The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fourth Generation

Notices

Fourth Generation Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum kicked off the fourth generation of Pokémon. Two years later, fans of the Johto region were treated to a remastered adventure in HeartGold & SoulSilver. Discuss the games, explore the features, share your experiences, and help other players out!

Old March 17th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Aslan
the pretender

Nature: Relaxed
In Generation IV, we saw the introduction of an item called a plate. Not as in something you eat off for meals, it was like a thick rectangular object that came in various colours and inscriptions. There were sixteen of them, each for a different type except for normal. Now for those of you who don't know, these plates could change Arceus into another form, e.g. if you gave Arceus a Draco Plate it would turn into a Dragon-type.

But it's not only Arceus who is restricted to using these plates, if you give one to any Pokemon it'll raise their move powers of a certain type. It sounds a bit confusing the way I worded it but here's an example. Let's say I have a Magmar and give it a Flame Plate, this would raise any of it's fire-type moves by 20%.

So my question to you is, what did you think of these 'plates'? Should they of been removed or not implemented into the game at all? How did you feel about exploring the region, looking everywhere for them as they were usually difficult to find? Did you like their purpose? Anything else? And go!

i'd rather be anything but ordinary, please.
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I like the fact that the plates served 2 purposes: Like the "other" type-boosting items (e.g. the sharp beak, twisted spoon and so on) they would increase the damage your pokemon could cause, making them stronger. What's really cool though is the fact that thanks to them, Arceus can become a Pokemon of any type! Not only is this very unique, it also fits perfectly, since Arceus is the Pokemon "God". So all in all, i thought they were nice to have

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Mewtwomew
The fool with the plan

Nature: Gentle
I really like them. Really handy if your 'mon has most of it's moves of the same type as the elemental plate given to said pokemon. But if it only has one move of the same type, well there's not much use for the plate there ._.
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Dragolien
Unhatched Egg

Well if the plates were discontinued, then Arceus would lose a lot of its overall power and dominance in the Pokemon World. You don't have to look for them, but if you wanted to, then you justhad to work a little harder. A 20% boost is good, but not overpowered. I do like them, not overly, but just as a little addition to the vast collection of ways to make your pokemon better.
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Jak
mother of challenges

Nature: Timid
The Plates have a purpose, since they're to give Arceus a type other than Normal and make use of its signature move. So I don't see why I or anyone else would have a problem with them and want them removed. The inscriptions were pretty neat too.
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Hikamaru
out of this world
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Sydian's basically right, without the Plates, Arceus wouldn't be able to take advantage of its ability or even its signature move Judgment. The fact the Plates also have a secondary effect of boosting the power of attacks of a certain type also helps give it a niche on other Pokemon as well.

The inscriptions were also fun to read when I picked them up, and they weren't all that bad to use.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links