The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pokemon X 153 34.85%
Pokemon Y 194 44.19%
Both 92 20.96%
Voters: 439. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:47 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
There's nothing exactly to strictly indicate that it's Dragon. It does share some similarities(VERY vague ones) with Cobalion at most, which led a small part of me to believe that it was somehow part fighting(especially seeing the sword-like legs, but that could be just for style), but eh. I mean, I guess it would seemingly work as far as typing goes, what with Xerneas being Fighting and Yveltal being Dark, so if we count secondary types...

Xerneas theoretically -COULD- be Fighting/Grass, and Yveltal could be Dark/Flying, so they're both equal to each other. Fighting is super effective against dark, not effective against flying, whilst Flying is 4x supereffective to Xerneas.

Fighting/Grass is a horrible type combination competitively but it might make sense if these legendaries are on equal ground. That is, if they aren't a Groudon/Kyogre and one has a massive advantage over the other, anyway. In which case, Yveltal could have that specific advantage...
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:11 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Fighting/Grass is a horrible type combination competitively but it might make sense if these legendaries are on equal ground. That is, if they aren't a Groudon/Kyogre and one has a massive advantage over the other, anyway. In which case, Yveltal could have that specific advantage...
I'd hope that they wouldn't give one a giant advantage to one over the other, it just seems silly to me. If anything I'd like them to share one type and have the second one to be neutral to whatever their design provides (Mew/Mewtwo, Ho-Oh/Lugia, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, Reshiram/Zekrom). Outside of Gen 3 it's been done, and it generally makes sense.
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:43 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I'd hope that they wouldn't give one a giant advantage to one over the other, it just seems silly to me. If anything I'd like them to share one type and have the second one to be neutral to whatever their design provides (Mew/Mewtwo, Ho-Oh/Lugia, Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, Reshiram/Zekrom). Outside of Gen 3 it's been done, and it generally makes sense.
Except it's hard to really discern what type they really share. Of course, what most people are agreeing on when concerning Yveltal is Dark/Flying. For obvious reasons, there's no actual evidence or anything to suggest that Xerneas is a flying-type whatsover. That being said, the only other type we have left to go on is Dark, right? Especially since half of it's body appears to be black, and that's what a large majority of dark-types share: a dark body, and if not that, some sort of obvious foreboding or mischevious air about them, and usually it's obvious by their design, anyway. So that might possibly be it?

So would it possibly make more sense if they share Dark as a type, and maybe Xerneas' other type is Dragon? Going by what you said, if it's true that the secondary types are neutral to each other, Flying and Dragon are both neutral, and if that's the path GF is taking nowadays, then it would make the most sense. XD
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:54 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I could definitely see it as a Dark/Dragon and Xerneas as either Dark/Fighting or Dark/Grass. It might be weird for Game Freak to make only one of the two mascots a Dragon type, but honestly I have no problem with it. There's already enough Dragon legendary Pokémon as it is.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:17 AM
Aslan
the pretender

Now that I've actually thought about this carefully, I like them both equally. Compared to some other legendary designs I've seen they're sleek and badass! Also it's interesting how Yveltal is essentially a flying Y, while Xerneas horns are crossed in an X, I like how Game Freak cleverly put it there.

And I'm agreeing with Jake :3, honestly Game Freak went overboard with dragon-type legendaries. I'm tired of seeing them making a return, generation after generation when there are so many more countless possibilities out there. Yveltal has the look for a dragon-type though honestly but I'd also say there's quite a chance its a Dark/Flying.

As for Xerneas, I'm actually not too sure :B. Originally I was thinking of a grass and fighting but now I'm moving onto more unusual combos such as Grass/Steel, it'd be an interesting legendary to see :B. What do you guys think? :3

no matter what happens
i wont give in
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
As for Xerneas, I'm actually not too sure :B. Originally I was thinking of a grass and fighting but now I'm moving onto more unusual combos such as Grass/Steel, it'd be an interesting legendary to see :B. What do you guys think? :3
Well, like I said, Xerneas lacks any bodily features to strongly indicate that it's a grass Pokemon. Usually they have a green-ish skin somehow, or some part of the body would be covered in leaves, something like that, and I just don't see it in Xerneas. @_@
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:29 AM
Forever
let it go

I can see it being grass purely because it looks like Virizion and is in a forest ;_;
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Whoa, I never implied that I think Xerneas would be Ghost (notice how I ended the post with "I doubt its either"?). I was just saying the supposed reasoning would have been more of an argument for Ghost than Dark, as Dark is as much about darkness as Ghost, whereas death and mystery scream Ghost (Dark is actually called Evil in japan because its about sneaky unfair dishonest tactics).

I'll stand behind Grass and Dark/Flying till the types are revealed.

Anyway,
why does someone always bring up "balanced type match-up" for the legendary duo?
Its not like that matters the slightest bit. Kyogre > Groudon the end.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTjA View Post
Whoa, I never implied that I think Xerneas would be Ghost (notice how I ended the post with "I doubt its either"?). I was just saying the supposed reasoning would have been more of an argument for Ghost than Dark, as Dark is as much about darkness as Ghost, whereas death and mystery scream Ghost (Dark is actually called Evil in japan because its about sneaky unfair dishonest tactics).

I'll stand behind Grass and Dark/Flying till the types are revealed.

Anyway,
why does someone always bring up "balanced type match-up" for the legendary duo?
Its not like that matters the slightest bit. Kyogre > Groudon the end.
You got a point, however as I mentioned earlier in either this thread or in General chat Groudon and Kyogre made sense as water is more vast than land thus they aren't equal unlike say Zekrom and Reshiram.

Also I fear that if they did make one stronger type wise it may come off as one chromosome is better than the other...very bad implication there.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Also I fear that if they did make one stronger type wise it may come off as one chromosome is better than the other...very bad implication there.
Kind of doubt it. I think that, if anything, they'll probably make them neutral towards each other.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Kind of doubt it. I think that, if anything, they'll probably make them neutral towards each other.
Either that or they'll be super-effective against each other like Zekrom and Reshiram were.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I think Xerneas and Yveltal look very different and each has their own "personality".
Xerneas looks like a wise, forest spirit type Pokemon, that protects others and stands for what is right.
Yveltal seems more like a Havoc and Destruction bringing Preying bird Pokemon, which is totally badass!! So far i like Yveltal more, because his design is really cool

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
Either that or they'll be super-effective against each other like Zekrom and Reshiram were.
Talking of Reshiram/Zekrom, I can't wait to see what kind of special moves they have. I loved Reshiram/Zekrom's and I feel like these are going to have awesome moves, maybe DNA based??
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Reshiram and Zekrom really did have some awesome moves! DNA based attacks sounds like a cool theory, although i can't come up for an example right now

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Forever
let it go

Maybe like Helix Shock and Helix Cloak. Cloak to... cloak in darkness from Yveltal, and shock to shock in terms of hitting hard with metal?? idk. :(
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I feel that the moves they're going to have are going to be much more offensive than defensive, as is usual the case with unique moves specific to mascot legendaries (I haven't really hard if a defensive move that only a mascot legendary has, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). That said though, I feel that both of their moves would have something to do with manipulating DNA of some sort, maybe manipulate your Pokemon's type as some sort of side-effect. That'd be interesting. @_@
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
I feel that both of their moves would have something to do with manipulating DNA of some sort, maybe manipulate your Pokemon's type as some sort of side-effect. That'd be interesting. @_@
This sounds like a really cool idea, I'd love to see that! Maybe the attacks could randomize the user or the opponent's type, or maybe change the opponents type to one that is weak to the legendaries type

Old March 14th, 2013, 12:49 PM
MiTjA
Poké-atheist

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MiTjA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
You got a point, however as I mentioned earlier in either this thread or in General chat Groudon and Kyogre made sense as water is more vast than land thus they aren't equal unlike say Zekrom and Reshiram.

I don't get it.. why would anyone think it implies some gender superiority or whatever you are getting at? Its types. If one is weak to the other, type chart happens.
Dialga has a SE STAB against Palkia, does that imply time is better than space? No.
They pick types that make sense for the legendaries. Maybe they take more into consideration (like the awesomeness factor), but this is certainly not what.

There is no reason to think they ever cared about competitive balance between mascot legends in the past, why would they now?
But there is evidence to the contrary, Kyogre completely beats Groudon competitively on every imaginable level, yet plot-wise they are presented as perfect counterparts.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

The problem that that would possibly imply is that if one chromosome is better than the other, then it's saying it's the superior gender. It's silly, but it has consequences that they don't really want to go against. However if that determines what they do for the typing of the legendaries I'd be upset, since it's pretty silly in nature.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:21 PM
DarkReality
Unhatched Egg

There are a lot of possiblities with the typings of Xerneas and Yveltal.
Imo, i think Yveltal would be dark flying and Xerneas would be ice psychic. It's pretty hard to guess Xerneas's typing lol. In the trailer when Xerneas takes a step, you see something like mist appear and when it zooms out there is mist around Xerneas, thats why i think Xerneas would be part ice. But it's strange cuz it does not fit the foresty background it's in. I think it would be psychic so it would be weak to dark(yveltal). Also, both of the leg have an advantage.
ice>flying
Dark>psychic

Another thing is that Yveltal could be part ghost. either ghost/flying or ghost/dark with levitate such as flygon (dragon/ground)
What leads me to believe that is because it has blue eyes which it zooms in on and it seems blind. In a norse legend the "bird/dragon" is supposed to be a ghost or something supernatural.What do u guys think?

Last edited by DarkReality; March 14th, 2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: mistake
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

I can see Yveltal as a flying type, maybe even a Dark type. Ghost could be possible i guess, but I don't think there is enough evidence to support that. As far as Xerneas goes though, i have a completely different feeling about his typing. I think Ice is really unlikely, as you said yourself, he is shown in a forest, so I'd place my bet on Grass rather than Ice. Psychic would fit though, maybe even Ghost. Or we might all be susprised and they both get a new type (maybe the same Sylveon will have) + something else (Flying and Grass maybe?)

Old March 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I'm really rooting against a new typing for the legendaries. I'm hoping they share a common type with each other (and in this case I'm hoping either Psychic or Dark), and then have their own secondary typing that's neutral or super-effective against the other. Gives them a sense of balance I guess.
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

I like the idea of the Legendaries sharing a type, especially if their second typing makes them super effective against each other. I just can't think of a combination that would fit...let's say they both are psychic. Yveltal does look like a flying type, Xerneas could be a grass type...but that would be unfair against Xerneas right?
On the other Hand, Kyogre was super effective against Groudon, so...

Old March 16th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
I feel that the moves they're going to have are going to be much more offensive than defensive, as is usual the case with unique moves specific to mascot legendaries (I haven't really hard if a defensive move that only a mascot legendary has, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!). That said though, I feel that both of their moves would have something to do with manipulating DNA of some sort, maybe manipulate your Pokemon's type as some sort of side-effect. That'd be interesting. @_@
Or... manipulate the opposing legendaries' forme? And on everything else reverse all the stats?? Actually I wonder if these legendaries might get alternate formes!
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Actually I wonder if these legendaries might get alternate formes!
I'm really not the biggest fan of alternate forms, so i hope they don't. I think alternate forms are pretty fitting for some pokemon, especially Arceus, but it has been pretty much overused in legendaries, at least that's my opinion. And besides the Fusion feature in B2/W2, the 2 mascot legendaries have always only had one form, so i hope it stays that way

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here