The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

View Poll Results: Lance or Cynthia?
Lance! 25 22.52%
Cynthia! 70 63.06%
I like both equally! 15 13.51%
I dislike them both! 1 0.90%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I prefer Cynthia over Lance. She got a versatile team that doesn't share the same weakness and her team was really high leveled and I had to level up so much to beat her.
Lance is just your typical very strong dragon trainer. It's like if he could own his own gym since he uses the same type of Pokemon like most gym leaders. And also, Cynthia is nice (and pretty) and cares about Pokemon. Whereas Lance, cares for Pokemon in the games, but in the manga, he's a total jerk and wants to destroy weak Pokemon trainers so the world would be one where Pokemon are free and only strong trainers are around. It made me really hate him when I read it haha.
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
The_Consumer

Cynthia looks like a very glamorous woman. I wouldn't mess with her. She could go psycho.
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Utzipher

Nature: Modest
Cynthia, for the reason shared by many others - she actually gave me a hard time in battle. She comes out first in every category - impressive team and skill, shows more style and class, and she even has a better theme. And she's quite hot. Lance isn't even in the same league.

NAME: JORDAN | FC: 5029-3281-8744
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:49 PM
kj3400
Wants a Magneton for a Charger

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Skype™ to kj3400
I liked Cynthia's involvement in the game, but her team was an immediate turnoff for me. I officially hate spiritombs.
Lance was more meh, and his team was strong, but they were still easy to take down.

So... I guess...Cynthia?
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Starry Windy
Keep smiling yo~
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I personally like both of them. I like Lance's dedication of training Dragon Pokemon, and Cynthia because of her personality, and variations of her Pokemon.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Cynthia! She's always been my favorite since they first introduced her. I also like the fact that she's made a reappearance in every Game since her debut.

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Love the bias in this thread.

Cynthia uses the most powerful pseudo-legendary ever created, along with the annoying Milotic and a Pokémon that has no weaknesses (Spiritomb). But Lance, with four Pokémon weak to Ice, is the one who's called a n00b! Really, sometimes people amaze me.

I also think it's not fair to evaluate Lance based on his old team from GSC. In the rematch, his team is awesome, although the heavy Ice weakness remains, but Garchomp, Charizard and Dragonite can sort of maneuver around it. And usually his Dragons are strong enough to take a non-STAB Ice attack and retaliate with a powerful move. Also, if you let Gyarados set up, you lost.

Cynthia has a great team with a lot of unique Pokémon, but Lance is also a worthy Champion and the one I would choose as a favorite character. I didn't find Cynthia that unique TBH. I think the most unique Champion ever is Alder, because of his philosophy and how he helped Cheren develop into a different kind of trainer. Cynthia was like Steven, someone mysterious who helps you and has an interest in something (Steven looks for rare rocks, while Cynthia investigates myths). All of Cynthia, Lance and Steven are quite similar in their approach to the player.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old January 18th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Miss Anne Thrope
Disgusted

Nature: Bold
Cynthia, hands down. I love her design, her personality, her battle style, and the fact that she actually was a bit of a challenge.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:46 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

I prefer Cynthia. First of all, cause she's hot. I mean, look at her. Anyways, I didn't only pick her for that reason. I liked that Cynthia's team was mixed unlike Lance. His team only consisted of Dragon Types. It would be really easy to kill his team if you had a high leveled Ice or Dragon Type. While as Cynthia's team is mixed and contains a Spiritomb with no weaknesses. Oh and because Cynthia's hot.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Matzeho1996

Cynthia because everyone in the game tells you to have a good team with mixed pokemon and types
And what about lance: he uses 3 dragonites, where's the logic?

There is a R/S Remake? Finally, but I don't wanna get spoiled about new things :D
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
I prefer Cynthia over Lance. Lance was quite easy to beat, Cynthia was more of a challenge.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM
24farone
Unhatched Egg

Thu, I am not going by my favorite lance I'm just going whose the better trainer some people say that garchomp would beat dragonite which so untrue. In anime and in the games dragonite hands down. Dragonites speed is only slower because they had to fit dragonites stats to equal 600 people don't understand dragonites ability to expand his wings to increase its speed. Plus, all the variety of moves it can learn ice beam even ice punch with dragonites attack would one hit garchomp. Also you can't compare these newer pokemon to the older ones anyways because there completely overpowered. Internals for example I'm huge fan of it but how is it that a monkey is faster than charizard base stats are for the games leave it at that the anime is1000% different.
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Rainbow Arcanine
now known as narnia

Nature: Jolly
I remember back in September I preferred Cynthia over Lance but honestly I actually like them both equally.

I don't mind that Lance's team isn't unique, it is actually challenging. In fact I found him more difficult rather than Cynthia, you see when I played Heartgold, I pretty much only had one Pokemon on my team that could do at least some damage towards Lance's Dragonite. The first time I battled him, I had absolutely no clue why people whinged over Lance, I used to think to myself that they were over exaggerating his strength to make newer players feel a bit nervous. Now I can see how wrong I was. :B

He was a nightmare. One of the worst and most difficult champions I've faced and I've faced four of them I think along with Red. I was really relieved when after fifteen minutes or so of me using countless electric moves (I had no ice,dragon or rock moves. :P) the Dragonite was finally taken down and I did a fist pump until I saw this text. Champion Lance is about to send in Dragonite, will you switch Pokemon?

I can't even express my feeling at that moment. I think I went berserk, thought this was it. Never playing another Pokemon game again. But I thought it was alright to give a go and after another few minutes of battling I'd won. It was a frustrating battle but looking back on it one of the most amazing I'd ever seen. <3

I love playing against Lance for this reason, for him to give me a challenge. I didn't care he had three of the same Pokemon, he's still one of my favourites even despite that ordeal. :B

And then there was Cynthia. I think back in 2009 when I was a newcomer to Pokemon, I remember my first battle with her. It took me about fifteen tries to beat her down I swear. I was eight so I guess that was understandable. :P

But I still loved her design and I liked all of the unique Pokemon she chose, there were some interesting varieties and the all ranges of types always had me guessing on what she would do next. I liked some of her strategies and she did prove a tough opponent.

All in all even though I usually find tough battles frustrating, I really liked these two champions. <3
. :p
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Diversion
Mega Aerodactyl.

Nature: Serious
Well...
To be honest I like them both, with Lance's team being too easy to beat makes it really fun ( at sometimes..).
And Cynthia's hard to beat team is fun too.
But seriously Cynthia's a monster, it took me countless attempts to beat her,
of course I still had my cool at that time. I beat her in Diamond.
And lance, I only used Jolteon and Piloswine, but the rematch...
I didn't find it easy to be honest.
So that's why I like both.
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:54 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
Please do not post in threads more than one month old.

However, since this thread seems to be a popular one, I'll keep it open.
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
Apparently I already voted in the poll but forgot to post a reply, whoops. D:

Love Lance but Cynthia takes the cake. Her design is absolutely beautiful and her battle theme pretty much tops any Pokemon music we've ever heard in my opinion!

Old February 27th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
Cynthia has the better team, and I find her to be the hardest Champion of all, however I'm going to vote for Lance. I like his character much more than Cynthia's. She kind of makes you her errand runner in DPPt and that's a bit annoying imo. Making you take things to her grandmother...pssh! Go see your grandmother, girl!

Lance does his own stuff. Sure, he asks for your help, but he actually does something by helping get the password in the Rocket Hideout and then taking out the other half of the Electrode, and you get to team up with him in a battle in there. Plus his design just exudes Champion status. Not that Cynthia's doesn't or anything, but I think his says it more. It's just so regal, and matches his type. And he's really friggin' difficult in the second round fight in HGSS omg.
Old March 4th, 2013, 05:31 PM
§acred†Beo!
F.A.T.E.

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to §acred†Beo!
I've always been a huge fan of Lance, I remember my original play through of Gold version as kid and when you help Lance defeat team rocket by rage lake I just thought that was epic.

However Cynthia was much harder to defeat, and plays a larger role in the series.

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:59 PM
vovillia
CEO & Owner of VoVillia Corp.

I like Cynthia, mainly because she's better in all fields compared to Lance
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:44 AM
B-L-A-Z-E
リズ

Nature: Impish
Nothing against Lance but, I really like Cynthia. She has diversity on her team which I think all champions should have and of course I like her design better. I do think Lance has a better battle theme though.

You wish it was this easy...
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I am sorry to Cynthia fans but I think she is over rated
Lance did a lot more he was champion,helped a lake of rage...helped silver see the light.

yeah so Lance
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:25 AM
K1ngQu33n
Electrical Swampert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis talli View Post
I am sorry to Cynthia fans but I think she is over rated
Lance did a lot more he was champion,helped a lake of rage...helped silver see the light.

yeah so Lance
I agree with you. The only thing Cynthia did was give you the special medicine for the Psyducks.
Lance helped you get through the whole Team Rocket base.

B/W 2 FC: 4213 2061 7946
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Febbe

Nature: Quirky
i love lance the most for the sole reason that he orders his dragonite to use hyper Beam on a person in the 2nd gen games.

well i really just like him the bes, in my opinion he looks and acts really cool and to me he looks like a champion with the cape and the crazy hair, he is pretty awesome in the anime too, but Cynthia is awesome too, shes got looks and skill and all that, but she is just not up there with lance.

Proud Dane - Viking In Greenland
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Diversity Pumpkin
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Serious
I hate Lance for his underlevelled Dragonites

I hate Cynthia for her Garchomp
Old March 31st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Infernape Master
Unhatched Egg

Cynthia, she has a variety of types which is a challenge and her strategies in-game are good. Lance, focuses on dragon types, it was easy to beat him in HG/SS johto and kanto matches.

In the anime, Cynthia is a good champion becuase she hasn't been beat. She took out Paul with only Garchomp and she is also into her battling. Cynthia even went to Unova and she is seen in many episodes. Lance, his only real appearance was when Ash beat him in the Orange League. Lance relies on Dragonite too much in the anime.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links