The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Chit Chat Café

Notices

Chit Chat Café Wondering what your fellow members are eating for breakfast? Want to chat about the weather or other silly things? Idle chit-chat and polls go here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:46 AM
Stygian
→ contradictory

Nature: Hasty
Do you wear braces? If so, what do you think of them? How were you able to cope with the frustrations in the first few days of wearing your braces? Do you think other people look better with braces?

As for me, I wear braces. I personally think braces are nice and that other people look good when wearing them. I was also frustrated on my first few days, as I really love food, and soup was pretty much the only thing I ate. The poking wires also were irritating. Whenever I have them tightened, it feels like the first day of my braces all over again, except I was able to eat. How about you?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:12 AM
LilJz
Legendary lovers♥

Nature: Quiet
I don't wear braces, but I might wear braces soon after my 4 wisdom tooth are taken out. My two front teeth are pushing themselves in front >.<
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Dakota
she's singing to me

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
I was supposed to wear braces a few years ago, cause one of my teeth is sorta misaligned. But the orthodontist said that to put them on, they'd need to remove my canines, and my mother didn't want that. So nope, no braces. I don't mind, to be honest.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Insomniac
It's so overt it's covert.

I don't understand what the big deal is about braces.

NO ONE I know gets made fun of for wearing them and practically everyone looks wonderful in them. :]

I like my braces. They only hurt for around a day when I get them tightened.

Rubber bands are a different story though. Those things HURT..
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Miss Fortune
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss Fortune
I had braces when I was younger and I hated them, but I think that they actually look nice on people.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Hikamaru
ヒカマル

Nature: Quirky
My teeth may look a bit weird but funnily I don't have braces and if I did it wouldn't be comfortable.

pairs | showdown | tumblr | vm

Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:43 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon

Nature: Lax
I don't wear anything and I never have! I am rather happy about it and my teeth are pretty good, so I am lucky. :)
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
I wore braces for about 3-4 years when I was in grade school and part of high school. Or I think that's when it was--maybe they were out before I was in high school in which case I wore them for significantly less time. I had an impacted tooth that had to be pulled down and I think a slight overbite was fixed as well. After they came out, I wore a permanent retainer for many years which was essentially like reverse braces--on the inner side of my teeth rather than facing out. I put up with them until the year before last and then I got them removed in favour of a nightly retainer instead. I vastly prefer it.

I'm glad I had the dental work done but I don't miss it at all.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Sammi
I ate my usertitle. :(

Nature: Lax
I had braces on and off for like 5-6 years. It's been at least that long since I've had them, so I hardly remember them very much. First I had braces on just my 4 top teeth, and then a little down the road got them all over. Getting my teeth at a decent level took not just braces, but removing a handful of teeth, expanding my upper jaw twice, two different kinds of headgear, and finally, a permanent retainer on my bottom 4 front teeth that I'm not sure if it even needs to be in there anymore... but I can't afford to see a dentist for a teeth cleaning, let alone an orthodontist to see what needs to be done with it.

I'm just glad I didn't have to wear headgear to school. ;___;
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I used to have braces for almost 3 years. They weren't that bad.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:23 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I never had to wear braces, but I do have a fake tooth. The real one got knocked out by an extendable umbrella in 9th grade.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Broken_Arrow
Paper plane~

Nature: Careful
Send a message via Skype™ to Broken_Arrow
No,i don't use braces and i never did...my teeth is okay so it's fine for me!

May Love embrace the world
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:37 PM
TRIFORCE89
Guide of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I wore braces for about 3-4 years when I was in grade school and part of high school. Or I think that's when it was--maybe they were out before I was in high school in which case I wore them for significantly less time. I had an impacted tooth that had to be pulled down and I think a slight overbite was fixed as well. After they came out, I wore a permanent retainer for many years which was essentially like reverse braces--on the inner side of my teeth rather than facing out. I put up with them until the year before last and then I got them removed in favour of a nightly retainer instead. I vastly prefer it.

I'm glad I had the dental work done but I don't miss it at all.
I have the nightly retainer and the permanent retainer o.o

Anyway, I had braces starting in... I think the summer between 7th and 8th grades. They stayed on until hmm... some point before the summer of grade 11 because that's when I got my wisdom teeth out.

In addition to the braces, I also had for the first two years or so something they called a "butterfly". This metal thing that would hang down from the top of my mouth to prevent my tongue from resting against my top front teeth. In addition to that I'd have to insert this metal tool into it every few days and crank it to expand my jaw - which was a strange sensation.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗
Tyrunt

I don't really care if other people have them. I guess I don't pay much attention to the matter.

I had a really bad overbite (my dad used to call me "ferretface" because of it) when I was younger, but it was fixed by two different jaw appliances. One of them was pretty much some metal bars cemented to my teeth, connecting my top and bottom jaw. It just was annoying that sometimes when I opened my mouth too far (even yawning would do it) caused the bars to disconnect, and I'd have to spend time blindly trying to put them back together. It also was horribly painful to have it adjusted, which only had to be done, thankfully.

But people couldn't see it, unless I were to open my mouth and let them see.

Pokemon Y Pokedex entry
My Trade Review Thread
Just a Trade Sh⊗p
Paired to Amaura
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

My mom planned to get me on them years and years ago. Due to financial troubles though, it never happened, and it's all up to me in the distant future if I want them.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
Aslan
B.A.M.F

Nature: Relaxed
My teeth are rather crooked you could say and some are all over the place, so I'll definitely be getting braces soon,after I get all of my wisdom teeth removed ;___;. I don't judge people whether they wear braces or not and honestly it actually looks pretty nice on some people! As for if braces are comfortable or not, I've heard they can be rather painful but other than that they're perfectly fine! :)
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:11 PM
curiousnathan
I will find you

I've never had to have anything put onto my teeth; so you could say I'm really lucky in that respect. I've got to get my wisdom teeth taken out though if they begin to cause trouble or impact on my bottom teeth. (My top ones lay dormant for now), but so far they are fine. I've been lucky enough to grow up with what my dentist regards as ~perfect~ teeth, so I'm happy! BUT, I do clean them regularly and make an extra effort to make sure they're clean and healthy! 8)

moderator |
lovely pair | PC live
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:34 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I used to have braces, (have a retainer now) got them off 12/12/12 (omg just realized how awesome that is!)

They didn't really bother me over the 4 years or so I had them - except for a few circustances. Obviously they were annoying the day after they were tightened, but whenever a wire poked, it would always slide out more little by little and become worse and worse :( Also, it was horrible whenever a chuck of the wire broke. But other than that (and flossing as well) they were fine for the most part, this thing that moved my entire lower jaw forward was MUCH worse. (it was a more modern version of headgear that fits completely in your mouth or something)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi-san View Post
First I had braces on just my 4 top teeth, and then a little down the road got them all over.
I had that too! (except I also had a retainer five months before that) I never understood the concept of them being there, all on their lonesome. Like how is that gonna help? O.O

I wouldn't really say people look better or worse with or without braces. It isn't something I notice.
Old March 4th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I was going to get pair back when I was in year 2/2nd grade but never go them as they said I did not need them.
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Catholic Nun
Back in the habit.

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Catholic Nun
I escaped my teen years without having to have braces, which I am very thankful for. I had enough stuff taking away my self-confidence without adding that little nugget in there too lol.

I don't think other people look better with braces, but I do think they're well worth the time you have to wear them. They make you look better for the rest of your life once they're off! :D

Moderator of Chit Chat Cafe
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Fire Heart
Reject Revolving Door

Nature: Sassy
I have braces yes, I can't imagine not having them on actually, I am used to them. I must admit, I like them.
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling

I had braces for four years and a bit :/// I had an enormous overbite and a huge gap, sooo yeeeah :( Took three years of headgear and four years of elastics (plus a herbst along the way) to fix it :( Luckily my teeth are perfect now so whatever!!!
Old March 18th, 2013, 12:33 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

I've never worn braces but I need them to correct my TMJ because I have a crossbite. When I close my mouth my jaw locks in place so that's given me TMJ over the years, cause my parents didn't want to put me in braces in the typical middle school years like everyone else haha :\

And I have some slight crowding in my lower front teeth, it would be nice to get that fixed!

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I've never had to wear braces, thankfully, but my brother has! However, when getting my wisdom teeth out, my teeth shifted slightly and it really bothers me. It's not noticeable to anyone else, and they are still fairly straight but I can feel it with my tongue (the change) and it is bothersome because I want them to be absolutely perfect!
Old March 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3

I used to wear braces and I hated them. I hated the way they felt on my teeth and they hurt, I dont really want braces again, though I hear Invisalign is not better and really hurts also.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links