The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Pixel Art is the best forum.
1 0 0%
2 3 20.00%
3 3 20.00%
4 7 46.67%
5 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Advertise here
Weekly Pixel Art Challenge: #25 - POLL
Hosted by: Logiedan

Theme: Generation VI - New Type

Voting Rules:
  • One vote per person
  • You may not vote for yourself
  • You can post which one you voted for and why
  • Critique is really appreciated to help those who struggled in votes!
This Week's Rules:
  • Canvas Size: 96x96
  • Palette Requirements: 18 colours max.
  • Transparency: Optional (WILL NOT COUNT AS A COLOUR)
  • Animation: None
  • Other: N/A
List of contestants:
NOTE: This is in no particular order or related to the order of entries below.

GolurkIsDaBomb, kinataki, Chesu, Fenneking and Retribution

Entries:

1. Psyduck

Type: MACHINE
------------
2. Heracross

Type: MAGNET
------------
3. Tangela

Type: FOOD
------------
4. Altaria

Type: PRISM
------------
5. Gastly

Type: VIRUS

---

Good luck!
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
I voted for Tangela, Food type because I love how its vines are converted into Noodles.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old March 4th, 2013, 08:12 PM
IceyPinkLemons

Nature: Lonely
My vote also lies on the adorably crafted Tangela sprite, though the Psyduck captured my interest as well. I voted for this sprite for a number of reasons. Though the food type should never actually ever be integrated into the Pokemon games, though many Pokemon would fit under it (Farfetch'd, Cherubi, Vanillite, etc.), it seemed the most notable and clearly expressed in its sprite among the entries. For instance, Psyduck could easily just be another electric or steel type. The design is handled well additionally; nothing is over-the-top. The fork doesn't look out of place and appears to have some good sheen to it, there isn't too much sauce, the meatball isn't too big to distract from the main sprite. As well as loving the concept, I happen to love spaghetti and meatsauce. Go, favorite food~ :D

Old March 4th, 2013, 08:51 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
I went for the Altaria retype. The sprite is really well made, and is pretty awesome to look at. Also, the Prism type is really creative, in my opinion! I love how the mane or whatever it is goes into white (colored light going back into white light) when from out of altaria's shadow. Genius!
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM
kinataki
david tennant so much!

Nature: Naughty
i really liked the design about psyduck(how it have the stuff in the back) and it seemed the most possible one to be in game for me (XD)

heracross one is looks nice but the colours do not really fit to me and that doesnt really look nice, i love the type and i know how magnemite's can be considered as an magnet type.7/10

tangela one looks tough. the spriting is nearly perfect(the only thing can be considered as a "mistake" is that shading on fork). but i must say that this wouldn't fit the game at-all. food type seems like a no to me(i know how there is food pokemons and stuff but it really cant fit the game..) and also it seems just like a food type! yeah thats what i see when i look at it, and that was a + point too.9.999/10

altaria, ooh altaria, the sprite is so perfect! and the type and everything, i can't even criticise that thing. it looks so good!10/10

so here is the thing about gastly, it looks nice and the things you add is nice but it looks incomplete and i cant really say, oh that is an virus type when i look at that. because it looks somehow incomplete like i said. i love gastly and i loved the things you did there.7/10

and by that way like i said, i voted for altaria, i loved it so so so so much!
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
I voted for Magnet-cross or Hera-net...? xD I guess it's kinda simple, but it works well, and the palette and shading looks nice. I like how you used the different 'sections' of the Pokemon to represent the different sides and colours of a magnet, and it isn't an obvious retype. Only criticism is in some parts it could be a little lighter I guess for the outline but it isn't that glaring and you obviously took into account the different tones for the outline as evidenced by the 'horn'.

The Psyduck uses a few too many dark outlines and I think the signal could be a little smoother. I like the design though and genuinely believe it could look really nice with a bit of work. :D Similarly, I really like food Tangela but I think the outline is a bit too light this time. I do really like the concept though. :D Prism Altaria also really looks nice and is a good concept and sprite. I like the rainbow "hair" and I think that part was quite nice. I didn't really like how the head was done and I am not really digging the crystalline head. I also can't really see it realistically as a Pokemon sprite. I kinda like my retypes to look like they'd fit in a Pokemon game and it kinda doesn't. :x It's a bit hard to explain but I do like the sprite and the palette. Virus Gastly is kinda limited by the Pokemon so I think something more larger might have allowed for more space to actually add elements. Choosing Gastly did kinda limit this. The palette is nice and the 'data' gas is a nice effect but yeah, as mentioned it doesn't exactly scream virus. Overall, good entries from everyone and I wish you all the bets of luck.

Pokémon Aureolin

Old March 6th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Collutorium
Unhatched Egg

My favorite was the Altaria because it had an unusal concept, had solid outline and color scheme and didn't look too obviously like an Altaria; maybe it's just me but I like re-types that have a certain degree of difference from the original.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:40 PM
blackmoonflower
You won't like me if I'm angry

Nature: Quiet
I'm voting for the Prism Altaria. I find it very visually appealing and a nice edit to the sprite. Looks very clean and the prism effect is nicely done.

<dA <Pixel thread <Etsy
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:41 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
I voted for the Heracross retype since it integrated the magnet well into the design; it's simple yet intriguing.

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

I vote for the Virus type, as it fits well into Gastly's design and looks eye-catching.

Last edited by Demon Days; March 14th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Chesu
Boss Carrot

Nature: Relaxed
You guys missed the voting by a few days. :D

Updated 11/07/10.
Old March 15th, 2013, 05:01 PM
The Dark Avenger
Eye-Catching

Nature: Adamant
I actually voted a few day before I posted; I was just too lazy to give an explanation for my vote.

I also wanted to add that all the sprites look great, there was no "bad" entry.
Looking forward to the next one

Retrodex Sprites
|D&D Forum|??? (coming soon)
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Demon Days
Element of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesu View Post
You guys missed the voting by a few days. :D
Well. I guess that means that...
I really need to read voting deadlines.
asdfgh
Virus type was still a good idea, though.

Old March 17th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Winners

1st Place - Fenneking

2nd Place - GolurkIsDaBomb

2nd Place - Chesu

3rd Place - Retribution

---

Thank you for participating. Discussion of results can be in General Pixel Art Discussion thread.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here