The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Battling & Team Building

Notices

Battling & Team Building The forum designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM
halcyonic
hates bulk up talonflame
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I know your problem, Jake(symbol plz). I faced the same problem last night, but have you tried using the Tinyurl link? I tried using that and it worked, for me that is.

But I'm pretty sure it'll pop up pretty soon. Hope this helped, sorry if I suck .-.

sword art online II
phantom bullet

• vm . pm - feel free to contact me
  • server - chat and battle
  • blog - random thoughts and stuff
  • #aerilate- mega pinsir team

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:37 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

I will be picking a random Pokemon everyday at around 5 PM EST for the "Pokemon of the Day" feature. For those that don't know, the POTD is always on either team (or both) in every Randbats match. I figured this would make the Randbats ladder more interesting. Today's POTD is Wigglytuff.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:32 PM
YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias
~Be by my side for Eternity ~

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflare View Post
Minor update to the rules: profanity is no longer allowed on the server. Simply put, PC itself doesn't allow it, so the battle server shouldn't either. I have never seen any good come out of swearing on the server anyway.

edit: Swearing is no longer banned, but excessive swearing is not.
I just wanted to add that even though Swearing is no longer banned, users should not be or shouldn't be posting a emoticon like this:
Spoiler:
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I've seen in it the server and it can be really repetitive to post meaning other users will just copy and paste it, then it appears in the Main chat. It can also disrupt conversations that are pooling around between users. Aside from that it can also be somewhat offensive to some users on the server. I hope this will get passed, so users in the server can be forewarned about it and not posting it, leading to a mute by the drivers or above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever
So apparently there are timestamps, which can appear ugly. If anyone wants to turn them off it's with the following commands:

To turn them off - /timestamps off
To put the timestamps on in minutes - /timestamps minutes
And to put the timestamps on in seconds - /timestamps seconds

They'll appear as default when you enter the server, which is apparently a new thing!

(This is like the first thing I've ever discovered how to turn off/on without checking somewhere, I'm so proud of myself tbh).
That command has been changed just letting everyone know.

it is now this: /timestamps [all|lobby|pms], [minutes|seconds|off]
You need to do: /timestamps (choose option in 1st bracket), (choose option in 2nd bracket)
so it will this for an example: /timestamps all, minutes or /timestamps lobby, seconds

^Hope everyone understands the above command.

Gym Leader Cheren
Partner N'Crime
| Showdown! | PC Family | Pairs

Currently on Hiatus until further notice.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:40 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twihiki_Amias View Post
I just wanted to add that even though Swearing is no longer banned, users should not be or shouldn't be posting a emoticon like this:
Spoiler:
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I've seen in it the server and it can be really repetitive to post meaning other users will just copy and paste it, then it appears in the Main chat. It can also disrupt conversations that are pooling around between users. Aside from that it can also be somewhat offensive to some users on the server. I hope this will get passed, so users in the server can be forewarned about it and not posting it, leading to a mute by the drivers or above.
I don't think it should be banned outright if we allow swearing. This is about the same as posting any other emoticon or random "."s. However, if users spam it too often without contributing much to the discussion, staff can feel free to warn them for spamming.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Eh, not much users (other than 1 in particular) have spammed it in the chat. But, he was promptly warned, and muted anyway.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Powalen

I would like to point out that the new Seasonal Battles are up:

{Seasonal Valentine Venture}

These are double battles that use Valentine colored Pokemon as well as Pokemon that have a counterpart. Such as Nidoking and Nidoqueen, Black Kyurem and White Kyurem, Plusle and Minun, Mandibuzz and Braviary, and many more! Make sure you come by the server to check these battles out while they last.

Old February 12th, 2013, 05:07 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
So I've been feeling this for a long time, and I think I've found a good way to deal with this issue. Because the server isn't exclusive to PC, many other users join the server, and a lot of times they don't speak english. The way it seems to be dealt with, which is something along the lines of, "please speak english here" "speak english, first warning" or even just being straight up muted, doesn't seem right to me. If a user were to break another rule, we wouldn't immediately mute them, and they would have plenty of warnings! I think what it adds up to is the rule being constantly broken, and so patience with non-English speakers has grown thin. Along with this, I think we need to consider the feelings of these people. The rules literally just say "English only." This could easily be interpreted as being somewhat racist (and I know that some people who have broken the rule and who I've then explained the rule to them feel this way). I'm not sure if it's within the power of the admins to change what the rules say, but this should be amended, as no explanation and then no explanation when being muted just makes people angry as we've seen countless times). And I know we don't want to turn people away from the server!

It all boils down to simple miscommunication and lack of patience, I think. And this can be fixed. At the very least, we can provide a summary as to why the rule is why it is, and we could easily just c + p the link. Sure it'd be a bit of a hassle, but at least we'd be trying not to offend people!

I'm honestly really happy to write an explanation, as I feel really bad whenever I PM the people who have been muted, and they're hurt and confused because of it.

So here's a mock version (or real version if it's good enough. :P I'll put it in a spoiler, as this is becoming a long post haha)
Spoiler:

6. English only.

Okay, so yeah this rule seems very blunt. While I didn't write the rule, here are my reasons for enforcing the "English only in the Main Chat" rule:
  • Here's the main reason: This is an English server. Typing another language on the main chat where few to none understand said language, is basically like spam. Not to say a certain language is spam, but it's all in context!
  • Like I said in the reason above, few to none probably understand said language, so whatever you're saying could be an insult, a slight - we don't know.
  • Lastly, most of the time people type a language other than English into the chat, it's to find battles with other speakers of the same language. There are PMs, after all, where you can speak any language you like! (not sure on this) Feel free to speak said language in a battle chat though!
Link for google translator if necessary: http://translate.google.com/

So I think that that's all i wanted to say. Sorry if that seemed... uppity (can't think of the word I want to say, meh) but I feel like it's an issue that's been kind of hanging around for a while now. I hope this is helpful and I didn't come off as too.... uppity. (maybe snobby is the word I'm looking for?) I'm just trying to help! :D
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Powalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolurkIsDaBomb View Post
So I've been feeling this for a long time, and I think I've found a good way to deal with this issue. Because the server isn't exclusive to PC, many other users join the server, and a lot of times they don't speak english. The way it seems to be dealt with, which is something along the lines of, "please speak english here" "speak english, first warning" or even just being straight up muted, doesn't seem right to me. If a user were to break another rule, we wouldn't immediately mute them, and they would have plenty of warnings! I think what it adds up to is the rule being constantly broken, and so patience with non-English speakers has grown thin. Along with this, I think we need to consider the feelings of these people. The rules literally just say "English only." This could easily be interpreted as being somewhat racist (and I know that some people who have broken the rule and who I've then explained the rule to them feel this way). I'm not sure if it's within the power of the admins to change what the rules say, but this should be amended, as no explanation and then no explanation when being muted just makes people angry as we've seen countless times). And I know we don't want to turn people away from the server!

It all boils down to simple miscommunication and lack of patience, I think. And this can be fixed. At the very least, we can provide a summary as to why the rule is why it is, and we could easily just c + p the link. Sure it'd be a bit of a hassle, but at least we'd be trying not to offend people!

I'm honestly really happy to write an explanation, as I feel really bad whenever I PM the people who have been muted, and they're hurt and confused because of it.

So here's a mock version (or real version if it's good enough. I'll put it in a spoiler, as this is becoming a long post haha)
Spoiler:

6. English only.

Okay, so yeah this rule seems very blunt. While I didn't write the rule, here are my reasons for enforcing the "English only in the Main Chat" rule:
  • Here's the main reason: This is an English server. Typing another language on the main chat where few to none understand said language, is basically like spam. Not to say a certain language is spam, but it's all in context!
  • Like I said in the reason above, few to none probably understand said language, so whatever you're saying could be an insult, a slight - we don't know.
  • Lastly, most of the time people type a language other than English into the chat, it's to find battles with other speakers of the same language. There are PMs, after all, where you can speak any language you like! (not sure on this) Feel free to speak said language in a battle chat though!
Link for google translator if necessary: http://translate.google.com/

So I think that that's all i wanted to say. Sorry if that seemed... uppity (can't think of the word I want to say, meh) but I feel like it's an issue that's been kind of hanging around for a while now. I hope this is helpful and I didn't come off as too.... uppity. (maybe snobby is the word I'm looking for?) I'm just trying to help! :D

Personally I agree and think that this was needed. I would feel bad if I came on the server and was muted trying to get an explanation of why I am being warned or whatever. Not everyone that has access to the server can speak English. I think that they should be prevented from talking in the main chat, but we definitely need to try and communicate with them more instead of a threat and instant mute. Maybe us Drivers and up can try to work things out with them in a PM explaining it better rather than just provoking them in the main chat, which often times with get their friends speaking as well and creating more spam. IDK, but this is my something that I wanted to add on because I do feel bad when there are really nice people being muted because all they were doing was looking for a battle.

And also Golurk, your post is very well put and your explanation in the spoiler is very well worded. None of it sounds uppity at all.

Old February 24th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Forever
let it go

Um, the server is temporarily down, it will be fixed when PPN wakes up. :x
Old February 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Um, the server is temporarily down, it will be fixed when PPN wakes up. :x
Okay so since the server is currently down right now, I thought of a backup server for us to all go on

Sever link

This was made by a fellow PC user for unknown reasons, in the meanwhile those of you who are server sick, go on and have fun until PC gets fixed!

Oh and this is just in, there is a new feature on all of the Servers, and once ours is back up everyone will be able to see the change in battles. This is called: "Pixel". Zarel/Bmelts/Cathy of Smogon (Any of those 3) added in this a few hours ago. Simply it is to make it more like the games, meaning better simulate cartridge battle mechanics.

More info (not very much really) can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479665

Gym Leader Cheren
Partner N'Crime

Last edited by YamiNoBlade Twihiki Amias; February 24th, 2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 24th, 2013, 08:53 PM
wolf
on reduced activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolurkIsDaBomb View Post
So I've been feeling this for a long time, and I think I've found a good way to deal with this issue. Because the server isn't exclusive to PC, many other users join the server, and a lot of times they don't speak english. The way it seems to be dealt with, which is something along the lines of, "please speak english here" "speak english, first warning" or even just being straight up muted, doesn't seem right to me. <snip>
First off, I'm sorry for not replying to this sooner, but I don't think this requires a rule change. Instead, a new command ("!eng" or "!english") will be implemented once the server is back up. By using it, it simply broadcasts this message:

Quote:
Please speak only English in this chat. You may speak in other languages only through PMs (click on a username to see the PM option). You will be muted if you do not comply.
- Use Google Translate if you cannot read this.
- PC Battle Server Rules
I don't think any further explanation is required, because they'll be lucky enough just to understand that short message (considering translators aren't always the most accurate). Hopefully this will be more convenient than typing the same message over and over.
Old February 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflare View Post
First off, I'm sorry for not replying to this sooner, but I don't think this requires a rule change. Instead, a new command ("!eng" or "!english") will be implemented once the server is back up. By using it, it simply broadcasts this message:

I don't think any further explanation is required, because they'll be lucky enough just to understand that short message (considering translators aren't always the most accurate). Hopefully this will be more convenient than typing the same message over and over.
I'm glad this command is being implemented, since it will now be a much faster way to inform someone speaking in foreign languages that they need to speak English.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old February 25th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Forever
let it go

Server is now up, by the way ;x
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Correspondence

Yep the server is up but the battle rooms still won't work :c
Old February 25th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Server is now up, by the way ;x
Server is up, but, the Battles are still broken.

When you go into a battle all that is there is the battle window and the battle chat. On the battle window there is that "Join Battle" Button but has no use. And you cannot talk into the Battle chat.

I believe that we shouldn't touch the battles (all tiers) until the issue gets resolved as I fear something worse will happen.

Gym Leader Cheren
Partner N'Crime

Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:00 AM
Powalen

Battles are now working again.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:09 PM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Just wanted to say that the New Seasonal Battles are up. ;] It's called Spring Forward.
More information here : http://www.smogon.com/sim/seasonal

Last edited by Ace.; March 4th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Aslan
the pretender

Hey there! This is Sophie or Aslan, one of the mods over at the PC Battle Server. Quite a few newcomers recently have been asking how you get promoted, what you need to do etc. I'm sure people have explained in the past, but I can't be bothered to check unfortunately. However I will try and clarify along with throw in a few details on some of the things you will need to do, to be considered worthy of moving up a rank! Also please remember rank isn't the world's most precious thing, you can be a regular user and still enjoy the server, regardless of rank. But it is a good thing to have I suppose, so onwards we go!

How to move up... well there a few important things you need to remember. You are not going to get promoted on your first day, setting foot on the server. If that happened, there would be a total imbalance of ranks unfortunately, also things like that don't really work to be honest. Try and be active, if you have been to the server before, think when was the last time you visited? Try and check back regularly, rather than disappear off the face of the Earth, if you want to be considered. :3

What about you as a person? Rudeness and being hurtful to other members, or making them feel very uncomfortable and continuing to do so even if they tell you to stop is not tolerated. Try and be polite, along with helpful towards other members. But remember to always be yourself, don't try and fake a personality, we love people for who they are not a fake personality.

Do you follow all of the rules? Are you a troublemaker? Try and follow all of PC's and the Battle Servers rules while you are chatting. That means spamming, trolling, flaming, harassing or posting pornographic content is prohibited. We like mucking around a bit, as in joking with others and swearing is alright, but try not to use swearing excessively. Also please speak English while on the server, if you cannot understand Google Translate can be provided. However if you continue to do so, you may be muted.

Also there is a golden rule for most things that involve promotions- do not ask or you will not become one. It won't do you any benefit, in fact it might actually do the opposite. Asking for authority will most likely lessen your chances, be patient it will come to you eventually. Asking could even remove your chances, if done repeatedly.

I've been waffling on a bit and to cut straight to the ca- I mean point, generally we look for helpful people, activity and other statistics. Also battling as well, we're a battle server for a reason :x. You don't have to be a legendary trainer but try and do a few battles as well while you're at it. And well that is basically my guide.

Also if you would like to see the ranks for the server, you can always do /groups and check. Other than that thanks for reading and if anyone else would like to add something in or give feedback feel free too :3.

Last edited by Aslan; March 17th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Powalen

Just thought that I would add this link where you can register your name.
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/forum/register

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:46 AM
wolf
on reduced activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicentfan1 View Post
Just thought that I would add this link where you can register your name.
http://www.pokemonshowdown.com/forum/register
We also have a new command called "reglink" or "registerlink" which provides the user this link. The command can be broadcasted like any other informational command. Additionally, the "pc" and "eng" commands are back.

pc battle server • skype: awolffromspace • avatar source
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Just thought I'd let everyone know in case they have been trying to access Pokemon Showdown for the past couple of hours (since about 3pm EST), that it is down, and not for maintenance. The hosting company that Showdown runs on (CloudFlare) is having power issues. CloudFlare is what keeps the server online when it is down, which is indeed is. It's not really CF that's having the issue, it's DreamHost that is having it. The VPS is located in Irvine, California , which is the western part of the US. There have been updates which can be read here: http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2013/...ter-irvine-ca/

If needed you can also check out the #showdown irc for more and to talk about the outage: Showdown IRC

And here is PC's IRC channel: PC IRC

Gym Leader Cheren
Partner N'Crime

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:34 AM
Aslan
the pretender

Hey guys, the server is back! There are only two of us right now so we can't confirm if it's back for certain countries but yeah thought I'd let you all know. We can chat and log in so it seems to be working for now at least. :3
Old March 22nd, 2013, 02:25 AM
Starry Windy
Take a tour ride.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Guys, I want to let you know, that our PC Battle Server's URL has been changed, probably linked to the server problem that Twihiki mentioned earlier:
http://pokecommunity.psim.us/

In case you can't go to old PC Battle Server's URL, click this above link.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr

Last edited by Starry Windy; March 22nd, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old March 24th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Just to let you guys know spammer user names that aren't registered and have been banned can still be used by other members since it only bans the ip not the username. So it's best if you don't try and use a spammer's name so you won't get banned or muted. :x
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Correspondence

A change was made to the HP(Health Points) bar so that the HP bar would show yellow and red coulors when a pokemon's HP is low instead of only green all the time.

More can be read here >> http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3481364

Sponsored Links

Advertise here