The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Except Megnium can still be a decent physical sweeper with Sword Dance, Seed Bomb, Outrage, and Earthquake, outclassing Serperior's physical set.
I'd say it all really depends, and it's really conditional especially since Meganium and Serperior I'd say are two sides of the same coin: Serperior is faster, allowing it to get off Taunts at will, set up subs, or even set up light screens. The problem with Meganium is that I feel it's too slow to actually be useful, and plus Light screen and Reflect are the ONLY moves it actually has to defend itself. Going through the list of NU Pokemon, there's actually quite a lot that can hurt it. Sawsbuck, Gorebyss, CM Gardevoir, DD Fraxure, you name it. You can make that same argument for Serperior, except for two things: Again, it has Calm Mind, but not just that, it has Coil as well, meaning that depending on the set that you're using, Serperior can operate as a pretty bulky Pokemon even against the 'mons that it's weak to. For example:

Spoiler:
252+ Atk (custom) Megahorn vs. +2 32 HP / 0+ Def (custom): 114-136 (32.66 - 38.96%) -- 7.93% chance to 3HKO

Megahorn coming from Sawsbuck, aimed at +2 Coiled Serperior(you're not seriously stopping at +1 at NU, are you?), and it's just about walled -completely- Needless to say, anything +3 or above would take pitiful damage from Megahorn, really.

Spoiler:
252+ Atk (custom) Megahorn vs. +3 32 HP / 0+ Def (custom): 92-110 (26.36 - 31.51%) -- possible 4HKO

I don't want to go on and on about this because it's getting off-topic, but all of this is to say that Serperior is far from incompetent at what it does. It may not be the best at it, but it is certainly not the worst.

That being said though, going back to the original topic of CoroCoro, I'm pretty excited on what the issue is going to be next month. I'm hopefuly Sylveon's type is one of them, but hopefully we find out more, like the region, and heck even the map of the region, or maybe some cities, things like that. I'm not expecting anything super huge, but at least some substance, please. D:

March is still quite a ways away from October, but still...
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM
PrimalDialgasaur
Primal Sauropod

Nature: Adamant
I hope this month they release starter evolutions...pray to god that Fennekin is not Fire/Fighting...
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Even if it is Fire/Fighting, I imagine it's something people are just going to have to get used to, I suppose /shrugs. It may not be the best type combination in the world, but at least you have something better than Emboar, competitively speaking. :x /shot

Either way, It's doubtful that they would continue with Fire/Fighting, but don't be overly surprised if they do, and come up with different types for everything else(which would be a tad but unfair, but whatever).
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
I don't think Fennekin is or will become a dual Fire/Fighting type, because all the other Fire/Fighting types are 2-legged and use their arms/fists for fighting. Would be interesting to see a Fire/Psychic combo, since that has never been done (except with Victini, which is primarily Psychic and then Fire, and Darmanitan in its Zen Mode).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Except nobody uses Meganium(that I know of) because it can't do anything aside from just setting up screens(I'm not trying to diss meganium or anything, I love it! It just lacks on the competitive side). I think what makes Serperior useful overall is that it has SO much recovery, which I think you're forgetting here. Sure, Serperior may seem flimsy, but thankfully its moveset alleviates that. You have Calm Mind, Giga Drain, and Substitute, all of which can work in conjunction with each other, and even leech seed to help give you even more HP, for -more- subs. Plus, Serperior isn't weak to Shell Smash Gorebyss, though it entirely depends on who sets up first.

Oh and by the way, I think Serperior has taunt. So it wins against SS Gorebyss anyway.

And honestly, that argument can be used against almost any grass starter type, since they're all walled by Skarmory(minus HP Fire Venusaur in Sun). I'm not saying that Serperior is the best thing out there, but it certainly isn't too shabby at what it does, and it has the moveset to help fix its defensive weaknesses, so it's not necessarily a problem. o.o
I had a Meganium on my Crystal version before it got erased. It was the only Pokémon that I had at level 100. If I remember correctly, it had Solarbeam, Razor Leaf, Body Slam and Synthesis. I even beat Fire-types with it.

Last edited by CloysterOyster; February 26th, 2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloysterOyster View Post
I don't think Fennekin is or will become a dual Fire/Fighting type, because all the other Fire/Fighting types are 2-legged and use their arms/fists for fighting. Would be interesting to see a Fire/Psychic combo, since that has never been done (except with Victini, which is primarily Psychic and then Fire, and Darmanitan in its Zen Mode).
Tepig starts off as a Quadruped and evolves into a Bipedal being, same can easily happen to Fennekin. If not, Fennekin is just going to be a Ninetales rip off, especially if it does the split tail thing that most believe it will. So really we'll get a second Ninetales, how original.
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM
PrimalDialgasaur
Primal Sauropod

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Tepig starts off as a Quadruped and evolves into a Bipedal being, same can easily happen to Fennekin. If not, Fennekin is just going to be a Ninetales rip off, especially if it does the split tail thing that most believe it will. So really we'll get a second Ninetales, how original.
I know Fennekin is a fennec fox, but I believe it might turn into a wolf...looks like it.
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Even if it was Fire/Psychic, I firmly believe that's a type that Ninetails should've been in the first place. u__u I mean, it learns Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, etc...but it's still a plain Fire-type. Oh well. I digress.
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:20 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Uh two of those moves mentioned are dark (just saying).

If it turns into a wolf that'll be nice, we'll have our starter be like Remoraid, evolve into a different species of animal (only wolves are related to foxes). Maybe Fennekin will be Fire/Ground. If it is I plan to make a ground team out of Swampert, Torterra, and it's final.

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Uh two of those moves mentioned are dark (just saying).

If it turns into a wolf that'll be nice, we'll have our starter be like Remoraid, evolve into a different species of animal (only wolves are related to foxes). Maybe Fennekin will be Fire/Ground. If it is I plan to make a ground team out of Swampert, Torterra, and it's final.
That was the point. The fact that it could learn moves like those would be more than enough to warrant the Fire/Psychic typing imo, but it wasn't. u_u
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Community Supporter

Does anyone think tne region will be shown next issue? Or will they delay it to reveal more about Sylveon and the mascots this time around?
Wonder what ability Sylveon will gain, Kanto's got element absorbtion to restore Hp, and in Flareon's case up Fire moves,, Johto's got shared status issues, Sinnoh's got weather related abilities.

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
I'd think they would give us some more insight than they have in terms of the region, since from what I remember we found out about Unova/Isshu pretty quick or at least in a more timely manner. They should do more to reveal info at least on Sylveon which is what I think they were hinting at especially on Pokemon XY site. I got a feeling they may reveal like regional bird and regional ratta and maybe one or two others. Then some new details on other aspects of the game.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old February 26th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

It's a long way towards the end of the year, guys. Remember that 2013 just started(but hey, we're just about almost already in March!), so I'm not surprised if we don't end up getting much until April/May. I expect next month to be just as slow, probably revealing either types, evos, or something along those lines.

Basically Gamefreak dangling a carrot in front of our faces and pulling it back, each and every time. XD So the speculation continues for another month, and then it repeats until it gets close to release date~
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

I doubt the slow news of January and February can last up till may. I wholly believe March would be the last one or at least somewhat dull, with April onwards being massive info dumps. Something tells me there is a lot to cover, which is why we heard about them so early.
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I'm at least hoping that March would be the last month of everything progressing so slowly! The more information we get, the more we can further speculate on instead of the same topics going around in a circle every time. D: Let's hope that it'll be something of good substance, like the starter evolutions. That'll get people talking for months.
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
I'm at least hoping that March would be the last month of everything progressing so slowly! The more information we get, the more we can further speculate on instead of the same topics going around in a circle every time. D: Let's hope that it'll be something of good substance, like the starter evolutions. That'll get people talking for months.
Good news is that March is 2 days away, so hopefully we'll get some new information sooner than later. And I'd be happy just seeing the second stage of the starters at this point. If I had to guess what's going to be released though, it's going to be another Eeveelution. They've come in pairs after the original 3 came out, so it'd make sense for their to be another one.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
Good news is that March is 2 days away, so hopefully we'll get some new information sooner than later. And I'd be happy just seeing the second stage of the starters at this point. If I had to guess what's going to be released though, it's going to be another Eeveelution. They've come in pairs after the original 3 came out, so it'd make sense for their to be another one.
We do usually see info by... I think the 15th of each month, so by March 15th we'd see leaks? Then again, it's only a guess, so... I'd love to see more pokemon and more evolutions myself~ As well as the new rival(s) and the new professor.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
If there is another eeveelution, let's just hope it won't be a pain to figure out it's type like it was with Sylveon. XD Everyone has their eyes peeled out for Sylveon's possible type, and I honestly think it's pretty obvious but it's going to catch people way off-guard at the same time.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
If there is another eeveelution, let's just hope it won't be a pain to figure out it's type like it was with Sylveon. XD Everyone has their eyes peeled out for Sylveon's possible type, and I honestly think it's pretty obvious but it's going to catch people way off-guard at the same time.
Since the last CoroCoro didn't leave any space for another, theres a really good chance we only get 1 new Eevee Evolution. I know I'm just repeating myself, but we don't have to have more than one show up. If Sylveon is Dragon Typed, the chances its the only new one is really high. If another type the chances lower, but since CoroCoro didn't leave any other hints and the fact that Sylveon is being showcased by itself is a pretty good show that its the last one for now at least. Though if Dragon, pretty sure its the last one altogether until a new type comes in.

Also pretty good chance that if Normal, its the final since Eevee would have found its original evolution method/final evolution method.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I'm at least hoping it's the last new eeveelution for this generation, we have too many and I think that, assuming that Jolteon has found its "other half" so to speak, that there wouldn't be any more space for any more eeveelutions, which probably means the eeveelution line is finally done, unless GF manages to figure out some way to squeeze a new one in there, somehow. @_@ /run-on sentence.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
I'm at least hoping it's the last new eeveelution for this generation, we have too many and I think that, assuming that Jolteon has found its "other half" so to speak, that there wouldn't be any more space for any more eeveelutions, which probably means the eeveelution line is finally done, unless GF manages to figure out some way to squeeze a new one in there, somehow. @_@ /run-on sentence.
I don't agree with that pattern of counterparts mentioned, Gen 2 introduced two types that had little to do with the first three type advantage or disadvantage wise. They could do the same here too.

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
I don't agree with that pattern of counterparts mentioned, Gen 2 introduced two types that had little to do with the first three type advantage or disadvantage wise. They could do the same here too.
But they were counterparts of each other, which made sense. And then Gen IV Introduced Leafeon and Glaceon, which were also counterparts of each other, but at the same time, Leafeon and Glaceon both fit right in perfectly, because Flareon is super-effective against both of them, while Leafeon is good against Vaporeon and Glaceon is good against Leafeon, etc.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
But they were counterparts of each other, which made sense. And then Gen IV Introduced Leafeon and Glaceon, which were also counterparts of each other, but at the same time, Leafeon and Glaceon both fit right in perfectly, because Flareon is super-effective against both of them, while Leafeon is good against Vaporeon and Glaceon is good against Leafeon, etc.
In that case they could always add two types, one that's Rock and one that's Flying (Sylveon is likely to be this) as Rock and Flying can be considered opposites.

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
In that case they could always add two types, one that's Rock and one that's Flying (Sylveon is likely to be this) as Rock and Flying can be considered opposites.
Except Flying already has a technical opposite: Electric. And Jolteon is electric, which is super-effective against Sylveon, assuming that it's flying. XD So Rock would be unnecessary.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Except Flying already has a technical opposite: Electric. And Jolteon is electric, which is super-effective against Sylveon, assuming that it's flying. XD So Rock would be unnecessary.
Well Leafoen wasn't necessary than as Flareon can be considered the opposite of Vaporeon. Really this whole opposite thing is silly (and I'm one who tends to think of silly ideas trust me).

Old February 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
I guess that'd make sense too, since then we'd have an even number of Eeveelutions and they'd all have a pair. Who knows, I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Sponsored Links