The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Advertise here
Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald were the first games to introduce two rivals, and they were the first to make them both unnameable. So who did you like better, May/Brandon or Wally? Who had the better design? Had better Pokémon? If you could have named them, what would you have chosen? If May/Brandon kept battling, what Pokémon do you think they would have had?

Discuss!
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Shayminlover123
Top Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Timid
I Like Wally a bit better,but only because his Pokemon was better than Breandan/May.
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Ardos
Community Supporter

Wally! Wally was fun. I also liked the variety of Pokemon he had on his team, as well as most of his team consisting of some of my favorite Pokemon. May/Brenden were boring to me, and actually a pain. I like rivals that don't give off an annoying/boring vibe to me, and Wally never did!
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Diversion
Mega Aerodactyl.

Nature: Serious
Well, Wally has better pokemon , and May/Brendan had the better design.
To be honest I equally like them. Helps me train more, unlike some other random trainers.
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I actually felt that the rivals were the least important that they've ever been in R/S/E, which is a little disappointing because they all had decent stories behind them- May or Brandon Breandan Brenden Brendan being the Professor's kid, and Wally with his health and recovery. Wally obviously had the better Pokemon, but Brendan had to be my favorite out of all three (even if it's just because I have the same name as him).
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:20 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

Nature: Timid
I agree with Brendino that the rivals were pretty insignificant in this game, which is weird since they were so important the last two games. However, I guess they were going for a change, and when you compare it to the games that came after it, RSE are really the only main series games that don't focus on a rival too heavily. And that's fine with me.

As for the rivals themselves, I was fine with Brendan's personality. He wasn't an ass, but still obviously wanted to prove himself against you, so I thought that was nice. They made May a bit too shy for my liking though. I liked Wally and as much as I want to consider him a rival, it's really difficult when you don't battle him but twice so I don't really feel a rivalry with him like I do Brendan and May. Wally feels more like a colleague, if anything. Though that word might be too strong for a relationship between 10 year olds haha.

I'm going to say I like Brendan as a rival (more so than May, since like I said, too shy imo), since he felt more like one than Wally did (however UGH they should have gotten their starter to the final evo!!) and I see Wally as more of a friend/colleague.

Blood will have blood.
paired to klippy, mr. downstairs, and elheroeoscuro
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I personally liked May a lot. I thought she would've been a great rival if she didn't quit at Lilycove City. It's a shame her starter didn't reach its final stage. I especially loved it how in Emerald how she had a Torkoal after the first gym sometimes.

I liked Wally too, it would have been nice to see him more in the story.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:46 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
I personally liked May a lot. I thought she would've been a great rival if she didn't quit at Lilycove City. It's a shame her starter didn't reach its final stage. I especially loved it how in Emerald how she had a Torkoal after the first gym sometimes.

I liked Wally too, it would have been nice to see him more in the story.
Pretty much this. I like May a lot, but had I seen Wally a bit more I probably would've leaned towards him.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old March 5th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Nature: Jolly
I hated how I couldn't get a Pokedex entry for Sceptile, because May never had one.

Wally was alright, he just doesn't seem fit to be a 'Rival'.

Have you ever seen a chicken strip?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here