The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Cassino

Fifth Generation Pokémon Series → Fifth Generation Games (DS)
Advance Generation Games (GBA) → Third Generation Games (GBA)
Metal and Color Generation Games (GB/GBC) → First & Second Generation Games (GB/GBC)

Fourth remains the same as it's the basis for the suggested format.
DA | YT | If you found an AK with green plastic furniture and an MP5 with a straight mag on your desk when you woke up this morning, that means you've had too much vodka, sausage and this music last night.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Sydian
you burn with us

Nature: Timid
I wouldn't like it. My forums have had their names forever. If anything, Fourth and Fifth Gen should just be named their generation's nickname. It'd still be consistent. "# Generation Games" just sounds boring.

paired to peeta
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Forever
let it go

I agree as far as my section is concerned, although I'm not a fan of (DS) so I'd rather if that were removed for the new generations.

Alternatively I wouldn't mind if we were called Adventures in Unova again, either...
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Hikamaru
dude, woman up!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I totally support this, since I sometimes get the sections confused.

If I had to do a naming scheme fitting with Syd's sections, I'd see Fourth Generation Games be named 3D Generation Games (4th Gen is known as the 3D Gen for being the first generation to have 3D graphics in a Pokemon game) while Fifth Generation should be Monochrome Generation Games, due to the naming scheme with Black and White being monochrome.

But Cassino's suggestion isn't all too bad either since it's simple.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
^ Ilike what they made, made the forum less confusing.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Wilhelm
Hail the Almighty Robot Policeman

Nature: Adamant
The names would be utterly boring if we changed them. And there should be no reason for confusion since each section has the games it covers show with the forum in question.

Old March 12th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Well....I'd have to ask, why is it necessary? :( Is there any sort of confusion with them currently? I mean, my two cents is that there's nothing really wrong with how they're organized, and, I don't want to sound a like a parrot (but I'll do it anyway), it'll just sound...bland, I suppose. u__u
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Oryx
Of the pigeon, by the pigeon, for the pigeon
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I don't really understand why the fifth gen section didn't become the one you suggested.

I don't really think there IS a nickname for fourth gen though, or at least none I know. 3D generation isn't widespread enough that if someone asked me "what's the 3D generation?" I would have an answer to it. Actually I'd probably answer X/Y.
PM
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Sydian
you burn with us

Quote:
Well....I'd have to ask, why is it necessary? :( Is there any sort of confusion with them currently? I mean, my two cents is that there's nothing really wrong with how they're organized, and, I don't want to sound a like a parrot (but I'll do it anyway), it'll just sound...bland, I suppose. u__u
There shouldn't be when two of the three forums that were suggested to have a name change in this thread all have big, bold, colorful prefixes right there in the forum description. Kind of hard to miss. And they tell you what the games are. So...yeah. idk how anyone could be confused, if there is any confusion anyway.

paired to peeta
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

I'm more concerned with this: why are the forums for the main-series Pokémon games separate?

Spoiler:

This makes the absolute most sense (and how it used to be, if I remember correctly). Move all of the main series games into a category in a logical order of most recent - least recent, and then move the forums that are from alternative Pokémon gaming to a category of their own. That way, the Pokémon main series discussion forums are all in a neat, easy to find area near each other. Why separate old generations from the most up-to-date generation?

General Pokémon Gaming Discussions -> Alternative Pokémon Gaming
Description: For players who extend their Pokémon gaming experience well past the general adventures the game provides.
ie: Players who trade, battle, competitive battle, and play the games with challenges in mind.
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Livewire
League Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
If anything, Nick's idea makes the most sense and is the most organized imo.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014

Last edited by Livewire; March 12th, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Esper

Couldn't we have something that combines the two?

Advance Generation Games (3rd Gen: GBA)
Metal and Color Generation Games (1st and 2nd Gen: GB/GBC)

And so on. Or is that just confusing things more?

deviantart blog pair
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
I like Patch's idea. Though not "Current Generation Pokemon Gaming" Seeing as anything after 5th Gen right now is not Current and when Gen 6 comes out 5th won't be current. Why not name it Main Pokemon Games since they are the main Pokemon games?
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Main Series Pokémon Gaming
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

I agree with Syd that "# Generation Games" sounds boring but the nicknames aren't necessarily intuitive to everyone and I don't think anyone calls 4th or 5th gen by a nickname? If they do, I certainly don't know what it is so if we changed those games to match the previous gens down the line, I think it would confuse a lot of people who aren't familiar with the terminology. :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
I'm more concerned with this: why are the forums for the main-series Pokémon games separate?

Spoiler:

This makes the absolute most sense (and how it used to be, if I remember correctly). Move all of the main series games into a category in a logical order of most recent - least recent, and then move the forums that are from alternative Pokémon gaming to a category of their own. That way, the Pokémon main series discussion forums are all in a neat, easy to find area near each other. Why separate old generations from the most up-to-date generation?

General Pokémon Gaming Discussions -> Alternative Pokémon Gaming
Description: For players who extend their Pokémon gaming experience well past the general adventures the game provides.
ie: Players who trade, battle, competitive battle, and play the games with challenges in mind.
The problem I have with it is that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense (to me) to split up the current games and Trading/Battling. And later, it won't make any sense to have those forums hidden in a totally different category from X/Y because it just confuses people who have come to PC just to discuss and play those games. It might look nicer to people who are here quite often but I don't think it's as functional.

Maybe splitting it the way we used to have it, with the wifi functions in their own category:

Main Games
- Pokemon X/Y
- Generation 5
- Generation 4
- Generation 3
- Generation 1&2

Wireless Stuff
- Trade Corner
- Battle Centre

General Gaming
- PKMN Gaming Central
- Spinoffs
- Challenges

It gives us two fairly small categories but it would keep things fairly obvious. :/ (Note I've obviously not given the names of any forums any thoughts, haha.) Wifi is still separate from the generations that use it but at least it isn't tucked away with forums that have literally nothing to do with it and in its own category, it'll still stand out.

The only problem I have with Nick's second category idea is that it isn't very intuitive to me. You've got Gaming Central which is kind of how you talk about all the generations at once, so shouldn't that go in the category with all of them as its catch-all? Then if we're categorizing everything else as "adventures past what the game has to offer", Spinoffs doesn't really work with that description--it wouldn't make sense in either of the categories anymore but if I had to pick, I'd probably think it fits in better with the main games as a second kind of catch-all forum. And that leaves Wifi and Challenges which make for a pretty small category as well as a maaassive games category. :[

Honestly, I kind of like how it is now. I remember the main reason that the setup was switched to "Current Gaming" was to keep Wifi next to whatever current generations there are. Plus, as more and more generations crop up, that main category will get really crowded. Keeping just the most relevant generations in there, plus whatever wifi functions they have, makes it really easy to find what you're looking for if all you want to do is discuss the latest Pokemon games.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old March 12th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Sydian
you burn with us

I don't see a reason in changing anything. Names or forum order. Just seems like it's being suggested for the sake of change. You just moved 4th gen into GPGD. That's enough change for now and quite frankly, I don't want any other major changes done to my forums.

paired to peeta
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Honestly, I kind of like how it is now. I remember the main reason that the setup was switched to "Current Gaming" was to keep Wifi next to whatever current generations there are. Plus, as more and more generations crop up, that main category will get really crowded. Keeping just the most relevant generations in there, plus whatever wifi functions they have, makes it really easy to find what you're looking for if all you want to do is discuss the latest Pokemon games.
Oh. Well, if that's the reason for doing that, then I don't have any problem with keeping it the way it is now. You do have a point that the average user is most interested in the most up-to-date generation, and the trade corner specifically where it is now is a lot more easily accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I don't see a reason in changing anything. Names or forum order. Just seems like it's being suggested for the sake of change. You just moved 4th gen into GPGD. That's enough change for now and quite frankly, I don't want any other major changes done to my forums.
Or for the sake of making things make more sense?
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

After reading this thread, and giving things a bit more thought (more like, reading Erica's post more closely lmao), I really like her layout of things. I mean for example, if I was a new user (and I would assume in the eyes of many new users), I would just want to go to where I was interested in right away instead of looking around forever and a day for it. The current layout definitely makes sense, don't get me wrong, and I haven't seen anything wrong with it, or anyone complain about it or anything like that, but I suppose I like Erica's layout because it increases efficiency.

Of course, there's always the problem of more and more Pokemon games coming out and the Main Pokemon Games forum getting larger and larger. And then some are going to get inactive, kind of like how Black/White was when Black 2/White 2 was released. I personally like how the staff kind of merges forums together for the sake of space, as well as activity/general relevancy, because that maximizes efficiency as well, and you're generally hitting multiple birds with one stone here.

I mean, I see this as only a problem in the long term, because I don't know of h-staff are going to keep merging forums every single time a certain generation becomes irrelevant to current discussion, and there comes a point where the merging would just look tacky, but unfortunately I don't really have much to suggest. :( I guess this is my tl;dr, don't know if it'll mean much.

If my post doesn't make sense, I'll be happy to clarify. I feel like I really badly worded this post, but we'll see. xD;
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Livewire
League Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to Livewire
Quote:
I agree with Syd that "# Generation Games" sounds boring
No, having 'Other' or 'General' in front of everything is boring.

Quote:
Main Games
- Pokemon X/Y
- Generation 5
- Generation 4
- Generation 3
- Generation 1&2

Wireless Stuff
- Trade Corner
- Battle Centre

General Gaming
- PKMN Gaming Central
- Spinoffs
- Challenges

It gives us two fairly small categories but it would keep things fairly obvious. :/ (Note I've obviously not given the names of any forums any thoughts, haha.) Wifi is still separate from the generations that use it but at least it isn't tucked away with forums that have literally nothing to do with it and in its own category, it'll still stand out.

The only problem I have with Nick's second category idea is that it isn't very intuitive to me. You've got Gaming Central which is kind of how you talk about all the generations at once, so shouldn't that go in the category with all of them as its catch-all? Then if we're categorizing everything else as "adventures past what the game has to offer", Spinoffs doesn't really work with that description--it wouldn't make sense in either of the categories anymore but if I had to pick, I'd probably think it fits in better with the main games as a second kind of catch-all forum. And that leaves Wifi and Challenges which make for a pretty small category as well as a maaassive games category. :[

The Alternative Discussions part fixes this, though.

Current gen gaming:

-X&Y
-B&W
-Gen 4
-Gen 3
-Gen 1&2

Then:

Challenges
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Spin-Offs
GPGD stuff

It's much more organized this way. And to be honest, having Wifi near the current gen was helpful.... back in 2007 when it was new. It's not like people are still getting used to using Wifi to trade anymore.
ORAS Release Staff Collab 2014
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
I don't disagree there. :(
Quote:
It's much more organized this way. And to be honest, having Wifi near the current gen was helpful.... back in 2007 when it was new. It's not like people are still getting used to using Wifi to trade anymore.
But it's not about whether it's new and confusing anymore, it's about being able to find it in an instant. It is not intuitive to have discussion directly related to the current generation--be it 5th Gen right now or X/Y in a few months--in a separate category from the forum specifically for that generation. If I'm playing the newest game that just came out, when I look up the forum for that game, Wifi should be really close to it. If not, it should be in a section that makes it stand out (ie, its own category). Wifi isn't really "Alternative". It's a core feature of the games and, arguably, one of the main reasons to seek out forums like PC. It should never be pushed into an "Alternative" section because call it what you will, Alternative is just another word for Other/General and the new way would treat it solely as a catch-all for things not in the main series. And Wifi IS the main series so I don't naturally make the connection that it would belong there.

tumblrtwitter

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:

Current gen gaming:

-X&Y
-B&W
-Gen 4
-Gen 3
-Gen 1&2

Then:

Challenges
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Spin-Offs
GPGD stuff

This would help too, I suppose, but what about the issue of the Main Series forum getting too big? Of course, D/P And HG/SS were merged into one forum and moved, and the same happened with Black and White/ Black and White 2, but I still see this as kind of a problem, which is why I kind of came up with this:

And before reading over this, I did kind of change the names around a bit, really. I'll be fair and honest with you: I liked Adventures in Unova for fifth gen. I'm of the opinion that you should add some personality to your forums, make it more exciting and fun to post in. It sounds stupid to some of us that a simple forum name would have an effect, but you'd be surprised. It's already pretty much proven because a lot of people here seem to be dissatisfied with the prospect of "# Generation Games". So let's change that around a bit, shall we?

Also, note that I realize that, if Unova gets this change, then I am aware that every single Pokemon-related forum pretty much gets the same treatment, which may be hard for those who aren't the most creative ever at coming up with names, but I'll do my best. ^^;

Main Series Pokemon Games

- Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - I'm leaving this forum as it is because obviously there's no information on the region name or anything about the games as of yet, so it's hard to come up with something remotely creative or fun or anything like that.
- Adventures in Unova! - Pretty much already stated why!
- Replaying the Remakes - Not a while lot of people would get the pun, but this is in reference to both HG/SS and FireRed and Leafgreen. Upon reading this, a lot of you are going to look at me like I'm freaking nuts. But you have to remember that the more Pokemon games that come out, the more the higher staff would have to merge things around, and I assume that merging can get exhausting at times, and a lot of things are taken into consideration before doing so, y'know? HG/SS and FR/LG are both remakes respectively, and the biggest problem I have with this is the hypothetical situation of other remakes of other generations occuring, which imo is extremely unlikely because other than the Ruby/Sapphire remakes everyone wants, I don't see any other remakes coming for a loooong time. This is an excellent way to condense remakes into one forum, keeping things neat, tidy, and organized.

Or

Another potential problem I have with this is that both HG/SS and FR/LG are two completely different generations. For those of us who are OCD with organization, that might be an annoying bug that'll we'll never squash, so to speak, so that would require making one forum for FR/LG and another one for HG/SS...but then again, why? HG/SS nor FR/LG are current, so regardless of whether or not they're separate generations, I personally feel that the fact that they're remakes is more than enough to warrant them getting a forum together.

I mean, you don't see Spinoffs being separated by generations, right? They're all pretty much crammed into one forum.

The third Generation forum could be named something like...I dunno, Hot weather in hoenn or something stupidly punny like that, as long as it sounds fun and it has some sort of ring to it within the games. Sorry lol, I'm just getting really lazy with names now. u_u But I hope a lot of you understand where I'm coming from.

Just to reiteration, this solution: A) Keeps things tidy and organized and B) Kind of eliminates the need for constant merging, allowing discussion for various main series games to stay in one forum, and if any kind of merging is necessary, it's pretty rare.
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Honestly, while I find "Generation #" to be boring, it's also very functional. :/ I've never been a fan of vague/crazy names in thread titles and I feel the same way with forum names. It may be more interesting to look at but it's not instantly recognizable what the forum is for, either.

tumblrtwitter

Old March 12th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Honestly, while I find "Generation #" to be boring, it's also very functional. :/ I've never been a fan of vague/crazy names in thread titles and I feel the same way with forum names. It may be more interesting to look at but it's not instantly recognizable what the forum is for, either.
See, that's why I also feel that it's a double-edged sword at the same time. Crazy names for forums might look good on paper, but how well does it actually function? I mean, I've heard both sides of the spectrum back when Fifth Generation was "Adventures in Unova!", and I'm pretty much indifferent. I feel that it adds some sort of extra touch to the forum, and it makes it sound a lot more fun than just "Fifth Generation Games". Maybe it's just kind of a psychological way to look at it? :( When things sound more fun, they become a lot more fun, even if there's no actual change within the forum content itself, if that makes sense.

I've also heard the opposite side say that the name was just extremely cheesy, but I guess that's pretty much up to personal taste. I do think that seeing those names on a whole, while it would be interesting, would be really awkward for those of us who have been here for a while, maybe not for the new users.
Old March 12th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Cosmotone8
silhouette of the past

Location: Boston, MA, USA, Earth, Sun Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Nature: Careful
Quote:

Current gen gaming:

-X&Y
-B&W
-Gen 4
-Gen 3
-Gen 1&2

Then:

Challenges
Trade Corner
Battle Center
Spin-Offs
GPGD stuff

If it were up to me I would like it to go like this...
Spoiler:
General Pokemon Game Discussion
-X&Y
-B&W
-Gen 4
-Gen 3
-Gen 1&2
-Spinoffs

Extra Game Activities
Challenges
Battle Center
Trade Corner

Extra Pokemon Discussion:
Pokemon General
Pokemon Clubs
Pokemon Trivia
Pokemon Anime
Pokemon TCG

I know it makes for some really small and also somewhat large sections, but bear with me here.
First of all, you clump all the games together. Any and all Pokemon video game discussion takes place here. Next, you have the Extra Game Activities, which would serve basically as a section for anything that goes on in the games themselves that doesn't directly fit in the Game Discussion category. Extra Pokemon Discussion would basically be for all other Pokemon related topics.
As for the names of the sections....I could really care less, as long as they don't overly confuse people.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home.

Old March 12th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
At first glance, the thought of arranging the forums seemed good. However, having read more about what others have said, I think the current set up works well enough. For now. The two most notable points that stood out to me were the list for a category like Main Series Pokémon Games would eventually become rather lengthy and that would ultimately end up pushing the Battle Center and Trade Corner forums further down and away from the current games that would utilize them the most.

However, It does bring up certain contradiction. Wouldn't this mean that eventually the gaming forums will have to be reorganized? I mean, we couldn't just dump every non-current generation into General Pokémon Gaming Discussions like what was done with Fourth Gen. Otherwise, we'd have the same lengthy list of forums under one category and we'd be pushing the games away from the Trade Corner/Battle Center once again. They may be older generations by then, but they would still be games that use these particular features provided by the Trade Corner and Battle Center.

As far as forum names go, Fourth Generation Games (DS) and Fifth Generation Games may not be as creative as the names given to the first to third generation forums, but I they're straightforward enough to where everyone knows what they are right off the bat. I don't feel like the Fourth Gen or the Fifth Gen has earned a solid nickname for themselves that is universally known by the fan base as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Main Series Pokemon Games
<tl;dr here>
On paper, a forum made just for remakes would make sense. However, talking about FR/LG and HG/SS, being remakes of older games are all these two hold similar to one another. Putting a generation of games together makes far more sense than designing a forum for all remake discussions.

Reason being, a generation of Pokémon games has more in common with one another than title remakes made during different generations. With the former, there is a connection between games of the same generation that allows broader topics to be discussed in that forum. The same couldn't necessarily be said about a forum made for bringing HG/SS and FR/LG together. They're too different from one another.

If that doesn't make sense, then you also have to consider, by making a Remakes Forum, you now have DPPt as its own stand alone forum as well as RSE. Neither of which can generate enough activity to justify having their own forums as they once did. That aside, you're also adding an extra forum to the bunch which only makes the list bigger than it needs to be.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links