The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > ARCHIVED: Battle Center

Notices

ARCHIVED: Battle Center This forum is designed for all of your Pokémon battling needs! The main forum is meant for discussions, battle requests, battle logs, and other threads related to battling. Look to the sub-forums for events and team help.

Old March 9th, 2013, 01:30 PM
LeftNut

Anyone else completely ignore tiers when choosing their competitive pokemon, instead opting to choose your favourites and totally rock the competitive scene with your bros? Personally, I've been kicking major behind in OU and Ubers with Scyther, Jigglypuff, Venomoth, Machamp, Nidoking and Sharpedo.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Munchlax11
Munch?

Nature: Serious
I don't completely ignore the tiers, but I try to use my faves when I can. Evolite Munchlax is actually really good so I use him a lot. Then another favorite of mine, Sableye works pretty well competitively because of Prankster, so luckily a few of my faves are decent competitively

|Ever Grande City Forums|My Profile|PM|Pokemoon Chatbox

Pokemon X
3DS FC: 2852-7439-1811
(VM if you add)
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Redew
You worry too much.

I play to win, so I go by the tiers. I don't necessarily have a /favorite/ group of Pokemon (except for Dratini because it is so cute <3,) but I usually pick a favorite of a tier and build around that / them. If they end up not working then I can replace them with no remorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchlax11 View Post
I don't completely ignore the tiers, but I try to use my faves when I can. Evolite Munchlax is actually really good so I use him a lot. Then another favorite of mine, Sableye works pretty well competitively because of Prankster, so luckily a few of my faves are decent competitively :)
Munchlax works in RU (although if it does currently I'd have to go with not really,) but don't take my word on it.

Last edited by Redew; March 11th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
Winning is always my utmost priority but I want to be a boss while doing it so I go with favorites more often than not. Gotta love Choice Band Escavalier under Trick Room lol.

Gotta love the high life.
Old March 10th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Aslan
the pretender

Not really unfortunately. I would if I could though, most of my favourites are rather bad in competitive battling so I tend to avoid them quite a bit unless I feel like mucking around or really desperately want to fit it in my team. Although used to do it ages ago until I sadly realised I couldn't win without figuring the best strategies and better Pokemon. :(
Old March 30th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Renemesis
Unhatched Egg

I use what the situation requires me to use, if I can
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:17 AM
Forever
let it go

Wouldn't use it in OU, luckily a lot of my favourite Pokemon competitively are found in NU so I have no issue with using them in NU n_n
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:21 AM
TinyBaffler
Unhatched Egg

It is in my opinion a silly notion that you cannot use your favourites simply because tiers exist. On the contrary, tiers actually facilitate people who want to use their favourites by relegating pokemon that are too powerful for them to the higher tiers. This problem, I think, has to do with the mindset of most competitive battlers that OU is the only "real" tier where serious battles may exist, and that some of them get offended when their favourites do not make it into the tier.

It is therefore, in my opinion, a better solution to simply pack up and move to the tier where most of your favourites reside, and be the best within that tier where your favourites can shine without the threat of overpowering top-tier pokemon from the tiers above.
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Stormborn
Indecisive

Nature: Relaxed
I've found you can use some Pokemon not considered competitively viable in a tier where it's not meant to be as long as it excels at the role you want it to do. Simply putting your favourite Pokemon on a team because you like it even though there are better options is silly but if it does a role well but sucks in other areas, good play and a good team will still allow it to excel.

The surprise factor is always good too.
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:06 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
Are you talking bout Smogan Competitions?

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links