by by others. It's also kind of hard to keep the nature of your employment private, since most jobs will require you to interact with the public. Generally, the courts have ruled that you don't have an expectation of privacy when you don't try to keep the information in question hidden from the public.

Public figures (politicians, celebrities, etc.) have a diminished expectation of privacy. While we all can agree that politicians are public servants, so the public deserves to know about them, celebrities are not political representatives, so should they have a diminished expectation of privacy just because the nature or their work has them in the media often? It is even more controversial when people become public figures through no fault of their own. For example, people who are charged with a serious crime and garner a lot of media attention are considered to be public figures, even if they are later acquitted for the charges against them.

Last edited by FreakyLocz14; February 21st, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old February 7th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Moogles
better than u
Community Supporter

I believe it's also safe to say that anything that would fall under privileged communication should remain private to the extent of the law.
Me. I am Moogles... The Elusive Chanteur

Quote:
Honestly, Moogles, your posts are so nigh impossible to understand that I cannot help but just scratch my head. I know you’re trying to be clever and cute with your outright… pitiful writing style, but I’ll… try to tackle whatever drivel you said.
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
So long as you're not causing others harm through it, I don't see why not.
Doctors Without Borders: one of the few charity groups you can rely on to actually do real good in the world.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Livewire
でんきタイプ

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
In the post 9-11 world, the line between the two is blurred and distorted. You have a right to privacy. Personal beliefs and decisions, actions, practices, etc, that don't harm your average citizen are yours and yours alone.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here