The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

View Poll Results: Kris or Lyra?
Kris 97 70.80%
Lyra 26 18.98%
Both 14 10.22%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgyem View Post
Lyra has a poor design, whereas Kris had a good design and was overall a better female lead.

Plus, I was aggravated by Lyra's constant following of the PC. Her dialogue was awful, and she really did seem like the kind of person whom you'd have to tell to shut up every 5 seconds. That insane, near-lobotomized cheeriness is grating.
If you played as Lyra, Ethan was like that.

Though I'm going by what a friend told me, Lyra is Krys just as Ethan is Gold. Both were renamed for the remakes and given make overs. I feel a bit more content with that scenario.
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
Apparently, you guys are still butthurt about the replacement scrappy. Keep in mind that these are remakes to the original Gold and Silver, not Crystal, and they added very few elements from that game to the remake. Anyway, my preference between the two depends if I like to see them in a crossover with any of Nintendo's franchises or which female trainer I like to see to co-exist with the male trainer for the next SSB game based on their design. I pick Lyra because:

1. Red used his FR/LG outfit in both his game and in HG/SS/B2/W2, which means Crystal will not be chosen as a candidate for the female trainer due to her lack of appearance in any of them, thus making her non-canon like Leaf.
2. I love to see Lyra interact with the Mario characters
3. I enjoyed her anime incarnation (and her interest on relationships).
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
To tell the truth, I like Lyra better (the design). The reason everyone's fixated on Kris is because she was the first, and also the nostalgia factor.

Although I think the NPC versions of the playable characters were poorly utilized in HGSS. I felt like they didn't want to change the story too much, so they gave Lyra a very minor and at times annoying role. I'd have preferred if she did something more significant, like Dawn in DPPt.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
I never played Crystal, so my choice should default to Lyra... but I never much cared for her as a character, and her design seemed a little strange to me. However, I think Kris' design is only marginally better, and unless you're playing as her, she never shows up in game.

Since there isn't really any character attached to it, I guess I'll go with Kris, just based on what I can actually compare them both in (appearance).
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
Kris all the way. I like her design more and she looks like a trainer who's ready to battle. And the nostalgia factor is an added bonus. I like Lyra's design, but I find her character annoying cause of how she constantly bothers you with calls , some unnecessary , and she's too peppy. Though I liked her anime appearance.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:27 AM
C_r_e_a_m_p_u_f_f

Nature: Naive
Kris all the way. I simply don't think Lyra is "cute". I also have experience of Kris from the manga and Lyra's hat ruins it all...
Old February 11th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Venitardus
Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to Venitardus
Kris all the way. I always picked her for GSC. I think she is the best out of Lyra and Kris
Friend safari: Normal •Pokemon X/Y: Loudred, Dunsparce, Smeargle
Let me know if you add me, I'll add you as well. You wanna talk, then let's talk.
Owner of the club: Red like roses ~ RWBY fan club
Alpha Sapphire!!
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:06 PM
RenegadeClyde
....'-'.

Nature: Bold
Kris. I think Lyra's design is quite cool (The hat could be smaller) but I prefer Kris's style. I also have chosen Kris because of her manga counterpart...Heheh
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Ycia
Metal Generation.♥

Nature: Lax
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ycia
I like Kris, coz' she's stuck on my head since school days. XD
But Lyra is a lot better, I think because I love Balloon hats. XD
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Evey
Female Red

Nature: Adamant
I voted both. Though I do like Krys better (because of the manga) Lyra is actually very similar to her. I know the creators said that they made Lyra from scratch, but that's bull. Lyra and Krys both have the same hair-type with those cute little low pigtails. Also there body-type and stature are similar as well. Honestly it just seemed like they dyed Krys's hair brown and slapped a new more themed outfit on her. The rival character in Heart Gold/Soul Silver is SUPER annoying and cheery. Which isn't a bad thing if your in a bad mood. But when your wanting to advance to the next areas and battles its kindof annoying. Plus since I'm pretty sure this game was more directed as males, it makes Ethan (game-version of Gold) seem really girly and well....ya know. Nothing wrong against that of course, just doesn't match his intended personality. And that Marill, dear sweet Arceus...well enough ranting frum me X3
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Isseubnida
I live for the applause

Nature: Jolly
I like Lyra. Her hat is awesome.

Have you ever seen a chicken strip?
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM
soulryu
Passionate Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to soulryu
kris seems more outgoing then lyra
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM
TouchemonLearner
Bad Egg

Nature: Docile
Kris is so much better she looks like a serious trainer whereas Lyra looks like a girl who got lost on her way to the mall.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:14 AM
vovillia
CEO & Owner of VoVillia Corp.

Nature: Relaxed
I like Lyra more, maybe it's just a better quality sprite? A revamp of Kris' sprite would be nice to see...

Last edited by vovillia; March 6th, 2013 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Bad Grammar
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

I like both, definitely.
To me they are the same--just because Lyra was designed from scratch doesn't necessarily make her a different character (Silver's name defaults to Heart and Soul in the remakes, are they different? And I'd say Sabrina's redesign is even more drastic than Kris/Lyra's).

I really love Lyra's adorable outfit (especially that hat--I want it!!), and Kris's more tough, simple design is super cool, too! They're both great.
Old March 10th, 2013, 09:40 AM
LeftNut

Kris's sprite makes her feel like more of a strong female lead, while Lyra just looks like some girly little kid who can't take anything seriously, so Kris wins this one by a long shot. However, they made Gold and Silver a lot girly-er with their redesigns as well, so that might just be a general gen 4 thing.
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Altairis
I'M ALL FIRED UP

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Altairis
A lot of people are actually saying they like Kris because of hers or Lyra's design, I haven't really "everyone" posting about Kris's nostalgic factor.

Kris's design > Lyra's design imo. Lyra looks way too girly and like she's mid-falling over, plus her ingame sprite was a pain to play as. Kris actually looks like she's ready to go on a journey and can handle herself.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:05 AM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

I prefer Kris because in Pokemon Adventures, she was really awesome. She's good at battling AND capturing Pokemon. It made me really like her a lot. I still haven't seen the Pokemon Adventures version of Lyra, but I saw her anime version and nothing really appealed to me. Looks like just a regular trainer in the show.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Am I one of the very few who actually loves Lyra more?

I have to say, the reason I like her better than Kris is because Lyra is so cute, I love her hat and her hair color is so much like mine. She fits my description as a whole and that bow on her hat is what makes her awesome. I love cute protagonists like her.

Paired with Kouzan, Isaac and Heartouch
Battle Server | Tumblr | Profile | Supporter

Old March 13th, 2013, 12:53 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Lyra look too goofy to me...i just can't take her serious as a trainer.
Kris on the other hand looks really cool, like a trainer who means serious business, but is still nice and loving to her pokemon
She might even be the best looking female protagonist ever

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:54 PM
MetaLion
rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Am I one of the very few who actually loves Lyra more?
No, I think I do to. I never understood the concept behind Kris clothing and... hairstyle. Lyra is really cute and imo the best designed female protagonist. Unlike the Sinnoh female protagonist, she doesn't look overly weak and feminine and unlike the Hoenn trainers, she doesn't look like she's wearing a pokémon-training-suit of some kind. To give some examples of why.

Then, she wasn't the most cool antagonist in the game :p but since Gary and Silver, there hasn't really been any cool antagonists, and we actually had Silver in HG/SS. So.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I really dislike them both. They're my least favorite female protagonists.

But if I had to pick the lesser of two evils, I'd go with Kris. Her design is just average but Lyra (which is my favorite name, too... u_u) just looks like a weird genderbent Mario thing...

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Reaper716

Kris for sure. i love her personality on the comic. strong and tough~
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM
PokemonTrainerC.White
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Calm
Kris is my favorite one. She has blue hair, and she knows good Pokemon. I had level 100 Feraligatr and Dragonite in the breeding section. Lyra didn't get Teddiursa in HeartGold version.
Old March 28th, 2013, 08:23 PM
mew²
Helix 4 President!

Both, mainly because Kris was the original, the actual hardcore trainer.
While Lyra was just eye candy :L

Pokemon X - Ricky `~`
FC: 4871 4170 6707
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links