The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:17 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7

Advertise here
Quote:
Quote: Professor Birch (Emerald)
"Oh, <player>! Imagine seeing you here! And where might my Brendan/May be?"
"Oh, I see! You two are running separately. Well, that's fine."
As shown above, one of the things Professor Birch asks you in Emerald is where your rival is, implying that he though you were both going to be travelling together through Hoenn. Of course, this isn't the case and you go solo. But what if you and your rival travelled together like Ash and May? Do you think it'd make for a more enjoyable game? How would you like to see it work? Do you think it could be possible?

Discuss!
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
If it meant all wild encounters were double battles and Brendan healed my team after each battle, I would be a-okay with it. :P Though even if he didn't heal my team afterwards, I still think it would have been interesting, however then you probably wouldn't get to team up against Maxie at the Space Station with Steven, unless Brendan goes off to do something else. -shrug-

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:51 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I think it'd be cool if for part of the game they joined up with you and then for gym battles and major battles, you battled separately. Surf, Fly and using your bike would be interesting though.
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Diversion
Mega Aerodactyl.

Nature: Serious
It's pretty interesting, you get help from the other player.
This is a pretty good idea, but it won't make the game challenging cuz the other player HELPS you too.
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
It could be exciting near the beginning of the game, if your rival followed you around for a little bit, pointing out things like how to catch a Pokemon, teaching you about double battles, healing your Pokemon, etc. By the time you get to Rustboro (maybe even by Petalburg) it might get a little annoying though, so maybe it's for the best that they didn't go with this route and have Brendan/May follow you around the majority of the game.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:46 AM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I do think it would have been fun for Brendan/May to team up with the player through certain segments of the game- Littleroot to Rustboro, Slateport to Mauville, Mt. Pyre, one or two Team Hideouts. That kind of thing. It could be fun to have the option to go through Victory Road and the E4 as a team, too. But I don't really know... in all instances, having a partner that can heal all the 'mon is a bit cheap. So I suppose the player would have to be responsible for healing the 'mon after/during battles. I suppose the rival could give you some healing items to use (or not). I dunno, it'd be fun but a bit complicated.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I think it would be pretty fun. Having someone walk around with you. That little detail could make the game seem more fun. Also, when you're having double battles, your partner could also join up with you.

But the idea of your partner healing your Pokemon a lot seems quite unappealing for me, maybe she could give you items from time to time like a Pokemon with the pickup ability? Not healing your Pokemon, that's kind of an overkill for the game x)
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:50 AM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
I don't think that's really necessary. I say have them just team up with you occasionally to go through caves and stuff like in DPPt. If you're going to have someone follow you, let it be a Pokemon like in HGSS.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old March 5th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Nature: Jolly
It would be an interesting concept, especially in RBGY and FrLg, with Misty and Brock theirselves.

Have you ever seen a chicken strip?
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:12 PM
LiquidRage

I think if that were to happen, it could be a final fantasy-ish setting. You could switch out which member you want to use and then use the pokemon on their team. You would also fight multiple pokemon at once. I imagine it like the super pokemon rpg: Eevee edition or whatever it's called.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night." ~Edgar Allan Poe
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
If the partner was May, I would go for it! xD
But yeah, LiquidRage has a point... it could have been done RPG-style... which would be cool but that's not something Pokémon will ever have...

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 7th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Correspondence

It would definitely would be interesting to see but i think it'd make the game too easy maybe they could team up once in a while to defeat the villainous teams and maybe also team up against Liza and Tate.

Last edited by Correspondence; April 8th, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
JustChillin810
xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx

Nature: Brave
Well, it would get annoying fast because every battle would have to be a double battle and you would have no control over what your partner would be doing. Although my style of battling is having a balanced team that are a few levels under your opponents strongest pokémon and your partner would most likely have a fairly leveled team that could demolish your opponents team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchguy View Post
It would definitely would be interesting to see but i think it'd make the game too easy maybe they could team up once in a while to defeat the villainous teams and maybe also team up against Liza an Tate.
I agree to everything you say and I would like to add that a lot of the fun of the game is the creativity it takes to create the perfect team and that this would take away from the fun in the game. It took me 35+ hours to do everything I wanted to do before the Elite Four. If you had a partner, you could complete the game in 20 hours or under.

Last edited by JustChillin810; April 2nd, 2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Alex
Mmm, yeah
Community Supporter

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Skype™ to Alex
Oh my gosh I thought it would've been the coolest thing! I kind of wanted to implement it in a ROM hack sometime, but to no avail.

I think that it would be a good idea for the rival to refrain from healing your Pokémon, though. It'd make it too easy if he/she did :/.

And as for following you around everywhere, I kind of want to stick to the idea of he/she coming with you on certain segments of the game - for instance on the trip from Rustboro to Slateport or during the whole legendary story sequence in Emerald. Now, there's a thought!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here