The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 4th, 2013 (11:17 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Remake of this thread

To quote the original poster of this thread:

Quote:
Do you think maybe the Game Corner could make a comeback? Obviously the slots aren't coming back, but do you think maybe Voltorb Flip could make a return? Or a new game(s)? What kind of non-gambling games could you see in a new Game Corner?
I'm a huge fan of the Game Corner. Having it done in a similar way of how it was done in FR/LG would be nice. What do you all think? o:
Old March 4th, 2013 (11:27 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I still think the reasoning for it being removed was silly to begin with, so yes I'd love to see it come back. Most of the time I just bought coins for the prizes, but having the games there was fun when I wanted to play them.
Old March 4th, 2013 (03:19 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I still think the reasoning for it being removed was silly to begin with, so yes I'd love to see it come back. Most of the time I just bought coins for the prizes, but having the games there was fun when I wanted to play them.
Not wanting children to gamble is silly? Honestly, the gambling aspect alone can raise the rating up to M if the country that receives the games pushes for a correct rating. Children gambling isn't very funny, and while I was disappointed with the removal, its an understandable decision. If gambling is outlawed in areas then the games cannot be sold there. They stand to lose too much money because of one small feature.

No I don't think the gambling feature will return, nor do I think they will try to replace it.
Old March 4th, 2013 (03:39 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
Not wanting children to gamble is silly? Honestly, the gambling aspect alone can raise the rating up to M if the country that receives the games pushes for a correct rating. Children gambling isn't very funny, and while I was disappointed with the removal, its an understandable decision. If gambling is outlawed in areas then the games cannot be sold there. They stand to lose too much money because of one small feature.

No I don't think the gambling feature will return, nor do I think they will try to replace it.
I think assuming that children are going to start gambling because of a virtual slot machine in a Pokémon game is silly. I grew up with them in RBY/GSC and look, I'm not gambling. Do I understand why it was removed? Technically yes. Is it possible that there is a correlation between the Game Corner having a slot machine and children growing up to gamble because of it? Yeah, I suppose so. Do I still think it's silly? Yup.
Old March 4th, 2013 (04:33 PM).
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

I hope it returns because the removal of it was ridiculous. I hated that stupid Voltorb flip they tried one time and hated it. I want the good old Game Corner back!

"By force of will!"
Old March 4th, 2013 (04:50 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Honestly, what if they don't add in a new gambling game corner? What if they added in something similar, but child appropriate, like... arcade games for prizes? I can easily see that they can add something like that. Again, there wouldn't be any gambling involved, but rather, kids can play video games for tickets, and those tickets can be cashed in for prizes. A simple game can be like... you know one of those games where you throw a ball, and it lands in a hole that has different points depending on the size of each hole? I think it's called Skee Ball?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 4th, 2013 (04:55 PM).
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
Honestly, what if they don't add in a new gambling game corner? What if they added in something similar, but child appropriate, like... arcade games for prizes? I can easily see that they can add something like that. Again, there wouldn't be any gambling involved, but rather, kids can play video games for tickets, and those tickets can be cashed in for prizes. A simple game can be like... you know one of those games where you throw a ball, and it lands in a hole that has different points depending on the size of each hole? I think it's called Skee Ball?

Oh Yeah! This sounds fun as well. While I would still like to see the game corner return I would be happy with an arcade as well. and OMG YES Skee Ball is so fun they should put that in!

"By force of will!"
Old March 4th, 2013 (05:09 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I think assuming that children are going to start gambling because of a virtual slot machine in a Pokémon game is silly. I grew up with them in RBY/GSC and look, I'm not gambling. Do I understand why it was removed? Technically yes. Is it possible that there is a correlation between the Game Corner having a slot machine and children growing up to gamble because of it? Yeah, I suppose so. Do I still think it's silly? Yup.
Costing the company thousands of dollars due to lawsuits isn't silly in the least bit. Regardless of if kids do or don't. There wasn't anything silly about the removal and because of the issue it won't make a return.

The Arcade thing would have to have a bunch of minigames, and really I can see Voltorb Flip coming back specifically for that since its based off of Mine Sweeper. If not, which I can't really see them throwing in minigames that weren't like in FR/LG, then it would be hard to impossible to incorporate a replacement.

I don't think we'll ever have a "Game Corner" area again.
Old March 6th, 2013 (07:36 AM).
Forever
let it go

It probably won't be returning given that the standard was set and it didn't carry on in Unova so I figure they won't just skip one generation and give it to the games now. :(
Old March 6th, 2013 (11:28 AM).
Sorbet
sυᴘᴇʀɪᴏʀвᴇт

I loved the Voltorb Flip in HG/SS. It's easier than the original Game Corner + it's not real gambling, so if they invent something new à la Voltorb Flip I'll be fine.
Old March 6th, 2013 (12:11 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
It won't return because it is the sole cause for the higher rating in D/P/Pt. I find it really annoying though. The Game Corner was one of my favourite things in the Pokémon games. I suppose kids are just too impressionable these days, and parents are oversensitive.
Old March 6th, 2013 (12:31 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
It probably won't be returning given that the standard was set and it didn't carry on in Unova so I figure they won't just skip one generation and give it to the games now. :(
Well, arguably, I'd say, just because they haven't added to one generation of games, won't mean that they won't implement it in this generation of games, but... I can see what you mean. I just figured that if they won't implement the GC anymore, they'd at least make an arcade-like substitute.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old March 6th, 2013 (03:36 PM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I doubt there will be anything like a Game Corner at all. It wasnt in Gen 5, so I think this is it for any kind of game corner. I dont want to see another Voltorb Flip. Voltorb Flip was bad -_- I admit an arcade would be kinda cool, but Im not really missing the Game Corner.
Old March 9th, 2013 (07:51 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Sadly, I agree with this. They slowly began fading out the Game Corner beginning with the European copies of Platinum, later changing slot machines to Voltorb Flip in HG/SS, and then removing it entirely in the Fifth Gen. I doubt there's a chance we'll be seeing the Game Corner make a comeback anytime soon. Unlike most people though, I actually liked the Voltorb Flip and wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I would, however, love to see them introduce mini-games though or an arcade-like area as mentioned above. Being made for the 3DS, there's a lot they can do with that if they wanted to.
Old March 9th, 2013 (07:58 AM).
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I don't expect slot machines to return. I would like to see Voltorb Flip come back though, I thought it was actually fun once you figured out how to play it. Apart from that I feel like a variety of games would be nice. Perhaps one of those games that involve a marble going through a maze with holes in it and you use the 3DS's gyroscopic motion sensing to play it. That would be neat I think. Obviously other games but that's all I can think of.
Old March 9th, 2013 (09:29 AM).
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
Funnily enough, playing Pokemon Yellow as a child didn't turn me into a gambling addict.

Although I don't really care what they have. They could shake it up and include some kind of theme park or some cheesy quiz/reality show you could take part in. Like those crazy Japanese shows where people fall into pits and have horrible embarrassing things happen to them, all in the name of winning fabulous prizes.
Old March 9th, 2013 (02:47 PM).
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Why do people want the Game Corner back? Just so they can buy coins to get TMs instead of actually playing the slots?

With unlimited TMs, obviously the Game Corner isn't coming back. Its only use now is to buy prize Pokémon, and seriously I'd rather catch them myself or receive them from a Poké Ball like the Porygon in Platinum.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

Please give Boomburst to Pidgeot, GF!!!
Old March 9th, 2013 (02:56 PM).
Hikamaru
there is a truth
Community Supporter

Quote:
Yeah, Xander basically nailed it. As Aerilyn stated, the Game Corner was slowly getting phased out starting from the European Platinum versions disabling use of the slot machines due to anti-gambling laws that were implemented.

This also caused all non-Japanese versions of HeartGold and SoulSilver to have Voltorb Flip instead of slot machines, and 5th Gen eliminated the Game Corner entirely.

battle server | tumblr | profile | supporter
pairs | the welcome lounge | fairy-type club

Old March 9th, 2013 (03:01 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Well, I'm only betting that a game corner, or something like a game corner would come back only if it had some purpose in the X&Y story line. It doesn't have to involve gambling, but something else entirely. Like some form of friendly competition?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old March 9th, 2013 (03:07 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I think if it held some exclusive prizes (like TMs you couldn't find in the field or Pokémon exclusive to the Game Corner like Porygon was), then it would hold some merit to bring it back again. If that's the only reason they'd bring it back since you can't play slots or anything then I'd rather just found places to put those Pokémon and TMs out the the game somewhere else, since I wouldn't really want to waste time playing Voltorb Flip or something just to get them. If they revamped it and it was something like the Pokéathlon then it could be cool I guess.
Old March 9th, 2013 (03:24 PM).
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Xander's point is the point that I would make.

Somewhat related to this, has anybody here tried gambling in Borderlands 2? I could see people becoming addicted to that. Frankly I burned through a lot of 'money' in that, and became somewhat addicted to it. I don't remember if the original game corner was as addictive as that, but if something on the same level as BL2's gambling minigame where to be placed into Pokémon, they would have a problem on their hands... And so would I lol
Old March 9th, 2013 (05:37 PM).
BanditThePikachu
The Raichu of awesome

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to BanditThePikachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus87 View Post
Why do people want the Game Corner back? Just so they can buy coins to get TMs instead of actually playing the slots?

With unlimited TMs, obviously the Game Corner isn't coming back. Its only use now is to buy prize Pokémon, and seriously I'd rather catch them myself or receive them from a Poké Ball like the Porygon in Platinum.
Why isn't it coming back because of unlimited TM's?
How do you know the prizes couldn't be something like exclusive TM's that you can only get from getting a certain score/getting it through trade? Also, you could get prizes that you can sell for a lot of money, that'd be cool too.

It's possible to create some sort of mini-game that doesn't encourage gambling, even though I don't see how a Pokemon game can encourage it in the first place. I mean, that's like saying a kid could go out and kill people because of just playing Halo or something. Not saying that isn't possible, but simply unlikely. Very.
Old March 9th, 2013 (06:12 PM).
ISA56 2.0
The one and only!

Nature: Jolly
I personally always hated the Game Corner, because who wants to play slots or flip cards in a world where you can have what essentially are non-lethal dog fights that your creatures enjoy having everywhere for fun and profit? Seriously, its high time Game Freak threw the Corner out and replaced it with something more...fantastic. One possible idea would be something like Pokemon Snap, where you take photos of Pokemon on the overworld and get paid money, Berries, and various other prizes for taking exceptional pictures.
Pokemon Rijon Adventures

Old March 9th, 2013 (06:22 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:

This, along with the banning of gambling in Europe. It's important for GF to not make massive changes for localized versions of the game like what they did in Platinum and HG/SS.
Old March 9th, 2013 (07:53 PM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:

Oh good point! Although if they were to return, I'd say something along the lines of free Pokemon would likely occur, much like when you brought them in the earlier years.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links