The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Should the GB cries from Generations I and II be replaced in X and Y?
Yes; they'll sound really out of place in a new generation. 12 36.36%
Yes; some of those cries were identical, anyway. 5 15.15%
No; the old cries are way too memorable to get rid of. 13 39.39%
No; I don't think the GB cries could ever be improved upon. 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (03:36 PM).
Blue Emerald
One of life's great mysteries

Nature: Naive
With each new generation of Pokemon, the cries for each new generation have become more complex and higher in fidelity. So, with the stronger sound quality in 3DS games, it should come as no surprise if the new Pokemon's cries sound even better than the past generations'. However, the Pokemon from Generations I and II have kept their GB-quality cries ever since the series began.

These Pokemon did get better-sounding cries in the two Stadium games, but they've never been used outside those games. What do you guys think? Should Game Freak swap the GB sounds for the Stadium cries (or maybe even better ones), or should they keep them?

I, for one, think it's about time they retired the old GB cries. As cool as they were, they're starting to clash with the past few generations; even Generation III's cries still sound decent to this day. I think the older Pokemon ought to sound less out of place amongst all the other generations. I don't even think it would even be that much work; all the new cries have already been done for them. They'd just need to switch each Pokemon's GB cry with the ones from the Stadium games.
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (03:40 PM).
Sydian
revolution

Nature: Timid
I think they can stay. It would be weird to hear them sound another way and if they've made it this long, I don't see why they'd change them now.

Play the game to change the game
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (03:42 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Updated cries would be nice. They don't have to change much, just... make them sound less Gameboy-ish. I'd be fine with generic roars, they don't have to say their own names, but... just a little more than "beepbeepbeep" in various pitches. The first 150 Pokémon haven't changed cries since 1996, and it really shows.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (04:12 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
It would be strange at first, I mean these are cries we've been familiar with for years now, but I think we'd eventually get used to it. So I wouldn't be totally against the idea of it happening. It would be nice after all if some of the Pokémon who share cries now from those generations can acquire their own cries in X and Y with updated sound quality.
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (04:27 PM).
D Dog master of war
Pokkén Tournament Champion

Nature: Docile
all the crys from gen 1-4 needs up too date crys like B/W Technology crys....because in Pokémon Saditm 1 and 2 the Pokemon crys where amazing,and they sound better then B/W 5th gen Pokés....PLEASE GAMEFREAK UPDATE CRYS

I am A fighting Champion!!!

3DS FC: 3652-1583-8114
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (04:49 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I think the QUALITY of the cries could definitely be updated, but I wouldn't want new cries all together. if it's the sound the Pokémon has been making since 1996, there's no sense in changing the entire thing. If it's all the same pitches and everything, but not simple Gameboy sound effects that would be nice.
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (07:15 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
I think they should be changed, it's weird when Caterpie and Goldeen sound the same... Or Charizard and Rhyhorn. If they updated the art, why can't they update the sounds?

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (07:56 PM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I don't want the classic Pokemon cries replaced, I'd rather want them updated with the new improved sound technology.
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (08:30 PM).
Starry Windy
Show Your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I think the GB Pokemon cries could be updated and improved, but still retain the same cry feel as before (like in Pokemon Stadium).
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old Posted March 3rd, 2013 (11:40 PM).
SaniOKh
The Cynical Completionist

Nature: Lonely
I, for one, don't want them to be updated at all in any shape or form.
I think that if all games after Stadium have the original cries, neither does Game Freak.

Friend codes:
Electric-type Safari: 4468-2370-5617 (Electrode - Pikachu - Galvantula) | Dark-type Safari: 1134-8222-3179 (Nuzleaf - Cacturne - Liepard)
PM before adding. If you don't mention which code you added, I will NOT add you back.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (02:18 AM).
Alinthea
James Sunderland
Community Supporter

I would be very annoyed if they changed the cries of the older Pokemon in X/Y. There is no real reason to change them and they would only be ruining the memory for the older players/lovers of the I/II generations.

They should be left as they are. :)
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (03:55 AM).
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
Interesting thread topic! I was thinking this the other day while playing HeartGold. In HGSS, for the first half of the game you only meet Gen I + II Pokemon, as well as some Gen II evolutions that were only introduced in Gen IV. What's funny is, the cries of all the Gen I and II Pokemon are strictly 8 bit noises, whereas all the other Pokemon's cries are significantly.. not.

With Gen VI on the 3DS, I have no doubt that the sound quality of the new Pokemon's cries will be immensely better. And if I'm honest, I wouldn't really mind if they updated the older cries, so long as they kept the general sound they have now. Looking at Pokémon Stadium (while that's going back dammmmmmmn far), they had more realistic renditions of the Pokemon cries. If they did something like that, but kept them a bit more similar to the actual Pokemon cries heard in the main games until now, then I'd be pleased!

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (04:38 AM).
Archeops12354
Smoochum

You know what I think? I think GameFreak should give you the option at the start of the game, whether you want the new cries for the older pokemon, or are just happy with the good ol' cries from your childhood. I would honestly like newer cries for the older pokemon, I really don't like the cries from gen 1 and 2. Some of them were alright I suppose, but the majority were just plain annoying, especially Electabuzz's cry - the most annoying of them all.

I think GF should give you the choice of older/newer cries because I don't like the older cries, but at the same time I feel that other people should have the right to have the original cries and re-live their nostalgia. Plus, giving players that option will create a lot less complaining from those gen 1'ers that want the old cries back.

Gen 6.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (05:56 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I've never really paid too much attention to the cries much, which initially should say that I shouldn't really care either way whether or not Gamefreak changes them. Part of me does, and yet part of me doesn't. If they do decide to change them, then it's whatever, it might take a good while for some people to be adjusted to, but I imagine most wouldn't be too distraught. But like most others said, it wouldn't make sense for them to, especially after keeping them for such a long time. The part of me that does care just kind of wants them to stay for the sake of consistency.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (07:33 AM).
Correspondence

I'd say its a bit too late to change the cries itself but since X/Y will be in 3DS the quality definitely should be changed.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (09:27 AM).
Boilurn
Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
I think they should change the cries. When I got Pokemon White (Which was my first game) I didn't expect the old Pokemon's cries to sound so fuzzy compared to the new ones. I hope that they change this and make them sound more realistic than before.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (09:30 AM).
Forever
let it go

Updated cries only so they don't repeat is all that's really necessary but even still that's a good thing! So I don't really mind if they choose to update them - hopefully they do :3
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (09:34 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I think they should at least update them, and remix those which are shared with other Pokémon such as Paras and Mew.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (09:44 AM).
voicerocker
Psyduck

I say keep them. Changing the cries will only be extra, unneeded work that really won't affect gameplay or anything at all. And the cries identify which Generation these Pokemon come from. Each Generation sounds different from the others, even if it's just slightly. And even though they did give them updated cries for Stadium and Stadium 2, those were not reused for Colosseum, Gale of Darkness, or Battle Revolution.

I just don't see a need for it, and seeing as how the 3D Pokedex Pro didn't update the cries (even if it's still for Gen 5) I don't expect them to give them new cries if they haven't already.

Pokemon White 2 Team:
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (11:10 AM).
Moist
other in a month When you,

Nature: Jolly
As long as Goldeen and Caterpie don't have then same cry again, I am all for it.

Challenges Completed:
The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (12:25 PM).
Splodge
Unhatched Egg

Personally, I do not mind either way, I do not find the old cries that bad, as they only last a second or two anyways, but I do think it would give the game a little bit more, oomph, as it would have updated sounds "surprising" us with something already familiar, but also new.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (12:34 PM).
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I don't think that they should be 'replaced' but more like improved. They sound the same but with better sound effects.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (12:42 PM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I feel like the difference in cries even between Gen I and Gen IV is enormous. I can't imagine how much they're going to improve Gen VI's cries. While I'd like to see more up-to-date battle cries, I'm so used to the cries that we already have, it'd be weird.

Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (01:37 PM).
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I'd like to see the sound quality improved a little....but not change how they sound. Unless there's two that sound very similar then maybe one of them should be changed.
Old Posted March 4th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I'd prefer to keep the classic cries. I can't imagine my Charizard sounding any differently. Nostalgia is a great thing...

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links