• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New moves speculation!

Do you think this was a hint to a upcoming move in X & Y

• Total voters

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I feel like aggressive hazards would almost be just...awkward. You have to waste three turns to get something that only lasts temporarily (One to switch-in, one to set it up, and the last to more than likely switch out again to use the Pokémon you want to set-up). At the same time these could almost be (it's such a buzz word but I can't think of anything better) centralizing to the metagame. Almost like they'd be relied upon to set something up. Of course you wouldn't NEED to, but it'd be much easier to set up something like Dragonite/Salamence/<insert dragon here> with Charcoal up, as their best counters are Steel types. If something is losing 50 percent of it's health switching in (assuming it's just 2x super effective) WITHOUT taking other hazards into affect just seems overpowered as heck. I mean the self-diminishing concept seems like a good way to balance it out, but after the first initial switch-in it's not going to matter much.

To even beat that you would almost have to run ridiculous sets. Scarf Starmie would resist both examples you gave and be able to Rapid Spin them (assuming they're able to be spun away) or outspeed them and hopefully KO them with Ice Beam (Just using the example I gave), or maybe Scarf Gengar with HP Ice (Again, assuming Levitate bypasses them), but even then you're forced to run something with a Scarf to either KO or knock away the hazards, not both. Just seems overpowered to me.

However, on moves that could inflict status upon yourself after using them, I can see that as viable, but unless that thing has Guts or Toxic Heal or something it's almost useless.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'll like a Dark version of Giga drain, one that looks sinister and deprives the victim of their hp and gives them to the user. Or maybe even a Dark version of leech seed...maybe something like Deep Darkness (which hurts the pokemon and gives the user the life energy being seeped out). Hope that's not too eerie for a pokemon game...

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 11, 2018
I was reading this thread earlier, and I have been trying to organize my thoughts for the past few hours and figure out how I want to share them, but so far my efforts have been unsuccessful. So, I will just put them out there, regardless of how scattered they are.

- A new Pokemon game on a new system affords Game Freak the perfect opportunity to overhaul the move set system.

- I feel Game Freak needs to innovate in the area of move sets and to redesign the move sets of every Pokemon, in spite of the practical difficulties of such an undertaking.

- One area that needs special attention is the suitability of the moves each Pokemon learn for their stats and their type. For example, Flareon has a much higher attack than special attack, yet it does not learn a single physical Fire move. Another example is Zigzagoon (and other Normal types, such as Clefairy, Zangoose, and Audino), who can learn Ice Beam, Blizzard, Thunder Bolt, Thunder, Shadow Ball, and Surf, among other moves, in spite of the fact there are no good reasons a Tiny Raccoon species should be able to learn such moves.

- There should be signature moves for the starter Pokemon and for legendaries to distinguish them from other Pokemon and to preserve their uniqueness.

- A better balance needs to be struck between moves used primarily for in-game play and moves used primarily for competitive play. My perception is that, since Ruby and Sapphire, Game Freak has been placing increasing emphasis in their games on competitive play than the in-game experience. With the prevalence of wireless connectivity today, this emphasis is understandable; but for people like me - who prefer completing the story and simply raising Pokemon more than battling competitively - a better balance would be welcome.

- There need to be better TMs, and Gym leaders should hand out more special TMs. For example, why not have Cheren hand out Return; Roxie, Poison Jab; Burgh, X-Scissor; Elesa, Thunder Bolt; Clay, Earthquake; Skyla, Aerial Ace; Drayden, Dragon Pulse; and Marlon, Water Pulse?

- For those who say there are not enough moves for certain types, such as Dark, Steel, and Dragon, you have to consider that those types are less common than many other types, so naturally there are going to be fewer moves for those types. Moreover, for those who say that Dark needs to have more powerful attack moves, consider that the Dark type is about strategy, so you should expect more strategic moves for that type than offensive moves. I think Dark Pulse and Night Slash are sufficiently powerful moves for the Dark type.

- All the Pokemon stats need to be recalibrated, including the attack and special attack stats. The power is getting out of hand, and the accuracy of many moves is diminishing. I would like to see more balanced moves.

These are just general observations and thoughts, nothing too specific. I am sure I could come up with more upon further reflection.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
- There should be signature moves for the starter Pokemon and for legendaries to distinguish them from other Pokemon and to preserve their uniqueness.

I agree entirely! There was nothing really in the previous generations just for the starters and something to make them stand out is awesome. Legendaries normally have that but not for all. If there was a choice between legendaries and starters, I'd go with the starters really because I think there's so much potential for awesome moves. Something involving nuts, tails and bubbles I definitely see as possible for them!

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
As well as some of the moves I've listed earlier I think there should be more powerful physical moves with the added ability to trap the target. In other words moves which are more powerful and has a wider distribution than Clamp and Sand Tomb would be quite useful. Maybe some of the existing moves such as Hammer Arm, Body Slam and Smack Down would appreciate the trapping side effect.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
How about new weather moves? I'd like to see one day is Darkness as a weather. Yep, the kind you've encountered in caves since Gen. I and (never bothered to) banish with Flash. Maybe a move called Blackout?

Don't know too much about its battle effects, though. Knowing GameFreak, they would probably give it accuracy-reducing effects. This would suck for the metagame, but that isn't very important in the big picture. We'd send it the way of DrizzleSwim, Double Team and Brightpowder. Us banning it wouldn't prevent GameFreak from putting it in their games.

Darkness could just as well be a boon to Ghost- and Dark-Pokémon too/instead. It could boost any single of their stats except for Speed and Accuracy, and I'd be content (NOTE: Not all of them at the same time. I just say that it could work just as well for either raising their evasion, their offensive stats, or their defensive stats).
Most Dark moves have pretty low base power, so perhaps it could work well as an offensive boost, similar to Water moves in Rain and Fire in Sun.

It could even work as a bonus for "sneaky" playstyles. For instance, doubling passive damage or increase the chance of side effects happening. After all, everything gets worse in the dark.

pokemanmdj

Random Passerby
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2016
Personally wanting some more physical water moves. Maybe some like Flare Blitz, but Water type or something- something that'll help a Pokemon like Feraligatr physically- instead of just Waterfall and Aqua Jet.

Years
I agree entirely! There was nothing really in the previous generations just for the starters and something to make them stand out is awesome. Legendaries normally have that but not for all. If there was a choice between legendaries and starters, I'd go with the starters really because I think there's so much potential for awesome moves. Something involving nuts, tails and bubbles I definitely see as possible for them!
Well the Hoenn starters had Blaze Kick, Muddy Water, and Leaf Blade but soon those moves were given to other pokemon :( I also expected the Unova starters to be the only ones to learn Razor shell, Leaf Tornado, and Flame Charge (it turned out Tepig was the only one who actually got one only it was Heat Crash instead of Flame Charge). Also the Kanto starters had the starter hyperbeams as signature moves until gen IV (the Johto one's had them but that was an event in XD irc).

Hopefully they can give them real ones...ones they don't give to other pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
I'll like a Dark version of Giga drain, one that looks sinister and deprives the victim of their hp and gives them to the user. Or maybe even a Dark version of leech seed...maybe something like Deep Darkness (which hurts the pokemon and gives the user the life energy being seeped out). Hope that's not too eerie for a pokemon game...

Hey I thought of the same thing a couple of days go! A dark - type version of giga drain, I thought of naming this move 'Nosferatu'. I think nosferatu is German for vampire, which would make sense for this move because it steals the enemy's hp - much like vampires steal the enemy's blood.
Although the main reference for this move is from the game 'fire emblem', there exists a spell called Nosferatu which, of course, steals the enemy's hp and adds it to your shaman. Besides, just saying Nosferatu makes you feel awesome. :cool:

This move would be a great asset to Hydreigon. Many people you fight will spam U-Turn on Hydreigon - lowering it's health, and since this pokemon is a powerful special attacker, it should do some serious damage PLUS heal it's health!

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Personally wanting some more physical water moves. Maybe some like Flare Blitz, but Water type or something- something that'll help a Pokemon like Feraligatr physically- instead of just Waterfall and Aqua Jet.

idk I guess there's Crabhammer? Maybe there's something else like uhh--actually what about a Water-based Punch?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Stronger ghost, yeah, but dark does have a lot as it is already. Night Slash, Sucker Punch, Pursuit...

Then the physical side for ghost only really has Shadow Punch so idk. :x

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Really looking forward to a move that let's the Pokemon remove it's own ability. Slaking/Regigigas/and Arechops would be pretty scary if they can learn it.

Years
Hey I thought of the same thing a couple of days go! A dark - type version of giga drain, I thought of naming this move 'Nosferatu'. I think nosferatu is German for vampire, which would make sense for this move because it steals the enemy's hp - much like vampires steal the enemy's blood.
Although the main reference for this move is from the game 'fire emblem', there exists a spell called Nosferatu which, of course, steals the enemy's hp and adds it to your shaman. Besides, just saying Nosferatu makes you feel awesome. :cool:

This move would be a great asset to Hydreigon. Many people you fight will spam U-Turn on Hydreigon - lowering it's health, and since this pokemon is a powerful special attacker, it should do some serious damage PLUS heal it's health!

Actually that's what inspired me to think of it :3

A move to remove one's own ability...yikes Slacking and Regigigas will become OU if not Uber (ironically they share the same type and the same total base stat). I want this to happen!

Years
More strong Ghost type moves and physical Water type moves. Maybe more Bug type moves too.

Heck, loads more moves of every kind :P

Chaos Fork

Anything Goes
Years
Or more fighting special moves? Instead of just Aura Sphere and Vacuum Wave? Either that or a signature move for Rayquaza. Cmon, his ability doesn't do much and he needs some way to show off his raw power. Maybe make it flying type and physical

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Stronger ghost, yeah, but dark does have a lot as it is already. Night Slash, Sucker Punch, Pursuit...

Then the physical side for ghost only really has Shadow Punch so idk. :x

Ghosts have Shadow Claw as well, but that's about it =/ All they really have for viable attacks is Shadow Punch, Claw, and Ball. Hex is kind of wonky at best, so I'd love to see more ghost moves.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Or more fighting special moves? Instead of just Aura Sphere and Vacuum Wave? Either that or a signature move for Rayquaza. Cmon, his ability doesn't do much and he needs some way to show off his raw power. Maybe make it flying type and physical

Yeah more special fighting moves would be gr8. Or at least expand Aura Sphere to other Pokemon so they didn't have to rely on Focus Blast so often ;(

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I agree with expanding Aura Sphere to a wider range of Pokemon. Focus Blast is a bit of a gamble, also I'd like to see moves similar to Aura Sphere but for different types with risky moves. Perhaps, Electric, Fire and Ice-type Pokemon could also learn something similar instead of relying on Thunders, Blizzards and Fireblasts although most people just use Ice Beam, Thunderbolt etc., so I'm not too sure if that'd be a good idea. :x

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
How 'bout more recovery moves? Like Slack Off, Recovery, Moonlight, etc, I feel like there totally could be a lot more than what we already have given they're given to only limited Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
How 'bout more recovery moves? Like Slack Off, Recovery, Moonlight, etc, I feel like there totally could be a lot more than what we already have given they're given to only limited Pokemon.

Hooray I'm back on the forum! I haven't really visited as of lately because of other plans in my life.
*Ahem* Anyway, I like the idea of a recovery move that works in a sandstorm, it shall be named:

'Earth Recovery'.
Hey, it was the only name I could think of, don't judge me! Earth Recovery is a similar version of the move moonlight, it heals 3/4 of the user's HP in a sandstorm, 1/2 HP in normal weather, and 1/4 when it is raining or hailing. This move would probably bring Tyranitar up into the Uber leagues though...

Really looking forward to a move that let's the Pokemon remove it's own ability. Slaking/Regigigas/and Arechops would be pretty scary if they can learn it.

I think a move that would permanently suppress a Pokemon' ability would be too extreme, what if you wanted that ability back (not that anyone wants truant, slow start or defeatist, but still)? I think it would make more sense if there was a held item that would disable the user' ability while it is holding it, and the ability would activate again if the item was taken off.
This would make sure that Slaking wouldn't be too overpowered, because the held item that suppresses its ability would prevent it from holding a choice band or sumfin'.
Archeops is a very powerful pokemon, except the only thing letting it down is its ability, if Archeops holds this item he will be almost unstoppable. Imagine how powerful Archeops would be if it used head smash without the defeatist ability!
Even better, what if there was a person in-game that could swap 2 of your Pokemon's ability - for a high price, of course. Swap abilitys so that Archeops has the ability Rock Head, he he heee :rambo:.

Last edited:
Back