The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

View Poll Results: Pick a starter.
Chespin 322 30.96%
Fennekin 536 51.54%
Froakie 295 28.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 19th, 2013 (11:37 AM).
Mr155555

Nature: Adamant
i will choose fenniken and flamethrower everything because i don't care about type disadvantages
Old March 4th, 2013 (03:54 PM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I've always picked the starter depending on their final typing, and so far i've always been a huge fan of the Fire starters...but, after 3 Generations of Fire/Fighting, i think its time to pick something new.
Chespin looks really sweet and cool at the same time, i might pick him, although grass types have never been my thing, especially because of their many type disadvantages. I hope his second type will make him more resistant, like rock maybe?
Froakie...not much to say, people say he is ugly, i think he looks better than oshawott - Dont ask me why, i just really cant stand oshawotts design.
He might become Water/Ice, or who knows, maybe Fighting?
Fennekin looks cool, just please dont let him become a fighting type. I know he really doesnt look like one (for now), but hey, did you guys expect torchic to become fighting if you didnt see his evolutions? I guess i will keep my fingers crossed

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 4th, 2013 (06:50 PM).
Forever
let it go

You know I was wondering earlier... was Froakie picked as a starter because of frog legs? And if so, does this suggest that Froakie is rare to find and thus a starter BECAUSE of that?
Old March 4th, 2013 (07:00 PM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

hmm it might have something to do...
in the trailer you can see a building that looks like the eiffel tower, and french people cook and like to eat frog legs...
so there may really be a connection

Old March 4th, 2013 (07:28 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorogami View Post
hmm it might have something to do...
in the trailer you can see a building that looks like the eiffel tower, and french people cook and like to eat frog legs...
so there may really be a connection
Délicieux! Merveilleux! Bien fait!

Oh, wait. That was the foodie in me.

French also love fois gras. They come from ducks. I suspect there will be something going on with ducks somewhere, too.

Speaking of fois gras, they are apparently now priced the same as pine nuts. This random news bit brought to you by Google.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 4th, 2013 (07:39 PM).
Relith
Togepi

Nature: Calm
I think people are underestimating Froakie's potential in looks. I can't see the other two getting anywhere in lookswise, because:

Fennekin will just become a bigger version of itself.
Chespin = dafuq
Froakie =

Water/Fighting
Old March 4th, 2013 (11:49 PM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
French also love fois gras. They come from ducks. I suspect there will be something going on with ducks somewhere, too. Speaking of fois gras, they are apparently now priced the same as pine nuts. This random news bit brought to you by Google.

Cyclone
Haha ducks are cool, so id love to see a new duck pokemon
and thanks for the random fact of the day

i have to agree with Relith though, i think Fennekin ist just going to become a bigger version of itself, as of chespin and froaki, im really excited what their evolutions could look like...especially chespin, no clue what he will become.
Im also hoping for Froakie to become Water/Fighting, always liked Poliwrath, so yeah

Old March 5th, 2013 (07:02 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Nature: Quirky
If Froakie becomes Water/Fighting, then Poliwrath will be outclassed, and we don't that to happen after what happened with other Pokemon who outclass those of the same type/duo type. Based on the puffy clouds, he might as well be part Flying or part Electric.
Old March 5th, 2013 (07:15 AM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Yeah you are right about what would happen to Poliwrath.
Water/Electric would be awesome, but i really dont see Froakie becoming an electric type.
But having a flying Frog would be ridiculously cool

Who knows, maybe he will be water/ice, woould fit his color pattern

Old March 5th, 2013 (05:05 PM).
wildstrawberry
Houndoom Lover

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to wildstrawberry Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to wildstrawberry Send a message via Skype™ to wildstrawberry
Frankly I'm choosing Chespin. I was going to choose Fennekin but both it and Froakie are ugly. :p
Old March 5th, 2013 (05:11 PM).
D Dog master of war
Pokkén Tournament Champion

Nature: Docile
I want Frokian....because he look amazing...he has most details just LOOK AT HIM....OMG HE LOOK POWERFUL <3

I am A fighting Champion!!!

3DS FC: 3652-1583-8114
Old March 5th, 2013 (05:28 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
You know I was wondering earlier... was Froakie picked as a starter because of frog legs? And if so, does this suggest that Froakie is rare to find and thus a starter BECAUSE of that?
That's always possible, since that is definitely a delicacy over there. If that's the case I'd love to see the origins for Chespin and Fennekin as well!
Old March 5th, 2013 (05:47 PM).
Buggles

There's only one generation where I haven't started fire type, and that's not about to change now.
Old March 5th, 2013 (06:29 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstrawberry View Post
Frankly I'm choosing Chespin. I was going to choose Fennekin but both it and Froakie are ugly. :p
My Fennekin is currently baring its fangs at you. I think you made it angry.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 5th, 2013 (11:14 PM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
That's always possible, since that is definitely a delicacy over there. If that's the case I'd love to see the origins for Chespin and Fennekin as well!
Chespin is like a cute creature and I just kind of associate them with France because chipmunks seem like a France-thing?? I'm not even sure why lmao.
Old March 5th, 2013 (11:26 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Chespin is like a cute creature and I just kind of associate them with France because chipmunks seem like a France-thing?? I'm not even sure why lmao.
I always thought it was more based off of a hedgehog almost, but that doesn't really have any French correlation either =/ I got nothing for Fennekin as well =x
Old March 5th, 2013 (11:56 PM).
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I always thought it was more based off of a hedgehog almost
Now that you mention it, i can see why you would think of hedgehogs when looking at chespin.
Although he does look like a chipmunk too, but i don't think that he has to be France-related in some way?

Old March 6th, 2013 (01:36 AM).
waveguidebuizel
no ordinary buizel

Nature: Timid
I think chestnuts are a thing in France, hence Chespin being based off chestnuts. That is, if the starter choices are because the region's based in France. As for Fennekin, I have no idea.

while keeping perfect time
you’ll bag up these hearts of mine
with your rhythmic shaking motion
let’s mix up more of our love potion

Water Safari: Octillery, Gyarados, Poliwhirl
Searching for Minccino, Gastrodon, Liepard, and Braixen safaris
Old March 6th, 2013 (01:57 AM). Edited March 6th, 2013 by Archeops12354.
Archeops12354
Smoochum

Perhaps Froakie design will become kickass in his final evolution. When I first saw Snivy in pokemon B/W, I said out load: "Eh, that's just not my style, I think Oshawott is better." But when I first saw Snivys evolution - Serperior, I instantly changed my mind. So I picked Snivy not for Snivy, but for Serperior, and I hope the same thing happens to Froakie - unappealing at its first level, but awesome evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveguidebuizel View Post
I think chestnuts are a thing in France, hence Chespin being based off chestnuts. That is, if the starter choices are because the region's based in France. As for Fennekin, I have no idea.
Fennekin is based upon the Fennec fox that lives in the Sahara desert in North Africa, so I have no idea how Fennekin is related to European cultures.

Gen 6.
Old March 6th, 2013 (02:12 AM). Edited March 6th, 2013 by Zorogami.
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeops12354 View Post
Fennekin is based upon the Fennec fox that lives in the Sahara desert in North Africa, so I have no idea how Fennekin is related to European cultures.
Thats a good question...maybe they just want to implement a desert area in X and Y, and since Europe itself doesnt have any deserts, they will base this area on an african town/village?
Also, just because X/Y cities might be inspired by Europe, that doesnt mean the starters have anything to do with it

Old March 6th, 2013 (11:18 AM).
ShinyBidoof
Unhatched Egg

Tbh i wish the starters looked a bit better :/
Old March 7th, 2013 (08:53 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBidoof View Post
Tbh i wish the starters looked a bit better :/
Well, yeah sport; there's always room for improvement for their designs, but, heeeeeeeey, maybe give them a chance, and you'll warm up to them more? :)

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 7th, 2013 (10:49 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Thats a good question...maybe they just want to implement a desert area in X and Y, and since Europe itself doesnt have any deserts, they will base this area on an african town/village?
Also, just because X/Y cities might be inspired by Europe, that doesnt mean the starters have anything to do with it
Actually that would be a cool concept to have a region where Fennekin would be based in in the real world. As far as being based in Europe, I really don't see what any of them really have to do over there, so who knows how they really relate to that.
Old March 8th, 2013 (02:10 AM).
Archeops12354
Smoochum

Quote:
Actually, Europe has a lot of deserts, not necessarily big deserts like the Great Victoria Desert (Australia) or the Sahara desert (North Africa) but they have deserts nonetheless.

Gen 6.
Old March 8th, 2013 (04:36 AM).
MarinoKadame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeops12354 View Post
Perhaps Froakie design will become kickass in his final evolution. When I first saw Snivy in pokemon B/W, I said out load: "Eh, that's just not my style, I think Oshawott is better." But when I first saw Snivys evolution - Serperior, I instantly changed my mind. So I picked Snivy not for Snivy, but for Serperior, and I hope the same thing happens to Froakie - unappealing at its first level, but awesome evolution.

You should remember France once owned colonies in North Africa, Morocco was a part of it.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-5798-2881
XY IGN: Yvonne | Friend Safari: Water | Slot1: Octillery Slot2: Wartortle Slot3: Frogadier
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links