The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Nature: Relaxed
Noooooo, GE Daily Chit-Chat, don't die on me! And just because I realised that I'm going to be away and not be able to watch the Oscars live next week due to being in Morocco! Nooooooooooo!
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Esper

You can watch the Moroccan Oscars then. Tell us who wins the award for best... um... adaptation or Casablanca. Or something.

So, speaking of adaptations, which camp do we fall into? Stay faithful to the book and fans (who have proven that changes aren't really necessary for success) or make whatever changes and improvements are necessary to make a good movie (because books can be popular with a narrow appeal and a movie needs broader appeal)?

deviantart blog pair
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Lax
Man, I just saw Toy Story 3, brought a tear to my eye. Spanish Buzz is god-tier, so out there and random, yet it worked brilliantly.
"Now that I know about Buzz's spanish mode I'll be fine!"
"My what now?"
Best line EVER.
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Solace
lasso the moon

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Solace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
So, speaking of adaptations, which camp do we fall into? Stay faithful to the book and fans (who have proven that changes aren't really necessary for success) or make whatever changes and improvements are necessary to make a good movie (because books can be popular with a narrow appeal and a movie needs broader appeal)?
Personally, I'm more of a supporter of sticking to the elements of the book as to appeal to the fandom that whatever is being adapted has garnered. I mean, really, consider the demographic that is likely to see the adapted movie. I would expect that the general consensus of said demographic will consist of those that are apart of the fandom and want to see their favorite book on the big screen, and the minority of such is made up of people that want to see a good movie to kill some time. I would be more willing to try and keep that fandom entertained with what they expect rather than switching things around.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
Personally, I'm more of a supporter of sticking to the elements of the book as to appeal to the fandom that whatever is being adapted has garnered. I mean, really, consider the demographic that is likely to see the adapted movie. I would expect that the general consensus of said demographic will consist of those that are apart of the fandom and want to see their favorite book on the big screen, and the minority of such is made up of people that want to see a good movie to kill some time. I would be more willing to try and keep that fandom entertained with what they expect rather than switching things around.
I'm inclined to agree with you, but then at the back of my mind there is this little voice which says that it's good to get pushed out of your comfort zone. Like with the last Twilight movie they, briefly, made you think things weren't going to go the way you thought they were going to go and the movie was better (relatively) for changing that from the book.

deviantart blog pair
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Vader
League Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Vader
Most of the time people treat the book like a sacred cow and stay as literal to the book as possible, which is usually a good thing, but sometimes I feel that there are elements that would be better if changed or altered. The Lord of The Rings comes to mind, in a few scenes. The book isn't immaculate.
Old February 20th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Solace
lasso the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarf View Post
I'm inclined to agree with you, but then at the back of my mind there is this little voice which says that it's good to get pushed out of your comfort zone. Like with the last Twilight movie they, briefly, made you think things weren't going to go the way you thought they were going to go and the movie was better (relatively) for changing that from the book.
Sure, sure, small alterations such as that are fine in my eyes, as they add a little flavor to the film, but it's also just that; a little flavor. It's not too much, and it's not too little that it's just a mirror image of the novel. It makes the audience feel like they are truly apart of a familiar-feeling adaptation of their favorite book, while at the same time giving it something that will make it more memorable than just what I said before, a mirror image of the novel.

Speaking of which, that was one fine twist that was added!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Most of the time people treat the book like a sacred cow and stay as literal to the book as possible, which is usually a good thing, but sometimes I feel that there are elements that would be better if changed or altered. The Lord of The Rings comes to mind, in a few scenes. The book isn't immaculate.
Some consider it a cardinal sin to not stay completely illiberal during the creation of the adaptation, haha.
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Vader
League Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Vader
I know I know lol. I'm a purist when it comes to certain things, haha. LIKE BATMAN
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
Esper

I think we're all purists when it comes to the things closest to our hearts.

I still rage quietly about the adaptations of Earthsea.

deviantart blog pair
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:43 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I'm all about making the adaptation the best it can be. For the most part, what you like about a book won't be the same about what you like about a filmed version of the book: film allows for a much more visual approach to storytelling, whereas novels allow you to really get inside the characters' heads and really know what they're thinking. Because of that, I'm much more amenable to film-makers changing things up. If they treat the source material like it's a Bible or something, you might get a nice adaptation of a book, but it probably won't be appropriately cinematic in the same way that non-adaptation films often are.
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:21 PM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
Guys... where's the Oscars prediction thread? :D
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Solace
lasso the moon

I'm not anticipating the Oscars all that much, though since Lincoln has, if I recall, thirteen nominations, I'm somewhat eager to see where the ball falls in its court.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Yuri Lowell
"来い, 雪器! 雪!"

Nature: Brave
I haven't even seen Lincoln yet, but I heard it was really good, and I want to.

As for the Oscars, I'd like to be around for them, but I'll be at work when they air, and then probably too tired to watch them after my shift. Then they'll sit on the DVR for a few days until someone else deletes them, and I'll just read about them on the internet. 8|
boy, you should know what you're fallin' for.
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Esper

Oh, I just remembered that Seth Macfarlane is hosting the Oscars this year. That makes me want to watch them even less. I don't like that guy's face.

Instead, tonight I'm having a movie-watching party. Already watched Barbarella, which is like the whole of the late 60s distilled into 100 minutes.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:37 PM
Solace
lasso the moon

To anyone who watched the Oscars, remember Michelle Obama's satellite appearance in which she announce the winner for Best Film? And perhaps the controversy that ensued?

Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — Michelle Obama says it was "absolutely not surprising" to her that her satellite appearance at the Academy Awards ceremony provoked a national conversation about whether it was appropriate, after some conservative critics accused her of selfishly crashing the event in an attempt to upstage it. She attributed the chatter to a culture shift that has spawned legions of bloggers, tweeters and others who talk about anything and everything all the time.
"Shoot, my bangs set off a national conversation. My shoes can set off a national conversation. That's just sort of where we are. We've got a lot of talking going on," the first lady said only somewhat jokingly Thursday before an appearance in Chicago, her hometown. "It's like everybody's kitchen-table conversation is now accessible to everybody else so there's a national conversation about anything."
source

Thoughts on this? Personally I agree with Mrs. Obama on the issue - social media and the need to feel important and respected on the internet by sparking controversy over otherwise trivial issues is starting to dominate our world, even to the point where not physically showing up for an awards show is something worthy of starting a world war over.
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:26 PM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

I really didn't see any issue with her presenting Best Picture. I think the reaction people are giving is a little over the top. So she presented an award via satellite. I severely doubt she was intentionally trying to upstage the entire event.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Esper

MO is a fashion icon. Shouldn't that be enough to warrant her participation in an event like this? People just want an excuse to complain.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

Oh my lordy, who cares? There's been precedent for White House involvement in the Oscars, so this isn't even a new thing. (I believe the Reagans did something similar in the 80s, which makes sense given that they both were actors before he became the President and she the First Lady.) Storm in a teacup/mountain out of a molehill, if you ask me.

I just want to talk about how bland the actual awards were. I didn't end up watching them as I couldn't get a good stream in Morocco, but the liveblogs that I ended up reading filled me in on most of the deets. Still, there was a tie! That's only happened, like, 4 times previously, so that was cool. And DDL's speech was cool (but he always gives great speeches). But, that's about it, in all honesty. Bring on the 2014 ones in just under 12 months time!
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

Nature: Careful
There were some memorable speeches that night (I thought Curfew's Shawn Christensen gave a heartfelt speech, and DDL was of course great), and then some bad ones (the visual effects speech, which was cut off by the Jaws theme, for example). It was a dull night. I thoroughly enjoyed the intro, but McFarlane's jokes were mostly hit-and-miss. He did okay hosting I guess. I admit I was a bit taken aback by the Michelle Obama appearance (I remember saying to myself, "That's the surprise presenter?!"), but I didn't mind it.

There were really no surprises, to be honest, besides that tie.

So, any films you guys are looking forward to being released this year? I can't wait for Pacific Rim and Linklater's Before Midnight, but I'm particularly excited about Ain't Them Bodies Saints. Rooney Mara has a big year ahead of her, and I'm interested in what she'll bring to the table as an actress after her Dragon Tattoo turn, but I'm admittedly a huge Casey Affleck fan and I really cannot wait for his performance here. Malick has a film or two pegged for this year too, but I can't say I'm excited for either.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter Tier 2

Any films? ANY FILMS? That sir, is an understatement. Sure tastes vary but this year is drool inducing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_in_film
Sure most of the big releases are sequels, but what sequels man. Insidious Chapter 2, Sin City: A Dame to Die For, Fast and Furious 6, Hangover 3, e.t.c Not to mention comic book wise we got Thor, Wolverine, Ironman, and Superman all in one year, so many guilty pleasures like After Earth Percy Jackson and the Hunger Games, and a decent amount of new films to whet any fan of cinema's appetite.

Also good news everyone, Jim Carrey's in for Dumb and Dumber To.
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
King of Kaiju

Nature: Quirky
^ I thought Jim Carrey doesn't do sequels, because he thought it was boring to play the same character twice?

Credit goes to anon from JoyReactor.com for the sig he posted
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Esper

So, GE Chit-Chatters, what's good in television these days?

deviantart blog pair
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
Who needs television when there is the internet!

trust me, I am the Doctor !
Auspistice | Matesprit | Moirail | Kismesis

roleplays | CROSSROADS | DigiDestined
fiction | The Color Of Your Hand
fanclub | HOMESTUCK

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

The internet has become my TV in recent years. It's actually kinda sad how little British TV I watch; most of it is just made up of US TV, which routinely wipes the floor with British stuff. But a lot of the really good shows that have aired recently have just ended or are ending (Bunheads, Girls, Enlightened). The TV landscape seems really tumbleweedy at the moment, unfortunately.
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
The Good Wife is really good this season! So is Revenge... but those are the only two shows that I watch that are airing here at the moment. Grey's Anatomy is still on hiatus for some reason even I can't explain... it should have been back in early February.

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links