The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Yo!

I just read dieagoisawesome's tutorial, and now I am trying to follow its instructions but I get a problem.
I am trying to insert a Script that triggers when you walk on it, in a Fire Red rom.
Spoiler:
This is the main code BEFORE the compilation (movements and strings aren't included, they don't matter.)

#dynamic 0x80000000
#org @start
lockall
applymovement 0xFF @alert
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @respect 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @sit
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @okey 0x6
applymovement 0x5 @lookright
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @haha 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @lookleft
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x03 @lookleft
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x04 @lookdown
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @what 0x6
releaseall
end

I compile the code etc etc, when I run the rom and walk on the script to test my code, the movements are all aplied but not a single messagebox appears. So, I opened the script and noticed there is no 0x6 nor a callstd 0x6 in the code... and this is my problem: the callstd 0x6 disappears when I compile the code.
Spoiler:
This is the main code AFTER the compilation (movements and strings aren't included, they don't matter.)

#org 0x800721
lockall
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x8800781
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800785 '"\c\h01ÇSensei\c\h01Á: [player]!!!\p..."
//as you can see there is no callstd 0x6
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880081D
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800821 '"\c\h01ËHero\c\h01Á: ...\p\c\h01ËHer..."
applymovement 0x5 0x880086A
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x880086D '"Goryla: AHAHA!!!"
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880087F
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x3 0x880087F
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x4 0x8800882
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800885 '"\c\h01ËHero\c\h01Á: What are you la..."
releaseall
end

P.S.: I tried "msgbox @alert callstd 0x6" instead of "msgbox @alert 0x6", but nothing changes
P.S. #2: I tried to insert "callstd 0x6" after every message in the compiled code, it worked, BUT the last part of the code does not work, apparently it went trought the offset of another code or something like that!
Spoiler:
This is the main code after adding "callstd 0x6"s (movements and strings aren't included, they don't matter.)

#org 0x800528
lockall
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x8800580
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800584 '"\c\h01ÇSensei\c\h01Á: [player]!!!\p..."
callstd 0x6
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880061C
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800620 '"\c\h01ËHero\c\h01Á: ...\p\c\h01ËHer..."
callstd 0x6
applymovement 0x5 0x8800669
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x880066C '"Goryla: AHAHA!!!"
callstd 0x6
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880067E
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x3 0x880067E
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x4 0x8800681
waitmovement 0x0
//So, here, the code is messed up: The 4th msgbox, releaseall and end are missing
msgbox 0xFE546285
call 0xCD0401FC

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
Yo!

I just read dieagoisawesome's tutorial, and now I am trying to follow its instructions but I get a problem.
I am trying to insert a Script that triggers when you walk on it, in a Fire Red rom.
Spoiler:
This is the main code BEFORE the compilation (movements and strings aren't included, they don't matter.)

#dynamic 0x80000000
#org @start
lockall
applymovement 0xFF @alert
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @respect 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @sit
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @okey 0x6
applymovement 0x5 @lookright
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @haha 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @lookleft
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x03 @lookleft
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x04 @lookdown
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @what 0x6
releaseall
end

I compile the code etc etc, when I run the rom and walk on the script to test my code, the movements are all aplied but not a single messagebox appears. So, I opened the script and noticed there is no 0x6 nor a callstd 0x6 in the code... and this is my problem: the callstd 0x6 disappears when I compile the code.
Spoiler:
This is the main code AFTER the compilation (movements and strings aren't included, they don't matter.)

#org 0x800721
lockall
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x8800781
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800785 '"\c\h01ÇSensei\c\h01Á: [player]!!!\p..."
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880081D
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800821 '"\c\h01ËHero\c\h01Á: ...\p\c\h01ËHer..."
applymovement 0x5 0x880086A
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x880086D '"Goryla: AHAHA!!!"
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880087F
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x3 0x880087F
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x4 0x8800882
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800885 '"\c\h01ËHero\c\h01Á: What are you la..."
releaseall
end

P.S.: I tried "msgbox @alert callstd 0x6" instead of "msgbox @alert 0x6", but nothing changes
P.S. #2: I tried to insert "callstd 0x6" after every message in the compiled code, it worked, BUT the last part of the code does not work, apparently it went trought the offset of another code or something like that!
Spoiler:
This is the main code after adding "callstd 0x6"s (movements and strings aren't included, they don't matter.)

#org 0x800528
lockall
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x8800580
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800584 '"\c\h01ÇSensei\c\h01Á: [player]!!!\p..."
callstd 0x6
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880061C
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x8800620 '"\c\h01ËHero\c\h01Á: ...\p\c\h01ËHer..."
callstd 0x6
applymovement 0x5 0x8800669
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox 0x880066C '"Goryla: AHAHA!!!"
callstd 0x6
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x880067E
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x3 0x880067E
waitmovement 0x0
applymovement 0x4 0x8800681
waitmovement 0x0
//So, here, the code is messed up: The 4th msgbox, releaseall and end are missing
msgbox 0xFE546285
call 0xCD0401FC

I don't know why all of your strings are messed up, however I do know that on XSE 1.0.0, you can't do a msgbox @msg 0x6. It just isn't supported, which is why you must callstd. However, it is supported in v.1.1.1. Your other problem, I believe is that you edited the in game, already compiled script. If you add to a script, you must repoint it, because it takes up more room.

Paired with Simba
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Oh! Indeed, I am using V1.0.0. I'll look for the newer version and try again, thank you! :]
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Trainer Cyan
Unhatched Egg

ok thnx for helping me with the script but now when i do have the badge he disappears and then respawns as soon as i step one foot, I want to make him go away forever and I think I set my flags correctly :/

Spoiler:
'---------------
#org 0x2F6583
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto 0x82F65B4
msgbox 0x82F678C MSG_FACE '"You can't pass\p there have been \..."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x2F65B4
msgbox 0x82F67E9 MSG_FACE '"That badge! ok you can go,\nbut be..."
waitmsg
fadescreen 0x3
closeonkeypress
hidesprite LASTTALKED
fadescreen 0x2
setflag 0x209
release
end
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:38 AM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainer Cyan View Post
ok thnx for helping me with the script but now when i do have the badge he disappears and then respawns as soon as i step one foot, I want to make him go away forever and I think I set my flags correctly :/

Spoiler:
'---------------
#org 0x2F6583
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto 0x82F65B4
msgbox 0x82F678C MSG_FACE '"You can't pass\p there have been \..."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x2F65B4
msgbox 0x82F67E9 MSG_FACE '"That badge! ok you can go,\nbut be..."
waitmsg
fadescreen 0x3
closeonkeypress
hidesprite LASTTALKED
fadescreen 0x2
setflag 0x209
release
end
You need to go into advance map and change his Person ID to 209. Also fadescreen 0x3 and 0x2 is right? I usually do fadescreen 0x1 then fadescreen 0x0.

People whom I thank:
Comrade -- For helping me with my bad hack, and for being a good friend
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Anbuja's_BlooDY -- Graphics help, and being a good friend
FBI -- For having the username I wanted
Old February 18th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
I'd check to make sure you didn't clear or reuse 0x200 at all. I know it sounds stupid, but at this point your error doesn't seem like it should've caused an error.
I haven't used it...I only new it was free because we used it to fix that starter script I worked on a while ago, which was in a different hack...

Oh well. It's a very negligible event really. Only for plot consistency...too bad it won't work though.

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:43 PM
thetripplenine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetripplenine View Post

Oh, Totally My bad... Sorry for the trouble.
So how do I make it so the boat will be on the other side, cause when I did it the person was somewhere else and not where I wanted him to be and the ship randomly disappeared....

Sorry It took me so long to reply I was doing other stuff...

Fully Grown Dragons:
Spoiler:
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:44 PM
SporreKing
Unhatched Egg

Hello guys! I have been doing scripts earlier but only using PokeScript and now I wanna move on and try XSE.

So i did a simple script:

---------------------------

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nMy name is SporreKing.

-------------------------------
And that's supposed to work if I'm not wrong.... But in my case I'm not talking to a person. My script is triggered by a "ScriptEvent" inside AdvanceMap. But whenever I step on the ScriptEvent the game is freezing and I can't do anything. I guess the problem is that "lock" doesn't really have any target since there's no Person, only a ScriptEvent, "faceplayer" doesn't work either because there's nobody who can face the player. But that's just a theory of mine.

Is my theory right, and how should i do instead if it is?

If my theory is wrong.... What's causing the freezing?
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:14 PM
FBI agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporreKing View Post
Hello guys! I have been doing scripts earlier but only using PokeScript and now I wanna move on and try XSE.

So i did a simple script:

---------------------------

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nMy name is SporreKing.

-------------------------------
And that's supposed to work if I'm not wrong.... But in my case I'm not talking to a person. My script is triggered by a "ScriptEvent" inside AdvanceMap. But whenever I step on the ScriptEvent the game is freezing and I can't do anything. I guess the problem is that "lock" doesn't really have any target since there's no Person, only a ScriptEvent, "faceplayer" doesn't work either because there's nobody who can face the player. But that's just a theory of mine.

Is my theory right, and how should i do instead if it is?

If my theory is wrong.... What's causing the freezing?
Hmm, that theory is kinda right. Another problem is that you put that kinda script on a person, not a script event tiles. Another problem on top of that problem is that, you need to specify var values and var numbers. Faceplayer only works when you speak with an actual overworld.

People whom I thank:
Darthatron -- Helping me get into basic ASM, even though I'm hopeless. (He is heartless stay away).
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:10 PM
SporreKing
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
Hmm, that theory is kinda right. Another problem is that you put that kinda script on a person, not a script event tiles. Another problem on top of that problem is that, you need to specify var values and var numbers. Faceplayer only works when you speak with an actual overworld.
Ahhh, ok. But how should i do if i want a text box to pop up when i step on the ScriprEvent? I don't wanna talk to any1, only want a text box to pop up when i step on a specifoc place(ScriptEvent position) Also, what are those var values and var numbers you're talking about? And why do i need them?
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:22 PM
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Ahhh, ok. But how should i do if i want a text box to pop up when i step on the ScriprEvent? I don't wanna talk to any1, only want a text box to pop up when i step on a specifoc place(ScriptEvent position) Also, what are those var values and var numbers you're talking about? And why do i need them?
On a green-s-tile event in A-map, you are asked to fill out a var (variable number) and a value to go along with it. The script will only run when this tile is stepped on and the var is equal to that value. A good one to start with is var 5000, which is automatically set to zero before your first use. If you only want the script to run once, at the end of the script, add this as the last line:

setvar 0x5000 (or whichever var you chose) 0x1

Paired with Simba
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM
SporreKing
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
On a green-s-tile event in A-map, you are asked to fill out a var (variable number) and a value to go along with it. The script will only run when this tile is stepped on and the var is equal to that value. A good one to start with is var 5000, which is automatically set to zero before your first use. If you only want the script to run once, at the end of the script, add this as the last line:

Thx! I think I get it now, I really appreciate it. I'll return if iget any problems, one last question, faceplayer won't work, but will lock and release work?
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:28 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Thx! I think I get it now, I really appreciate it. I'll return if iget any problems, one last question, faceplayer won't work, but will lock and release work?
faceplayer wont work on S-tiled scripts.

If you want to make NPCs face you or any other direction, you'd need to add an applymovement command.

Also, I don't think lock is required, since it only tells the ROM to lock the NPC you are talking to in place. But you are using an s-tiled event, so it's of no use.
I am not sure about release though.
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:48 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

faceplayer wont work on S-tiled scripts.

If you want to make NPCs face you or any other direction, you'd need to add an applymovement command.

Also, I don't think lock is required, since it only tells the ROM to lock the NPC you are talking to in place. But you are using an s-tiled event, so it's of no use.
I am not sure about release though.

For script tiles, the commands are lockall and releaseall if you want the on screen NPC's to stop moving.

Paired with Simba
Old February 20th, 2013, 07:08 AM
SporreKing
Unhatched Egg

Quote:

Thanks for the help! It worked perfect now! :D
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Doom Chaos
I don't have a title

Nature: Calm
Hey fellas, I'm currently trying to edit Pokemon Emerald's champion script. You know, the one where the player is forced to talk to Wallace as soon as he enters the room and once he beats him, Prof. Birch appears and congratulates the player and the player is forced to go to the Hall of Fame with Wallace afterwards.

I tried using Advance Map 1.92 in order to find the script in the champion's room. Unfortunately, I cannot find it, so I cannot edit anything. What am I doing wrong? All I want to do is add another surprise trainer that appears right before Prof. Birch arrives, similar to Pokemon Shiny Gold's Carlos battle. It shouldn't be too hard to edit, but I need to find the original script first!

Thanks.
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:27 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Chaos View Post
Hey fellas, I'm currently trying to edit Pokemon Emerald's champion script. You know, the one where the player is forced to talk to Wallace as soon as he enters the room and once he beats him, Prof. Birch appears and congratulates the player and the player is forced to go to the Hall of Fame with Wallace afterwards.

I tried using Advance Map 1.92 in order to find the script in the champion's room. Unfortunately, I cannot find it, so I cannot edit anything. What am I doing wrong? All I want to do is add another surprise trainer that appears right before Prof. Birch arrives, similar to Pokemon Shiny Gold's Carlos battle. It shouldn't be too hard to edit, but I need to find the original script first!

Thanks.
It should just be a map script under the header tab in A-map. Remember, if you add to ot, you must repoint thay section sonce it will tale up more room than the origional.

Paired with Simba
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Doom Chaos
I don't have a title

Nature: Calm
Quote:
It should just be a map script under the header tab in A-map. Remember, if you add to ot, you must repoint thay section sonce it will tale up more room than the origional.
You are correct, it is a map script. Thanks! What do you mean by "ot", though? Just wondering.
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:19 AM
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Chaos View Post
You are correct, it is a map script. Thanks! What do you mean by "ot", though? Just wondering.
Sorry, " add to it" not ot, haha

Wow my spelling is awful. Sonce should be since and tale should be take. Sorry about that!

Paired with Simba
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:36 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Yo!

So, quickly, I added some Person Events to Viridian City's map. This map has a level script that applies some movement on those Person Events I added alongside another Person Event that originally exists in the said map.
The problem is that applymovement in the script does not work on the Person Events I just added in the map, only the Person Event that exists originally in the map is affected by applymovement.
So, I am wondering if I should add some specific values to these Persons Events?!?!
I find it weird tough since I was able to applymovement on some other Person Events that was added by me in a different map.

P.S.: I am using Advance Map 1.0.9 - It's a Fire Red rom v1.0
P.S. #2: In a different map (a "house" map) I created other Person Events (the same way!! only different thing is Person ID's) and applied to them applymovement throught a "trigger" Script and everything worked fine with them... I don't know why it won't work in the city's map.
P.S. #3: I tried different values for the concerned Person Events' Talking level, Movement and Movement type with no avail.
P.S. #4: Help! xD
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:53 AM
FBI agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
Yo!

So, quickly, I added some Person Events to Viridian City's map. This map has a level script that applies some movement on those Person Events I added alongside another Person Event that originally exists in the said map.
The problem is that applymovement in the script does not work on the Person Events I just added in the map, only the Person Event that exists originally in the map is affected by applymovement.
So, I am wondering if I should add some specific values to these Persons Events?!?!
I find it weird tough since I was able to applymovement on some other Person Events that was added by me in a different map.

P.S.: I am using Advance Map 1.0.9 - It's a Fire Red rom v1.0
P.S. #2: In a different map (a "house" map) I created other Person Events (the same way!! only different thing is Person ID's) and applied to them applymovement throught a "trigger" Script and everything worked fine with them... I don't know why it won't work in the city's map. :(
P.S. #3: I tried different values for the concerned Person Events' Talking level, Movement and Movement type with no avail. :(
P.S. #4: Help! xD
You need to do applymovement 0x[Hex value of person id] @move
So if the person ID was 10, then you do applymovement 0xA rather than applymovement 0x10. That is only if you're using the 0x prefix.

People whom I thank:
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:13 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

OMG! Why didn't I think about it... >.<
Thanks man! I'm going to try it right away, for sure it will work, thank you!! :]
Old February 21st, 2013, 01:50 PM
SporreKing
Unhatched Egg

Hey! I recently repointed the "OW-Sprite-pointer-table" using Hex Workshop to get more OWSprites. As default in A-map there's only 150 sprites, and as default in OWE-RE there's 153 OWSprites?! When I repoint the sprite-tabel, add a new sprite and then go to A-map my new OWSprite shows up as no. 151 as it should, but in OWE-RE I still only have 153 sprites and can't go any further. I think it's because OWE-RE only checks the spritetable at 0x0039FDB0 and not the actuall pointer, just a theory though. Another notice I've made's that the sprites in OWE-RE seems to have another order than the one's in A-Map btw... The last sprite in A-Map is a deoxys and the last one in OWE-RE is a messed up boat.

My question is, how comes there's only 150 sprites in A-Map but 153 in OWE-RE?

And why can't i see my new added sprite in OWE-RE but in A-Map?

Btw, I'm using FireRed if it matters...

Last edited by SporreKing; February 21st, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:19 PM
karatekid552

Quote:
Hey! I recently repointed the "OW-Sprite-pointer-table" using Hex Workshop to get more OWSprites. As default in A-map there's only 150 sprites, and as default in OWE-RE there's 153 OWSprites?! When I repoint the sprite-tabel, add a new sprite and then go to A-map my new OWSprite shows up as no. 151 as it should, but in OWE-RE I still only have 153 sprites and can't go any further. I think it's because OWE-RE only checks the spritetable at 0x0039FDB0 and not the actuall pointer, just a theory though. Another notice I've made's that the sprites in OWE-RE seems to have another order than the one's in A-Map btw... The last sprite in A-Map is a deoxys and the last one in OWE-RE is a messed up boat.

My question is, how comes there's only 150 sprites in A-Map but 153 in OWE-RE?

And why can't i see my new added sprite in OWE-RE but in A-Map?

Btw, I'm using FireRed if it matters...
OWERE reads not from the pointer bank you repointed, but from the bank that the repointed bank points to. I know, it's confusing. So, to avoid this, go download NSE Classic (not 2.X, CLASSIC) Very similar interface, but it reads from the same bank as A-map and has many more features. It can edit any in game sprite like Unlz can, but better if you know how to use it, but its default is Overworlds.

By the way, this belongs in simple questions, not the script help thread:D.

Paired with Simba
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM
SporreKing
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
OWERE reads not from the pointer bank you repointed, but from the bank that the repointed bank points to. I know, it's confusing. So, to avoid this, go download NSE Classic (not 2.X, CLASSIC) Very similar interface, but it reads from the same bank as A-map and has many more features. It can edit any in game sprite like Unlz can, but better if you know how to use it, but its default is Overworlds.

By the way, this belongs in simple questions, not the script help thread:D.
Thx! I did search for other OWE's but didn't find any but now i have one! gonna try it out.
Why won't 2.X work btw?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links