The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukerules117 View Post
I cant get it to work help me
Which rom are you patching? And what error do you get?

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old February 13th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Lilio

Nature: Modest
I used your randomizer on platin and it's awesome. I got Jirachi and Mew on the the first routes, haha =)

What I would like to aks, would it be possible to add an option that only unevolved wild pokemon appear? I like to train them myself and stuff. Also random catch rates or an option to choose a constant chatch rate for every Pokemon would be nice.
Old February 15th, 2013, 01:26 AM
FarkDerpMan
Unhatched Egg

Never mind what I said, I was being stupid.

Last edited by FarkDerpMan; February 15th, 2013 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Problem fixed.
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Dabomstew
Unhatched Egg

Been a while since I last posted - oops! Things have been ticking along since then, and I've just released a new version 1.2.0 with several significant updates. To reply to feedback since I last did so:

sabrino (Mystery Dungeon) - The PMD games are not something I've ever played, nor investigated in great depth, but it's certainly not impossible.

Time2 (catch rate) - The catch rate option *does* work - just note that a catch rate of 45 is still reasonably hard to catch with Poke Balls. You will definitely see the difference with anything better though.

Lilio (unevolved Pokemon in wild) - Something like this has been proposed for a while, I just have never got round to it. I'm sure it'll come eventually!
Old February 21st, 2013, 02:04 AM
Krobelus
RainbowNoodleWarrior

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomstew View Post
Been a while since I last posted - oops! Things have been ticking along since then, and I've just released a new version 1.2.0 with several significant updates. To reply to feedback since I last did so:
Do you have a changelog? I can't seem to find anything detailing what's in 1.2.0.

YouTube Channel
Pokemon Pearl FC:
4296-8996-1956

Pokemon Heart Gold FC:
3009-0281-8050

Pokemon White 2 FC:
1765-0509-2291

Old February 21st, 2013, 06:43 AM
Dabomstew
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobelus View Post
Do you have a changelog? I can't seem to find anything detailing what's in 1.2.0.
Whoops - here you are:
Spoiler:
- An update check has been added to the program which will check for new versions of the randomizer when you open it.
* If you have the external config version correctly extracted, you will be able to update automatically and preserve things like your custom trainer classes and names.
* If you have the internal config version you will be directed to the downloads page to update.
* If the update check fails due to the site being down or a lack of an internet connection, the randomizer will still work fine.
* You can also download a randomizer version with the update checks disabled, if you prefer.
- You can now load & save quick settings files which will allow you to perform randomizations with set options. This is useful as it allows you to produce similar ROMs with different actual randomized results. A few sets of recommended settings are included with the randomizer in the settings directory. The included settings are as follows:
* Balanced: Most things are randomized, but in a way that should lead to a reasonably balanced & fun playing experience. Trainers get Pokemon of similar strength, starters are limited to Pokemon with 2 clear evolutions, neither trainers nor wild Pokemon areas have legendaries, and legendary battles just have the Pokemon swapped to another legendary.
* Classic: This creates an experience similar to what the idea of randomized Pokemon was when it was first created - starters and wild Pokemon are randomized. Added to these along the same lines are the randomization of Hidden Hollows (in Black/White 2) and static Pokemon. Trainers pokemon, moves and the like are left alone.
* Trainers Only: Allows you to approach a "new" set of trainers with the rest of the game left unchanged. Trainers each have a type theme (which is kept consistent across Gyms if they're in one) and will use Pokemon of similar strength to the originals, avoiding legendaries entirely and Shedinjas at lower levels.
* Randomizer Race: Produces settings which are recommended for randomized Pokemon races on speedrunslive.com. Mostly everything is randomized unrestricted except the core Pokemon stats, abilities and types.
* Super Randomizer Race: The same as above, except with all the core Pokemon traits also randomized. For the brave.
- Foreign language versions of Generation 2, 3, and 5 games are now fully supported (except the Korean releases of Gold/Silver).
- Randomization of Pokemon held items has been added up to a point. In every generation wild Pokemon have their held items randomized, and in Generations 2 & 3 the starters have random held items too. More held item randomization will be added in future releases, where it is possible to do so. Potentially, items on the ground could also be randomized in the future.
- The randomization for HeartGold/SoulSilver fishing & surfing Pokemon has been fixed.
- The "area" locations for Pokemon in the Pokedex of Black 2 / White 2 are now updated. Sadly, the Habitat List can not be updated due to technical restrictions. The "area" data may still be broken in other games - this will be checked & fixed in the near future.
- Generation 2 games now have the text displayed when TMs are received from an NPC updated.
- Generation 2 games have better trainer name randomization - many more names can be picked for each trainer than was previously allowed.
- Generation 2 games now have the Pokemon catchable in the Bug Catching Contest randomized.
- A bug concerning corrupted trainer names when the trainer names text file contains strange characters has been fixed.
- Support for randomizing Generation 3 ROM hacks (hacks of Ruby, Emerald or Fire Red) should now be improved. However, I cannot say if a specific ROM hack will work now - you still have to try them for yourself. Hacks that make large scale changes to events, trainers or expand the number of Pokemon available are still very unlikely to work properly.
- Extensions should now be added properly to short saved filenames (less than 5 characters).
- The Pokemon that the professor shows you in Generation 1, 2 and 3 games (except Yellow) in the intro is now randomized, as a reminder that you are playing a randomized game. Do note that there is a small chance the original Pokemon could be chosen - this isn't a bug if it happens!
- FireRed/LeafGreen are now patched to allow evolutions of Johto or Hoenn pokemon even if you do not use the "Give National Dex at start" option. This is in preparation for the removal or improvement of said option in the future, as it does not work very well right now.
- DS hacks which have strange header data in their NARC files (such as Blaze Black 2 / Volt White 2) should no longer bug out the randomizer or refuse to load entirely. They are still not officially supported, however, and will probably not work well yet.
- An obscure bug relating to TM item updating in the Generation 4 DS games has been fixed.
- The text when the rival recieves his (randomized) starter in Fire Red / Leaf Green is now updated.
- Pokemon that have more than 4 level 1 moves will now still be guaranteed to have a damaging move in their starting set.
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:24 PM
sabrino
Unhatched Egg

lol i really love this

i download it

don't forget to do the random pallets, which are now included in some RBY/GSC randomisers...

good luck guy, you are working hard

Oh, and think about randomize PDM games. It could be a fun thing, but also a awesome springboard for the Rom hacking...

Last edited by sabrino; February 22nd, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Noossab Blue

Nature: Quirky
I have to say this is just a brilliant tool.

I second the non-evolved wilds suggestion, but already what you have done with this is phenomenal. Keep up the great work!

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Old February 24th, 2013, 07:26 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
This is probably the greatest thing in the history of forever.

I hope that made sense.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Iny Gage
Forum Dweller.

Nature: Jolly
You are a LIFESAVER!
I took control of the new Reandomized Nuzlocke Challenge thread and it was only avaliable to Red Blue and Emerald, You opened it up to Pretty much all the games now and for that I thank you!
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:34 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

Nature: Sassy
I'm actually having trouble randomizing any game when it comes to wild pokemon, I'm not really sure why.

Anyone else have this same issue?

Old February 27th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Simon3dg
Unhatched Egg

I used this tool to randomize PkmFR, now i got myself a Scyther and I was wondering when it's gonna evolve to Scizor. Do i need the metal coat? I made it so that trade evos shouldn't be necessary.
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Dabomstew
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon3dg View Post
I used this tool to randomize PkmFR, now i got myself a Scyther and I was wondering when it's gonna evolve to Scizor. Do i need the metal coat? I made it so that trade evos shouldn't be necessary.
It should be Level 30, but because of a small bug at the moment it will be level up with high happiness.

Quote:
don't forget to do the random pallets, which are now included in some RBY/GSC randomisers...
Those are heavily game-specific, and the guy who made the original RBY palettes has already had some documented struggles making them for his upcoming improved Emerald randomizer. For now, I don't plan on doing that.

Quote:
I'm actually having trouble randomizing any game when it comes to wild pokemon, I'm not really sure why.

Anyone else have this same issue?
What games are you trying to randomize? What actually happens when you try to randomize wild Pokemon?
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:22 PM
TrollShammy80
Loved all Pokemon Since 98'

Nature: Quiet
Thank you very much for this now I can have more of a challenge in my rom hacks (Blaze Black etc)

Proud MLP Fan/NCIS/Ghost Hunters/Ghost Adventures/CSI and many others
RIP: Step Mom 7/17/53-7/2/13
RIP: Uncle Jesse ???-1/3/2014
"I do breed for IVs/Ev's...but I always remember to have fun playing Pokemon"
"I always play for fun on my emulators and Y version only"
www.youtube.com/trollshammy80
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Tackle
Pancham

Nature: Timid
Wow, the Randomizer, thank you for making this! =D
I really love this tool, sometime it's funny. xD Aww speechless.
This is also useful for Nuzlocke play.

Feel free to VM / PM me, I'll be sure to reply your messages!

Paired with ForeverDash, MidnightShine, Shadowraze, Daniel Evans and Hoenn.

Also known as Clown of Hearts.

Join Castelia City Forums now!

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:44 AM
iambatmanlol

I was just wondering, you seem to have made a list of the evolution replacements (with no trade evos ticked). Is there any chance of you posting some form of that, It feels like a bit of a guessing game atm.
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:57 PM
NARFNra
Unhatched Egg

Originally Posted by iambatmanlol View Post
I was just wondering, you seem to have made a list of the evolution replacements (with no trade evos ticked). Is there any chance of you posting some form of that, It feels like a bit of a guessing game atm.
They're directly at the top of the log file.
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:50 PM
iambatmanlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFNra View Post
They're directly at the top of the log file.
If that's the case then where is the log file? I went through all the readable files for the program to find what you suggested to no avail. Would it be possible for a more detailed description?
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:25 PM
ShyRayq
Unprofessional Unprofessional

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambatmanlol View Post
If that's the case then where is the log file? I went through all the readable files for the program to find what you suggested to no avail. Would it be possible for a more detailed description?
Okay, when you randomise a game, press randomise. Then lots of stuff happens, and the program says: Do you want a log file? Press yes and HOORAY. You have a file that contains every single change in the rom. Fantastic
Live Pokedex Completed as of 02/03/14
Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X and Elements1

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:59 AM
NARFNra
Unhatched Egg

Hello, I've been having an issue where the program will load a file but refuses to execute changes. If I only change one thing or just load and then save the program without changing anything, it seems to work, but if I change more than a little it screws up. It's kind of weird, since I've been running this program several times recently and it's only stopped working now.

I tried running it in terminal to see if it came up with an error message, and indeed it did.

Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.romhandlers.AbstractRomHandler.pickReplacement(AbstractRomHandler.java:1636)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.romhandlers.AbstractRomHandler.typeThemeTrainerPokes(AbstractRomHandler.java:734)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.performRandomization(RandomizerGUI.java:3205)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.saveROM(RandomizerGUI.java:2620)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.saveROMButtonActionPerformed(RandomizerGUI.java:3675)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI.access$14(RandomizerGUI.java:3674)
    at com.dabomstew.pkrandom.gui.RandomizerGUI$15.actionPerformed(RandomizerGUI.java:1894)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2012)
    at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2335)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:404)
    at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
    at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:253)
    at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6108)
    at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
    at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:5873)
    at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2105)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4469)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2163)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4461)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4125)
    at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4055)
    at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2149)
    at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2478)
    at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4295)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:604)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
Does this make sense to you?

EDIT: Weirdly enough, it seems to work if I do it piece by piece. I don't understand what's happening.

Last edited by NARFNra; March 14th, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:17 AM
iambatmanlol

I unsure if it would be possible for an application like this to achieve what I want, but are you able to add a option for adding all pokemon into equivalent routes? (e.g. all pokemon you find in the first route of each game are grouped together. Or the victory road pokemon are pooled together.) Kind of like how it was done in Blaze Black and many others. This would make it possible to play a minimalist version of those hacks and could allow a different spin to "Catch em' all! Mode" without the need to be based on chance.
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:54 AM
JeffL204523
The Fire Dragon Pokemon

Nature: Gentle
Have any good seeds/strings for me to try out on any of the generations? Seeing some of the possibilities sounds like a good idea to me.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Amcmilla13
Unhatched Egg

Is there any way to make this work with hacks like liquid crystal or shiny gold? I'd love to be able to play those randomized.
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Jimmeh36

Great tool, I also think unevolved wild pokemon (or only evolved if they've reached their evolution level) and an option to apply the physical/ special split would be fantastic.
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:14 AM
NARFNra
Unhatched Egg

Originally Posted by Jimmeh36 View Post
Great tool, I also think unevolved wild pokemon (or only evolved if they've reached their evolution level) and an option to apply the physical/ special split would be fantastic.
I would also approve of unevolved-until-evo level Wild Pokemon, as well as possibly no wild Stone/Happiness evolution Pokes that have already evolved until later. Maybe even something like the "replace Pokemon with same power Pokemon' rule for Wild Pokemon instead of trainers.

The Physical/Special split is really hard to apply though. People bumbled about working for one for Gen III for a while and I think they made one, but it was rather buggy in my experience; Gen II also had a recent Crystal hack(search for Crystal Complete, skeetendo) with the split but honestly I would suggest just using that one as a base if you want to play Crystal with the P/S split, sorry about the lack of G/S. I'm pretty sure a P/S hack for RBY is basically impossible, lol, but who knows?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here