• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underated Bands

Years
Ok so im just curious as to who people think are underrated in terms of bands, groups, solo artists ect

In my opinion, Rizzle Kicks are very underrated

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I can't agree one bit with Rizzle Kicks, haha. I feel they've had way more praise than they should. d:

There's a fine line, imo, between underrated and underground - loosely defining underground itself, that is. Just because people don't know of an artist doesn't mean that they're underrated; just that they're, well, not well-known. Underrated means to me that a lot of people know of the artist, but the majority of them don't realise how good they (subjectively) are. Of course there are a huge lot of factors that come into it - the main one which I can think of being the countries concerned; an artist driving us all insane with how overplayed they are in England may only just be poking their nose into America, for example, and will therefore seem underrated in America yet grossly overrated in England.

As for examples of underrated artists? I'll... get back to ya on that one. It'd need a good bit of thinking about.

Years
That's fair enough it is your opinion after all :) Just most of the people I talk to think that Rizzle Kicks are just kinda meh, whereas other people would disagree. Im just interested in other peoples opinions in other underrated bands/groups etc :)

Completely agree with you on that point too haha. As I say im just interested cuz all the people I know only go on about one genre of music and id like to hear others opinions, perhaps look up the people they've said and who knows, maybe enjoy some new music :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Mumford And Sons pre-award winning. I feel like they were well known, but for literally having album of the year they got little to no radio play and never featured on any kind of spotlight like some artists today are. Babel is phenomenal and thats coming from a rapper

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Mumford And Sons pre-award winning. I feel like they were well known, but for literally having album of the year they got little to no radio play and never featured on any kind of spotlight like some artists today are. Babel is phenomenal and thats coming from a rapper

They really do deserve some radio play. Legit, almost all the stuff on the radio, at least here anyway, is just pop music. I like pop music, but I also like diversity and I'd like to hear other stuff like Mumford and Sons and some other genres. But eh. Not what the majority of people want, it seems.

Anyway, I know they might not be too underrated anymore, but I'm going to say The Lumineers. I feel like all people know is Ho Hey and then that's gonna disappear off the radar and yeah. I mean...get the album. It's amazing. One song isn't enough to describe them.

Older Kings of Leon is really good and underrated too. I suppose it is because of the more "rough" sound than the latest two albums, namely the one that put them on the map on the radio and such. I remember when Only By the Night was still the latest album, my friend was like, "What's with this arena rock?!" baha. I like OBTN, but I think it's their weakest album. But of course, it has the singles that caught public eye (go away Use Somebody) and really, people should invest in the previous three albums to that one. I feel like Come Around Sundown, the album after OBTN, got thrown under the bus too. It's my favorite of their five albums and if all you've heard is Radioactive and Pyro, you're missing out on some treasures like Mary, Pickup Truck, and The Immortals. None of that generic arena rock sound. :P

Last edited:

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
I can't agree one bit with Rizzle Kicks, haha. I feel they've had way more praise than they should. d:

There's a fine line, imo, between underrated and underground - loosely defining underground itself, that is. Just because people don't know of an artist doesn't mean that they're underrated; just that they're, well, not well-known. Underrated means to me that a lot of people know of the artist, but the majority of them don't realise how good they (subjectively) are. Of course there are a huge lot of factors that come into it - the main one which I can think of being the countries concerned; an artist driving us all insane with how overplayed they are in England may only just be poking their nose into America, for example, and will therefore seem underrated in America yet grossly overrated in England.

As for examples of underrated artists? I'll... get back to ya on that one. It'd need a good bit of thinking about.

Spot-on post.

People love Justin Timberlake and his singles, but I don't think many people know just how good he is. His album FutureSex/LoveSounds, to me, is one of the best-sounding pop albums of recent memory. I really am quite excited to try out his upcoming album, and to see more of dat Timberlake/Timbaland collaboration.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 5, 2014
I'm very, very opinionated when it comes to music, so I'm going to have to restrain myself quite a bit. If I get out of hand, just let me know.

The first on my list of underrated artists is Dan Deacon. The man is one of my personal favorite musicians and even those who know of him don't seem to understand exactly what he does and why its so impressive. I think "Wet Wings" is one of his most polarizing pieces, so if you're looking for an example of what I'm talking about, search there first.

Second on the list is Devendra Banhart. We all know he dated Natalie Portman and had a fair bit of success based on that fact alone, but his earlier albums (El Nino Rojo in particular) get no play and contain his best work. Everything he produced before 2010 was incredible and some of his works can still stop me in my tracks even after listening to them hundreds and hundreds of times.

I've got plenty more up my sleeve, but past those two I tend to just ramble on and on.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Ohh, Nas was mentioned in this thread! I'd agree there - Illmatic was a damn fine album which I feel a lot of people into this genre don't fully appreciate, or even know much about. And speaking of the earlier albums of rappers who're pretty big now, I'd like to go out on a limb and chuck Jay-Z out there. Reasonable Doubt. Try it. I think it's pretty different to the newer, "marmite" Jay-Z and I feel like it's often overlooked as far as he's concerned which is a shame because I really enjoyed it.

Back