The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old October 20th, 2012, 02:49 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
Hello everyone tajaros here with another Tutorial. This Tutorial will teach you how to Import your Maps into another Rom.

Things that you would need:
1. Advance Map 1.95
2. Hex Editor (I'll be using HxD)
3. Calculator
4. ROMS (I used Pokemon Firered)
5. Brain

First open you Rom in A-map.
Spoiler:

Then Open the Map that you wanted to Import.

So I'm gonna select Pallet Town as the Map that I'm going to Import. Now go to Header and press Ctrl+H.

Now take note of this things that I encircled.

So PALLET TOWN's Height and Width is 24x20 and the Map Offset is at offset 0x2DD100
Next is Open up your Calculator. (Take note of this.)

Then multiply 24 by 20. (You may not need the Calculator and you may do it manually, but I'm too lazy to do that.) Mine says 480.

Then Multiply it by two since one block in a map is two bytes. Now It's 960

Take note of it 960. Now open up your Hex Editor and goto your Map Offset mine is 0x2DD100 so I'll be going there...

Now goto Edit then Select Block.

Now be sure to have selected "dec" and type in the result you got earlier. Mine was 960 so type in 960. Then Press Ok. Now Copy it by just simple pressing Ctrl+V. And make sure you paste it somewhere like Notepad.

Now Open up the Rom that you wanted to Import your Maps with A-map.
Then Go to the Map that you wanted to Replace. For me it will be VIRIDIAN CITY.

Now the things that I encircled are the one's that we're gonna be changing...

Imagine that the PALLET TOWN MAP is nowhere in the ROM. We're just going to repoint where it loads the data. Now change the Height, Width, Tilesets just like the Map you wanted to Insert.

Now let's find some free space where we can put our map. I'll be using 0xA00000 (You can use any offset you like as long as it has enough free-space on it.) Now Open the Rom with your Hex Editor. And goto to 0xA00000.

Then Paste it using Paste Write or simply Ctrl+B.

Click Save

Open the ROM in A-Map and see if it's changed. Be sure to have everything changed in A-map.

Happy Hacking...

Credits:
LU-HO

If you didn't understand anything or have anymore further questions just contact me via VM/PM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM
Connor96

Nature: Modest
Just wondering, is it possible to import an emerald map into fire red? Let's say I want to insert Littleroot into a fire red rom, can I then create a new map, save it and then just paste littleroot into the game the way you just did it? If not, is this impossible using the fire red rom, or do you need to do a ****load of tile- and palettework?
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:23 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor96 View Post
Just wondering, is it possible to import an emerald map into fire red? Let's say I want to insert Littleroot into a fire red rom, can I then create a new map, save it and then just paste littleroot into the game the way you just did it? If not, is this impossible using the fire red rom, or do you need to do a ****load of tile- and palettework?
For you to import Littleroot town to Fr, I think you need to import the RSE Tile System to FR with all the tilesets and the palletes. And I think it should work if you try to import the code from Emerald to FireRed. Though I'm not sure if the codes are the same.
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:25 PM
quickfire
Unhatched Egg

Pretty cool. I was wondering though, somewhat similar to Conner...

Is there a way to import FireRed tiles into Emerald? I'm trying to make a hack for Emerald and can't seem to find a good way of importing hundreds of tiles. I could do it manually but that'd take ages.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:33 AM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post
Pretty cool. I was wondering though, somewhat similar to Conner...

Is there a way to import FireRed tiles into Emerald? I'm trying to make a hack for Emerald and can't seem to find a good way of importing hundreds of tiles. I could do it manually but that'd take ages.
It won't actually take ages...

Use this thread for that... http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=270288

Though Ruby and Sapphire are the only ones in it.
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:37 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

You can just directly insert a map with advance map 1.90. I'm not sure if the download is available anymore, but it supports this kinda work without the hex editing. Only drawback is that the multi-tile select mapping crashes your ROM with 1.90. As such, I use 1.90 for inserting maps and a newer version for actual mapping :)

EDIT:
I just thought I'd share that, but if you're forgetful and accidentally map on 1.90 then you're gonna have a bad time (most of the time). In which case, this tutorial is the way you should probs do it :)

My name forum name is FBI Agent, though a lot of kids call me FBI because they're lazy. I run an ASM request/resource thread feel free to request me any cool ideas you have!

My current projects:
- Nothing right now. Gief request
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:18 PM
~Anbuja
Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to ~Anbuja
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
You can just directly insert a map with advance map 1.90. I'm not sure if the download is available anymore, but it supports this kinda work without the hex editing. Only drawback is that the multi-tile select mapping crashes your ROM with 1.90. As such, I use 1.90 for inserting maps and a newer version for actual mapping :)

EDIT:
I just thought I'd share that, but if you're forgetful and accidentally map on 1.90 then you're gonna have a bad time (most of the time). In which case, this tutorial is the way you should probs do it :)
I might be wrong, excuse me if I do, but a-map 1.92 does the exact same thing you mentioned there.

I remember searching in a-map 1.95 for this feature, but wasn't able to find it.
But I certainly remember one a-map doing this, and since i never used 1.90 it just has to be 1.92.

Anyways since I never really used this thing,Idk about any errors that can occur while doing it by just loading.
So it might be hte best way to import it this way.

Nice tut tajaros:)
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:25 PM
FBI agent
Imagine something beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja's_BlooDY View Post
I might be wrong, excuse me if I do, but a-map 1.92 does the exact same thing you mentioned there.

I remember searching in a-map 1.95 for this feature, but wasn't able to find it.
But I certainly remember one a-map doing this, and since i never used 1.90 it just has to be 1.92.

Anyways since I never really used this thing,Idk about any errors that can occur while doing it by just loading.
So it might be hte best way to import it this way.

Nice tut tajaros:)
I don't think 1.92 lets you replace maps, does it? It just makes Pallette town 3.66 right? I don't know I'll have to double check :P

My name forum name is FBI Agent, though a lot of kids call me FBI because they're lazy. I run an ASM request/resource thread feel free to request me any cool ideas you have!

My current projects:
- Nothing right now. Gief request
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM
TweenyTodd
Quitting cuz i got a job

Nature: Sassy
Let's say I want to take a map from a newer gen. Could I make my own Sandgem map, then replace Virdian with that? (Think of me as an expert mapper, even though i'm not)
If it can't be done plz tell me, cuz i don't want to ask someone to help me do something impossible.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:31 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweenyTodd View Post
Let's say I want to take a map from a newer gen. Could I make my own Sandgem map, then replace Virdian with that? (Think of me as an expert mapper, even though i'm not)
If it can't be done plz tell me, cuz i don't want to ask someone to help me do something impossible.
No, the data for the 4th and 3rd gen are different, I guess you have to redraw everything so it will look like Sandgem Town.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:32 AM
TweenyTodd
Quitting cuz i got a job

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
No, the data for the 4th and 3rd gen are different, I guess you have to redraw everything so it will look like Sandgem Town.
So it would work if I made my own map? I wanted to know because I plan on replacing all of the Sevii islands with the Sinnoh regions. I would rather copy and paste someone else's work and give them credit, because I REALLY don't like mapping. I prefer scripting and HEX editing. They're so much easier for me.

I'll give it my best shot.
TweenyTodd
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:51 AM
theRiolvile
Thelucaman

Nature: Adamant
So do the map look the same as the prevous map
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Spherical Ice

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Yeah AMap 1.9.2 lets you insert maps flawlessly just using the save/open/insert features.
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:23 PM
tajaros
Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRiolvile View Post
So do the map look the same as the prevous map
Yes, I just used the map of Pallet Town as an example you can import any maps as long as you have the same tileset and mapsize.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:12 PM
superluke

How do you delete Maps from AdvanceMaps?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links