The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:58 PM
lifeburst
ROAR OF TIME

Nature: Timid
idk if anyone's posted this but some ones I've seen 'round(not here on this website)
-Scramble Challenge. Someone has to suggest the pokemon you use, movesets, conditions of use(like a Roselia that can only use non-direct moves like Toxic would be a fine suggestion), each "suggester" can only suggest up to two Pokemon per challenge
-Unevolved challenge.You cannot evolve your pokemon, pokemon that don't evolve are allowed, like ditto or something, and if you caught a Flaaffy or Marrill then you can keep it, just not evolve it.
=D
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

We've had Scramble (I think it's still active?) and we've had NFEs and various forms of it (Christian Challenge, Middle Evolutions Challenge). I think we even have a thread that combines Scramble and Random, if I'm not mistaken.

Fouetté | Rygarde | Déesse | Parfum | Pamplemousse
pairs | super mod of challenges | avatar by kaori

alli: i don't feel like being the big bad bottle of orange juice today
Necrum: Is that a reference to your Smod color? lol
alli: yes
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:01 AM
11wildy
Me!

Nature: Lonely
Alright, I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I'm doing so anyway :3. I'm making a Pokemon Crystal hack, and it would be cool if I could have some of the people here as trainers in it, so if anybody is interested, you can PM/VM me some of your favorites and I'll see if I can fit them in . If it's a monotype team, you might be a gym trainer even ;D.

I don't know what you guys think but meh, I figured I could just ask, worst case scenario is nobody wanting to help x].

And I finally went on with my Flying mono on Black 2! Whoooo :D. After that hell of an Elesa, which was walled by Sigilyph ;3. Light Screen + Hypnosis was cool!
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Orianna
♡So strange, they scream.♡

I was about to start yet another challenge I've been thinking of, but seeing how my Eeveelutions Challenge didn't appeal much, I'm quite reluctant about it ._. Guess people don't like the Eevee Family much or they simply don't like the D/P/Pt games x.x
Oh well, I'll think about it >.<

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:
Midori Kuramoto in Hoenn Diaries

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

The thing with challenges that are only for certain games is that it makes it more restrictive, so making it only for DPPt wasn't much of a good move. It deters me personally because I hate DP and I have an ongoing playthrough of Platinum that I don't want to restart. Now, Eeveelutions are available in all gens, through actually getting one, hacking it in, or trading it in, so there really wasn't a need to make it DPPt only. You might get more challengers if it wasn't all for DPPt. Cause there honestly, imo, wasn't a reason to make it just for that game.

Not only that, but using one family is also a bit restrictive. It's different with, say, Gender Discrimination. You're limited in the Pokemon you can choose, and they have to be your gender, but at least they're not all from the same line. Plus, I think that some people do regular playthroughs with just Eeveelutions. I did that long ago, lol.

But yeah, perhaps opening it up to all games would help. If you want me to remove the DPPt prefix, just let me know. Wow this post is longer than it should be. ~_~

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
11wildy
Me!

But all the Eeveelutions are of a different type, thus I can't monotype it . Agreed on the restriction of only one family line, I like choosing from a bit more diverse ppol of available Pokemon.
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Rewy
untitled follower

I was about to join earlier to the Eeveelutions challenge, but then I cringed at the thought of Sinnoh. It's one of my least favorite places to go through in game.
( + I have a self-imposed challenge of using a pokemon team that my bf has chosen there... Bronzong why are you so slow? )

Using at least one of the Eeveelutions is rather normal in a playthrough, since in most games (excluding Hoenn, DP and BW) you can get it rather early. So you end up either boxing it or using it. I can't count the times I've now used Vaporeon, Jolteon and Leafeon. The number is just too big to bother. So it just grows to dull out the interest.

Not to mention when you go back to 4th gen games and look at the level up moves...
Vaporeon
- BW2 - Hydro Pump - level 45
- 4th gen - Hydro Pump - level 71

Espeon (I have some serious dislike to this one actually)
- BW2 - Psychic - level 37
- 4th gen - Psychic - level 64

Umbreon
- BW2 - Moonlight - level 33
- 4th gen - Moonlight - level 71

Completely other topic side note: I need a Conquest type image of Altaria. ;__; Otherwise I can't update my sig

★shiny Litleo - found on Route 22 ( can trade and rename )
★shiny Gulpin - found on Route 5 (horde) (can trade and rename )
★shiny Wingull - found on Route 8 (horde) (named Peeko-chan in katakana)
★shiny Furfrou - hunting ~2100+/??? eggs so far (masuda method)
I have not beaten even 2nd gym yet, so no Shiny Charm...
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Orianna

Then I guess I can open it up to all Gens? o.o I really don't mind at all, I just thought of it while doing my Sinnoh Location Challenge o.o Imma change the introduction and all and you can remove the D/P/Pt prefix then, Sydian o.o I don't mind at all and I really appreciate the feedback *o*

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Sage Ghetsis
Necrum Warrior

Nature: Adamant
I personally believe that eeveelutions are the only family that works for its own challenge. A lot of people adore that family and there was even a vgc tourney centered around them. Definitely needs to be all games though. I think it would be cool to do Kanto with all base eeveelutions, but i have no way to trade or hack in kanto
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Orianna

Well, I changed the first post to suit all games. Just waiting for Sydian to remove the D/P/Pt tag from the title. It's true though that it might be harder for some people to trade/hack in Eevee though >.<
I'm using emulators so I can do that.
Spoiler:
I used to have Pokémon Yellow for my Gameboy Color when I was a kid. But then I grew up and passed it on to my cousins. They broke the Gameboy and lost the cartdrige T-T
I plan on buying all the games & stuff but I can't right now due to not having a job & stuff x.x So I'm basically a full time student :V

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:

Old February 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM
11wildy
Me!

I have never owned one of the first gen games, I started with Crystal.. That's probably why I love it so much! It's a great game to start on, since it has both an easy and difficult way to play it .
Old February 20th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Orianna

I fell in love with HG/SS because of the first Pokémon in your party following you around. It brought back sweet memories from my Pokémon Yellow Days xD

Oh yeah o.o
The Eeveelutions Challenge is now officially available for all Gens o.o

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:

Old February 20th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Rewy
untitled follower

Yay! Looking good. =) I'll probably enter once I've freed up a game for it, since I prefer to play on hard copies.

Oh and you could add that to the BW2 the fact that you can catch Eevee in the wild there from the Castellia Gardens. The one from Amanita is after E4 (with the Dream World ability).

Old February 20th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Orianna

I never played B2/W2 so thanks for the tips @w@ Imma go update o.o
ok, corrected that mistake xD

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:

Last edited by Orianna; February 20th, 2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
Griffinbane
FEAR THE PILOSWINE

Nature: Lax
Necrum came up with an interesting idea the other day...monotyping Conquest. What counts as the end though? Just the first storyline? All stories completed? That's like 60 hours or something. I need to check my game. Not just that, some storylines are horribly restricted (namely the Ninja competition...dragon, poison and ghost. Bleh). Skip? Plus stuff stops linking/leveling, training takes forever... Hmmmmm. Ideas?

White: 1463 5558 5309
X: 2208 5685 5454
- - - -
Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

I've never played Conquest, so idk the end of it. But I do like the idea of monotyping it. Since I'm sure the rules would need some bending around to fit the game, I think having a separate thread for it would be fine (use my prefixes pretty please?!).

Rewy, I love your signature! :) Such a neat way to display and name your teams!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
BlueShellBeast
Rodent User

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
Oh yeah o.o
The Eeveelutions Challenge is now officially available for all Gens o.o
Sweet. I think that I'll enter it once I finish some of my other challenges... I never liked Gen 4 (besides HG/SS), and all of my Ultimate challenges hit a rock once I hit the Sinnoh region.
0/8 in the Red Low Level Challenge(Ultimate Challenge: JP Red -> JP Silver -> Emerald -> Diamond -> Black 2)
2/17 in the Heart Gold Gender Discrimination Challenge (Male)
2/8 in the Sapphire Yellow Monocolor Challenge (Ultimate Challenge: Blue-> Silver -> Sapphire ->Diamond -> Black 2)

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Orianna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Rewy, I love your signature! Such a neat way to display and name your teams!
I second that o.o I wish I had such talent when it comes to drawing & stuff xD
nicely done xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShellBeast View Post
Sweet. I think that I'll enter it once I finish some of my other challenges... I never liked Gen 4 (besides HG/SS), and all of my Ultimate challenges hit a rock once I hit the Sinnoh region.
And yay! more challengers are always welcome xD

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:33 AM
Jak
greatest of heroes

Well, Rewy didn't draw them, those are the Conquest pictures. XD Unless...Rewy...are you...an ARTIST?!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Rewy
untitled follower

Quote:
Rewy, I love your signature! Such a neat way to display and name your teams!
Quote:
Well, Rewy didn't draw them, those are the Conquest pictures. XD Unless...Rewy...are you...an ARTIST?!
Some people like to say that I am, though as a skeptical person I don't quite trust that judgement.
(Family and close friends are bad to use for grading your talent - because they're either 100% supportive or against it, whether you're good at all or not.)

But yeah - I suppose I can make art, but not sprites or completely digital things. I prefer to draw by pencil rather than on my tablet.
(Sprite recoloring doesn't count since that's just switching pixel palettes. As you can see from the gyarados.)

I do have a Weasyl and deviantArt account, but I don't go around shoving it to everyone's faces.

Last edited by Rewy; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Orianna

I knew it! xD

Well, I think you're talented
Oh and I got a new challenge in store @w@ working on it now @w@
Decided my SoulSilver could use some shaking xD so I thought I'd share the challenge with everybody o.o
Oh and don't worry, it's gonna be for all gens such challenge can be done in "

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Hm guys I've been wondering... how does one make a successful challenge? To be honest I'm feeling a little frustrated :/ just because I think both of my challenges are interesting ideas, but yet I'm pretty much the only one to ever post updates for them. Is it because they're too complex? It seems that people enjoy signing up for challenges that only limit the kind of pokemon you can use, by any factor. I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything, I'm just wondering.. what is it that makes a challenge attractive?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Jak
greatest of heroes

Good question. I think making it available to all games is one way to make a challenge successful, though that's not the one and only key. Not having overly complicated rules are another thing, and having an attractive and easy to read format helps. Being an active OP is also a plus, you can ask NecrumWarrior about that. The monotype challenge has been doing much better since he took control of it, and it shows. Having a new and interesting concept is good too, but sometimes the concept might be a bit too restrictive or strange for some. For example, my Favorite Challenge is only for gen V, but it's still pretty popular since you get to use your, well, favorites.

Challenges that are too similar to something else don't always seem to go over well either, but I really think the main key is to not make a challenge too overly complicated. It needs to be explained well and easy to follow and appeal to people (which, if you write and explain things well and are persuasive, you can easily get people to want to participate I think). Also, challenges that rely on other challengers don't go well either, so trade challenges, tourney-style (though we don't have any, and it's clear why), rivaling other members, etc don't go over well. Same with challenges that only allow the OP to assign Pokemon. That's too restrictive, plus we don't know if they'll stay or not, cause then who else is gonna assign things?

That's just from my observations anyway. :) I think this post has gotten a bit too long. XD

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Rewy
untitled follower

Having a challenge available for all games is always a plus, but what really ticks me off (probably due to my job) is having obnoxiously large font sizes or no proper layout at all on the opening post where you're supposed to explain the rules.
Also capslock makes it even more redundant. I know some people don't read the rules properly or just skim them over when they sign up, but having to scroll up and down when reading the rules is tedious.

How the opening post looks gives the impression of what type of a player the creator is also.
If it's hastily put together and uses multiple formatings along with no real "list" of rules, the challenge won't appeal.
Bulks of text are irritating to read through especially if you have to search for the numbers for rules.

side note: why do all wild shinies decide to die on me?!! D8 Last time it was a Shiny Oddish on my Emerald and I killed it with Scratch... Now a Shiny Rattata... that I killed with Leech Life that wasn't even a STAB... Whyyyyyyyyy......

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Orianna

I'm sorry about the shnies Rewy DX
I wouldn't know what that's like since I only ever ran into 1 wild shiny @w@ when I was doing my Bug Monotype on Emerald @w@ and it happened to be a Nincada and I caught it >u< I kinda just spammed pokeballs, out of fear I might faint it @w@

Paired With:
Sage Ghetsis

Challenges:
The Time Warp Challenge
The Location Challenge

RP:

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links