The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime

Notices

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Balkoni
Unhatched Egg

Though I miss their everyday blast-off, it is far better that they do decent plans now... Even though they keep failing to get away (I shall keep rooting for them!)
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Altomare
Purupuru!

I liked the new team rocket more... they have actual plans and started chasing something other than some kid's pikachu.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:34 AM
Solacen
Unhatched Egg

I think TR has definitely gotten more successful in Unova although i think they might have gotten from one extreme to the other. They went from complete failures, that did nothing but provide comic relief and give reasons for some of Ash and co's pokemon to evolve(or trust them more) , to just plain evil (meowth by far with the way he tricked them for quite awhile just to betray them) and lacking in personality. How on earth did James go from oversensitive and loving of his pokemon to how he is in Unova? Did Giovanni have them mentally 'conditioned' after Sinnoh?

Personally i would rather see some mix of how they were in Sinnow / hoenn and Unova. Actually having their personalities back but suceeding sometimes by not always chasing pikachu.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Spoiler:
The producers have been taking note! It's back to zany dress ups, Meowth balloons and catching Pikachu! Of course, the producers were listening to Japan. Listening to the Westerners about a "serious" Team Rocket was a baaaaaaaaad idea.

I'm of the opinion that the issues most have with Team Rocket are to do with how they're dubbed. I mean, it's not like they didn't get the stupidest lines when TPCi took responsibility for the dubbing (sarcasm aside, they got worse, and so did their motto). And for a lot of viewers,

Could you imagine the present-day Jessie participating with heart in the Grand Festival like she did in Sinnoh, where she was so personable, and every other day a nutjob? Nope, they took her personality away and made her deep and serious. What about James and his bottlecaps? That man who prowls around being competent does not look like a man obsessed with cute things and bottle caps.

Meowth manages to take the show when he was "kicked out of Team Rocket" in Unova, though. His "competent" buds might have had their personalities sucked out of them, but look who clearly still had them - he was the target of gags throughout that entire arc - and then he was just plain again.

Honestly, some people seem to have just gotten sick of their antics, and now that they're out, what do we have? Nothing.

Spoiler:
Until Episode N.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Thomas Wiencek

Excuse, me. The title of this thread that you posted should never contain any foul languages at all, because it's inappropriate for kids. Won't you please read the rules that you should follow?
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:57 AM
thjenvuongxh
Unhatched Egg

Well...Mewtwo,Jessie,and James are serious now in Unova Region...
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
At the beginning of Unova, I was excited for Team Rocket's new arc. However, their darker more mysterious antics began to feel stale and there was just no real reason to feel or care for what they were up to. Even though I was glad, and still am, that their attempts at stealing Pikachu and blasting off [again] had been retired, I missed their personalities. The anime may be targeted at a younger audience, but I feel like the writers and producers could have done a whole lot more with Team Rocket to balance their darker tones with the characters we knew them to be. If they had done that, then I feel like their attempt at a newer Team Rocket could have had more success and not be left with mixed feelings.

Hearing that the old, goofy, fail-at-everything Team Rocket will be back in Episode N doesn't make me feel too content though. I may have felt like Team Rocket's evil schemes may have gotten stale, but I'm not really ready to go back to their old ways entirely. I'd just prefer more of a balance. I felt like the very first couple of episodes of the Original Kanto series had done that well from what I remember.
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Piks

The OS & BW series Team Rocket will always be the best.
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:44 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Team Rocket was at their best in Unova, IMO, since they took their job a lot more seriously compared to other regions.

Old January 16th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Starry Windy
Bring your melody to life
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I think Team Rocket is more serious and full of dedication to their boss when they're in Unova region. And IMO I currently prefer them to blasting off as they fly with jets professionally rather than blasting off awkwardly like in other regions, even though this time, that awkward blasting off returns again in Episode N.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr

Last edited by Starry Windy; January 17th, 2013 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Recently seeing Team Rocket blasting off again, old fashioned way. :)
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:00 PM
digimonqueen
Draco Malfoy's Girlfriend

Nature: Gentle
TOTALLY Unova. have u see the latest episodes!?!? they're planning to catch "Ash's" Meloetta! and Ash doesn't even know. i was seething with rage when i heard what they were planning to do to it. i mean, all it wants is to stay with Ash. i can't BELIEVE Team Rocket would go this far. i bet Ash is gonna lose it completely.

Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.”

"Harry--you're a great wizard, you know."
"I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let him go.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things--friendship and bravery and--oh Harry--be careful!"
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:58 PM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
i haven't seen much of unova but they seemed pretty cool, in their new black costumes and all. and giovanni was actually taking them seriously. in sinnoh meowth with his "fury swipes of love" were pretty cool. other then that, unova without a doubt.

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu

Last edited by roosterman; January 31st, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
Team Rocket's change was certainly nice since their regular routine was getting a bit stale, but I much prefer them when they're not doing anything Team Rocket-based at all like selling stuff or entering Contests. They're not bad people at heart.
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:45 AM
NiallC

I think their introduction in Kanto was great, the way it was thundering and lightning made it all seem scarier to have them there but then when they would start attacking in every episode they lost their threatening status which is what I liked in Unova how when they were shown it was always in dark, dingy tunnels or someplace at night. They brought back the fear and made them seem like real criminals, between important events that the group took part in it was TR's planning that would make me watch each episode to find out more which is something I've not felt with Pokemon for a long time. I think that the use of more rivals has certainly lessened the pressure on TR to be comedic so they could become dangerous again whilst Stephan and Bianca were providing the comedy. In every other region Ash has only ever had one major rival so TR were needed to be funny almost every episode.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
Dragooncroft
Tomb Raider

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via ICQ to Dragooncroft Send a message via AIM to Dragooncroft
Poor Jessie, James, and Meowth! I always thought their purpose was to add humor in their constant failing attempts to steal Pikachu. To be honest, that's how I feel it should be. I always thought, though, wouldn't it be nice for them to win just once? I mean, not stealing Pikachu, but catching an epic Pokemon for their "boss". Poor team rocket (again):D

UPDATES:
Hatched a new Skarmory w/ Drill Peck
Haunter and Kadabra evolved into Gengar and Alakazam
Raised a Level 55 Poliwrath with a Mind-Reader/Fissure combo
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
I feel like Team Rocket is there for irony since Pikachu really isn't that exceptional at all.

But yeah, they were way cooler in Kanto and Johto.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
StinkomanFan
Intern of the Pokemon world

Nature: Quirky
Ah Team Rocket. Jesse, James, and Meowth were the true heroes of Pokemon, constantly going up against impossible odds for acceptance from their peers. Way back when Team Rocket were THE reason to watch Pokemon, they were the ones who had character development and learned lessons. Yet, after everything they go through you just WANT to see them win. The fact those three continued to be so influential where other villains came and went should show you how well the Underdog status goes for on both sides of good and evil.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Dragooncroft
Tomb Raider

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via ICQ to Dragooncroft Send a message via AIM to Dragooncroft
Well, to be honest, they were the reason he won many of his badges in Kanto. It's because they kept causing problems, and in pursuit of helping defeat them and "saving the gym", he earns the badge.

UPDATES:
Hatched a new Skarmory w/ Drill Peck
Haunter and Kadabra evolved into Gengar and Alakazam
Raised a Level 55 Poliwrath with a Mind-Reader/Fissure combo
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:15 AM
WishCookie
ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!

Nature: Jolly
Well, I'm kind off happy that they're actually able to almost get their plans right but I still wish that they all for once are actually being able to catch Pikachu and get away with it for like 1-3 episodes. I would like to see what happens and what Team Rocket actually would do with Pikachu but I still miss the old Team Rocket from Kanto - Hoenn. In other words, I want them to win for once, I'm just getting a bit annoyed by Ashe and that he always wins, even if he is one of the main characters.

Diamond: 3782 4821 8857
HeartGold: 3740 9024 2026
Black: 3181 8256 6904
Black 2: 4599 8904 2318

Y: 1993 8202 9620
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:10 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
The new Team Rocket has more definition. They're more stylish, planning and secretive. They're more like agents of an evil company than the usual bad guys. In fact, they ruin their own definition of fun. So because of nostalgia, and because the old Team Rocket motto was way more epic, I'll vote Kanto.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:10 PM
LHT
Time Devourer

I liked the dark Team Rocket in the beginning, but I prefer more of a balance between the comic side and the dark side of them, like in the beginning of Kanto for example.
I seriously hate that they are coming back to their comic side though.

My fakemons > http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297538
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Stevemagegod

I think TR was more bad ass in the Johto Region.
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Anna
Mad Queen
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I think they've found the right level of badass for the TRio in Episode N. They're getting back to their old selves, but they're actually a decent threat to Satoshi-tachi. I mean we all know Satoshi's going to win, right, and the TRio might get blasted off- but maybe not! who knows! And it's still a struggle for Satoshi-tachi to come out victorious! And their plans are new and improved and different! I'm really enjoying their current approach. And hopefully we'll get more TRio side-plots as things go on. :D They must be doing other things besides follow Satoshi around. Other interesting things, even. And being competent and establishing Rocket control in Isshu and getting in Plasma's way and actually I'm really hoping they get to do even more cool things as Episode N goes on.

Er, so, yeah. The TRio are at a very good stage of badass right now. I hope it will be expanded upon.

- Aquacorde Themes -

- Aqua/Magma Fanclub -

- RT/AH Fanclub -

- RWBY Fanclub -

- Watch-Along Club -

- Pairs - Family - Lovelies -

- Theme - Av Art - Sig Gif -

The Choice Is Made
The Task Is Set
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:15 AM
The_Consumer

I like the trio from Team Rocket in Mewtwo Strikes Back, especially during the Viking part xD

I haven't watched the Unova season so I have no idea about that part

The trio is more amusing than anything though Not sure about Team Rocket itself. Probably the most brutal during Kanto episodes...
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Alakazam17
I'm Too Nice. Deal With It.

Nature: Quirky
I love that Team Rocket is not in every episode anymore. That bit annoyed me to no end during the first decade or so of episodes. I enjoy the anime so much more because less of it is filled with "Rocket Filler." And when Jesse, James, and Meowth do appear, their roles are much more part of the story.

The only criticism I have is that it happened so suddenly. They went from whimsical "we're blasting off again!" villains to the darker style that they seem to have now, in just one episode. xD

Sponsored Links