• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Which Generation is Your Favourite and Why?

Which Generation Was Your Favourite?

• Generation I (Red, Blue and Yellow)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Generation II (Gold, Silver and Crystal)

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red and Leaf Green)

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold and Soul Silver)

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Generation V (Black, White, Black 2, White 2)

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters

Guy

just a guy
Years
Generation III would be my favorite, hands down. Gen IV coming in a close second (Platinum and HG/SS are one of GameFreak's finest Pokémon games). Ruby was the first Pokémon game I ever got and for that, Gen III has a very special place in my book and it's also very nostalgic for me. I've replayed Ruby a number of times, I've honestly lost track. It's definitely the one game I've spent the most time with.

The Hoenn region is also one of the most well mapped regions in my opinion. There terrain is truly beautiful and the variety and difference between the towns and cities probably outmatches every other region thus far. Also, the Pokémon. The Pokémon designs in general are really great I think.

I also really enjoyed playing FireRed and LeafGreen. Since I didn't get to play RBY first, this was more or less my first time getting the chance to experience what those games were like except updated. Like Ruby, I also played those games a number of times well. Not to mention, it comes from the games that started it all.

Even though I grew up with the first gen it is not my favorite gen. That would Gen 4 of pokemon because it added so much to the series: GTS-Mean you did need Diamond and Pearl. Double battles?Vs seeker...more than I can remember but fourth gen changed the series for the better in my opinion.
Gen III is what introduced Double Battles and the Vs. Seeker. You're probably thinking about the Vs. Recorder, which was introduced in Diamond and Pearl.

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
My favorite at any given time is the current one - Pokemon stands alone among game franchises, IMO, for improving the games overall every time. I've never been disappointed with a single one of them and have liked each one more than the last.

So my current favorite is Gen V, and before that it was Gen IV, and so on. That said though, I'd have to say that the one that stands out the most - that seems most above and beyond what it might've been - would be Gen III. It has its flaws, just like all of them do, but...

I'm casting about, trying to figure out how to explain this.

Imagine that, out of nowhere, someone gives you a pile of money.
The first time they do it, they give you $1,000.
The second time, they give you $2,000
The third time, they give you $10,000
The fourth time, $11,000.
The fifth time, $12,000.

So it's free money every time - that's a good thing. And it's more every time, with the most recent being the best. But still... remember that third time? That jump all the way from two thousand to TEN thousand? That was really something, huh?

That's the way the third gen is to me, and why I wanted to mention it, even though, technically, the fifth gen is my favorite. For now.

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Gen 3. The first game I finished was LeafGreen (and the only, so far) and I have been working so hard on Emerald. Those two are my favorites. Gen IV closely follows. But there isn't a generation or region I dislike so far. I just love Pokemon.

Years
The first Pokemon game I played was Silver, and it was completely amazing to me.

Gen. II will always be my favorite, even though most of my childhood composed of Sapphire and Fire Red.
-Johto 4 life-

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
The first pokemon game I ever got was Pokemon Sapphire Version, so generation 3 has a special place in my heart. It got me back into watching the anime because I was really disappointed in the designs for the Johto pokemon, but Hoenn really intrigued me when I was little so I decided to get back into the series again.

I also loved the Hoenn region. The abundance of sea routes might have been annoying to some, but for me it made the region even more likable; I wouldn't mind living in Hoenn if it existed, and part of it is because there was so much water but also rainforests, deserts, and even a volcano. A lot of diversity compared to other regions.

And then generation 3 also introduced the vs. seeker, possibly my favorite key item in the series. Made training in FR/LG so much easier.

Koopa_T

Zygarde Infinite
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 24, 2023
My favourite is the IV Generation. I spend hours and hours in my Pearl version. The game itself had very good features, the map-was honestly good (except for maybe couple of area's), PokeWalker was indeed handy, remade the Jhoto Pokemon better, new items, online features, and train amazing Pokemon. Heart Gold was also one game I was connected to, because of the story and all the great features it had as well. I was very glad, hyper, and relief that the Pokemon Company made a remake of Gold and Silver. If I compare my Pearl and Heart Gold versions. Pearl has 597:27 game time and Heartgold with 203:11 :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Five has been such a game-changer for me that it has to be my favorite. :) I never fell in love with an individual Pokemon like Volcarona, and I never got as obsessed with a generation or a game like I have with Black and White.

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
Years
Gen II. Oh what I'd give to go back in time to the day where I first got Pokemon Silver. The Gen II games just seemed so perfect at the time, and to this day they'e still incredible games. The remakes are fantastic too, but the original games are fantastic and have charm. GSC is definitely in my top 5 video games of all time (counted as one game).

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
Years
Oh boy, that's a really difficult question. My personal experience with generation I is what I hold dearest to me. Its nostalgia has never passed me, and I still can't hold the tears back when I hear the Pallet town music playing. Generation I has some of my favourite pokémon, including Gengar, Slowbro, Raticate, Scyther, and of course Kangaskhan, the awesome kangaroo-dinosaur. I liked the designs a lot because they were simple, yet elegant. There are only a few rotten apples I can find in the first gen. There are some gen I pokémon I was indifferent about, but exeggcute and exeggutor I could never grow into, neither with tentacool and tentacruel. All in all though, the ratio of awesome to not so awesome pokémon was highest for this generation.

Generation II has got to be one of my favourites though. It's the one I stuck around with the longest. I was given a silver cartridge for my birthday and I've spent years playing on it. This one contains some of my all-time favourites, such as Ampharos (oh sweet Ampharos). Generation II also has some of the cutest starters, and the cutest "vendor trash" pokémon. The designs were yet again simple and elegant, and the graphics improved a lot.

Generation III is sort of a gap for me. I lost touch with the pokémon fandom at this time, but I've since started sifting through generation III again, and I've found many pokémon of generation III that are now rightfully in my favourites list, like Breloom.

Then came generation IV, which featured Lucario. And that's just about all there is that I can say about this generation. I like it. Some of the pokémon are a bit inelegant, as with every generation, but I loved the games as much as I loved the others.

Then came generation V. It's been the most difficult for me to adjust to. I'll be honest, it's the first, and hopefully the only generation that had designs that genuinely disappointed me. There are luckily a few treasures I hold dear and treat as if they were any other generation. I've found love for Seismitoad's cool appearance, I think Oshawott is ridiculously cute (and totally didn't deserve all the flak it got when the starters for gen V were announced). I think that Woobat and Swoobat are a nice change to the Zubat evolutionary family being the dominant cave-bat pokémon that tormented us as children every day we went into caves (yet, I am proud to have never used a repel in my life in those caves.) Reuniclus is the perfect result of cuteness mixed with jell-o, but all in all, many of the designs seemed unexpressive to me, unrelateable. However much I wanted to love them, there wasn't the same kind of vivid spark between me and them as there was with all the previous generations. I feel lucky to have found a few treasures in gen V between all of those disappointments that I can love though.

Now that generation VI is announced, I have my hopes up. The starters set a very promising prescedent for the design style that may be the red thread running through that generation. I'm sure it'll manage to impove the aspects that left me so disappointed and cold when generation V came out.

I hate to be seen as one of those genwunners, or as one of those blokes who complains on the internet that for them "there's still only 151 pokémon" because I could not possibly imagine a pokémon universe anymore without some later pokémon that I've come to love just as much and hold to equal standards as the pokémon I love from earlier generations. I think the issue has polarised the fandom into two camps of those who jingoistically try to defend pokémon from new generations, and those who do exactly the opposite and say that gen I is the worst of all, and that all the pokémon we once loved are obsolete and should be regarded as such. To me, that touch that gave them their endearing characteristics, the values or temperaments that are associated with every pokémon is something that can't be touched upon by their battle potency being surpassed by newer generations that can do it better nowadays. That is something that can't ever become obsolete. So, when it comes to choosing a favourite generation I'm tied between first and second.

(I hope that this made sense at all.)

Years
Based on play time exclusively, Gen III would appear to be my favorite, with somewhere in the range of 400 hours spread out across all of the games (with Gen IV a distant second at only about 175 hours). I've also enjoyed playing both HeartGold and White 2 immensely, with the true physical/special split adding a completely new dimension to battles.

Putting all of that aside, though, my favorite generation out of them all would have to be Gen II. Not only did they spawn excellent remakes about a decade later, but Gold was the first game that I owned, and the fun I had playing it as a kid has kept me a fan of the franchise to this day.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Generation II. It had me so wrapped up back then and I still get a nostalgic rush through me when I think about the times I'd watch the Johto series and play the Silver, Gold and Crystal versions.

Zebz213

Travelling Insomniac
Years
Gen III, because...everything. The pokemon, the battles, the routes, even the bleeping game music was amazing.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Generation 4 all the way because the Sinnoh region was my favorite and I raised my strongest pokemon (torrtera) in there

Years
I have to say Gen III for many reasons.

The first reason is the Pokemon. It had the coolest starters, cause you can't beat a kickass fighting chicken, a chubby axolotl and the king of the forests.

Then there's Lilycove City as a whole. The beautiful music, the department store, contest hall, the painting place. It's my favourite location in the entire series. On the topic of cities, there's just so many different ones, the basic towns, the robust Rustboro City, Sootopolis (which is situated in a former volcano), two towns on the side of Mt Chimney, a little jungle village where everyone lives in trees.
The variety of so many places, Pokemon, things to do in Generation III as opposed to the prior generations, where all the towns and cities were kind of similar with the only real things to do in the games being battle, catch and gamble.

So yeah, Gen III sits at the peak of my personal Pokemon mountain.

Years
Gen I.
I grew up with them. They ARE my childhood. When I was around 7-8 years I got my first cards and when I was 8 or 9 years my first gameboy with Pokémon games. They just are the only 151 pokémon I remember by heart. They are actually everything what Pokémon is about to me.
I enjoy and appreciate all later generations too but the first one still has a special place inside my heart and I will never ever forget them.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I think that Gen III is the most well rounded and overall most enjoyable generation.

The Hoenn region is a very good tropical region which has the most variety out of any region, even if the surfing near the end started to drag. It also has a great mix of complex, yet not overdone Pokemon. For me, this generation hits the sweet spot on Pokemon design - not too basic overall, yet not too complex.

I adore every single starter Pokemon as well, a feat I can only attribute to this gen and gen IV as well. The spin-off titles are also the 2nd best out of any gen, although gen IV beats III due to Mystery Dungeon 2.

My generation preference in order:

3 > 4 > 1 > 2 > 5

GrayJM9

Playing White 2
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Gen 5 because of the storytelling and all the after game activities.

Clairvoyance_

Arcanine
Years
Gen 2. I think the Pokemon look the best in this generation. I just love everything about the Johto region, too. <3 The storyline, the map, even the character sprites. Just amazing.

Years
I went with gen 3 because of the great pokemon designs and great mapping.

The first two games were great, yet limited in the design and mapping on the gb/gbc.

The 4th generation had great pokemon designs in the pokemon lines it introduced; however the enormous amount of new evolutions from past generations was unneeded and have a lasting negative effect on the series onward. Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Togekiss, Magnezone, Yanmega, Mamoswine, Porygon-Z, and Probonose were not great additions. Froslass, Dusnoir, Weavile, Roserade and a couple eeveelutions was more than sufficient. Though, I am on the fence amount electrivire, and magmortar, which should have included a Jynx evo. Overall, there were too many of them, and most of them were these bulky, poorly designed, and unneeded additions. Now, for the mapping, it was a mess; a game doesn't have to be linear, but this game was very diffuse and overly-complex in comparison to the other games. This is by far my least favorite generation.

B/W was a great addition to the series with original designs and GREAT mapping. There were an abundance of new features that made the game feel rejuvenated and fresh. The big criticisms I had was the Pokemon Musical, I prefer the third generation contests, and the story-line of the evil team; I mean, yes, forcing a Pokemon into captivity of a Pokeball doesn't seem so nice when you really think about, that is why GF ignored this type of plot because it does call into question some viable ethical issues. Overall, a good game though!

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2021
Tough call, even though HGSS would probably be my absolute favorite, I am not too impressed with DPPt, and Generation 5 brought us both BW and BW2 which were great. Generation 3 is also a close contender, featuring most of my favorite Pokémon designs along with some quite good games.

I guess if I had to make a choice I'd say Generation 5.

Back