The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Scripts & Tutorials

Notices

Scripts & Tutorials This forum is for scripts and code, as well as all kinds of tutorials, software, tools and so forth. Remember to give credit!
The thread revival limit does not apply here.

Old February 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
aegisrox

Intro:

Markz MMO Kit is an attemp to make a Pokemon MMO With online features. Right now the engine is still on beta, but is totally playable and is a very promising project. Thank you very much to Poccil,Flameguru,Maruno for his started kit with sprites, pokemon, attacks, etc.

Storyline:

Same as Pokemon Essentials

Features:

• Multi player game at same time
  • Savegame in a remote database online
  • Chat system and command system
  • Administrative tools for GameMasters
  • Debug mode only for GameMasters
  • Auto update system
  • Much more

To do:

Trade system - Markz is working on that right now
PvP System

Screenshots:

Videos:

Coming soon

Keys:

ESC - Back/Pause Menu
ENTER - Choose/Interaction/Confirm
F5 - Use registered item
F6 - Show/Hide Chat
F7 - Activate/Deactivate Chat
SHIFT - Run

commands:

see available commands: /help
add friend: /baddname
remove friend: /bremove name
Show friend list: /bshow
Create guild: /gcreate Name Password
Eliminar guild: /gdisband
Invite to a guild: /ginvite Name
Exit from a guild: /gleave
Guild information: /ginfo
Send PM: /pmsend Name message
Send PM to all friends: /pmall Name Message

Team:

Markz88
Aegisrox

Download:

http://pokemmokit.altervista.org

Setting up Tutorial

1) Intro
Spoiler:
First of all, English is not my main language, so there may be some errors in this guide. Sorry for this.

Also this guide is based on a Windows server. I can’t and will not help with a linux server.
In this guide I made the server on windows vista (the hardest one) personal I suggest to build it
on one that runs Windows XP or windows 7 (but all 3 windows should work roughly the same).

2) Before starting up:
Spoiler:
Before you start you need to know how a MMO (Massive Multiplayer online) works and
what comes in to run it.
- First of all, MMO's normally run on a server, that’s a PC that’s on 24h a day and is always
connected to the internet with a big bandwidth. Without it you can’t run your MMO.
- Second, if you can’t run this for yourself (AKA an extra pc in your home on-line for 24h a day) than
you need an online server.

3) What do I need?
Spoiler:
If your reading this than I guess that you already looked into the manual that’s included in blizzard
his awesome RMX-OS. If not I suggest to read it before starting. otherwise continue reading

Before we start lest first see what you need:

4) Let’s get started:
Spoiler:
4.1)Installing Ruby
First of all install the Ruby 1.8.6 somewhere on your server. This should be a straight forward job
and if you fail you can stop right here and cry in a corner. When you installed it, Extract the
Ruby 1.9.1 package to the 1.8.6 install path and replace the needed files.
Congratulations, you just installed Ruby 1.9.1.

4.2) Installing the RMX-OS server

Simply unzip the server folder where you want

4.3) Installing MySQL Database
Next we can get on with installing the MySQL Database. You need this because this is where all
the data of the players get saved, its the new save system of your game. This is also where most
people get stuck. MySQL has some nasty stuff in store. First of all you need to make sure your
logged in into the administrator account of your PC (in XP this is every account).
when your in the Administrator go ahead and install MySQL. this should be straight forward job.
until you get to a screen like below:

make sure you have "Configure the Mysql Server now" on
and the "Register the MySQL Server now" off like the screen above. and press finish.
the Configuration will pop up like below:

Press next and the next screen will appear.

make sure that you have the "Detailed Confuguration" on like the above screen and press next
you will get the following screen

Here you see 3 options. now its the time to think ahead. if the PC your installing the MySQL on
is going to run other applications than its suggested to use the top option (like in the screen shot).
If the PC is only going to run the MySQL than you can choose one of the other 2 options. If you made
your selection press next and it will change to the following screen:

For RMX-OS you need to select the "Multifunctional Databas". If you selected this press next

Next you get to choose where the database will be saved. personal I suggest somewhere you can
find it back easily. I installed mine into the Database folder of the "RMX-OS Server", but any
place will do. if done, press next

This screen you need to decide how many people will connect to your server at the same time.
Its kinda the server limit. For a starting server I suggest to have around 20 peep and chose the
top option "Decision Support (DSS)/OLAP". If you want to have more people than chose the lower
option "Manual Setting" and fill in the right amount of people. Remember that the more people are
connecting to your server the more bandwidth it will take.

In the next screen make sure that "Enable TCP/IP Networking" is turned on or else the whole server
might crash. for simple keep the port that is put up (3306). Also if your not a star in Firewalls make
sure that "add firewall exception for this port" is turned on.
Also make sure that "Enable Strict Mode" is on. than press next.

next up is setting up the Default Characters.
just enable "Best Support for Multilingualism" and everything should work fine. Press next

This screen is to set up the Windows Service. put both "Install As Windows Service" and
"Include Bin Directory in Windows PATH" on
also make sure that Service Name: is set to MySQL.
to automatic start up the database when windows start enable "Launch the MySQL Server automatically"
This is Recommended because lots of stuff can go wrong starting it manual every time.
Press next when ready

The next 1 is important. this is where you set up the Root password. YOU NEED THIS PASS LATER so write it down.
Make sure that "Modify Security Settings" is on and fill in a password.
Do NOT turn "Enable root access from remote Machines" and "Create An Anonymous Account"
when you filled in the pass press on next

Now is the moment of truth and to see if you followed the tutorial.
if everything is correct than the Database will be set up as soon as you press Execute.
Press Execute and see what happens.

If everything is done correctly you will see 4 blue V in the circles.
if the wizard is stopped at "Start Service" or a error popped up look into the FAQ 1.1
Otherwise, Congratulations. you just successfully created the hardest thing of RMX-OS

5) Managing the MySQL database

Spoiler:
5.1) Install navicat

Its very simple, no problem here

5.2) Create connection

After installing, open navicat and Go to File > New connections > Mysql...

Then a windows pops up, and you need to complete with the information that you filled in the instalation of Mysql

1. *In connection name: Put the name you want, recommended "test
  2. *In hostname / ipadress: Put the ip where the database are located, by default "127.0.0.1" or "localhost"
  3. *In port: Put the default port 3306
  4. *In username and password: Put the user and password that you filled in the installation of mysql by default "root" and password in blank

This is important: Before click "OK", press the button "Test Connection", if

5.3) Create the database

Go to the window division "Connections" > Secondary click on the connection that you just created ("test") > Select "New Database"

Then a new windows pops up, and you need to complete with the database name, the name of the database need to be "rmxosdb"

For last, click "OK"

5.4) Importing database

Right now you have your rmxosdb database created, the secondary click on it, a select "EXECUTE SQL File..."

A new windows pops up, then you need to select the location of the sql file where the database are located

Click on the "..." button, Go to the server folder you unzipped in the point 4.2, then go to the folder "Database" and select the file "RMX-OS SQL Database.sql",

Finally click on "START"

If everything is Okay, do double click on the Rmxosdb database, and you will see all the tables that were created.

6) Config RMX-OS
Spoiler:

6.1) Go to the server folder that you unzipped in the point 4.2 and open the file "cfg.ini":
Edit this file in the following lines:

SQL_HOSTNAME = 'localhost'
SQL_USERNAME = 'your MySQL username' - by default "root"
SQL_PASSWORD = 'your MySQL password' - by default in blank
SQL_DATABASE = 'your database name' - needs to be "rmxosdb"

6.2) Run the file "start server.bat"

7) Extra point: Other users connect in your server

Spoiler:
In order to another player connect in your server you will need to edit 2 things:

a. In the server folder: Edit the file "cfg.ini" and in the line "HOST = '127.0.0.1'" put the IP of your machine, in order to know it go to http://www.ipchicken.com/

b. In the client folder: Edit the file "Game.rxproj", select the Script Editor tool, then go to the script "(RMX-OS) Options", and in the line "SERVERS.push(['Tepig', '127.0.0.1', 54269])" Replace the ip 127.0.0.1 with the ip of your machine that you obtain in the point above.

8) For All question and bugs please go to: http://pokemmokit.altervista.org

9) Have fun!

Credits:

Poccil/Flameguru/Maruno - Pokemon Essentials Version 11
Gamefreak - for Pokemon Sprites and trademark
Jackolas for part of the tutorial
Blizzard for RMX-OS System

Last edited by aegisrox; February 17th, 2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:40 PM
oxysoft

Interesting, I did not even know you could have online capabilities with RPG maker
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM
LexTheGreat
Unhatched Egg

Really nice I've been experimenting with this. Any downsides? seams like everything but player data is client side?..

Edit:
"Auto update system"
I didn't see this in the code.. how does it work?
Old February 16th, 2013, 10:20 PM
aegisrox

Hi! Glat you liked! I fact the database system is very secure, so there are no problem with data loses.

The only that is client side is the "username and password", in a file that it can be deleted, but the real data is stored in the database.

The auto update is a extension called versioning! It will be posted in the forum !http://pokemmokit.altervista.org/

Check for updates!

Regards
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Ayutac
Developer who wants your help

So lets see if I got this right: You created a Pokemon Starter Kit like Essentials, but not Essentials. It has online features unlike Essentials. But these online features are only für MMOs, not so much for basic networking, e.g. Two-Players or LAN-Parties. (To add this would be great.)
Is that right?

I would like to state some questions: Did you use Essentials in any way? If not, where did you got the sprites etc. from? In any case please add Credits clearly visible to the first post. I know from trying by myself that creating such a thing all by oneself is difficult, so I'm a little bit sceptical about you two doing everything starting from ripping tiles of ROM hacks or similar.

So, if this is not compatible with Pokemon Essentials (e.g. because you have a completely different Ruby-Script in the background), I would encourage you to change this because it would suck if people would have to completely change their games or build them up from scratch to add online features. In case it isn't compatible/something complete new I would respect the hard work even more but on the other side I think – again – that it is not quite productive to develop independent engines with more or less the same functionality, because this will double possible bugs and divide support users can give to themselves, because it's likely to have them either using one or the other engine. Of course Essentials has the upper hand right now, but I just see the possibilities.

Some last notes: If you want to have people ask questions in your board please make at least the forum of this project visible to guests. I can't speak to others, but I usually lurk around a board for some time before I register so I will know what awaits me. Oh, and you have a typo in your thread title.
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:04 AM
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
Awesome man :D Great work waiting for more features :D

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:33 AM
p.claydon

this does use essentials version 11 but adds online support
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM
aegisrox

I edited the post with more visible credits! Tell me if you find another thing.

I will contact markz in order to repair the problem in the forum, meanwhile you can register using the "Tab key" instead of clicking, to fill the information to register.

Is you have little question, you can post here, but forum is more active, and are more chances to answer quickly.

My best regards

Aegis
Old February 17th, 2013, 03:32 PM
p.claydon

using this system would it be possible for a player to deposit one of there pokemon and/or item in a 'community' storage for someone else to pic up (would be bit like trading i guess)
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Markz88

Change log:
Code:
v1.1
Removed SAVE from Pause Menu
Added Mystery Gift support
DOWNLOAD
Visit the official forum
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Imags
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Does it work with RPG MAker VX Ace?
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:01 AM
martinx09
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayutac View Post
So lets see if I got this right: You created a Pokemon Starter Kit like Essentials, but not Essentials. It has online features unlike Essentials. But these online features are only für MMOs, not so much for basic networking, e.g. Two-Players or LAN-Parties. (To add this would be great.)
Is that right?

I would like to state some questions: Did you use Essentials in any way? If not, where did you got the sprites etc. from? In any case please add Credits clearly visible to the first post. I know from trying by myself that creating such a thing all by oneself is difficult, so I'm a little bit sceptical about you two doing everything starting from ripping tiles of ROM hacks or similar.

So, if this is not compatible with Pokemon Essentials (e.g. because you have a completely different Ruby-Script in the background), I would encourage you to change this because it would suck if people would have to completely change their games or build them up from scratch to add online features. In case it isn't compatible/something complete new I would respect the hard work even more but on the other side I think – again – that it is not quite productive to develop independent engines with more or less the same functionality, because this will double possible bugs and divide support users can give to themselves, because it's likely to have them either using one or the other engine. Of course Essentials has the upper hand right now, but I just see the possibilities.

Some last notes: If you want to have people ask questions in your board please make at least the forum of this project visible to guests. I can't speak to others, but I usually lurk around a board for some time before I register so I will know what awaits me. Oh, and you have a typo in your thread title.
It is just Essentials with RMX-OS system.
You can make any RPGXP game online with RMX-OS system.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
partyghoul2000
Intermediate Game Designer

Nature: Calm
kind of curious about the status of this. is trading or battling others available yet?

Check out my Super Gothic Bros hack here.
My ripped pokemon music in MP3 format can be found here.
My custom battle animations and whatnot can be found here.
Credit is expected, if used.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:36 AM
Dradier234

Nature: Careful
This looks good! You must have some good scripters with you! This will certainly help anyone wanting to make a pokemon MMO.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Nyndyll
PD : O Creator

I can't seem to connect to my server. I constantly get an offline signal
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Elyssia

Nature: Gentle
Lovely project!
However, I do found one problem which I have no idea how to fix this. o.o
Sometimes whenever your game crashes too often (I think it happened after 3x crashes in a row), you'll somehow lose your entire save from the server... but the database records are still there :s
Unless I did something wrong that is...
I'll be looking forward to the next updates when you have the time for it Markz
And good luck with your studies though (if you ever have the time reading forum posts <3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyndyll
I can't seem to connect to my server. I constantly get an offline signal
Easy to fix, try changing the IP in your RMX-OS Server launcher from Localhost(127.0.0.1) to your Computer's Local IP. (that's actually how I managed to get passed this issue after having loads of problems with the RUBY versions, guess it's something Router related... really have no idea since I barely understand the entire RMX-OS script made by Blizzard)

Changing RMX-OS Config and Localizing your Local IP (I only know the Windows Vista/7 way since i've never experimented with Windows 8 before + it has been a very long time since i've last used Windows XP)
Go to Start > Configuration Panel > Network Center. In the middle you see the Category named 'View your active networks'. On the right side, click once on 'Local Area Connection'(blue coloured) and a Window should pop-up. After that click on Details button. Your local IP is listed in the name 'IPv4-address'. As example most uses the IP range "192.168.x.x", but not all router or modem devices uses this IP range but even in a complete different IP range. But isn't really important to know at this point...
After you've found your IPv4 Address, let's change it as well in your cfg.ini configuration. Change '127.0.0.1' in 'HOST' config to your Local IP address and you should be good to go. As example it should look like this: HOST = '192.168.x.x' (don't forget to replace the x letter to your IP Numbers)
Don't forget changing it in your RPG MAKER XP Script as well!

Also checking Firewall Settings wouldn't hurt either for both Router and Local/Server Computer <3
Wouldn't be the first time if a firewall blocks the connection entirely.

But I assume this issue is already fixed

(sorry if I broke a rule about reviving forum posts, wasn't my meaning to do so)

Last edited by Elyssia; May 14th, 2013 at 12:46 AM. Reason: A little notice that I only know Windows Vista/7's system
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyssia View Post
(sorry if I broke a rule about reviving forum posts, wasn't my meaning to do so)
You're fine, it hasn't been 2 months quite yet.

@OP, I absolutely love you for this and I hope you update us eventually with the trade system and PvP. So many things I could do with this...

Old May 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Tayuya of the Sound Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx09 View Post
It is just Essentials with RMX-OS system.
You can make any RPGXP game online with RMX-OS system.
The tutorial only seems to be how to set up RMX-OS with a Pokemon Essentials version that is already ready for online, I don't have any of those scripts like the chat position and etc in my Essentials. He wants to know if it's possible to convert a game that has a lot of things completed or is completed without having to remake the game in order to set up RMX-OS. In other words, you could you provide a tutorial on how to add this to an existing game.
Old August 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Qhauriq

love the project I will be experimenting with this
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:29 PM
frank_da_tank99

How long do you think until you finish trading and PVP?
Old September 21st, 2013, 12:12 AM
Markz88

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_da_tank99 View Post
How long do you think until you finish trading and PVP?
The trade is already available!
Go to the official site for latest news.
Old October 7th, 2013, 10:34 AM
khkramer

I took a look at this and it looks like this just uses the Pokemon Nox scripts released on Ragezone.
I don't mind you using this for a kit otherwise I wouldn't have released the files, but credit would be appreciated.

Check out the MMORPG I'm developing:

• Trading • PvP • Co-Op
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Starshinypichu ukeele

Help me?
i have problem after register and login
Proof error
Quote:
undefined method `species' for 7:Fixnum
PokemonUtilities:1123:in `pbPokemonIconFile'
HUD:73:in `createHud'
HUD:71:in `each'
HUD:71:in `createHud'
HUD:30:in `initialize_rmxos_later'
(MRMX-OS) Scenes:78:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:29:in `new'
Scene_Map:29:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:28:in `each'
Scene_Map:28:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:63:in `main_rmxos_later'
(RMX-OS) Script:3738:in `main'
(RMX-OS) Main:47
undefined method `species' for 7:Fixnum
PokemonUtilities:1123:in `pbPokemonIconFile'
HUD:73:in `createHud'
HUD:71:in `each'
HUD:71:in `createHud'
HUD:30:in `initialize_rmxos_later'
(MRMX-OS) Scenes:78:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:29:in `new'
Scene_Map:29:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:28:in `each'
Scene_Map:28:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:63:in `main_rmxos_later'
(RMX-OS) Script:3738:in `main'
(RMX-OS) Main:47
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:10 AM
dydd90

Nice job!!thank you for this, i will wait for more features
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:42 PM
PokémonSpecialFan

I have been trying to make this work for a few days and I can run the server perfectly, but with my external (router) ip on the RPG Maker XP configuration, it just appears as offline and I can't do a single thing. I have done everything you can imagine with my router's ports and I have tried No-IP and Hamachi. Please, do any of you have any idea of what I can do? If not, do you know any website I can host my server? Thanks in advance!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links