The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Advertise here

Old March 10th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave

Advertise here

The Leap Motion team is calling it "The Leap".

I mean wow. Just wow. I can imagine this kind of technology removing the need for keyboards and mouses and practically changing the way we see and use computers, as well as the way we design 3-dimensional models and blue-prints. This technology can speed up the time it takes to design a building or use 3D rendering programs. It can make gaming so much more fun. It can also go hand in hand with the recent Halographic technology to basically make what we see in Iron Man and Star Wars not so far-fetched. I mean this has already made Minority Report's awesomeness possible, what next?

Discuss. <3 Best thing about this is the price, it's friggin $7999 if you pre-order it now, and $6999 if you pre-ordered it before Feb 27. o;

Leap Motion main site: https://www.leapmotion.com/

More demonstration videos:
Spoiler:

Old March 14th, 2013, 04:46 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

Some of us have positively terrible handwriting, so I don't see it replacing keyboards outright, just making them optional for PC end-users.

The technology they're using seems to be very similar to the technology at the core of Duck Hunt for the NES, just extremely refined (as I would expect for a technology that old).
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

I really like the price, I thought it'd be far more than that. My current mouse, at retail price, was about $50, so for $30 more, I can be 99% more interactive with my computer. Which I really like. I might pick one up.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Cassino
Meduka Meguca

I'm sure this is technologically fascinating, but I can do everything perfectly fine and probably more precisely without waving my arms around, which is liable to be tiring anyway. Not to criticise the pursuit of alternative control mechanisms, I just don't think motion controls are really the way to go about it, personally. I am interested in the potential for 3D modelling, though.
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
Some of us have positively terrible handwriting, so I don't see it replacing keyboards outright, just making them optional for PC end-users.

The technology they're using seems to be very similar to the technology at the core of Duck Hunt for the NES, just extremely refined (as I would expect for a technology that old).
No no, haha, I wasn't referring to handwritten digital characters. I meant something like a 3D on screen keyboard that you can use as digital hardware. Now that would be awesome. Definitely take a while to get used to, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
I'm sure this is technologically fascinating, but I can do everything perfectly fine and probably more precisely without waving my arms around, which is liable to be tiring anyway. Not to criticise the pursuit of alternative control mechanisms, I just don't think motion controls are really the way to go about it, personally. I am interested in the potential for 3D modelling, though.
True true, it would take time to adapt to this control mechanism, but I still think future Operating Systems can be changed to fit this kind of tech. Personally I think it's too early to incorporate said tech so deeply into computers right now, but I can still see this little gadget built into future laptop models right next to the mouse pad, especially for gaming. It could even be built into console controllers for specific games programmed specifically to fit motion control. I don't know, just seems like a great concept!

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I don't think waving my arms around is going to help much in the comfort department, to be honest. I think I'll take a wait-and-see approach on this. Motion control feels strange when you have to make exaggerated movements, and I hope this isn't the case when it's out in the wild, as a retail product.

In the meantime, I think I'll stick to traditional and a touchscreen.
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Catalyst.
Nothing of significance

I agree with twiggy. This doesn't exactly look comfortable. Besides, how long before operating system/driver support gets to an acceptable level? Linux still has trouble with ATI GPUs, so I wouldn't want to know how long something like this would take. And don't even get me started about hackintosh.

Looks cool and all, i just see some pretty major flaws.
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:35 AM
Serene Grace
ニャース

Nature: Relaxed
I unfortunately be a devil's advocate here and say this is nowhere near a "leap" in computing as it is a possible keyboard replacement in the future. I personally don't see it catching on but then again, I said the same for the iPhone and I own one so you never know.

However I do believe that any true leap that does revolutionise the way we use computers is when we achieve quantum computers (which apparently has already be done).
Old April 19th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Pixadom
Unhatched Egg

I reckon the Oculus Rift will definitely change the way we use computers for gaming. Though in terms of casual use, I think touch screens are already on their way to removing the mouse and keyboard to an extent.

PIXADOM - FREE ONLINE 2D PIXEL MONSTER MMORPG

Pixadom is a free 2D online pixel MMORPG where you can fight monsters, meet new people, chat and play games, explore the virtual Pixadom world, battle with other players, complete quests, earn XP, and more!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here