The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Tycen
Pokémon Professor

Nature: Relaxed
How many of you actually nickname your Pokémon? I always keep my Pokémons original names, because I love how unique they are, but I can see why people Nickname them. It forms bonds, or at least, stronger bonds than what they already had. So what I want to know is this:
Do you nickname your Pokémon?
Is there a Pokémon you always name the same when you receive them on a new game?
Do you ever transfer Pokémon from one of your games to another? (I had a level 63 Poliwrath in Crystal that I transferred over to a new Yellow, and then when I finished, I transferred him over to crystal again)
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Dark_Illusion
Psychic Trainer

Nature: Calm
I usually dont nickname any of my Pokemon. However, starting Black 2, I chose Oshawott and nicknamed him Aquarious. I dont really know why. Just seemed fitting lol. (btw, obviously a water nickname, I know.)
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Playful_Weasel
let's be friends!
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I only nickname the Pokemon that will be my companions for life (at least for that specific copy of the game). I also nickname Pokemon I will trade to my other games. For the rest of the Pokemon, no nicknames until I get ready to use them...

and now the the questions: I always answered them truthfully

Do you nickname your Pokémon? - answered above, yes, the ones I will use in my team for ever I will give them a nickname I like.

Is there a Pokémon you always name the same when you receive them on a new game? - yes, depends on gender too, I won't give a male Pokemon a female-type name. Some of them are:
00 - any female Mienfoo, Patrat, or Purrloin I catch and will use I will nickname her after the one person in the world I trust the most, my grandma, Maria. Its a typical Mexican name I also like and is easy to remember.
00 - mustelid-style (weasel, ferrets, martens, minks & otters) Pokemon I will name them after characters from the Animal Planet show "Meerkat Manor". Usually when I catch one first, their nickname will be - Male is Zaphod, and for the female Flower.
00 - usually for the main cat Pokemon i will use I just give it the same nickname, Neko

Do you ever transfer Pokémon from one of your games to another? - Yes, I do it a lot, 4 out of the 6 Pokemon in my White 2 team, I transfer over from my Black2 pc box. I sometimes transfer Pokemon over becuase of the version exclusives, for the PokeDex.
Watchog's #1 Fan!! -
PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!

my 3DS XL FC is full - My 3DS Flame Red still needs friends - 3325-3310-5332 -
Normal Safari - Lilipup, Loudred, ??? - send me a quick message if you want to be added
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:50 PM
StinkomanFan
Intern of the Pokemon world

Nature: Quirky
I name my Pokemon after either Historical figures or Musicians, depending on the game.
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:36 PM
B-L-A-Z-E
リズ

Nature: Impish
When I do nickname my Pokemon, it's usually the ones I'll be using on my main game team. When I do nickname them, I'll usually have the nickname be a reference to another series I like such as naming a Cherrim "Sakura."

You wish it was this easy...
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Brendino
Hold your breath. Make a wish. Count to three.
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Although I never bothered with it in the first two generations, since I started with Sapphire, I've always decided to nickname my Pokemon, sans legendaries. I guess I always compared leaving a Pokemon without a nickname to something like having a cat named Cat.

As for what I nickname them, it depends on my mood. I've tried everything from using anagrams of a Pokemon's name (give or take a letter), using their name in a different language, or something like that. And yes, I have transfered my Pokemon from one game to another, with half of my current White 2 party coming from either HeartGold or the original White.
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Jak
got a nickname?

Nature: Timid
I nickname all my Pokemon. There are only a few Pokemon that I always name the same thing. I name all Nidoran m (and evos) Sakaki, all Psyduck Bathroom, all Aipom Klippy (or any variant of it), and all Starmie Aili. And I'm not a big fan of transferring a Pokemon to the next gen, but I do trade them to a storage game of their gen. I sometimes transfer from gen III to IV since getting out the link cable is a bit of a hassle.

Destiny calls on me.
i will be away from august 9th - 19th
paired to klippy, mr. downstairs, and dracul
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:14 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I usually never nickname my pokemon, i think their names are already pretty cool.
Recently though, as i started doing challenges i started to nickname my Pokemon as well
First to receive this honor was Wendy the Misdreavus :D

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Starry Windy
Chyaaaaaaa~
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Sometimes I nickname my Pokémon, based on what type of Pokémon is it and the gender of that Pokémon.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:20 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

I never nickname my team, especially since I cannot think of good nicknames easily.

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:40 AM
KriegStein
Nuclear Reactor

Nature: Lonely
Do you nickname your Pokémon? Yes I usualy name those which I like alot. And use in my team.
Is there a Pokémon you always name the same when you receive them on a new game? Yes. Nidoking is always Apollo/Atlas Nidoqueen Athene. Aggron is either Claymore or Flamberge. My main flier is always Aelus regardless of what pokemon it is. And I give my starter some sort of historical name. And Gardevoir always has the name of my crush... AHEM! :'D
Do you ever transfer Pokémon from one of your games to another? I would if I could. I have lost my ds so... :'D so I play with emulators only nowadays...so no trading.

Old March 13th, 2013, 05:49 AM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

I don't think much about nicknames. I usually name them random things. Like, I bought HeartGold this Monday and named my Totodile Eliminator for some reasons. And in my LeafGreen, I named Bulbasaur Bianca. I often name Ratatas Ralph and Zubats Sucker. I never use something personal. Used to name Zigzagoon after my dog though. It kinda reminded me of him.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Torrentblade
Bring on the flood.

Nature: Timid
I called my chatot fruit loops.
Besides that, I only changed the name of a few pokemon that I had a true bond with.
Like my cobalion (cobalt), starmie (twister), meowth (mr.Kitteh) and that's pretty much it....

Adopt a pokemon at virtuadopt.com.
and, this Is Trashtench. The evolved form of garbodor...
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

Nature: Naughty
I normally only nickname my starter and team I am want to use as my main team.
Old March 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM
True Epicness
Magnificent Turnip

I usually nickname any Pokémon I think I might use in my team sometime. Also all legendaries, but for most of them it's just their actual name but without all-caps rage.

There are some I'll name the same. The Charmander line is usually Charlizard, because of the Yogscast.
At the start of games, there are usually rat-like and bird-like Pokémon to catch, and they'll be RatFish and BirdFish. Any rock or ground type for my team will usually be called The Baron. No-one defies The Baron!
A temporary plant-like grass type that usually ends up with CUT and/or FLASH is usually WTFplant. Non-legendary dragon types (primarily Dragonite) are usually GreatMish. The Ralts line usually ends up as Cabbage. Vaporeon is Q. I guess I name those the same because of primarily playing ROM hacks, with a lot of the same Pokémon being in the different games. I just pretend they're the same ones, come back. Heh, and I said "some".

Don't ever really transfer with ROMs and all. I think I did once from LeafGreen to FireRed, brought another Charizard over.

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:51 PM
piefara
human

only times i've nicknamed pokemon
first time playing pokemon named cynderquil OON (i was 5)
named my male jellycent Moustashio!
shiny kygre pinkie
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Anna
"it has no brakes"
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I nickname all my 'mon. Usually I'll just come up with a name immediately upon catching or hatching without any prior thought and probably there have been a few that have shared names, but it's pretty rare. And most of my 'mon- especially important party members- end up on my Pearl storage game because it's nice to keep them after I've grown attached to them and I never want to play that crap storyline again.

{ Pairs + Family }
{ Clubs + Theme }

Connection
Old March 15th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Meeklish
Sugarbby ::.

Send a message via Skype™ to Meeklish
I pretty much nickname every one of my Pokemon. ^.^ Especially the starter. Because apart from the bonds (lol), I dunno, nicknames just appear when I catch it. :3

But on starters, in whatever game, if it's a fire type and it's female, your name is Blaze. If you're a fire type male, your name is Flare. Water type girl, bubble. Boy, Eric. xD //Never tried grass starters so I dunno about them. :3
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Cossolotto32
Pokemon Collector!

Nature: Jolly
I've caught and have nicknamed every single one of my pokemon I have ever received. I couldn't imagine not nicknaming them. It's like their whole personality!

I do tend to stick with nicknames with certain pokemon but not most of the time. Sometimes a nickname just seems more suitable for a pokemon.
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Arlo

The only time I nickname them is for a challenge - a nuzlocke or a solo or such. When I do, I mostly use relatively common names that just seem appropriate for whatever reason. In a normal game, I never nickname them. And aside from trading nice stuff out of a game so that I can restart it, I've never traded between games, and have never traded between gens at all. I like to go into each game completely fresh and just go out into that region and make do with whatever I can catch there.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links