The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Pokémon Ruby 26 10.12%
Pokémon Sapphire 29 11.28%
Pokémon Emerald 202 78.60%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:03 AM
Evey
Female Red

Nature: Adamant
In my opinion, they are all equal. Ruby is good if you want a simpler version of hoenn, hate team magma, and like groudons. Sapphire is good if you also want a simpler version of hoenn, hate team aqua, and like kyogres. Emerald is good if you like extras, the battle frontier, and rayquazas. However, if you like Fire-Type Pokemon as myself DON'T CHOOSE Sapphire or Emerald. It will set you up for failure! One reason being that in Sapphire you are going up against an orgamization filled with Water-Types and that you will be facing a Kyogure. In Pokemon Emerald it is bad until oh I don't know....you face the Champion, Wallace, lover of all things water. Steven Stone makes a much better opponent if you like fire-types. In all three games though, they set fire-starters up for failure. Even in Ruby when you go up against Team Magma you don't have much of an advantage. All in all the games are pretty much equal. It just has to do with personal preference truly.
Old February 20th, 2013, 01:38 PM
BENSJAM
Unhatched Egg

I only had emerald , but i thought they where all the same just different pokemon (i thought emerald had them all though) if this is true then emerald.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Twiddle
Stepping on the cracks

Nature: Naive
Emerald's my favorite, just because of the Battle Frontier.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:17 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
Emerald is easily my favorite. The only possible way Ruby or Sapphire can outclass Emerald is due to nostalgia.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
I like Sapphire. Even though Ruby was the first Pokémon game I had ever played, Kyogre and the eternal rain was better than the other. I had finished it like, a twelve times or something. Later on I got Emerald, but I'll still hang on to Sapphire for the intense nostalgia.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old February 24th, 2013, 02:57 PM
The Sly Fox
Community Supporter

I own all three, and love all three, but I think Emerald would be my favorite. Emerald introduced a lot of new cool enhancements from Sapphire and Ruby, including bringing back my favorite aspect, the Pokemon animations last seen in Crystal. Also, both Magma and Aqua were in it, which made the game instantly more fun!

Old February 24th, 2013, 06:55 PM
jaydezzal
Sarcastic Guy

I'd say Emerald for the Battle Frontier alone.

Now I could go on about why I like Emerald the most, but instead I'm going to say why I don't like the others as much.

One reason is the version exclusives. In most games, I feel like I'm really missing something. For example, out of FireRed and LeafGreen, I prefer the exclusives in LeafGreen, but I still feel like I'm missing out on some of my favourites like Golduck and Cloyster. When I play Ruby or Sapphire I don't feel like I'm missing much at all. However in Emerald, I feel like I'm missing out on Medicham and Roselia, which are two Pokemon I'm rather fond of.

Second is how the games just stop after the Elite 4. This was acceptable in Red and Blue, but not Third Gen. I mean come on Second Gen gave us the chance to re-explore Kanto, plus battle Red, the strongest trainer of all. FireRed and LeafGreen had the Sevii Isles plus the revamped Pokemon League. In Ruby and Sapphire, all you get is the Battle Tower and Sky Pillar.

Lastly, is the stories all feel like the same thing. It's kind of hard to describe, but to me it kind of feels like Emerald's the book and Ruby and Sapphire are the movie. They tell the same story, but Emerald is MORE the story. Ruby and Sapphire feel like Emerald with cut corners. It'd be like in the book(Emerald) Wallace is the supposed last challenge, but the Steven comes along bigger and stronger. So in the movie(Ruby and Sapphire) - to save on time - they made Wallace the last Gym Leader (which is LIKE the last challenge), but the you get to the Pokemon League and there's Steven, still the last hurdle. Also in Emerald the whole Team Aqua/Team Magma thing in more complete. I doubt this is making any sense, but basically to me it feels like Ruby and Sapphire are the movie to Emerald's book.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Skylar97
Hack enjoyer

Nature: Jolly
pokemon emerald. i like kicking both teams butts

Thanks for all the great work.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Nature: Quiet
Emerald, mostly because it was my first Pokémon game, and also Rayquaza.
The sad thing is it was my brother's originally. So now its internal battery has died. ;_;

Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Shaturu711

Nature: Gentle
Definitely I'll be going for Emerald, yeah, I like the battle frontier as well as raquaza. Wallace seems to be quite a challenge in these games as his water Pokemon really can kick some butt. Lol, this may sound ridiculous, but I prefer Wallace's emerald battle sprite than Ruby or Sapphire ones. Milotic Forever! :p

Quote:
Eeveextreme Club Profile:

Username: Shaturu711
Partner Pokemon: Umberon

Titles: [None]
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Stygian
誰か

Nature: Hasty
Pokemon Emerald, definitely. It had amazing features compared to R/S, and the plot was amazing. The font was also more pleasing to the eyes.

Last edited by Stygian; March 3rd, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
TouchemonLearner
Bad Egg

Nature: Docile
I got Ruby the Christmas of 2004 from my paternal grandparents and I got Sapphire two days later from my maternal grandparents. After I traded all the Sapphire version exclusives over to Ruby, I traded Sapphire with a kid at school for Blue version. I first played Emerald about 2 years ago and I preferred it because it had more stuff compared to the other two.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:27 AM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Emerald has more content, and it is my only game.

Have you ever seen a chicken strip?
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:41 PM
GardevoirBoy
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to GardevoirBoy
Emerald was the best hands down, better features such as the battle frontier. And you can catch groudon and kyogre. & you can catch rayquaza before you face the Pokemon league which helps alot. And of course I can raise my all time favorite Pokemon from the start, Gardevoir
Old April 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
JustChillin810
xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx

Nature: Brave
Pokémon Emerald was made to improve off of ruby and sapphire. It was incredible and probably one of my favorite games of all time and whoever voted for ruby or sapphire are saying that they believe that the franchise failed at creating a better game

Pikachu is boss!
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM
TBIF

Ruby, Zangoose, Infinite Pick Up, fast play through.
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Cham
Cool Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Cham Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Cham Send a message via Skype™ to Cham
Ruby due to nostalgia, but for gameplay factor Emerald is a close second.
Old April 12th, 2013, 09:13 PM
The Corrupt Plague
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
Emerald, no contest. They packed in a whole lot more and everything in general feels more refined. So much that it's near impossible to go back to Sapphire.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Pokedude3012
Slayer of Milotics

I don't see how anyone can chose anything but Emerald. It's just so much more refined, and you get all of the features of Sapphire/Ruby, but with more as well.
Old April 16th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
It's Emerald for me since it's the latest 3rd gen game and it's when the Battle Frontier is introduced. :3
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Bix Nood

Emerald sort of introduced me to competitive battling.
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

The only third generation game I ever owned myself was Ruby, although I got to play Emerald through friends and such, and I can definitely say that I prefer that over any of the others, which it seem most people agree with me on. I mean, just like most other generations, there isn't many seperate features to distinguish Ruby and Sapphire from each other, other than how they had different version exclusive legendaries, and how Sapphire had Team Aqua as the evil organization, and Ruby had Team Magma. If those two were the only options, I bet a lot of the answers would be biased.

Emerald, however, took a leap forward from the two, with the implemention of much prettier tiles, a slightly altered story-line, and the Battle Frontier. And while it's still very similar to Ruby and Sapphire, I felt that the game experience was better than what I'd experienced with Ruby.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Diversion
Mega Aerodactyl.

Nature: Serious
Emerald, because unlike Ruby and Sapphire it has the Battle Frontier and you can get both Kyogre and Groudon.
Unlike in Ruby and Sapphire, you can only get one of the two mascots depending on the game you have.
Old April 29th, 2013, 06:15 PM
lmcde22

i had sapphire first so it kind of threw me off when i found out that Magma are the bad guys in emerald but i still prefer emerald for the storyline.
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Passenger
Retired
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Ruby - simple, easy, had Vulpix and pickup didn't require higher levels to find rare candies. Awesome for me.

Sponsored Links