The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 24th, 2013, 05:47 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Problem is, sometimes, as much as I'd want to buy new for older gen stuff.. they jack up the price like crazy. Like.. new Ace Attourney Trials and Tribulations game? $60+.. I can't justify that, and not much of it is actually going to the developer, the most of that money is going to the seller >_> As much as I want to support them, that's just ridiculous.
(Bought AA investigations though because it was the proper price!)

Some games I need to pirate to play. Tales of Innocence? There is no english version, but there is an English fanmade patch. Legal to download and play for me since it hasn't been localized. ;3
Well, the "legal" thing to do is to import the game, rip it to your computer, patch it, and then play it via some medium. Thing is, apparently even backups (or making backups) is illegal in some cases.

Not that I mind, it's more a matter of morals than anything else. I usually pirate Japanese games since I don't have an income and otherwise wouldn't be able to even buy the game; it doesn't make it any better, though, but that's just my scenario.
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Jolly
I don't really have too much against pirating. People have their reasons, and I understand how some people don't want to spend too much money on games they really want. The only problem I have with it is people doing it for money; selling pirate copies. Playing pirated games is similar to playing on an emulator.
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:20 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I agree with completely agree with that. I hate it when I go anywhere, in real life or online, and they have bootlegs mixed in with real games for sale. Especially if they are of ROM hacks, since the creators spent so much time on something awesome just to have it downloaded into a generic cart and sold for cash. However I myself pirate games that I cannot afford to buy. While I try to buy the real copies, it just isn't possible for someone without an income. Maybe when I become rich and famous I'll buy all the new games I want :B

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Mr. Avocado
Insanity
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Jolly
Well there are always flaws with pirating, and getting the actual game is a lot more preferable. As I age, I will want to be able to actually purchase the games I want and keep them forever. Memories of playing them and also giving them a go sometimes; it will make me think of my youth. Video games have been a huge part of my childhood and I could never let them go.
Old February 27th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Spinosaurus

The only time I ever pirate games is on my R4 for DS games, and it's mostly just to try a game out before buying it (a demo, basically) given the DS huge library. Most of the the games on my R4 that I actually spent a worthwhile time playing I already ended up owning anyway. Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents are the two big one. Though I never ended up buying 999 because importing never crossed my mind at that time, and I still need to get Ace Attorney Investigations. (i'm part of the problem i know)

Otherwise I'm completely anti-piracy. I'd rather own a game and support the developers than play it illegally just to save some cash. (sans the most expensive stuff out there which are generally in used condition...like earthbound.) However, I'm actually dying to play Virtual Boy Wario Land but Virtual Boy was never released in Europe, so I'm considering pirating. Who knows, I doubt the virtual boy will ever get a virtual console release.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Shadow-L
Lonesome Road

A bit off-topic, but I just saw a trailer for Isaac Clarke in Playstation All-Stars. Sadly, I still don't think that's reason enough to buy this game.

YouTube // Fragging Rights // Go Beyond.
WHOA I'M BACK
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
However, I'm actually dying to play Virtual Boy Wario Land but Virtual Boy was never released in Europe, so I'm considering pirating. Who knows, I doubt the virtual boy will ever get a virtual console release.
I've played a bit of that on an emulator and it was a lot of fun. I'd love to try it on a VirtualBoy though, but the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Platinum Supporter Team Fail

"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."

Charizard

Old March 1st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
So to get a discussion rolling, anyone else wierded out by the fact that Sony's first party studios are pumping games out for the PS3 due for the holiday season plus the fact that we likely haven't seen all the games for it yet? What I mean is, unless the PS4 has a lot of cross gen titles, wouldn't that leave Sony with a gaping hole in their plan where the games should fit? Not like I'm buying the console day 1, but it just doesn't feel right, from a consumers POV.
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:38 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Sorry, Elendil, I know you just posted a discussion topic, but this...it makes me sad. Sad and scared.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...has_to_go_away

The reason it scares me is because this is not the first developer to say this, I've been seeing this logic as a trend among Western developers recently. It'd be fine if they wanted to simply integrate the "Online" or "Connected" Single Player, but removing offline Single Player as an option overall omits a lot of story options for future games.

Then again, it seems that a lot of non-indie Western titles haven't been focusing on Story lately, either. It's all about multiplayer nowadays, and it's a little sad that you have to look almost strictly to the East and at indie titles to find a game with an immersive story and/or engaging Single Player mode.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 03:57 AM
Spinosaurus

I do hope single player or local multiplayer won't end up going away. I, myself, don't like playing online if I'm on my own. (Some exceptions aside, like fighting games or Mario Kart.) Not that it's because I can't handle myself, mind you, but the idea of playing with strangers I completely don't know about is not something I'm fond of. I'd rather play with my friends if it's multiplayer, be it online or local. Otherwise, count me out for the most part.

I really hope we don't end up losing single player games. That's the reason I even play video games, not online. The thought alone is really scary.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Sorry, Elendil, I know you just posted a discussion topic, but this...it makes me sad. Sad and scared.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...has_to_go_away

The reason it scares me is because this is not the first developer to say this, I've been seeing this logic as a trend among Western developers recently. It'd be fine if they wanted to simply integrate the "Online" or "Connected" Single Player, but removing offline Single Player as an option overall omits a lot of story options for future games.

Then again, it seems that a lot of non-indie Western titles haven't been focusing on Story lately, either. It's all about multiplayer nowadays, and it's a little sad that you have to look almost strictly to the East and at indie titles to find a game with an immersive story and/or engaging Single Player mode.
Ah don't worry, saw that after I posted and I wasn't bothered with deleting my post and putting it up with this. But yeah, its scary really, but not far from the truth. Single Player games with online aspects will be more common, but not in the way Yelti is saying, far from it. Miiverse is likely as far as we're going to get, with single player games having optional player interactivity that can be played offline all we want. This speculation however is suggesting the games each become their own Miiverse, with the gameplay being a secondary feature. Stuff like this is worrying, because single player is too important for the industry to just drop. Imagine having a single player game, and not being able to play it cause the servers are down, or losing the immersion that they are supposed to give you. At best I see this as random babbling coming from Yelti because Crysis can't be bothered anymore to offer a proper Single Player mode, let alone a multiplayer.
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Mr Cat Dog
Everything Will Be OK

I've been singing this but changing the lyrics to 'I just bought Ni no Kuni! I just bought Ni no Kuni!" Haven't had a chance to play it as of yet, but I'm really excited to, when I get a chance after work. From people who have played it: is it any good?
Old March 4th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

I really want it but I have so much else that I'm playing, so I just can't throw another long RPG on the "to play" pile. All the previews and vids I've seen have looked really fun though - the combat system, especially, looks really promising.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I uh... got the Wizard's Edition and played like 12 hours and then put it down before a midterm a few weeks ago and haven't really felt any desire to pick it up again since. And with Kingdom Hearts HD coming out in just over a week, it's probably going to be on the backburner for a really long time. :(

Most people seem to love it but I didn't really get into it.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old March 5th, 2013, 03:15 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I uh... got the Wizard's Edition and played like 12 hours and then put it down before a midterm a few weeks ago and haven't really felt any desire to pick it up again since. And with Kingdom Hearts HD coming out in just over a week, it's probably going to be on the backburner for a really long time. :(

Most people seem to love it but I didn't really get into it.
You didn't buy it just because it was so highly recommended, did you?

If so, I recommend putting it down for a few months or years and then playing it. It worked for me with a few games (Persona 4, .Hack//G.U., Super Mario Galaxy) and it might really end up helping you. It'd a great way to get into games you just can't get into, though there is the chance that you just won't like the game.
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I've been eyeing it and wanting it for years now. The only thing that stopped me from importing was that I'd heard the book was really text-heavy and didn't trust my Japanese to go that far. :( I have a feeling I might prefer the DS version so I'm considering buying that instead of playing the PS3 one now that I have a hard copy of the book anyway.

I'll definitely come back to it and it'll probably be a few months before I do so maybe that'll be a long enough break so that I can appreciate it more when I get there.

tumblrtwitter

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Yeah, if the game is the same on the DS, wouldn't buying the wizards edition of the PS3 version and a Japanese DS Ni No Kuni work, even if the game's in Japanese? But I really do wish they gave the DS version a chance along with the book, definitely would have paid for it, even if its a special edition.
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:16 AM
abnegation
I do this so you cannot help but hear. A wise man views a moonless night with fear.

Just a heads up, Assassins Creed 4 announced, October release date. After playing 3, I'm not holding up much hopes for this one. The PC version lacked a lot of polish.

Old March 5th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Pirate's Creed looks cool, if not a bit tedious. I mean sure its awesome, but the annualization of this series is not cool. Its like if Nintendo gave us Zelda every year, same character trope, different eras, and sidequests, all in the same overarching story. Its just stale, and a purer example of what's wrong with the industry today.
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
That One Guy With The Face

Nature: Quiet
Honestly I'm fine with another Assassin's Creed just as long as it's better than the last installment now.

Btw, anyone on here play Mass Effect 3 over Xbox Live anymore? Could use a few helping hands if anyone's up.
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:26 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

I'd like to play one in feudal Japan; I can't see that being boring and it seems inevitable.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Spinosaurus

I'd get a pirate themed Assassin's Creed in a heartbeat. I still need to give the series a proper try, but since I waited for AC3 (and look how that turned out) I've been holding off.

Hopefully Ubisoft learns their lesson from 3.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I'm really hoping for an East Asian one because I find all the Oriental cultures really interesting. I'd LOVE to play an Assassin in any pre-modern age of China, especially around the fall of one of the dynasties. Wouldn't mind Japan either but I think China would be more interesting. n_n;

Still haven't played AC3 and it's too early for me to think about another one right now so I haven't really given AC4 any thought yet. Boats and oceans don't interest me though--sounds tedious. I'll reserve judgment for when it actually gets close to release and we know more about it but for now it's not really high on my wishlist.

tumblrtwitter

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:33 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Nature: Quiet
Somehow I never noticed the Video Games DCC before o.o

Not looking forward to AC4. It is too soon. Also not enjoying AC3 very much right now. The series needs a break. It's too much too fast and it is all very samey at this point. And the plot dynamic is taking itself too seriously.

I'd like to see something Asia-oriented, yes. But also maybe Spain?
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

I've said it before, but its what annualization does to franchises that shouldn't be annual. It makes them lose their sheen, and ultimately kills any excitement for it. Its the one series out of all the IP's to come out of this gen that should have been treated with care and a spaced out release period.

Sponsored Links