The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 23rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Wilhelm
Hail the Almighty Robot Policeman

Nature: Adamant
When I first joined the Challenges section, I started a challenge some of you may remember called the Slow Learner challenge. For all intents and purposes, it had the makings of a successful challenge. A unique concept that brought legitimate challenge to the game by forcing you to be unable to delete any move once they were learned. While it did have an okay run, it never really picked up the steam I expected it too. And I even found myself quitting the challenge, as it really wasn't my type of challenge. The Vault Hunter's challenge is my second challenge to date, and is mostly kept afloat by me and TwilightBlade. I can only attribute this to the fact that less people in challenges are really fans of the Borderlands series that I based the challenge on. It was also fairly complicated, though I would say not overly so, and required a bit of research in order to build a team. Ultimately, simplicity seems to be the key to a successful thread concept wise. Rules tend to need a bit of intricacy in order to prevent people from exploiting loop holes, something I learned while in charge of the Monotype challenge.

Ultimately, there's really no knowing just what is gonna make a successful challenge. Unless you are running one of the big four (Monotype, Solo, Random, Nuzlocke) there is really no way to guarantee success. All you need is a little luck.

Old February 24th, 2013, 12:48 AM
jdthebud
Monotype Master
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecrumWarrior View Post
Ultimately, there's really no knowing just what is gonna make a successful challenge. Unless you are running one of the big four (Monotype, Solo, Random, Nuzlocke) there is really no way to guarantee success. All you need is a little luck.
Having a handful of committed challengers like I have in the Monocolor Challenge, which has a very similar setup to the monotype challenge, also helps, the Monocolor was even voted the best challenge of 2012 here! shamelessly toots own horn

FireRed - HeartGold - Emerald - Platinum - Black 2

Completed Ultimate Challenges (through Gen V):
Ultimate Monotype:

Ultimate Monocolor:

Fireheart: L88, L88, L71, L76, L100; Palin: L98, L92, L86, L100, L100
Excalibur: L75, L88, L87, L84, L100; Nagini: L100, L96, L100, L100, L100
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Ryker
Unhatched Egg

If a challenge has been non-active for nearly a month, are you allowed to make an V2 of that certain challenge??

~R~
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Wilhelm

Far as I can tell, yes, but it's over a month, not almost.

Old February 24th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Sydian

Nature: Timid
Challenges go inactive after two months, not one. So if you want to participate, you can post in it as long as the last post isn't two months old. If the thread owner is inactive, you can talk to them about taking over the challenge. If they don't reply within about three days, then you can have it.

Magma Admin Courtney wants to battle!
Mega Camerupt (Lv. 50) - Sheer Force - (Earthquake, Eruption)
Houndoom (Lv. 47) - Early Bird - (Flamethrower, Dark Pulse)
November 21, 2014 / Staff Collab 2014
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
Thank you guys for the feedback, it was really helpful! :D

Also, I was thinking about that idea someone had for a monotype challenge for Conquest.I'm just playing through it now, and I'd think monotyping to get through the main game or whatever would be enough - it wouldn't be a very long challenge, but that's not a big deal. Also I thought... why couldn't other challenges be formatted for conquest? there could easily be an NFE challenge, a Nuzlocke challenge (you can only link with one pokemon in a kingdom, if the pokemon you're controlling faints then you can't use that warrior/warlord - Oichi or the Hero/Heroine fainting equals game over etc) and so on.

I personally think it'd be cool if we just had an "Ultimate Conquest Challenge" thread, where there are several different ones, and the ultimate version would be you do all of them.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Sydian

Don't know a thing about (insert Adele performance at the Oscars ignoring this thread now) Conquest but I would be fine with one thread for all Conquest challenges. If it gets too hectic to run them all in one thread, we could lock it and split them all up into separate threads.

Old February 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
ZombieMyrrh back from the dead and whatnot.

I like Golurk's idea. Need to do Conquest for the P3 Challenge and I just feel like playing it a bunch. As for one thread for all the conquest challenges, we should either do that or just add Conquest to all of the challenges that we have now (monotype, nuzzy, etc.) upon request.
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Honeyman

So guys. I need help coming up with March's monthly challenge for my subreddit. I'm on a blank at the moment. Maybe you get drunk, and choose six Pokemon under the influence, and use that team?

That is a horrible idea.

Supporter of crappy banners
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Wilhelm

So, I got run off the first page of blogs by everyone freaking out about the new green names. So I still need two more party members for what I call Community Run. It's very similar in style to HoF, but only one team is chosen. I was gonna try to let it happen naturally, but now I think I need y'all's help.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...1&postcount=63

Old February 25th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Sydian

Quote:
So guys. I need help coming up with March's monthly challenge for my subreddit. I'm on a blank at the moment. Maybe you get drunk, and choose six Pokemon under the influence, and use that team?
Although we won't be having it this March, we had a St. Patrick's Day event in 2011, the first challenge event actually, so you could use it. Link to it in the FAQ. If you don't like that idea, you could make an Easter challenge that involves using random eggs.

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

hey, Sydian, mind if I take over the Randomized Nuzlocke? o.o

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Sydian

Someone already contacted me about it last night and submitted the thread, sorry. ;(

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

eh it's fine then "
the good stuff usually happens when it's night time over here anyways xD

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Sydian

All the crap happens when I'm asleep sadly. :| UGH!

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:14 AM
11wildy
Me!

I know the feel. And Syddy, why u never on the chat thingy . Btw, I played a ground monotype on Red, second time ever playing Red, first time playing it without insanely boosting through :3. So many WTF moments O_O.
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Sydian

I'm in there now...? lol I'm usually on every night (my time anyway) so if you're trying to catch me there in the middle of the day, I'm probably in classes. :P

Old February 27th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Honeyman

Is figured to go somewhat along the same route as Love in the Clouds, meaning that all six Pokemon will be have a different set of rules to them.

Green: Must use a green Pokemon. It has to win 2 X contests (Never used smart. If you're drunk, you tend not to be all that smart)

Shamrock: A multi-headed Pokemon. Needs another rule.

Lucky: Luck based moveset (Less than 100 accuracy moves, multi-hit moves, Metronome)

Saint: Requires at least one healing move. Can't evolve.

Alcoholic: All vitamins/drink based healing items goes towards this guy.

Leprechaun: Short. Has to be the last one caught. Once caught, must be holding nugget at all times.

Old February 27th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Sydian

Hey, I really like that! Very nice. :) For the Shamrock, you could add that it needs to know a multi-hit move, I suppose. I know that's included for the Lucky Pokemon, but I think it'd fit with a Pokemon that has multiple heads. There are multiple head Pokemon available in all games though, right? I keep thinking DP doesn't have one, but I could be wrong.

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Honeyman

How about instead of just more than one head, its more of the appendages than the norm. Like Ambipom has two tails, and Machamp has four arms. Provides more variety in the Pokemon you can use. Though that extra rule to it is not all that easy to figure out...

Old February 27th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Rewy
untitled follower

You could elaborate that rule specifically, like Syd did to the Duo thing on the valentine's challenge. =)

Wonder Wedlocke X - Mudkip + Slowpoke | Flaffy + Flabébé | Zorua + Gible
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:35 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
This is my kind of thread title.

Personal Challenge: Project Perfect Pokemon update!
Well, I finally caught back up to where I should have been a week ago if my game didn't delete itself 16 pokemon away from getting the Johto starters in Emerald. Got them all now. In Sapphire, I now have all but 35 families of Pokemon. Here's the breakdown of locations for me to catch them:

Emerald: 2-5/7 to catch.
Spoiler:
Sudowoodo and Smeargle caught around Battle Frontier. Those are the only ones I can catch without cheats. Lugia and Ho-oh can be caught on Navel Rock, and Deoxys can be caught on Birth Island when I hack in the tickets/warps to the locations. Celebi and Jirachi are actually unobtainable, and so I'm going to need to just hack them into the wild and catch them (which will be the last thing I do in the games).

LeafGreen: 1-14/15 to catch.
Spoiler:
Magmar is the only one that I still HAVE to catch in LG, so I'll include all the ones that I can get in either FR or LG. Togepi is only obtainable if I have a max happiness Pokemon, which I surprisingly don't yet. Suicune will be found roaming Kanto since I started with Charmander. I surprisingly don't have a Spearow/Fearow yet. Chansey, Kangaskhan, and Tauros are in the Safari Zone. Mr. Mime and Jynx are trades that I have yet to bother doing. There is still one sleeping Snorlax in my LG. I haven't started catching any of the three legendary birds or Mewtwo, which puts me at 14 families. I'll include Mew (Faraway Island) here too, which takes hacking to get to his location.

FireRed: 13 left to catch on 2 files.
Spoiler:
Which just leaves FireRed, which I haven't started playing yet. I still need both Bulbasaur and Squirtle, and therefore Entei and Raikou, respectively. Arbok, Growlithe, Cloyster, Murkrow, Quilfish, Delibird, and Electabuzz will be found throughout the game. I'll get a Scyther from the Game Corner, to make my life a little easier. Which just leaves a Kabuto for me to grab in Mt. Moon!

After that (I can probably do both Emerald and LeafGreen in one stream, FireRed will take 3 or 4) I'll just need to do some evolving and breeding, and I'll have the National Pokedex completed on an additional 3 games! Other than that, I just need to beat the battle tower in Sapphire, the battle frontier in Emerald (no laughing matter) and master rank contests in both of them (I've already gotten started with Sapphire) and I'll be 100% done with 3 more games!

My goal is to have 8 out of 25 of the games (Blue, Silver, Stadium, Stadium2, Trading Card Game, Sapphire, Emerald, and LeafGreen) completely beaten before summer break. Right now, technically I only have one of those done (Blue), but I'm pretty close on a most of them (all of them but Silver and Stadium2). This summer I'll get a capture card (or before, at this rate I'll be done in like another month lol), and a friend and I are going to power through Pokemon Rumble to perfection. When he's not here I can also hit up some Colosseum (and XD because I have money and can go buy it, jobs are great). After that, I'll be rapidly approaching the hellish halfway point of my challenge, where all the games I have left are near impossible to perfect (Trozei, Pinball, Mystery Dungeon series, Ranger series, etc.)

Hope this wasn't tl;dr for you guys, I feel like I typed for an hour lol. What do you guys think?
Old March 1st, 2013, 11:29 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I would imagine if we did challenges drunk, we'd get over-emotional in Nuzlockes.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:43 AM
Honeyman

I just posted the March challenge onto the subreddit. You can find it here.

Last edited by Honeyman; March 2nd, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:36 AM
11wildy
Me!

Myrrh, I read all the way through it, you're doing awesome! And honeyman, then link isn't working for me
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links