The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: Did you?
Of course! 10 43.48%
Of course not! 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Diversity Pumpkin
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Serious

Advertise here
On Pokémon Black and White there is a Level 70 Volcarona at the Relic Castle but you can only get it after beating Ghetsis. On Black 2 and White 2 you can get a Volcarona at Level 35 after beating the Driftveil gym leader and doing some PWT stuff. It's at the relic castle, but you can only get there by going through the relic pass near the PWT place. Be prepared to catch it (if you're planning too).

So... did you use it?
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Correspondence

I only caught it after the E4 so my team was already fixed so i didn't really use it except in PWT.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
In the Black version, I'm currently using it. I have a crap nature (-Speed), but the thing was difficult to catch so I decided to keep it anyway.

In Black 2 I don't plan to use it because I already have Growlithe. I also won't use the Mandibuzz in Route 4 because it's very difficult to catch even with Dusk Balls.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Hikamaru
the hamster
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Sadly, on both occasions I couldn't catch Volcarona, cos it was just too hard to catch, I decided to give up and knocked it out.

And I already had Chandelure for my planned Fire-type, plus Pokemon with a 4x Rock weakness never usually make it onto my team.

paired with awolfsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | profile | credit | supporter

Old March 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I only caught it for the Pokedex, at the moment its probably sitting bored in the PC box. My team is already selected, so no need to add any other Pokemon.
#1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!
Current Challenge -
Random Challenge - Badges: 4/8 - game: X - Location: Coumarine City
50/50 Challenge - Badges 1/8 - Game Y - Location: Route 4
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I only caught the interactable Volcarona for Battle Subway purposes; I never used it in-story.

Old March 7th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
Well and I caught it and boxed it on white, but caught it and bred it on black 2 does breeding it count as using it ? if not No I did not use it
Old March 7th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Powalen

I caught it both times and used it both times. I love Volcarona and it was a valuable member of my team both times.

Old March 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Arlo

I caught the Volcarona in White relatively recently - late in the post-game - and caught the one in B2 fairly early, because I went through Relic Cave about as soon as possible. I haven't done anything with any of them yet though - either the Volcaronas or the Larvesta from the egg out on the island in B/W. It's self-evidently a good pokemon, so I just haven't gotten around to using one, since there's not going to be any surprise when I find out that it's a good pokemon. I imagine I'll use one sooner or later, but I'm in no hurry.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:16 PM
The Corrupt Plague
Missingno. hunter

Nature: Naughty
Yep. How can I resist a prize like that? Volcarona has to be one of my favorite bug types right now.

Credit goes to Team Brushfire for the awesome banner!
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Morkula
Play the Game

The Volcarona in B/W comes too late to use in an in-game team, and the one in B/W 2 doesn't get any decent attacks until like 25-30 levels later, so I've never used one. You pretty much have to deal with Fire Spin and some other crappy attacks until almost the time you beat the game, so there are far better Fire options for most of the main storyline.

paired with cherrim ~ big brother of arago
4p games ~ 4p forums ~ backloggery ~ twitter
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Starry Windy
Show your Victory!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I caught Volcarona on both games, but I never use it in-game that I boxed it.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Synerjee
the oncoming storm.

Nature: Relaxed
I caught it, but I didn't use it as I already had my own stronger and well-trained Volcarona evolved from the Larvesta hatched from the egg obtained at Route 18. Comparing my own level 50+ Volcarona to the newly caught level 70 one in terms of stats, guess which one was higher.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
Pretty much what Mork said, Volcorona in BW2 seriously sucks to where it's not worth bothering with unless you're the really patient type now.

Gotta love the high life.
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

Nope. Sadly I didn't use the Volcarona. I didn't really like it before but now I'm really starting to like it. The main reason why I didn't use it cause I killed it because I didn't have Pokeballs with me at the moment nor did I bother to restart from my previous savepoint to buy Pokeballs since I was lazy and I already have a fire type for my team which was Emboar.
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Diversion
Mega Aerodactyl.

Nature: Serious
I used Volcarona, it's a big part of my team. I only used it in my Japanese Black 2 though.
I never used it in the English version, I used Flygon instead
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Student D1
De-Wott?

Location: It's where the sun rises, but it's smaller than Japan.
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to Student D1
Of course!... not.

In both White and White 2, my team is already fixed by the time I encounter this Fire/Bug-type Pokémon. Catching it was indeed a problem, but I was able to catch it using an Ultra Ball after 5-6 re-encounters. After that, I just kept it in the PC Storage.

There are many other Fire-type Pokémon that are way stronger than Volcarona, and they may have a better movepool than it. In my White, I already have a Chandelure, and in my White 2, I own a Growlithe.

Profile | PM | Intro Thread | PokéSpe | White 2 FC
Old March 8th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student D1 View Post
There are many other Fire-type Pokémon that are way stronger than Volcarona, and they may have a better movepool than it. In my White, I already have a Chandelure, and in my White 2, I own a Growlithe.[/COLOR]
The fact Volcarona has Quiver Dance alone would mean it's already better than Chandelure and Arcanine, but it also has a gigantic Special Attack stat and just about every move it needs to eliminate the opposition. Its only flaw is a big Rock weakness, and maybe a inferior Ability, but its Ability covers its poor physical defensive side quite well. You won't want to attack Volcarona with a Special move, but a physical contact move may burn you.

Volcarona is faster than Chandelure and has higher attacking stats than Arcanine. Arcanine can go mixed, but Volcarona has dual-STAB. It's the undisputed best Fire-type Pokémon in the game, and might even be better than Reshiram itself. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise...

EDIT: Since it learns a move only every 10 levels, it's wise not to use Volcarona during the story, though. But my argument still stands.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Cerberus87; March 8th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
B-L-A-Z-E
リズ

Nature: Impish
When I first played through black 2 I used it and it was a terrible experience . The only decent move it had through most of the main game was signal beam, which I had to get from a move tutor.

You wish it was this easy...
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

In White, I caught it just so I could have it in my Pokedex, but I didn't end up using it, since my team was well planned out by that point.

The same kind of goes for White 2. I already had a Growlithe on my team that I was ready to evolve, and I had my Houndoom I traded over from White, so I didn't need another Fire type with me.
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

In White, I caught and battled with it maybe once or twice, but never really used it that much. I just recently caught it in White 2, after doing some post game exploring while training some weak Pokemon.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old March 8th, 2013, 03:51 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Never used the ones you get for beating the game with, but they do get some usage from post-game stuff. They make for great Pokemon to use for the egg hatching routine, allowing you to fly and make use of Flame Body in one go. =)

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
The BBS Forums!
Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!
Home of Wynaut? Webzine; looking for contributors!
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:31 PM
D Dog master of war
Pokkén Tournament Champion

Nature: Docile
no I did not use Volcarona in both my Black 1 and Black 2,Because I have fire pokemon already and Darmanitan is the best in-game fire pokemon EVER!

I am A fighting Champion!!!

3DS FC: 3652-1583-8114
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Yeah, I used both.
The higher leveled Volcarona was more useful as it already had Quiver Dance and Bug Buzz.
The 35 level Volcarona was cool because I could use it in playthrough.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I was in Relic Castle last night while playing White 2 and wound up catching the Volcarona found there. Since I had a full party already it ended up getting transferred to my PC Box. It's stayed there ever since. I'll probably use it, but for breeding and EV training purposes post-game. I don't really have much use for it now and I already have a Fire-type on my team, Emboar.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here