The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Emulation & ROM Hacking

Notices

Emulation & ROM Hacking The center for the community emulation scene. Come and discuss all things emulation and develop your own hacks!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
johnr754
I am JOHN, heck yeah!

Nature: Modest
I was actually going to use Menes in my hack, like Nyan Cat. Only now putting in if nesscary.
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:47 AM
jdb1984
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
I may reference a show or something when concerning TV's that have no show on at that time, but I'm on the fence about it. Mostly because until you have some shows on, they all say the same thing (I believe, been a while since I played Emerald). So it really wouldn't make sense that everyone would watch the same show 24/7, unless you're on TV
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:41 AM
KeitaroHirochi
Inconsistent Hacker

Using memes in a hack is a bad idea, I think i should only be done if a meme is character trait (even if for example NyanCat as a character trait will make said character annoying, I'mma firin' mah lazor could be accurate for a guy who has everyone in his team know HyperBeam), or then use any meme only ONCE in the whole storyline.
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:57 AM
leogrecchi

But... even GameFreak does fill the game with references and inside jokes...

Okay, most of them are just in the Japanese version (and most of these would be lost in translation anyway. Search about the Nugget Bridge reference in the first R/G games and you'll see what I mean)

But some of them are done, and some mention memes. It was caught on my radar, that in HG/SS, one of the NPC's in Saffron City says something on the lines of "The Magnet Train... How does it work?", in an obvious (but at the same time, subtle) meme reference.

I'm fully-on about using these references, but please, do it the right way.
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:17 AM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leogrecchi View Post
But some of them are done, and some mention memes. It was caught on my radar, that in HG/SS, one of the NPC's in Saffron City says something on the lines of "The Magnet Train... How does it work?", in an obvious (but at the same time, subtle) meme reference.
Wow that's really impressive.

Especially because "****ing magnets, how do they work?" wasn't a meme until April of last year - a month after HG/SS came out.

Even more amazingly, the line "How does the MAGNET TRAIN work?" is taken verbatim from the original script to Gold and Silver, like a lot of lines in HG/SS.

Last edited by The 100 Mega Shock; December 10th, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old December 13th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO

There are still a few in the official games, such as 'a winner is you' (although it was used in G/S before it became an internet meme, it's very likely that its origin is the same; also, it was used in D/P). I remember there being another meme in D/P, but can't remember which one it was. IIRC it was said by a Galactic Grunt near the Valley Windworks.

But most of the time, memes are just obnoxious and annoying; I'd probably stop playing a hack if it started throwing memes in my face.
Old December 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
PKMNTRAINER Chubbs
Beginning Trainer

I think taking memes and making them relevant to the Pokemon world/setting would be find. As was mentioned before, the child bug trainer stating his Caterpie's level is over 9000 would be fine by me as I get the joke AND it's made relevant to Pokemon. Memes that aren't pertaining to Pokemon or the world/setting in anyway don't seem to jive well in my mind.
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Zerkrom The Hedgehog
A Stocking Fanboy

Nature: Mild
I think that if excuted right Memes and References can be made funny
Old February 25th, 2013, 09:35 PM
U_Flame
Brony Hacker

Location: UnderwaterSapphire in Hoenn 100 years in the future
I never get tired of references, as long as they're well placed and fitting. A professor saying "It's dangerous to go alone, take this Pokemon" wouldn't work because it'd be too in the way and obvious. However, an NPC saying "Bowties are cool," or someone describing something as "20% cooler" would be subtle enough and hilarious.
Welp, just when I really got back into hacking, my computer breaks for good. Nothing is cancelled or lost, just on hiatus until I can put my backup somewhere. I'll probably be active around here via android for now.

Times I've been ninja'd: 16
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:55 AM
hinkage
But on Saturday nobody showed
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
I never get tired of references, as long as they're well placed and fitting. A professor saying "It's dangerous to go alone, take this Pokemon" wouldn't work because it'd be too in the way and obvious. However, an NPC saying "Bowties are cool," or someone describing something as "20% cooler" would be subtle enough and hilarious.

I guarentee you that anything else in the world would be funnier than that.

The eternal question...
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
References are great in my opinion, especially trying to get them all. Seeing something and then wondering "Where did I hear that? Oh yeah, _______!" I find them fun.

Memes, however, are a big no-no. In hacks, I find them generally annoying when they're used a lot. Maybe sparingly and subtle, they can be used. But I'd prefer they not be used at all, and I'm not including any in my project.
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:23 PM
U_Flame
Brony Hacker

Location: UnderwaterSapphire in Hoenn 100 years in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
I guarentee you that anything else in the world would be funnier than that.
Was that really necessary? Humor is a matter of opinion.

Anyways those are just examples using my favorite fandoms. You don't have to like them, they're just an example on how subtle I think any reference should be.
Welp, just when I really got back into hacking, my computer breaks for good. Nothing is cancelled or lost, just on hiatus until I can put my backup somewhere. I'll probably be active around here via android for now.

Times I've been ninja'd: 16
Times I've ninja'd people: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarixio View Post
Unbeatable Flame would make a pokemon trainer run outta breath in the anime:
Unbeatable Flame, Flamethrower.
Unbeatable Flame, Sky Uppercut.
Unbeatable Flame, this.
Unbeatable Flame, that.
Un*pant*beatable---Flame, hooollaaa
Un-un-un-un--bea-bee....*Pokemon trainer fainted*
Quick Reply