The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Advance Generation

Notices

Advance Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:28 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
If you've played a Hoenn game you would've noticed an abundance of water. The region has the most water routes of them all (and the most routes iicr). But did you like all this water? Did you find the need for water types annoying? Would you like to see more water routes in new games? How could it have been improved?

Discuss

So pretty~
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
Well i honestly thought there were too many water routes...i usually enjoy them quite a bit, but i think Hoenn had just too many. Although i loved the ability to dive, discover the underwater ruins, and how extensive the under water routes were. So all in all, it wasn't even that bad and it definitely fit the overall theme of Pokemon RBY, so i wouldn't put as many water routes in newer games

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
I thought they were fine. Like I've said in other threads, it has always made sense to me that the latter half of the game is spent on water. 1. It's a tropical region. 2. The first half was mainly on land, one part in particular at an active volcano. 3. The game is plotted on land vs. sea themes, as seen in Team Aqua and Team Magma, as well as the mascot legendaries Groudon and Kyogre. So while I can understand why people don't like them, they serve an obvious purpose.

Anyway, I thought they were pretty fun, and I thought Dive was a great way to make it more interesting than just Surfing like normal. The underwater life was pretty neat, however I wish the surface variety was better than just Tentacool, Wingull, and Pelipper. Maybe had they added Tentacruel, Luvdisc, Wailmer, some of the other stuff that you normally have to fish for, that would have helped. I mean, we got a ton of Water types introduced that gen. Put them on the water, please!
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:03 PM
LilJz
Make me your Aphrodite
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I didn't like the part where you had to go through the sea because of the damn random encounters ( I don't really use repel to save up the most money I can for the E4). But it's a tropical region, you can't have a tropical region without tons of water. So I'm not complaining about the abundance of water for the region, it fits perfectly but I just hated that part the most.

So abundance of water? Why not

Tackling that route? Ugh, here we go!
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Caelus
Gone

Considering it's tropical setting it only made sense to have an abundance of water. At least it was only in the second half of the game where you were required to surf a lot.

By the time I reached Lilycove I pretty much had my team set, so I just used repels during water routes.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Sonkitts

I loved it personally. I never understood the fuss over it. It's a tropical region after all.
Old March 12th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Correspondence

I really liked them even though the Tentacools bugged the hell out of me.And it made sense to have them because it is a tropical and it fits perfectly into the Aqua.vs Magma and Groudon.vs Kyogre story plot.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:43 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I though it was to much, I mean it was just the same pokemon over and over
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I have to say, the water routes was what set Hoenn apart from other regions but oh man I hated all those Tentacools... the routes would have been much more fun to traverse if they weren't around.

But then again Hoenn is a primarily tropical region so it does make sense.

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.

Nature: Quiet
With the addition of Dive, it made all of the water in Hoenn much more bearable. I personally thought it was nice (as long as you had some repels) since a majority of all other regions depend on land based travel, but if there hadn't been a couple of islands/the aformentioned dive spots spread throughout, that much water would've gotten old quickly.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM
AzaleaLightning
Bouncer, hey bouncer ♪

Nature: Sassy
I agree with Sydian that it makes sense that the latter half of the game is mostly on water, but I don't like it :c

I hate Surfing and needing Dive and Waterfall to navigate through the game. I do like a lot of the Water-types available in RSE though (Swampert, Gorebyss, Milotic, etc.) but it's easily my least favorite part of the game, aside from running in a giant circle around the map to get through the first five gyms. That doesn't make training very efficient, especially if your battery dies and Trainer Check doesn't work.

Tumblr | MyAnimeList
Ooh, let me in right now
or I'll get physical with you

Old March 15th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
It just bugged me that there weren't very many good water types in Hoenn accessible at the beginning of the game unless you chose Swampert (which I didn't). But for the latter part of the game, I was fine with it.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Necrum
The most dapper evil genius

Personally, I like that there's a lot of water. What I hated is how wide the water area is later in the game. It really made it feel like too much of a task to hunt down all the trainers, whereas in Kanto, I just needed to surf in the right pattern to find all the trainers. I ended up skipping a large number of trainers late in the game because I found it rather annoying and very easy to get lost and forget where you had checked already.
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Golden Warrior
Pokemon Professor

Send a message via Skype™ to Golden Warrior
Water routes could have been much more diverse. The main reason they are annoying is thanks to the overabundance of all the same Pokemon. Tentacool/cruel were far to easy to encounter whereas many Pokemon you actually WANTED were almost impossible to find, being only on one specific route or something.

Another thing that sticks out to me is this: Why would team aqua want more water if there is already a ton. Archie claims this is for a bigger place for water Pokemon to live, but... is that really necessary? Just my opinion there. Magma may have had the better idea...

3DS/Pokemon Y FC: 5300 - 9087 - 1138
I'll be up to battle or trade, I'll also always be up to multibattle. PM me if you add me here, give me a reason that you're adding me, and I'll be sure to add you back!

Friend Safari: Bug Type
Pokemon: Paras, Beautifly, and Pinsir.
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
"Yayayayayay!!!" was my first reaction after seeing the region map in the Pokénav. I loo-oove Water types, if you didn't know, so obviously I was thrilled to see the mostly sea continent. It inspires me to make a... Let's forget that. I even caught cute lil' Latias on water!

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:29 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I really liked all the water routes. I thought that the wide sea was awesome because it really let you explore more. It really fit Hoenn well.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Feebas
Unevolved

Nature: Lonely
I have to say, being a Fire-type trainer, all the water routes were quite annoying for me. I hope X and Y don't have as many.

Old March 29th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
My main grievance with it was that it was the only place to grind mid to end game, meaning types other than electric and grass were neglected (and I always needed to grind before the seventh gym, without fail).

Also, considering that I'm fond of fire types, the game could have used a lot more. I did like the diving though, a lot.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
The water routes were great because half of my team were grass types. I enjoyed the the rapids as it was unique. I never use fire types though if you want to know.
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:34 AM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
Who doesn't like surfing? The problem with the water routes in Heonn, is that, as others have said... it was all the same Pokemon. Constantly. Traversing them would have been more fun if the wild Pokemon varied...

Heonn was a tropical region, anyway.
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Bern

Nature: Relaxed
I really enjoyed exploring the seas, although the tentacool's were super annoying after a while .

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:52 AM
Sonkitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feebas View Post
I have to say, being a Fire-type trainer, all the water routes were quite annoying for me. I hope X and Y don't have as many.
You must have loved Sinnoh. You can count the water routes on one hand!
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:37 PM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

The water routes were awesome. Hoenn was an island in a tropical region and Game Freak really made it feel like it. The routes near Mossdeep City were a bit annoying though since it didn't have any guidance or anything so I kind of got lost a bit. :x Another thing I kind of hated was that they could have added a more variety of Pokemon on the water routes since about 80% of the Pokemon I saw were the Wingull and Tentacool Family.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:24 PM
inferno7453

I liked surfing all around the place, after all it fits Hoenn in every aspect, from it being a tropical region to one of the main legendaries being a water-type, and Team Aqua wanting to expand the water mass. The only downside IMO is the only (or the majority) of the Pokémon you'd find were the Wingull and Tentacool evolutionary lines.

Challenges completed:
-

Youtube Channel (for Challenge Updates): http://www.youtube.com/user/inferno7453
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
JustChillin810
xX_ElectricPikachu_Xx

Nature: Brave
Well it was kind of good and kind of not so good. It was good because you had the ability to dive and explore more places. Also I love water type pokémon I think they are incredible. But the downside is that you always have to face wild pokémon and that you don't have the option to go faster (your running ability doesn't work at all)

Pikachu is boss!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links