• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Transport

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Luckily the rollerskates died so I wanted to extend said topic a bit more! So do you think rollerskates will replace the bike for one? Now the next question, do you think running shoes will be easier to obtain or not obtainable at all? What about riding a bike and rollerskates? What about Mach vs Acro? What about being able to drive a car, or a scooter even? Is that likely to happen? Are there other sorts of transport outside of space travel you'd like to see?

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Transport is always a tricky subject in any game but for pokemon I feel it's a little more tricky than others mainly because if you do introduce things like a car? you would probably miss out on alot of exploring and to add to that you would only be stuck to a specific route making the game alot bigger than it needs be and having things in which are just totally unnecessary You see hints of what could be roads in Castelia City? but again it's just something totally not needed.

As for the rollerskates and Bike issue, I feel rollerskates would just refresh older players from the standard box set running shoes and the rollerskates would take advantage of a 3DS' 3d capabilities, the bike however I feel should stay in a game because it adds that adventurey feel to the game, I did really enjoy the Acro and Mach bikes in R/S/E as it meant that the player had to switch the bikes in order to get to certain places which were only accessible by one type of bike. Again this is something which I would love to see return in Gen 6, making area's accessible by bike only and making it so you need a certain bike to get there but it really isn't needed but more to make the game slightly more flashy.

This is a really good thread and I can't wait to see what some other people have to say on the subject!

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, rollerskates... hm, it's a nice twist.

However, I would like to see various forms of transportation myself, or maybe improved advances on your transportation. For instance, in Pokemon XD, you get to ride on your scooter, but, over time, your scooter gets upgraded to a scooter that hovers! And later on, you get a transportation built for you -- the RoboKyogre. So yes, basically, if we get rollerskates, I'd like to see maybe either upgraded versions of that, or, maybe just different types of rollerskates, like one type that allows you to jump like the Acro Bike, or hey, maybe one that sort of 'hovers'? Or.. .you know, maybe just plain ol' Ice skates?

Hm, I'd like a skateboard too. Or a scooter, because, scooters are also fun, and they're a nice refresher on getting around everywhere.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
....Hmm...how should I word this....?

Why can't we just get a skateboard?

I mean, not that I'm complaining about skates! Skates are really nice in the long run. Maybe pretty outdated(since no one I know uses rollerskates, but that's just me), but as far as a Pokemon game goes, it's not something that I'm going to complain about because the bike was kind of boring, and it was nice to have the change anyway(that is, if it happens).

And I'd say just get rid of the bike. We've had five generations to mess with it, ride around with it, and do all kinds of things with it. I mean, this is just me, but can't we just put it to rest? I suppose it would be a good idea to at least include it as some sort of alternative item for the skates for those who are still attached to it, but I feel that it already had it's run, and that we're moving on to better and better items as far as transportation goes. And then I think that after skates, we'll finally have a flipping skateboard, at least, I hope. XD

Even though it seems sexist wouldn't making rollerskates female exclusive and making a skateboard male exclusive give the game slightly more flavour? the fact that depending on which protagonist you pick male or female you get a different transport method which in my opinion would be a fair thing and would look alot better.

The bike thing though is something which 95% of pokemon players can relate to in real life, on a cold frosty day riding you bike to the shop or on a hot summer day riding your bike with your friends, how many people have those same memories on rollerskates or a skateboard? Not many I presume. The bike will always be apart of pokemon because it helped the player connect with the game easier and find it a more enjoyable experience even though it wouldn't seem like it from just a bike. Maybe Game Freak should do some new adjustments to the bikes and make them a little more interesting but as for scrapping them completely I feel they hold too much of a subliminal sentiment to get rid of.

Years
Even though it seems sexist wouldn't making roller skates female exclusive and making a skateboard male exclusive give the game slightly more flavour? the fact that depending on which protagonist you pick male or female you get a different transport method which in my opinion would be a fair thing and would look alot better.
At first glance I didn't agree with rollerskates and skateboards being gender-exclusive, but it actually does seem like a nice idea. Cars seem very gimmicky and not exactly in the spirit of Pokemon adventures, something I consider as a rugged journey. I could possibly see a train station in the town that's at the center of the region that takes you to any place in the region at a fee. I think I would only like this if the fee was fairly high so it can't be abused ( I hate fast traveling features in games).

Hopefully if they have roller skates and skateboards they will have a good animation/sprite because it seems like you might not be able to see them most of the time and they would really have as fun as a animation as the bike did. There is certainly the possibility that they will just continue the running shoes/bike tradition.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Honestly, I couldn't care less for the new or older vehicles, what I really want is to be able to ride your pokemon, imagine how awesome it would be to ride on a rapidash or zebstrika. GameFreak could also add some platforming to the game, by using your pokemon to jump over ledges or scale over long gaps that the player normally wouldn't be able to do.
I believe this would be a great feature and and that GameFreak should start some form of platforming in gen 6.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I'm thinking that the running shoes would be the first of items you'd get in Pokémon X and Y, then probably rollerskates later on. But other than footwear in the game, the types of transport I'd like to see in the game is trains, boats and planes, like in Black 2/White 2.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
You know what, thinking about it, what does this mean for a possible Bicycle Road? (or any transportation road of that sort)? With these rollerskates, will we see some sort of.. roller rink?

And, you guys know about Tour de France, right? The annual multiple stage bicycle race primarily held in France, while also occasionally making passes through nearby countries? Could there possibly be something like that?

Guy

just a guy
Years
Honestly, I couldn't care less for the new or older vehicles, what I really want is to be able to ride your pokemon, imagine how awesome it would be to ride on a rapidash or zebstrika. GameFreak could also add some platforming to the game, by using your pokemon to jump over ledges or scale over long gaps that the player normally wouldn't be able to do.
I believe this would be a great feature and and that GameFreak should start some form of platforming in gen 6.
Technically the idea of transportation by Pokémon has already been done through Surf and Fly. However, I would certainly love to see this extended much farther. For example, running around town on top of a Dodrio? An amazing idea. I just don't feel too confident about it happening this generation unfortunately. :\

I love that they have taken an alternative route this generation though and added in roller skates. Will it replace the bike altogether? That's left to be seen, but if its, I honestly don't think I'm going to miss it. I would, however, like for their to be obstacles for the player where the roller skates can be used such as with the Acro Bike and Mach Bike in RSE. Maybe we'll even get ice skates for the frozen areas of the game. That would be pretty neat. Ice Arena mini-game anyone!?

Not here for gender exclusive means of transportation though. Upgrades, however, I would love to see. Perhaps going from rollerskates, to skateboards (I want these so bad!), and later the bike or maybe a dirt bike would be a great transition of upgrades.

Cars? Eh. What's the fun in those? I will say, I did like how we saw moving vehicles in Unova. It at least acknowledged the fact that they exist since the days of RSE and the moving truck.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I'm pretty sure the rolling skates are going to be the running shoes replacement with the bike still being intact. The trailer showed both running and normal walking, so we can assume at least the circle pad is fixed to give you variations of speed on how far you are pushing it.

Digital Eevee

Team Digi-Eon
Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2013
It would make more sense for someone to carry around a pair of roller skate then this fold-up bike we have been getting for the last few generations.
If they did include the bike as well then it would probably have a second function like it did in Ruby/Sapphire.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I really hope we get a bike as well. As someone who rides BMX, I'm used to looking down on Rollerblades. Rollerbladers at the bmx park are usually a pretty funny sight to behond

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Not too sure transportation in general will be on Pokemon themselves, but I can see other types of transportation occurring. Like, for example, we might get to ride in trucks and travel the region in trucks, or even cars. Just because humans are doing the work doesn't mean we can't, and there certainly have been trucks in recent games, and even appearing a lot in Unova, soooo!

demonta4

President of Demonta Games
Years
transportation

Transportation in previous pokemon games have been limited to bikes.Would you want a new way to get around.We could travel by monorail like in heartgold and soulsilver,or we could ride on our pokemon.What do you think.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Transportation in previous pokemon games have been limited to bikes.Would you want a new way to get around.We could travel by monorail like in heartgold and soulsilver,or we could ride on our pokemon.What do you think.
We may not see the monorail, but it's possible the sub station like in B/W may be used again.

By the way, merged your thread within an existing thread discussing transportion here. Might I suggest checking out the X/Y Thread Index before creating new threads next time? This way you can avoid creating any duplicate topics that are already active on the forum.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Other than maybe replacing the current forms of transportation that we have, I wouldn't want to see anything new really. I think the ways we have are sufficient as it is. Maybe replace the Bike with like a skateboard or roller blades?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
Looking at it realistically though, biking is the best for 'adventuring'. There are mountain bikes, while skateboards and rollerskates require pavement.

I want biking to stay, but with skateboards or rollerblades accessible in big urban areas where they seem more likely.​

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Biking definitely has the adventurous feel too it. While Rollerblades would be a cool change, i don't think they would get you really far when travelling offroad or up and down cliffs, so I'd stick to the bike.
A scooter would be a nice idea and even fitting for the Europe region, but since most of our adventures on Pokemon games don't take plays in large cities or highways, i don't think we'd really need it.
What i would really like to see would be an underground train system to get you from city to city, since most of European cities have a pretty large and reliable train/metro/subway system. This would make travelling way easier, and you wouldn't need a Pokemon with Fly all the time...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Other than stuff on foot... idk we could have cars I guess. Like in a certain route we could travel in cars because there's so much...scary out there? I mean before we get our Pokemon if they wanna extend the early part.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Other than stuff on foot... idk we could have cars I guess. Like in a certain route we could travel in cars because there's so much...scary out there? I mean before we get our Pokemon if they wanna extend the early part.

I guess maybe be transported by car to the starting town instead of living there? That'd create an interesting story concept too, visiting home after you've been on your journey for awhile. Other than that I wouldn't really want to see any cars transporting you, as I think that it would take out a lot of the fun in travelling and adventuring.

Back