• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your Rivals

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were the first games to introduce two rivals, and they were the first to make them both unnameable. So who did you like better, May/Brandon or Wally? Who had the better design? Had better Pokémon? If you could have named them, what would you have chosen? If May/Brandon kept battling, what Pokémon do you think they would have had?

Discuss!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Wally! Wally was fun. I also liked the variety of Pokemon he had on his team, as well as most of his team consisting of some of my favorite Pokemon. May/Brenden were boring to me, and actually a pain. I like rivals that don't give off an annoying/boring vibe to me, and Wally never did!

Years
  • Age 23
  • No.
  • Seen May 1, 2014
Well, Wally has better pokemon , and May/Brendan had the better design.
To be honest I equally like them. Helps me train more, unlike some other random trainers.

Years
I actually felt that the rivals were the least important that they've ever been in R/S/E, which is a little disappointing because they all had decent stories behind them- May or Brandon Breandan Brenden Brendan being the Professor's kid, and Wally with his health and recovery. Wally obviously had the better Pokemon, but Brendan had to be my favorite out of all three (even if it's just because I have the same name as him).

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I agree with Brendino that the rivals were pretty insignificant in this game, which is weird since they were so important the last two games. However, I guess they were going for a change, and when you compare it to the games that came after it, RSE are really the only main series games that don't focus on a rival too heavily. And that's fine with me.

As for the rivals themselves, I was fine with Brendan's personality. He wasn't an ass, but still obviously wanted to prove himself against you, so I thought that was nice. They made May a bit too shy for my liking though. I liked Wally and as much as I want to consider him a rival, it's really difficult when you don't battle him but twice so I don't really feel a rivalry with him like I do Brendan and May. Wally feels more like a colleague, if anything. Though that word might be too strong for a relationship between 10 year olds haha.

I'm going to say I like Brendan as a rival (more so than May, since like I said, too shy imo), since he felt more like one than Wally did (however UGH they should have gotten their starter to the final evo!!) and I see Wally as more of a friend/colleague.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I personally liked May a lot. I thought she would've been a great rival if she didn't quit at Lilycove City. It's a shame her starter didn't reach its final stage. I especially loved it how in Emerald how she had a Torkoal after the first gym sometimes.

I liked Wally too, it would have been nice to see him more in the story.

Cosmotone8

silhouette of the past
Years
I personally liked May a lot. I thought she would've been a great rival if she didn't quit at Lilycove City. It's a shame her starter didn't reach its final stage. I especially loved it how in Emerald how she had a Torkoal after the first gym sometimes.

I liked Wally too, it would have been nice to see him more in the story.
Pretty much this. I like May a lot, but had I seen Wally a bit more I probably would've leaned towards him.

Back