Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Old March 5th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Forever
let it go

Advertise here
Okay so this doesn't sound that bad, but consider this (there's a lot of what if threads floating around, but nothing like this!) The two legendaries would need to be crammed into one storyline, and you'd thus get a choice of them, the games likely wouldn't be based on DNA because there's no opposites in names going on and with it only being one game, it'd indicate that a pattern is changing, and that it might be the only game of the region. As well as this... you couldn't get an extra/other copy to store stuff on because it'd be basically the same game, and you could only journey the region once. On the plus side, you'd have to pay less for it because you're not buying both, you'll also not get version differences, you'll likely get a more-enhanced game as they're only concentrating on one and generally you'd have a real pattern breaker that could have potential for a really interesting storyline, if it was the sole starting game of the generation.

So, with this in mind, would've you preferred they announced just one game, rather than the two? Do you think the DNA/other suspected themes would still work as well without having the two games to fall upon? If so, expand on how this'd have worked out. If not, why are you glad it turned out the way it did - and what could they potentially ruin if they DID do this?
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
It would be disappointing to me if they were to announce just one game, but at the same time, I'm not usually the type of person that would get both versions of a game anyway, so it wouldn't make a significant difference to me, personally. To cram both games together, in a sense, I imagine would make it kind of more expensive, since there would be a crapton more features squished in it and whatnot, but in the end, I wouldn't mind too much.
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Yes, I would be very disappointed. Pokemon has always been about the trading and connectivity, and I simply do not believe the same can be achieved between 1 game instead of 2, where the developers can give us 2 very different games to share with each other.
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Esper

I would be okay with this if it meant I could get all the Pokemon in that generation one way or another without trading. When you look at it, there really aren't many differences between different versions. There are a few more now (like White Forest/Black City) but even then that's kind of just a cosmetic difference. I don't think much would be lost.

deviantart blog pair
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I wouldn't be that bothered. It would probably mean a bit more content if they didn't have to develop version specific locations/plotlines.

Really the two versions just boil down to being a money spinner. One version would be enough.
Looking for X & Y friends, friend code is: 2964-8571-0102
Send me a pm if you add me.
Old March 5th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Honestly I'd actually kind of prefer this. Excluding the mascot that you don't choose to receive, you're getting every other Pokémon from the region's Pokédex way easier, and you'd only have to trade for the other mascot. It'd be way more convenient, although it does break tradition and what Pokémon kind of goes for.
Old March 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM
IWearHatsIndoors
They're comfy and easy to wear

I think having one game instead of two wouldn't really be as great... and it would make it significantly less hard to catch them all and would also mean I wouldn't socialize...

However... I think if Pokemon ever did decide to just release an individual game instead of different versions, then I think having a butterfly effect deciding what Pokemon you encounter would be really cool. Where decisions like choosing a starter, choosing a specific route and saying "yes" or "no" would effect the Pokemon you encounter later on in the game.

I think that would be pretty neat and give it replayability. It would also get people to really seek out trades if they want a specific Pokemon.

However I would feel sorry for the person who gets swamped with all the Rodent Pokemon...

(sorry for going off topic a bit, but if it was certain you'd get all the pokemon in the new region then I'd be a little dissapointed)
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Student D1
De-Wott?

Location: It's where the sun rises, but it's smaller than Japan.
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to Student D1
I prefer having two games instead of one, since I like to connect myself to the world, so we'd get to socialize; and that's I believe the main purpose of Pokémon: to connect with one another, through trading and battling. If they removed that purpose, then we'd be just sitting on our chairs or couches, playing alone.

But I know that it will be easier to get almost all Pokémon, since there won't be any version differences anymore. Plus, we wouldn't have to buy two versions just to get the Pokémon we want, especially if we do not have Wi-Fi. However, I wouldn't want all the content to be crammed in one game, where it'll pile up a lot of bytes; if that's the case, the price of the game may be higher, unlike, when the game are divided into two versions, the price is also cut into two.

Profile | PM | Intro Thread | PokéSpe | White 2 FC
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM
ArceusGPG
The Obscure

Nature: Quirky
As long as there's a reason to continue trading, I'm satisfied with either situation, really. It's that sense of opportunity cost that encourages people to trade and interact with each other, but that can be easily made up for with permanent decisions players are forced to make.

But thinking about the possible themes of DNA, it would make little sense not to have two separate games. After all, DNA strands have two separate but similar sides to them.
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Forever
let it go

Interesting points you all brought up! For me I'm kind of glad they're separate, but on the other hand after the curveball with B2/W2, I did kind of expect that they'd change it up, and release just the one (if it was still based on the same theme) - Pokemon DNA, and within it, Yveltal and Xerneas would play big parts to represent that. I think it could be pulled off, but somewhat harder...?
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old March 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I saw this in another thread, but with a DNA theme it almost wouldn't make sense to have just one game. DNA strands, and chromosomes by extension (the X and Y chromosomes) always come in pairs. With the genetics theme being speculated to be based off this it would only make sense to have a pair of games. Then again, that just fits in with the formula the Pokémon games have in general too =P
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:17 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
If it were Pokémon XY, would that make it a male game?

It'd be disappointed, but probably end up buying 2/3 copies of the game anyway. I think they could ruin that feeling of you having one version, and your friend or sibling having the other and having to play together to get everything.
Old March 6th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I wouldn't like it. Paired versions are a constant for the series. Pokemon is partly built on playing with others, trading and so forth. Id likely get another copy anyway for more Pokemon, events and a place to store things, it's actually nice to have a pair of games for that reason, plus then you do not have to delete your save file to play again.
BMGf Ever Grande City
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Akatsuki Ten
As It Is

Nature: Calm
If what people are guessing that there may be a Pokemon 'Z' it may be like Emerald, combining both X and Y. But if there was only one game released like that I would be sort of disappointed. With two different games there's two different story-lines to follow. With only one there would be no challenge to complete the pokedex besides transfer/trading. There's always exclusive pokemon to each game so it would be boring not having to trade with someone else to finish the dex.
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
I'd never thought about it, but I wouldn't mind it! I'd still probably buy two copies...
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:38 PM
Munchlax11
Munch?

Nature: Serious
I know this is just hypothetical, but they would never do that. Two different versions encourages trading because of version exclusives. They would by no means want to discourage trading. Releasing only one version would also lose them a good bit of money. A lot of players buy both versions. With only one version to play some players would only buy one copy. This loses them money so it would never happen.

|Ever Grande City Forums|My Profile|PM|Pokemoon Chatbox

Pokemon X
3DS FC: 2852-7439-1811
(VM if you add)
Old March 8th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Hikamaru
I have not had my teeth whitened!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I don't think they'd ever do that, cos having two games with similar features and Pokemon availability differences helps encourage trading so you can complete the Pokedex.

Having one game would render the purpose of version exclusives useless, and won't ring in the money. Also, having paired versions helps Game Freak make more money, cos some people may only buy one of the games, but they may end up buying both games, hence Game Freak makes more money.
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:26 PM
SoraTheTruth

Nature: Naive
they won't do that until the third part of the game like Ruby and Sapphire, then Emerald, If X and Y has a third part, because Black and White had Black 2 and White 2, if this gen has a third part it most likely will be called Pokemon Z

A guy explained to me that works at the video game store why they make two games per generation, he said one to make money, and two its like a competition to see which is better, in this case which legendary pokemon/plain pokemon (red, blue, green, yellow, fire red, and leaf green is the reason i say plain pokemon) is better/more popular.

Example: Like i said competition the guy told me its like a Burger King and a Mc Donald's, Mc Donald's has more sales than Burger King meaning more people prefer Mc Donald's (not really sure about that)

So lets say Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, Diamond had the most sales world wide saying people prefered Dialga over Palkia
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:26 PM
demonta4
President of Demonta Games

Nature: Brave
Having one version of a pokemon game would be bad,it would take away the point of completing the pokedex and take away the feeling of being different from someone else with the game
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here