The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Cheers for the original title!

Since the last thread died, I figured why not recap on the topic before the region name is officially revealed at some point. So far we know the region is likely to be based off of France or at least Europe in general. Unova was based off of New York / America and while "nova" means new to signify a new region away from the previous four, some people think the name is a creative play off of United Nations o(v) America.

Doing a little digging around the internet, I found a member on another forum thought up the name "Eunon" as a play off of European Union. What do you think?

Have it, folks! What do you think the name of the new region will be? What would you like it to be?

Last edited by Guy; February 27th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Lost Christmas
Break it back down!
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I don't think the name Unova wasn't supposed to be based of America even though alot of the places within the game do resemble it, You add a wild V out of nowhere which just makes me think that is kind of a stab at nothing. If you look up the meaning of the word Unova on Bulbapedia it will tell you that it means "one" or "united" which has quite a good meaning in the pokemon world, especially with the storyline given to use in Black and White.

As for what the possible name could be for the region, it's hard to say really the names of the previous generations have never really gone of anything specific (I am not talking about the actual landscapes of the regions just about the names). I think that it might be something that sounds slightly French/Spanish/Italian/Portuguese or German just as a general opinion but this speculation thread is probably one of the hardest ones to put a actual idea together on.

Some people will get all technical and say well actually if you google the region names it gives you the meaning and where what there Japanese/Chinese names mean, but if you actually look at the most it's more just old sayings rather than any relation to an actual place.

Good topic to discuss though!

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Maybe it will be something like Vilance (after Viva la France) for the english name.
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Forever
let it go

Eunon wouldn't really be that great imo. I mean sure it's easily pronounced but I feel like it's lacking in something - maybe just that it shouldn't start with e...? I feel like they'll go with something U or R-related for some reason, though!
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't feel like Eunon or Vilance really roll off the tongue at all, but they do make sense. I will say that with a worldwide release I'm guessing that we might have just a single region name instead of having a different one for different languages.
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Hm, I dunno, I think the name is going to be pretty unpredictable this time around. There really isn't a set "theme" that GF name their regions, but... Unova can be portrayed as a region that has a particular name that was based of of America. So, they can probably try the same thing with France, or in Europe in general. Fraope? Eurnce? Those are just names combined. But, honestly? They can contest with anything at this point.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
My guess is a silent "s" will appear somewhere in the name and that's as much as I got. I don't really see how predicting a region name is a thing, but I definitely expect French influence.
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Its either going to be something vague and French if the region is more of a France based one then European, or its going to have some sort of similar United etymology like Unova if its Europe in general like other said. I'm leaning towards something more concentrated, cause I honestly see Europe getting some regions.
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I'm thinking that the new region name in English would be something like Magvita, which is a combination of great and life in Latin (magnus and vita), like how Unova was named from 'unum novum' which means one new in English.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Sean
I live where the sky ends
Community Supporter

I feel that it'll be a very science oriented game, with the name X and Y resembling chromosomes, so I'm thinking along the lines of a word that has a scientific meaning behind it, but it isn't too in your face kind of science.
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Handsome Samurott

I expect a French-related name, as what we have seen in the X and Y trailer seems to represent France, particularly Paris.
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Leader Adam View Post
I don't think the name Unova wasn't supposed to be based of America even though alot of the places within the game do resemble it, You add a wild V out of nowhere which just makes me think that is kind of a stab at nothing. If you look up the meaning of the word Unova on Bulbapedia it will tell you that it means "one" or "united" which has quite a good meaning in the pokemon world, especially with the storyline given to use in Black and White.
The added v was to replace the sound f makes in the word "of". I didn't actually create that, but it has been one of the many fan-made theories as to how Unova got its name. Bulbapedia also makes reference of this. I was simply referring to it as an example if one wanted to try and do the same for this region knowing it's based off of France/Europe.

One thing that is probably likely to occur, there's probably going to be an o somewhere in the name. :p
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Esper

How about Savole as a name?

The French word 'savoir' means "to know" (as in knowledge, not 'knowing' someone). Related to words like 'savant.' That's kind of generic enough to be a theme for these games: knowledge, like scientific knowledge.

The 'vol' comes from evolution (tying in the supposed genetics them and Pokemon generally) and revolution (to give it that extra French feel). In both words it comes from a word meaning roughly "to roll or twist." Twist, as in how a double-helix is twisted. (And I think even the word 'helix' is related etymologically.)

It kind of looks French, doesn't it?

deviantart blog pair
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:39 AM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn

One thing that is probably likely to occur, there's probably going to be an o somewhere in the name. :p
oh, now thats just crazy talk. i mean, just look at all the regions that don't have it, Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova. oh... i see... there is that one region in a pokemon ranger game, isn't there?

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Torrentblade
Bring on the flood.

Nature: Timid
....what about something to do with..... dinosaurs?......maybe.....the oreino region, ore=chunks of unsmelted metal usually found around fossils and Ino=dinosaur so..... maybe that would work? oh and roosterman the region your thinking of is called the almia region.

Adopt a pokemon at virtuadopt.com.
and, this Is Trashtench. The evolved form of garbodor...
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrentblade View Post
....what about something to do with..... dinosaurs?......maybe.....the oreino region, ore=chunks of unsmelted metal usually found around fossils and Ino=dinosaur so..... maybe that would work? oh and roosterman the region your thinking of is called the almia region.
Someone already beat you to this idea. There's an Orre region in some of the spinoff games.

deviantart blog pair
Old February 28th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Torrentblade
Bring on the flood.

Nature: Timid
aww.... thats a shame, i haven't even played the games that are set in that region....

Adopt a pokemon at virtuadopt.com.
and, this Is Trashtench. The evolved form of garbodor...
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Forever
let it go

I got a theory the other day. Region X, and Region Y. Each is altered slightly in region-design based on the game you have, and the name changes based upon the game you have. It also sounds deep, too, because you have to find out what's behind it. Welcome to the X Region, Forever! Here in the Region X we concentrate on... etc. I think it's actually... really likely to happen and I'm not sure why.
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Hey, I do like that idea~ ^^

Region "X" and Region "Y", huh? Those regions do sound like the have a mysterious air to it. Perhaps those regions of course were named after the legendary pokemon that protects it? Hm. But, I haven't really thought about the possibility that places can be simply be named after letters, but it can be quite cool to see!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 16th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Nauje
A sofa in San Tropez...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
How about the region 'XY'; however, in Pokemon X at first you can only explore the 'X' part of the region and vice versa with Pokemon Y, then like G/S/C/HH/SS with Kanto you can explore the other region after defeating the Pokemon League (which is the same in both games)? Both games could have completely different sets of gyms, and with sixteen types of Pokemon we could actually have a game with a gym for every type?

And finally, just like Red, you can challenge the opposite gender of the sixth gen which before in the NPCs from the other part of the region had talked about being the new Champion or something. Just a thought.

EDIT: I realised I went off-topic and babbled on after the semi-colon aha, sorry about that.
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

If they do something like that, I wouldn't mind the option for an oracle of ages/seasons style deal. You can still go to the new region, but if you start off with someone else save for it, you get a new game plus sorta deal. You can find their captured Pokemon in the wild, perhaps have gym and Elite 4 team records, and hell perhaps even all their items. I can see it working for some reason.
Old March 16th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Forever
let it go

Hmmm XY sounds better but a little too complicated of a name. X OR Y on the other hand has mystery to it imo.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

I really don't like the ideas of having Region X and Region Y. It doesn't sound mysterious to me, it just sounds silly to me. I don't think that Game Freak is going to make some giant twist and make two separate regions for honestly no reason. All Pokémon has ever been known for is having region exclusives between two games that have the same region. I don't see that changing any time soon.
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:00 PM
A3R0D4C7YL
Dark Type Master

I'd think it'd be somethin like Enoshi or somethin because "Fancy" in Japanese is Fanshi and Europe and Union...Paris/France is kinda fancy and so are other places in Europe I guess...so yea En-oh-SHE ...

My Youtube: http://youtube.com/superstition456
So yea...subscribe or something!

Aerodactyl! Weavile! ATTACK!!!

Old March 18th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Forever
let it go

It'd only slightly alter, really. And if it's X and Y, I certainly would want to find out why it's only one or two letters for the name of a WHOLE REGION tbh -making it mysterious. :x

Sponsored Links