• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Legendary Pokemon - Xerneas and Yveltal

Which do you prefer?

• Pokemon X

Votes: 148 34.6%
  • Pokemon Y

Votes: 192 44.9%
  • Both

Votes: 88 20.6%

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think Xerneas looks more like a Grass/Psychic, whilst Yveltal does indeed look like a Dark/Flying. As much as I want this to be true, it would mean that Yveltal has a huge type advantage over Xerneas.

Having an advantage isn't bad, because what if their differences were that one was defensive and the other offensive? Meaning that Yveltal would actually be defensive!

Nothing Is Real

It's all in the mind you know!
Years
Having an advantage isn't bad, because what if their differences were that one was defensive and the other offensive? Meaning that Yveltal would actually be defensive!
That's true. Although, I picture Yveltal as more of an offensive Pokemon and Xerneas as the defensive (I'm only basing that on their appearance, though).

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I... think if that were to happen it'd be creepy looking. :( Like while I'm okay with bug mons, when you put it together with a serpent I think it'd just creep me out lmao. I'd rather leave Yveltal/Xerneas as whatever typing they are, and then for the third to be something simple to tie them in and not necessarily related to typing, thinking about it.

If they are going to make a bug/dragon type, make it a basilisk like creature. (I don't know how to post pictures on this thread, so I'll show you how I found it) Go on google images, type in basilisk, near the top there should be a sculpture someone made of a basilisk and that is what I think it should look like. A dragon with an insect-y essence to it.
Awesome.
In-fact, I'm gonna put it in my signature

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
@ Archeops: Just use the
insertimage.gif
(at the top of the posting box) and right click the image you want to add, then copy the "copy image URL" into the thread, for the future!

Also @ Derk, slower weather starter puts up sun, weakens water spout, gg.

(actually idk if it can, but ya)

Nevertheless, I dunno, I just picture Xerneas as more offensive because it's skinnier and seems more like Virizion, etc. :x Yveltal just reminds me of Mandibuzz, thus defensive comes into mind there.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Giratina's a Basilisk btw.
If they do a Bug/Dragon I imagine it to look something like Grima from Fire Emblem Awakening, that thing looks quite bug like for a Dragon.

Perhaps neither of them will have a type advantage over the other unlike Charzard versus Venusaur (or Blastoise over Charzard), and Kyogre over Groudon. I believe they left it out in Gen IV as neither space or time is better, and same with Yin and Yang which aren't enemies, those being interlinked while the starter mascots had the rivally going on, and water on earth exceeds the land. If that's why than I'll suggest they make them neutral against one another to prevent the unfortunate implication that X chromosome beats Y or vise versa. However if they do, than make X the stronger one...jk.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If they do a Bug/Dragon I imagine it to look something like Grima from Fire Emblem Awakening, that thing looks quite bug like for a Dragon.

Perhaps neither of them will have a type advantage over the other unlike Charzard versus Venusaur (or Blastoise over Charzard), and Kyogre over Groudon. I believe they left it out in Gen IV as neither space or time is better, and same with Yin and Yang which aren't enemies, those being interlinked while the starter mascots had the rivally going on, and water on earth exceeds the land. If that's why than I'll suggest they make them neutral against one another to prevent the unfortunate implication that X chromosome beats Y or vise versa. However if they do, than make X the stronger one...jk.

Unless water beats the one that beats the other one!! Assuming that the third one is water, which would even up Yveltal being more powerful than Xerneas if that's the case~~

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2013
Xerneas indeed does have a resemblance to Virzion making you think it would possibly have identical stats to it but Xerneas might be more defensive with it's possibly unique typing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013

You're right, Grima would make a MUCH better Bug/Dragon type.

If Xerneas is Psychic/Steel and Yveltal is Dark/Flying, neither will have a type advantage. Steel has normal effectiveness against Yveltal and psychic has no effect, dark has normal effectiveness against Xerneas and flying is not very effective against it, so they are both balanced out.
Bug/Dragon could be a problem though, as flying type moves (Yveltal's type) are super effective against it, whereas bug and dragon do normal damage against Yveltal. Of course, they could balance this out by giving the Bug/Dragon a higher base stat total.

I should put up a picture of Grima so you all know what I'm talking about.

Grima1.jpg

I should put up a picture of Grima so you all know what I'm talking about. Sorry it's really big!!!!! ;) Zoom out to see the whole pic (control +)

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Years
Such a beautiful dragon indeed (no I'm not a Grimleaf...), a Bug/Dragon would give Giratina and Kyurem a run for their money.

You're right about Dragon being weak against Steel...though as you said they could give it a high BST like Rayquaza.

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2013
I'm curious on what types are they, but I also have my own speculation.
As everyone says, I also think that Yveltal would be a Dark-Flying type.
And about Xerneas.. Um.. I think it would be a Fighting-Metal Type.

And I prefer Xerneas than Yveltal. :D

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like Yveltal might be a Flying/Psychic or Dragon/Psychic just based off of appearances, but it's appearance and color scheme sort of screams those types to me. I honestly have no idea of what types Xerneas might be. I'm not sure if it's just the shadows from the pictures, but it has a Dark-type appearance to it. Maybe dual-typed with Ground, Dark, or Grass?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I myself, wanna know what Xerneas and Yveltals abilities are going to be. Do you think Game Freak is just going to give them Pressure, or will they have new custom-fit abilities that match their theming, like what Reshiram and Zekrom got with their Mold Breaker knock off abilities?

Years
I feel like Yveltal might be a Flying/Psychic or Dragon/Psychic just based off of appearances, but it's appearance and color scheme sort of screams those types to me. I honestly have no idea of what types Xerneas might be. I'm not sure if it's just the shadows from the pictures, but it has a Dark-type appearance to it. Maybe dual-typed with Ground, Dark, or Grass?
It is possible that Xerneas will be Dark seeing how the forest in Europe was connected with mystery, and death. Actually there's fairy tails that were made to keep children from going into the forest (think about how the people of Unova didn't approach the Giant Chasm due to the story, perhaps they'll do another one like that for Xerneas).

Perhaps it'll be Dark/Steel. Yvetal could be Psychic/Fire then.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
It is possible that Xerneas will be Dark seeing how the forest in Europe was connected with mystery, and death. Actually there's fairy tails that were made to keep children from going into the forest (think about how the people of Unova didn't approach the Giant Chasm due to the story, perhaps they'll do another one like that for Xerneas).

Perhaps it'll be Dark/Steel. Yvetal could be Psychic/Fire then.

That would definitely make sense for Xerneas. I had no idea that France had that sort of thing going for it, so Dark definitely makes sense. I'm not totally sold on the Steel typing though. And I feel like another Psychic/Fire legendary right after Victini would be redundant as well.

Years
Well Rock could work too as those horns look like of rock like to me tbh. Dark/Rock could work. Perhaps both legends will be part Dark. Xerneas Dark/Rock, and Yvetal is Dark/Flying.

Years
That's also possible too, since Dialga and Palkia as well as Giratina shared a type in Gen IV, and they did the same thing with Reshiram and Zekrom, so their types don't have to be too different. Assuming they are Dark, it would be safe to assume that Yveltal is of course, Flying and Xerneas seems more like Dark/Steel, but Rock could work, too, I suppose. /shrugs.
Personally I would perfer it be Dark/Steel myself rather than Dark/Rock, it just seems like a much better combo to me.
Also the Johto birds both had Flying. The only mascots with a relationship share at least one type (not counting Suicune as it's relationship is more of a minion to Ho-oh rather than an equal) except for those of Gen 1 and Gen 3's Hoenn games but that's because of the unique trios they had.
Perhaps the third could could be Water/Dark sea serpent.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
Years
It is possible that Xerneas will be Dark seeing how the forest in Europe was connected with mystery, and death. Actually there's fairy tails that were made to keep children from going into the forest...

Mystery and death.... what logic did you apply to end up with Dark? I mean, both of those scream Ghost.

I doubt its either of the two though.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Them both being part Dark type is a good assumption. I can see Skybacon being part Dark, but Jingledeer... it's possible, considering recent legendary duos shared types.

I'm still sure that Skybacon is Dark/Flying though.

Years
Mystery and death.... what logic did you apply to end up with Dark? I mean, both of those scream Ghost.

I doubt its either of the two though.
Well in many cultures darkness is linked with Death and mystery which they associated the forests with, including the french culture. However you have a point, it can be ghost as well (despite it's apperance which seems more dark than ghost tbh).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The only way it can be ghost is if it's dead and I don't think it looks dead because nothing else really shows it looking "ghostly". Yveltal is the better candidate for dark, but yet still not for ghost. Ghost types just generally have a different kind of appeal that's hard to explain.

Back