• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Starter Pokémon

Pick a starter.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I've always picked the starter depending on their final typing, and so far i've always been a huge fan of the Fire starters...but, after 3 Generations of Fire/Fighting, i think its time to pick something new.
Chespin looks really sweet and cool at the same time, i might pick him, although grass types have never been my thing, especially because of their many type disadvantages. I hope his second type will make him more resistant, like rock maybe?
Froakie...not much to say, people say he is ugly, i think he looks better than oshawott - Dont ask me why, i just really cant stand oshawotts design.
He might become Water/Ice, or who knows, maybe Fighting?
Fennekin looks cool, just please dont let him become a fighting type. I know he really doesnt look like one (for now), but hey, did you guys expect torchic to become fighting if you didnt see his evolutions? I guess i will keep my fingers crossed

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
You know I was wondering earlier... was Froakie picked as a starter because of frog legs? And if so, does this suggest that Froakie is rare to find and thus a starter BECAUSE of that?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
hmm it might have something to do...
in the trailer you can see a building that looks like the eiffel tower, and french people cook and like to eat frog legs...
so there may really be a connection ;)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
hmm it might have something to do...
in the trailer you can see a building that looks like the eiffel tower, and french people cook and like to eat frog legs...
so there may really be a connection ;)
Délicieux! Merveilleux! Bien fait!

Oh, wait. That was the foodie in me.

French also love fois gras. They come from ducks. I suspect there will be something going on with ducks somewhere, too.

Speaking of fois gras, they are apparently now priced the same as pine nuts. This random news bit brought to you by Google.

Cyclone

Years
I think people are underestimating Froakie's potential in looks. I can't see the other two getting anywhere in lookswise, because:

Fennekin will just become a bigger version of itself.
Chespin = dafuq
Froakie =

images

Water/Fighting

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
French also love fois gras. They come from ducks. I suspect there will be something going on with ducks somewhere, too. Speaking of fois gras, they are apparently now priced the same as pine nuts. This random news bit brought to you by Google.

Cyclone

Haha ducks are cool, so id love to see a new duck pokemon
and thanks for the random fact of the day :P

i have to agree with Relith though, i think Fennekin ist just going to become a bigger version of itself, as of chespin and froaki, im really excited what their evolutions could look like...especially chespin, no clue what he will become.
Im also hoping for Froakie to become Water/Fighting, always liked Poliwrath, so yeah

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
If Froakie becomes Water/Fighting, then Poliwrath will be outclassed, and we don't that to happen after what happened with other Pokemon who outclass those of the same type/duo type. Based on the puffy clouds, he might as well be part Flying or part Electric.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Yeah you are right about what would happen to Poliwrath.
Water/Electric would be awesome, but i really dont see Froakie becoming an electric type.
But having a flying Frog would be ridiculously cool :P

Who knows, maybe he will be water/ice, woould fit his color pattern

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
You know I was wondering earlier... was Froakie picked as a starter because of frog legs? And if so, does this suggest that Froakie is rare to find and thus a starter BECAUSE of that?

That's always possible, since that is definitely a delicacy over there. If that's the case I'd love to see the origins for Chespin and Fennekin as well!

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
There's only one generation where I haven't started fire type, and that's not about to change now. :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
That's always possible, since that is definitely a delicacy over there. If that's the case I'd love to see the origins for Chespin and Fennekin as well!

Chespin is like a cute creature and I just kind of associate them with France because chipmunks seem like a France-thing?? I'm not even sure why lmao.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Chespin is like a cute creature and I just kind of associate them with France because chipmunks seem like a France-thing?? I'm not even sure why lmao.

I always thought it was more based off of a hedgehog almost, but that doesn't really have any French correlation either =/ I got nothing for Fennekin as well =x

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I always thought it was more based off of a hedgehog almost

Now that you mention it, i can see why you would think of hedgehogs when looking at chespin.
Although he does look like a chipmunk too, but i don't think that he has to be France-related in some way?

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I think chestnuts are a thing in France, hence Chespin being based off chestnuts. :) That is, if the starter choices are because the region's based in France. As for Fennekin, I have no idea.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Perhaps Froakie design will become kickass in his final evolution. When I first saw Snivy in pokemon B/W, I said out load: "Eh, that's just not my style, I think Oshawott is better." But when I first saw Snivys evolution - Serperior, I instantly changed my mind. So I picked Snivy not for Snivy, but for Serperior, and I hope the same thing happens to Froakie - unappealing at its first level, but awesome evolution.

I think chestnuts are a thing in France, hence Chespin being based off chestnuts. :) That is, if the starter choices are because the region's based in France. As for Fennekin, I have no idea.

Fennekin is based upon the Fennec fox that lives in the Sahara desert in North Africa, so I have no idea how Fennekin is related to European cultures.

Last edited:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Fennekin is based upon the Fennec fox that lives in the Sahara desert in North Africa, so I have no idea how Fennekin is related to European cultures.

Thats a good question...maybe they just want to implement a desert area in X and Y, and since Europe itself doesnt have any deserts, they will base this area on an african town/village?
Also, just because X/Y cities might be inspired by Europe, that doesnt mean the starters have anything to do with it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back