• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon Chocolate Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Pokémon Chocolate Green Version

Doctor Pine is very upset that this game is considered "the Worst in PokeCommunity". Cheer Pine up by giving Chocolate Green support. Is it at least better than Emerald?

This game is being made with RPG Maker XP using Pokemon Essentials v11.

It all happened a long time ago, when Dr. Pine was a little boy. A mysterious disaster is happening to the region, even worse than turmoil. Perhaps this has something to do with the attack on legendary Pokémon. For years, the mountains break up and the plants overgrow, causing pollution and suffering. Who would cause such an attack that would do such a things?

Years later, a new Pokémon League was being created, and it is up to you, a Trainer from Grazure, to investigate the region, battle trainers, and become a Pokémon Master.

You meet Pine's assistant, Mona, and recieve your starter Pokémon, you then meet up with a Mysterious Boy who challenges you to a battle. Mona, impressed, gives you a Pokedex and PokeBalls. After catching 10 different species of Pokémon, you set out on your journey and meet Dr. Pine, who gives you the PokéGear.

To be continued...

Features

-An amazing region.
-All 15 starters avaiable
-Ability to catch all 649 official Pokémon (Only around 20 or so in current version.)

There will not be any fakemon, only official species.

Screenshots
Want Screenshots? No problem.
Spoiler:

Currently Available Pokémon
Spoiler:

Credits
Maruno,Poccil,P-Sign,Clowcardruler,Venom12,FL - Pokémon Essentials v11
chimcharsfireworkd, turtwig2 - Tilesets
Litera-sure - Trainer Sprites

Please note that I am in no affiliation of Nintendo, the owners of the Pokemon franchise. This game was made for fun.

Current Version
Version 1 Episode 3 Release 1 (Alpha) (2 Gyms)
How do you play it? The link is right here!

http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/97782665/file.html

Hope you enjoy the game! If you have any suggestions for future releases, leave feedback. Your opinion counts.

Episode 4 has been canceled due to a messy region map. Pokemon Virus Lavender will be a successor to this project.

Last edited:

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Sorry about having to double post, but I feel that nobody has tried out the demo. Where is everyone.

Anyway, micro update to keep the thread alive. I'm planning on adding some items scattered on the ground in Grazure City and Grazure Sewers, as well as fixing a few oversights. I'll upload it on the next update, so be sure to try out the demo and give back your opinions of the game so far.

Doctor Pine, the Pokemon Expert in the region, is looking forward to people trying out the first brief demo.

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I'm going to be frank with you, because I want to help. This is not good.

I would like to offer some criticism though.

-the town is WAYWAYWAY too big and empty. It took me literally 5 min to find the lab.
-a lot of tiles you messed up on. I can walk through a lot of things I shouldn't be able to
-the door to the sewers needs to be opened by clicking it
-the indoor maps are also way too big and empty. the lab could be half the size and be just fine. the house should be smaller as well, and the tile you used for the outside of the house is for a pokemon center.
-the pokemon center is way too big and empty too. also, nurse joy should be next to the machine. it looks strange when you heal as the pokeballs just appear on the machine.
-its better to have placeholders than no sprite for trainers. its kind of strange.
-trainers pokemon should be higher than level 3. look at official games for reference
-same thing with the second town. way too big and spreadout. easy to get lost

some positive things
-all the starters isn't a bad thing at all. it gives a lot of choices that people will like. You may want to change the rival's pokemon though. purrloin seems too plain
-i like the sewer instead of the normal route 1
-its good to have an extra strong trainer like the old man and his garden

I lost the will to continue when I lost to the old geezer and would have to go through the sewer again to get back to the second town. I hope i didn't sound rude with my comments. I hope you take this advice and make things better.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Sorry about that. Update has been released. The third release is out. Now contains placeholder sprites for half of the new trainer classes, still couldn't find good placeholders for the Trainer Classes that still don't have placeholders. Sorry...

Also edited some maps, Grazure City is still large though.

I'm not having trouble with battling the old geezer who protects his garden. Once you beat him, you can gain access to new Pokemon like Caterpie, and even Glameow, if lucky enough.

In order to progress to the third city, you need to catch 10 different species of Pokemon. However, this is not implemented in the current demo, as getting past the gate is the end of the episode. Once you get past the gate, Doctor Pine will meet you on Route 1. Good luck.

Very ingenious, as it gives an incentive to "catch 'em all".

BTW, there are multiple rivals, and Jason isn't your main rival.

If you have any suggestions on future updates, drop a line!

Last edited:

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Update: I did some adjustments due to sheer boredom. Unfortunately, you cannot access Route 1, the Demo still ends when you get past the gate after catching 10 different species. You can't get past the gate with less than 10 species to access Route 1. I programmed it that way. Anyway, try out the fourth release of Pokemon Chocolate Green. Doctor Pine would be upset if you don't.

Spoiler:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
This is a very bad thread, the game names makes literally no sense, but it can be accepted. The screenshots are very blank and dull, they dont show anything that might make me think the demo is worth downloading. The storyline is very basic. Too many pokemon in the game and there is no need to allow ppl to choose from 15 different pokemon at the beginning, if you want them available make it a special condition like how they did in pokemon yellow, put more work into this and it may have potential.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I find your lack of faith disturbing. Doctor Pine is offended by your comment. But look on the bright side, it will undergo some improvements, and the worse the game is, the less offensive it is to the government, even though it is still copyright infringement. What I'm trying to do is balance the two so that I get a playable game without being sent to jail.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
I find your lack of faith disturbing. Doctor Pine is offended by your comment. But look on the bright side, it will undergo some improvements, and the worse the game is, the less offensive it is to the government, even though it is still copyright infringement. What I'm trying to do is balance the two so that I get a playable game without being sent to jail.
Uhmm I honestly don't know what you're trying achieve with that... You aren't making any sense... You won't be sent to jail, unless you're going to sell it...

Honestly, I can't take you seriously as a developer anymore...

Your screens are really bad, your maps are really empty, the battle screens don't show anything special, there isn't even one with some dialogue.

Furthermore, why would you post a list of all 649 pokemon, when there's only 15 in the game? Just post the ones available...

I know you're eager to show off your work... but honestly, four releases before you even get to the first route? Sort out your thread, if you make things look at least a little neater, more people would be willing to play your game.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
OH MY DENNIS! Pokemon Chocolate Green is being considered the worst Pokémon game ever. I do not see anyone disagreeing with me, unless I am to be disproven.

Anyway, the first release of Episode 2 has been uploaded. Sadly, you cannot enter the gym and therefore go further into the chapter, as I do not have the sufficient tiles for the inside of the Kitchery Gym. You have access to Route 1 and Kitchery City though. Also, you will be introduced to a second rival. There will be an unreal total of six rivals in game. That may be pushing it, but do I care?

It appears that I am gonna need advice and assistance from a REAL developer.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
As a student of game oriented computer science, I am sure that you won't find help from any real developer. Heck, I doubt even hobbyists would be willing to help.

I gave you quite a few pointers, what makes you believe anybody else would be willing to help if you just ignore the advice you were given in the first place?

Last edited:

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
^^^

we are trying to help. I gave advice and you ignored most of it. Elarmasecreta knows what he's talking about. Take his advice.

Also, completely unrelated, its really creepy how you talk about Prof. Pine like he's a real person.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Well, I did fix some of the problems, that's come credit to be made. I'm not sure how I would be talking about Doctor Pine like he's a real person. Well, thanks for some of the help. You're welcome to give more help.

Good luck to the rest of the players out there!

Rayd12smitty

Shadow Maker
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2016
I find your lack of faith disturbing. Doctor Pine is offended by your comment.

Doctor Pine, the Pokemon Expert in the region, is looking forward to people trying out the first brief demo.

This is what I meant. ^^^

The main two things right now I have for you is to fix your towns and cities since they are sooooo big and empty and maybe get some graphics for a titlescreen or at least change the intro event so it isn't the exact same thing as the normal essentials one

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
You should take this thread down and re-do everything and then post it again. I mean, you seem to have some decent ideas in mind for the game, but you're not really showing the potential in-game. It also seems you're just making this game for the heck of it and not really putting much effort into it. It's not the worse game on the community, you're just putting in the least effort out of any game creator on the community. Go back to the drawing board and start over.

EDIT: Oh and please stop with the Dr.Pine stuff. I know it may seem funny to you and you're playing around, that's cool.. But some people...A lot of people who are viewing this thread may feel it's pretty weird and kinda lame. Personally, I get it, you're being silly, but to most ppl you're just coming off as a bit creepy.

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Your maps appear to be way too empty, and you use tiles mismatched with the overworld sprites, and a mix of different clashing sprites in battle scenes(Though you say they're placeholders, I would STRONGLY recommend dealing with this graphical issue as soon as you can).

Additionally, your synopsis seems rushed and hard to understand:
It all happened a long time ago, when Dr. Pine was a little boy. A mysterious disaster is happening to the region, even worse than turmoil. Perhaps this has something to do with the attack on legendary Pokémon. For years, the mountains break up and the plants overgrow, causing pollution and suffering. Who would cause such an attack that would do such a things?
You're mixing verb tenses. Has this been going on since Dr. Pine was a little boy, or was that what happened when he was a little boy?"Even worse than turmoil" does little to describe the situation, as turmoil isn't a single event. This attack on legendary Pokemon sounds intriguing, and considering there's very little to go on otherwise, maybe you should focus in on describing that? How does some erosion and plant life growing cause pollution or suffering?

Years later, a new Pokémon League was being created, and it is up to you, a Trainer from Grazure, to investigate the region, battle trainers, and become a Pokémon Master.
So how does this happen, then? Does investigating the region, battling trainers, and the generic League stuff happen in the present, or is still the past? It says a Pokemon League WAS being created. Is this underway, or is it complete when the player begins to act upon the storyline?

You meet Pine's assistant, Mona, and recieve your starter Pokémon, you then meet up with a Mysterious Boy who challenges you to a battle. Mona, impressed, gives you a Pokedex and PokeBalls. After catching 10 different species of Pokémon, you set out on your journey and meet Dr. Pine, who gives you the PokéGear.
Firstly, why does Mona give the player a starter Pokemon? Is this a prearranged setup? Why do you need 10 different species of Pokemon to set out? Why doesn't Dr. Pine meet you himself, and why does he give you a PokeGear? What does it do in your story?

A lot of these questions can be summed up with: "Why?" What motivation does the player have to play your game?

Additionally, is English not your first language? It can be a difficult one to learn, but presentation is everything. Either way, I'd go back and refine your story idea and proofread your dialogue. You've got potential, and hopefully by going back and taking your time, you can make a better game.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
I apologize for not putting much effort. This might not be a good game, but at least it isn't the worst Pokemon Game. Thanks for the cheering up. However, I might need help starting a third project, but I will continue to improve Chocolate Green as much as I can, even though I'll need a brief tutorial on how to create a game that people will actually enjoy. I understand, but I'll need a lot of pointers before starting a successor to Chocolate Green. If anyone has any ideas for a new project, PM me.

EDIT: In search of a team and a master for a new project coming up, Pokemon Moon White, progress on Chocolate Green will slow down, much to the dismay of the community. All 649 Pokemon are to be catchable in Pokemon Moon White in some way shape or form, like in Chocolate Green. This may be pushing it, but that's where a whole team comes in. As the team leader, I have developed a developer's kit for a start. Carry on, though I will not post anything else about Moon White on this thread.

Last edited:
Years
I don't quite understand what you're looking for in a tutorial, especially considering most replies in this thread are full of criticism and suggestions on how to improve it. If you're having trouble discerning them, here are the ones that I've picked up:

- Don't mix tiles from different generations if at all possible
- Reduce the amount of empty space in your maps
- Take more care with the development process
- Don't post a new beta for minor changes unless you're fixing something that makes the current one unplayable
- Listen to feedback about the plot and try to answer the questions that have been raised

You seem intelligent and committed enough, so if you actually take on board what people say you should be able to make something decent, if you take the time to do so. Starting another project is not a solution.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I don't quite understand what you're looking for in a tutorial, especially considering most replies in this thread are full of criticism and suggestions on how to improve it. If you're having trouble discerning them, here are the ones that I've picked up:

- Don't mix tiles from different generations if at all possible
- Reduce the amount of empty space in your maps
- Take more care with the development process
- Don't post a new beta for minor changes unless you're fixing something that makes the current one unplayable
- Listen to feedback about the plot and try to answer the questions that have been raised

You seem intelligent and committed enough, so if you actually take on board what people say you should be able to make something decent, if you take the time to do so. Starting another project is not a solution.

I agree with your points.

One I'd like to ask is to not give up so easily with the project just because the thread is empty or not very active.
Just look at my Pokémon Eon Thread. Hardly anyone comments. But hey, this is a small community of the Site. So it will be empty alot.

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Thank you for being understanding. Pokemon Chocolate Green will be continued on.

Anyway, when you start the game, Dr. Pine is absent from his lab, therefore, when you meet his assistant, she will help you choose your first Pokémon. The PokéGear will have a use in later versions of the game, and I decided to still use the PokeGear. If you have any other questions, do not ask them in a rude way, be supportive.

Wait a minute, I saw your Pokémon Eon thread and it got a lot of comments, not to mention a lot of good comments. Pokemon Chocolate Green is receiving bad comments. I'll need to pay more attention to your game for a reference for Episode 3.

Anyway, the last bit of Episode 2 has been finished. Sorry if it was short, but it will take a while for me to finish Episode 3, as I'll pay more attention.

Sorry about not editing the intro, I do not have a sprite for Doctor Pine to replace the Professor Oak at the beginning. Once I get a viable picture, Chocolate Green will have a better intro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back