The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 11th, 2013 (08:03 PM).
chespinliz
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quiet
since lots of people believe that jynx is mr mime female counter part an there can be female mr mime i think we should ask them to make mr. mime a male only pokemon. it is a pet peeve of mine!

Old February 11th, 2013 (08:35 PM).
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Too late for that, I'm afraid. Mr. Mime was given its name before genders were introduced. Granted, yeah, they could've made Mr. Mime a male-only species in G/S/C onward, but like I said, it's too late for GameFreak to change the gender ratios of the currently known Pokémon.

Old February 11th, 2013 (08:48 PM).
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Too late for that, I'm afraid. Mr. Mime was given its name before genders were introduced. Granted, yeah, they could've made Mr. Mime a male-only species in G/S/C onward, but like I said, it's too late for GameFreak to change the gender ratios of the currently known Pokémon.
yep, better just do what me and my friends do and nickname all the females ms. mime

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old February 11th, 2013 (09:33 PM).
Oryx
CoquettishCat
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
yep, better just do what me and my friends do and nickname all the females ms. mime
Haha that's clever!

His Japanese name has nothing to do with gender anyway, which is the real issue here. Since it's made in Japan, they wouldn't base genders on a local translation. The people you guys have issue with are the original localizers, who didn't plan ahead, not the game makers really.

Theme * Pair * VM * PM

Not all men...

Are all men stupid?

That's right.

Old February 11th, 2013 (10:41 PM).
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
I thought Mr. Mime already was 100% male? Yikes, looks like we have our first transgender Pokémon (not that that's a problem or anything, just for giggles).
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 11th, 2013 (11:33 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
His Japanese name has nothing to do with gender anyway, which is the real issue here. Since it's made in Japan, they wouldn't base genders on a local translation. The people you guys have issue with are the original localizers, who didn't plan ahead, not the game makers really.
QFT.
Just because American release has it as Mr. doesn't matter that it has to be 100% male when Japanese name has nothing to do with gender.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old February 12th, 2013 (12:57 PM).
Toutebelle
Banned

Nature: Sassy
You might as well say the Geodude line should be male-only because it has "dude" in it.

Personally, I think that the Generation I English names look kind of awkward and not well thought-out in comparison to the names found in Generation II and onwards. Then again, back when Pokemon was first localized things were different. (I'm a sworn enemy of Genwunners.)
Old February 14th, 2013 (07:20 AM).
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

I never really thought the first generation had the most well thought out names, either. Well, Vulpix is clever.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 14th, 2013 (07:48 AM).
lifeburst
ROAR OF TIME

Nature: Timid
Mr. Mime should be male only. When we're at it, Buneary and Lopunny should be female only, aswell as Skitty and Delcatty.
Old February 14th, 2013 (08:00 AM).
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

W-wh... I hope that's a joke that's been writen really, really dryly.

Cool screen capture in your sig, btw.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old February 14th, 2013 (08:18 AM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Could say the same for KINGdra, it happens a lot in Pokemon.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old February 14th, 2013 (09:31 AM).
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
Mr Mime doesn't have a gender prefix in the Japanese version of the game, it was only in the English version that he has one, that's why he's not male only, cause he never had a male specific name to begin with.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old February 14th, 2013 (11:06 AM).
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I do think it's really weird seeing a female MR. Mime... it really doesn't make sense.
There's a few other Pokemon that I think should be gender specific, like Gardevoir, especially since Gallade, a male only Pokemon, was introduced

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Little Big Planet 3

☆ Currently playing: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and Shovel Knight

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old February 18th, 2013 (04:44 PM).
Bobby Emerald
A voice of reason.

Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I think we could let that one slide...I consider the name Kingdra to be like, an Emperor Penguin type thing...you know what I mean? There are female emperor penguins, so a female Kingdra wouldn't be awkward. At least not nearly as awkward as a female Mr. Mime (thanks a lot localizers....)
Old February 18th, 2013 (05:11 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
They named Mr.Mime because in Gen I, genders weren't implemented yet and they didn't thought about Pokemon having genders

If you wanna help out the cause, name every female Mr.Mime you find 'Mrs. Mime'! Let's start a revolution!
Old February 19th, 2013 (02:04 AM).
Osha_say_wott?!
osha osha

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Osha_say_wott?!
It's not even the name that should make him male only.. He looks like a guy. o.o
Old February 19th, 2013 (01:45 PM).
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osha_say_wott?! View Post
He looks like a guy. o.o
Compared to the Machop line... barely . BTW, Machop can also be any gender.

English names have absolutely no bearing on whether a Pokémon can be only a male, a female or either one, because they are given to Pokémon long after the Pokémon is created and fully defined. Japanese names might.

And apparently, neither does appearance. For instance, during Gen 1, all my friends were convinced all Goldeen were female and became male during evolution in Seaking (BTW, not that far-fetched a theory, some fish can actually change their gender, but I digress) . Then Gen 2 came around, proving both Pokémon could be of either gender.
Old February 21st, 2013 (04:37 PM).
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
It should also be mentioned that Jynx is a female-only Pokémon, so why not Mr. Mime? It's probably too late to go back and change all the ones who look male or female but Mr. Mime should be 100% male in my opinion.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 22nd, 2013 (05:53 AM). Edited February 22nd, 2013 by 27thColt.
27thColt
The Water Nerd Guy

Nature: Brave
Sorry,too late.

Mr.Mime was introduced BEFORE gender was introduced in Gen 2.If you change the gender ratio of Mr.Mime in Gen 6, and still have the ability to import from Black/White/Black2/White2 to X/Y and you import a girl Mr.Mime,you will get bugs or the game might crash.You should've said that to Game Freak 13 years earlier in 2000.

sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaniOKh View Post
Compared to the Machop line... barely . BTW, Machop can also be any gender.

English names have absolutely no bearing on whether a Pokémon can be only a male, a female or either one, because they are given to Pokémon long after the Pokémon is created and fully defined. Japanese names might.

And apparently, neither does appearance. For instance, during Gen 1, all my friends were convinced all Goldeen were female and became male during evolution in Seaking (BTW, not that far-fetched a theory, some fish can actually change their gender, but I digress) . Then Gen 2 came around, proving both Pokémon could be of either gender.
I agree with you.Game Freak made pokemon like this because they wanted to have pokemon that would appeal to both genders.

Sometimes,i refer them as "he" or "she" depending on which pokemon instead of "it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
well what about in Japanese versions?
ok well,Kingdra has that name in Japanese also but other pokemon like geodude.

geodude in Japanese is Isitsubute.Our language doesn't have to affect how other people in the word see these pokemon.
Old February 22nd, 2013 (11:35 AM).
StinkomanFan
Intern of the Pokemon world

Nature: Quirky
Better to find a female Mister Mime than a male Gardevior. Imagine how odd it was to find out THAT was a guy. I remember when I figured out what those pink and blue things meant... good times... good times.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links